watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (26/05/11)

Started by WhiteJC, May 26, 2011, 07:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/hughes-starts-fulham-talks-1217965.html?

Hughes starts Fulham talks

It's understood Fulham have started talks with Mark Hughes over a new deal, with the Welshman linked with two other managerial roles.
Although Hughes penned a two-year contract last summer, there have been suggestions that he could move on from Craven Cottage during the summer.

The 47-year-old is believed to be on the list of potential new managers at his former club Bayern Munich, while Hughes has also been mentioned as a potential replacement for Gerard Houllier at Aston Villa.

Hughes has always stated that he is happy to remain with the Cottagers and the Fulham board are hopeful of tieing him down to a longer deal during the close season.

After shaky start to the season, the former Manchester City and Blackburn boss lead Fulham to eighth in the Premier League this season - four places and three points better than last season.

WhiteJC

Riverside Season Tickets

With 2011/12 Season Tickets selling faster than ever before, availability is rapidly reducing! There are still some great locations available to buy, but only for those fans who get in now.

The Riverside Stand is already over three quarters full, however, some excellent seats that will provide you with fantastic views of the Whites in action next season remain available.

Some blocks still have two or more seats next to each other, allowing you to sit with a friend or family member.

Facing the oldest existing stand in English Football, your match view will be set against the backdrop of the Johnny Haynes Stand and the iconic Cottage which have remained practically unchanged since 1905.

Located on the same side of the ground as the dugout, you will catch first glimspe of players warming up and be able to see Mark Hughes giving orders from his technical area.

Not only will you benefit from great views of the action from the Riverside Stand, but you can meet with friends for a bite to eat or a drink pre-match and at half-time on the serene Riverside Terrace overlooking the Thames. The Riverside Stand is home to the majority of Fulham's hospitality suites, making it the perfect location to enjoy a matchday.

Don't miss your chance to grab one of the few remaining Season Ticket seats in the Riverside Stand.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/GreatSeasonTicketLocationsStillAvailable.aspx?#ixzz1NRAsq9YC

WhiteJC

Fulham - I Don`t!
And there was I celebrating the fact that Fulham had two players in the current England squad.

Wrong!

It only transpires that one of them has pulled out!

David Stockdale, one of three keepers named, has had to inform Fabio Capello and his management team that he isn`t available for the fixture against Switzerland.

The small matter of David getting married the day before the fixture has kyboshed any chance of David pulling on an England shirt!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242798#ixzz1NRBA1bei

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/sunderland/6951666/TT-s-Premier-League-unsung-heroes?

TT's Premier League unsung heroes

With TEAMtalk's Soccers to be handed out next week, Jon Holmes picks out a team of Premier League players whose efforts may go unrecognised.

Fulham's considerable achievement in finishing eighth in the Premier League this season has to a large extent gone unnoticed, unlike the Michael Jackson statue outside Craven Cottage, which was attracting large crowds when I was at the ground for the Arsenal game on Sunday. The likeness is no better on closer inspection, I can assure you.

Unsung heroes were on my mind as I followed the Thames back towards Putney Bridge on a sunny summer afternoon. It's hard not to reflect wistfully on the season as a whole as you walk away from the final match of the campaign, and with precious little to shout about from my own club's fortunes on the pitch (Plymouth Argyle - administrated and relegated), I was keen to highlight those in the Premier League who warrant a mention for their efforts in 2010/11.

All these players will have been rightly praised by their own supporters in recent months and some will have picked up club awards. However, the purpose of the exercise is not only to spread some love away from the likes of Chicharito, Bale, Parker, Kompany and Hart, but also to highlight some names which may have been, like Fulham, relatively overlooked.

So here's a team and nine substitutes, with all 20 top-flight clubs represented, which scratches beneath the surface of the world's richest league...

Goalkeeper: Asmir Begovic (Stoke): Younger than Golden Gloves winner Joe Hart, winner of the Potters' young player of the season gong, and kept eight clean sheets in 28 league starts.

Right-back: Martin Kelly (Liverpool): Made his full Premier League debut in the 2-0 home win over Chelsea, won man-of-the-match awards for his performances in big games against Manchester United and Everton, described as "turbo-charged" by Jamie Carragher - and only just turned 21.

Centre-back: Antolin Alcaraz (Wigan): Snapped up on a free before Paraguay's World Cup jaunt in South Africa and after a sluggish start, got better and better. Voted Latics' best in show by his team-mates.

Centre-back: Ian Evatt (Blackpool): Picking a Seasiders defender might seem strange with the club having conceded 78 goals this season, but the burly ex-Chesterfield man should be remembered for his determined, committed approach (and not that own goal at Old Trafford). Blackpool's official website users recognised his worth by handing him the club's John Schofield Memorial Trophy.

Left-back: Phil Bardsley (Sunderland): Quite a season for someone who thought about quitting Wearside last summer having been underused by Steve Bruce. 37 appearances, three belting long-range goals, international football with Scotland and the Black Cats' player of the season award.

Right wing: Junior Hoilett (Blackburn): Rovers are often labelled a team of bruisers, but jet-heeled Canadian forward Hoilett breaks that mould. His stunner against West Brom was named the club's goal of the season and he looks set to be handed a bumper new contract.

Central midfield: Chris Brunt (West Brom): Eleven assists puts him fourth equal in the Premier League contributions chart, and the versatile 26-year-old Northern Irishman has also been rewarded for his maturity by being made permanent Baggies skipper.

Central midfield: Dickson Etuhu (Fulham). Dempsey and Hangeland tend to win most of the plaudits down by the river in SW6, but Etuhu is ranked just behind them in the Castrol Index's analysis of the Cottagers. Certainly physical, but also pretty skilful.

Left wing: Marc Albrighton (Aston Villa). An up-and-down season perhaps, disrupted by illness, but he's still only 21 and there were flashes of brilliance. Scored an outstanding goal at Fulham and could be one to watch at the Under-21 Euros.

Striker: Steven Fletcher (Wolves). Only just squeaked into double figures, but made a telling overall contribution to Wolves' successful survival battle and proved to be well worth the £6.5million shelled out to Burnley nine months ago.

Striker: Didier Drogba (Chelsea). Bear with me on this one... it's rare that the big Ivorian is forgotten about, but I'm not sure he's received enough credit for his role in dragging the Blues back into the runners-up spot. And with 12 goals and 15 assists, no player had a part in more Premier League goals in 2010/11.

Substitutes: Steve Harper (Newcastle); Sylvain Distin (Everton), William Gallas (Tottenham), Pablo Zabaleta (Man City); Craig Gardner (Birmingham), Mark Noble (West Ham), Michael Carrick (Man Utd), Lee Chung-Yong (Bolton); Theo Walcott (Arsenal).

Manager: Roberto Di Matteo (West Brom). Sacked in early February after what was undoubtedly a dodgy run, but hark back to your response when you heard the news of the his departure. Shocked? After all, Albion had recorded a thrilling 3-2 win at Arsenal, had hammered Everton 4-1 at Goodison, were the only team to have taken points off Manchester United at Old Trafford, and were playing some fantastic attacking football down at the Hawthorns. OK, so the defence was a bit all over the place (only Blackpool conceded more) but don't say Di Matteo couldn't lift his players. The Baggies had the greatest resolve over the course of the campaign, claiming 27 points from losing positions - and 14 of those were grasped back under the Italian's watch.

Chairman/Owner: Dave Whelan (Wigan). Jaws dropped on the opening day when brilliant Blackpool coasted to a 4-0 win at the DW Stadium, and when Latics were hit for six the following weekend by Chelsea, the pressure was fierce for Roberto Martinez, who looked to be suffering from second season syndrome. But the Spaniard was backed to the hilt by Whelan, and results steadily improved to the point where Wigan hung in there and then peaked at just the right time. Once viewed as a bit of a Northern windbag for the media, Whelan kept his mouth shut for the majority of the campaign and let Martinez get on with the hard graft. And when he did speak out, it was with more considered ideas on big issues (salary caps, the ongoing mess at the FA, etc) that won him wider respect within the game.

Fans: Manchester City. City fans have felt hard done by on several occasions in the last year or two, frustrated by the media's focus on the millions sloshing around in the Eastlands coffers and perceived exaggeration of squabbles on the training pitch and in the boardroom. But credit where it's due, City have won a lot of friends this season and a lot of that is due to the supporters themselves. It's not just about the Poznan, it's about good humour and spirited support - and while there are countless examples of this all around the country, not least from FA Cup opponents Stoke, I tip my hat to the City faithful and the success they helped to achieve this year.

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/euro-2012/england/7762/3/exclusive-–-stockdale-fabio-said-he'd-rather-i-went-my-wedding-wembley?

Exclusive – Stockdale: Fabio said he'd rather I went to my wedding than Wembley

Fulham goalkeeper David Stockdale has told talkSPORT that Fabio Capello gave him his blessing to get married rather than face Switzerland next month.

After recent problems with his glovemen Capello had called upon the former Darlington shot stopper, who has excelled when used by Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage this season.

And Stockdale revealed that although it was disappointing to have to pull out he's still proud about his call-up.

He told Drive Time: "It's one of those things, when we arranged it unfortunately I wasn't a part of the England plans but seeing as I've done OK this season Fabio decided to call me up. It was a catch-22 situation.

"[My fiancée] offered to move [the wedding], we rang the church, the hotel and had alternative dates and when I spoke to England they were brilliant about it and told me not to be silly so we just left it as it was.

"I'm glad she's going to be my wife the way she handled it. For a wife-to-be to try to move a wedding, when I've had six months to a year of earache trying to organise this one. Trying to change it in six days isn't the easiest thing so I give all credit to her and both our families for trying to get me in the England squad.

"I don't like it being called 'dropping out' because I'd never drop out for my country if it had anything to do with anything other than the missus.

"It was nice of [Fabio] to ring me and let me know he'd rather have me going to my wedding.

"I'm the proudest guy at the moment even though I've had to withdraw from the squad, it's all about getting in there, it's every footballers dream and I've come from the lower leagues like Joe [Hart] has.

"Fingers crossed I can get playing next year and get in other squads and I won't be withdrawing from them."

WhiteJC

End of Season DVD

The 2010/11 Season Review DVD is now available for you to pre-order and relive some of the best moments in what was an amazing season for Fulham FC.

The 2010/11 season was another successful campaign in English football's top flight and was Fulham's 10th consecutive season in the Premier League. New Manager, Mark Hughes, delivered dynamic and attacking football to the Cottage and results on the pitch followed as the team continued to improve throughout the season to finish 8th in the table, their second highest in the Club's Premier League history.

Amongst many memorable results there were some standout performances including a thrilling encounter with Tottenham Hotspur in which Fulham beat North London neighbours 4-0 in the FA Cup, with goals coming from all quarters thanks to Murphy, Hangeland, and Dembele. And the season saw some individual milestones as Clint Dempsey capped off a stunning campaign by claiming the record as the Club's highest ever goal scorer in a Premier League season.

Pre-order your copy now for delivery from 22nd June 2011.

Relive every goal and every victory, along with exclusive player interviews, in this record of the 2010/11 season and pre-order today!

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/EndofSeasonDVD.aspx?#ixzz1NRCLSOw0

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/05/25/jonathan-greening-makes-fulham-claim-82029-28764419/?

Jonathan Greening makes Fulham claim

FULHAM have done better this season than anyone had a right to expect, according to Jonathan Greening.

The midfielder says the change of manager and style of play from last season could easily have been a recipe for disaster, but the players deserve credit for adapting so well.

"I think we have exceeded expectations this year," Greening said.

"It's always hard when you lose somebody who has ingrained you to play a certain way and we probably found it hard to get out of it really.

"The new manager [Mark Hughes] didn't really want us to play that way and now I think we are a bit more attacking and are playing a bit more like the manager wants."

Greening added: "He said after Sunday's game that he's proud of the way we've all pulled together and worked hard.

"We've got a really good team spirit here and haven't got any big time Charlies. Finishing eighth makes it a great season really."

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivetime/blog/2011-05-25/stockdale-i'll-try-and-get-fulham-no-1-spot-back?

Stockdale: I'll try and get the Fulham No. 1 spot back

David Stockdale has told talkSPORT he understands why he was dropped by Mark Hughes despite his good from and has revealed he will do his best to get the no. 1 spot back.

He told Drive Time: "It's the manager's decision, you can't really go with someone who's played ten games over someone who's played 610. I understand his decision. I think it was probably right for the team at the time.

"I'm a realist and I work hard and I'll try and get that spot back when I can. I'm a typical northern lad that got a break and I just want to do the best that I can for everyone.

"It's just a buzzing being in and around the Premier League never mind England. I'm happy to be named in a Premier League 18 never mind an England squad so I'm just taking each day as it comes and it's a nice dilemma to have when you're trying to pick your country or your future wife."

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/26/kenny-dalglish-danny-murphy-liverpool

Liverpool's Kenny Dalglish responds to Murphy's 'little pressure' claim
• Murphy pointed out Reds had played 'under very little pressure'
• We played fantastic that night against Fulham, says Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish has taken Danny Murphy to task after the Fulham captain claimed Liverpool have to prove they can perform under pressure when they bid to return to the Champions League next season.

Liverpool were transformed in the second half of the season under Dalglish, rising from 12th when he replaced Roy Hodgson as manager in January to sixth and only missing out on the Europa League after losing their final two matches. Among several impressive performances was a 5-2 win at Fulham on 9 May, after which Murphy praised his former club's revival but claimed Liverpool's woeful start to the season had allowed them to play without pressure in the final months.

When asked if Liverpool could challenge for the title in 2012, Murphy replied: "It's hard to say because they have been playing under very little pressure. They haven't needed to go out and win games, and everything they get now is a bonus. It will be a different ask for those players to play under pressure every week if they are near the top, but with Kenny in charge and a few more additions they will be pushing for the top four again."

Dalglish is unhappy with that evaluation, however, and has rebuked a player who championed Hodgson's credentials for the Liverpool job that he sought last summer. The Liverpool manager said: "He [Murphy] should know there is always pressure here. He played here long enough, didn't he? I just know that we played fantastic that night against Fulham and so does he.

"There's always a caveat in there somewhere, isn't there? There's always somebody that asks a question. But if you take any pride in your work, you are under pressure in any walk of life. It's not just exclusive to football. You worry about their ability to play first, and I'm sure the players can handle anything else that comes with it."

Dalglish says he did not want the season to end having won 10 of 18 Premier League games since taking charge. "The season has only been a short one for myself having come in in January," he said. "You don't feel ready for a holiday and want it to continue. There will be plenty of enthusiasm in July when we come back."

Having confirmed Liverpool will be in the market for top‑quality additions this summer, the Scot is adamant he will have a squad capable of handling and fulfilling expectations next season. "The expectation is for everybody to build on what has happened since January, have a good summer and go into every game with the same attitude and commitment as we have shown since January. If you put those things in place, then we aren't going to be too far away.

"Everyone is looking forward to next season, which wouldn't have been the case if we had stayed 12th. The fans are looking forward to it and so are the players. The disappointment of earlier in the season doesn't do them any harm, because once you win a couple of games you see how enjoyable it is. We only need to show improvement, and that will be a successful season. If we improve on what we've done this season next season, then I don't think anybody can be disappointed."

WhiteJC

The Fulham end of season report and summer transfer guide, by Neil McLeman

So that was the season that was. Our expert reporters have their say below. But how was it for you? Let us know by leaving a comment below...

Sum up the season in 140 characters or less...
Slow start, terrible run of eight games without a win culminating in horrendous Boxing Day defeat to West Ham, followed by strong finish

Hero?
Clint Dempsey - top scorer led the line while the Fulham forward line was devastated by injuries

Villain?
Karl Henry - the Wolves midfielder's leg-breaking tackle on Bobby Zamora in September also injured Fulham for nearly three months

Will the manager still be there in August?
Good question as Mark Hughes is halfway through a two-year contract. Negotiations have started about a new deal but the former Wales manager might be in no rush. A calculated gamble to take the job after eight months out, his stock dipped and has now risen. Would he he tempted if the Aston Villa job became available?

Funniest moment?
Mark Schwarzer's performance in 5-2 home defeat to Liverpool

Your personal highlight?
While many autocratic Middle Eastern dictators fell this season, owner Mohamed Al Fayed still carries out his pre-match waddle around the pitch and laps up the applause of his followers

Key lesson learned for 2011-12
You can never have enough strength in depth, though it is a difficult balancing act at a club the size of Fulham.

What areas need strengthening in the summer?
Full-backs. And how much longer can Danny Murphy be the creative inspiration in the centre of midfield

Who should they be targeting?
Paul Konchesky was an excellent Fulham player but average at Liverpool. On-loan Eidur Gudjohnsen has yet to score but has linked play well.

Who needs to go?
Full-backs John Pantsil and Carlos Salcido. Internationals Eddie Johnson and Bjorn Riise have hardly figured this season.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/blogs/mirror-football-blog/Fulham-2010-11-season-rated-hero-villain-manager-funniest-moment-summer-transfers-and-more-by-Neil-McLeman-article740669.html#ixzz1NREDsRM7

WhiteJC

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/refereeing/news/newsid=1635005.html?rss=1635005+DamkovÃ%C2%83¡+up+for+Lyon-Potsdam+challenge

Damková up for Lyon-Potsdam challenge
Published: Thursday 26 May 2011, 11.12CET

Dagmar Damková will add the 2011 UEFA Women's Champions League final to an impressive list of deciders she has refereed on Thursday and is determined to give her all at Craven Cottage.

Dagmar Damková will add another string to her considerable bow when she takes charge of tonight's UEFA Women's Champions League final between Olympique Lyonnais and 1. FFC Turbine Potsdam in London.

This competition has been kind to the 36-year-old Czech, whose appearance in the second leg of the 2006 final – where Potsdam relinquished their European crown to German rivals 1. FFC Frankfurt – proved the precursor to her refereeing the final of the 2008 Olympic women's tournament in Beijing and the following year's UEFA European Women's Championship.

After completing a pre-match training session at Craven Cottage, Fulham, along with her Czech refereeing team – assistants Adriana Šecová and Lucie Ratajová, and fourth official Jana Adámková – Damková took time out to speak to UEFA.com.

UEFA.com: How honoured are you to be selected for the final?

Dagmar Damková: It's excellent, just perfect. I will do my best as I always try to and I just hope that it will be a perfect evening for everybody. I'll be happy if people say the refereeing team performed well.

UEFA.com: Of all the games you have handled, which was the most memorable?

Damková: These are all the finals I've had – [UEFA Women's] EURO 2009 in Finland and the Olympic Games. Then there's the final I had in what used to be the UEFA [Women's] Cup. It used to be two legs but that was also perfect. I would also include the final of the men's Czech Cup at home in 2006 between [AC] Sparta Praha and [FC] Baník Ostrava. It's nice to remember all these finals.

UEFA.com: Will it make a difference to have three Czech officials alongside you?

Damková: It's good, definitely, and I'm happy that they're here with me. But when I'm at other tournaments I'm used to going with different assistants from different countries anyway so I don't mind who I work with.

UEFA.com: Has stopping full-time teaching this year made a difference to your refereeing career?

Damková: Yes, I have more time for training, more time to concentrate before games. Now I'm free anytime I'm called to work at a match, so being available is good.

UEFA.com: Women's football has become increasingly professional since you entered the FIFA list in 1999. Does that go for the match officials too?

Damková: Yes, definitely. I think it goes hand in hand with football, which is faster now. We have a lot of courses, a lot of seminars. There are lots of teaching materials and we have great lectures – things have moved forward a lot.

©UEFA.com 1998-2011. All rights reserved.

LBNo11

A Place In History
Thursday 26th May 2011
Join us||||
Share If you're looking to purchase a Season Ticket at Fulham Football Club| for the 2011/12 campaign, you will not just be supporting the oldest London club in the Barclays Premier League next season, you will be sitting in a stadium steeped in rich history.

Last week we looked back at the history of Craven Cottage up to the end of the 1930's when attendances were at an all time high. We managed to find some historical images of the Johnny Haynes Stand as it is now known, and the iconic Cottage which has now stood for over 100 years.

This week will we continue our journey through time and focus on The Johnny Haynes era, up until his Fulham career ended in 1970. Haynes' club career record of 158 goals in 658 games still stands and The Maestro is quite simply know as Fulham's greatest ever player.

Next Page
"He was without doubt one of the greatest players this country has ever produced. He ranks alongside Wright, Matthews, Charlton, Finney, Lofthouse and Moore, great club men and international players. He loved the game and was a sensational player." Bobby Robson

"He's the best passer of the ball I've ever seen. It was as if he possessed his own internal guided missile system." Pele

"Any suggestion that he lives anywhere other than the Pantheon is an insult to anyone who saw him play." Michael Parkinson

"Forget David Beckham or Glenn Hoddle. Johnny Haynes was the best passer of the ball the game has ever seen." Jimmy Greaves 

A Place in History – Part 2
We pick up A Place in History in 1948. The team photo below shows the newly crowned champions of Division Two. A great run of form towards the end of the season saw Fulham draw one and win six out of their last seven games on their way to beat West Bromwich Albion to the title by a single point.

Interestingly, with goalkeeper Doug Flack injured for the final three games of the season, and reserve stopper Ted Hinton injured, Larry Gage stepped in to deputise and performed brilliantly in two wins and one draw. These three games were his only appearances for Fulham.

Fulham team photographed with their Second Division Championship trophy. (Back row, l-r) Eddie Perry (team manager) Harry Freeman, Len Quested, Doug Flack, Jim Taylor, Joe Bacuzzi, Pat Beasley, Frank Penn (trainer). (Front row, l-r) Ron Lewin, Arthur Stevens, Robert Thomas, Arthur Rowley, Sidney Thomas, John McDonald, Dave Bewley

On December 27th, 1952, the famous Johnny Haynes made his Fulham debut in a 1-1 draw, his first goal came at home against West Ham United in a 3-2 defeat. The rest, as they say is history. The next season Haynes, still only 18 years of age, scored 18 goals in all competitions. Pictured below is Johnny Haynes in 1950, aged 15 and stood in front of the stand which now carries his name.

Here is a selection of images of The Maestro playing at Craven Cottage in the 1950's and early 1960's, starting with a shot from 1955 in a match against Hull City.   

In the next shot Haynes, playing inside-left (white shirt), leaps above his marker against Yeovil Town to head the ball against the cross bar during the Third Round FA Cup tie at the Cottage in January 1958.

Another famous name from the 50s, Sir Bobby Robson, was playing for Fulham, signing in October 1950 from a team in County Durham called Langley Park. Robson had offers from both Sunderland and Newcastle United but opted for a move to London instead.

Alongside Johnny Haynes and Beddy Jezzard, the trio formed a great partnership up front, with Robson scoring 19 goals in 1952/53 and 23 goals in 1954/55. He left for West Bromwich Albion in 1956 for a fee of £25,000.

Sir Bobby returned to Craven Cottage for another five seasons before he ended his playing career in 1967 and remodelled his style to be a more defensive player. Sir Bobby is pictured below heading towards goal against Hull City in front of the historic Johnny Haynes Stand gable in November 1953.

Fulham won the game 5-1 with Robson and Haynes scoring two each and Jezzard netted the other. The three scorers that day scored 68 of Fulham's 98 league goals.

Bedford Jezzard scored a total of 154 goals in just 306 games for Fulham. He joined from Watford in July 1948 and made 30 appearances in the 1948/49 promotion season.

He scored 27 goals in the top flight for Fulham over three seasons but really thrived after Fulham's relegation to Division Two at the end of 1951/52. In two seasons between 1952 and 1954 he found the net an astonishing 74 times in just 84 appearances, his 39 goals in the 1953/54 season remains Fulham's best post 1945 total in one season.

He also played twice for England in the 1955 season. Bedford, nicknames 'Beddy' is pictured below trying to reach a cross in an FA Cup Third Round replay against Charlton in January1950.

Another famous name playing for Fulham during the 1950's was Jimmy Hill.  His professional playing days began at Brentford in 1949 despite a brief spell at Fulham juniors in 1943. He signed for Fulham in 1952 as a half back and moved further forward to fill the void left when Sir Bobby Robson signed for West Bromwich Albion in 1954.

He totalled 52 goals in 297 appearances for Fulham in ten seasons before being forced into retirement in 1961. He is pictured below beating Doncaster Rovers goalkeeper to the ball in 1956.

Keep an eye out for A Place in History Part Three next week, which will look towards the 1970's.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/APlaceInHistoryPartTwo.aspx#ixzz1NS4yOn5n
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

Back In Europe!

Fulham are making a return to European football next season in the UEFA Europa League.

The 2009/10 UEFA Europa League Finalists received confirmation on Thursday morning from the Barclays Premier League that Fulham's final position in the Fair Play League had earned the Club a place in Europe.

The UEFA Europa League draw for the first and second Qualifying Rounds will be made in Geneva on the 20th June. Fulham's first round match (two legs) will take place on the 30th June and 7th July.

Final Barclays Premier League Fair Play Table

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/BackInEurope.aspx#ixzz1NSd4omRu

WhiteJC

European Challenge

Fulham's return to European football was confirmed by the Barclays Premier League on Thursday morning and manager Mark Hughes is looking forward to the challenge of navigating his Team through the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Europa League.

The draw for Fulham's first round opponents will take place in Geneva on the 20th June and whilst Hughes is clearly not underestimating the various challenges that today's announcement will pose, he is evidently relishing the prospect of leading his Team into Europe.

"We've got a very early start to the season and we will have to come back on something like June 23rd for a match on June 30th," Hughes told to fulhamfc.com. "We'll have three to four weeks break maximum so it's difficult to plan for.

"A huge amount of thought needs to go into the guys that need the rest and making sure we have the right quality on the field to move through the competition in the early rounds. If you don't get it right you'll get knocked out.

"It's difficult but I've done it before when I was at Manchester City. We basically replaced pre-season games with competitive games so you can benefit from it. For the beginning of the season you should arguably be in better shape than the teams that have played friendly matches. You've got to hope towards the end of the season it doesn't have a detrimental impact.

"It's a big ask for every club and it's not just the players. It's the management, the Sports Science department and all people that drive the First Team.

"Whatever competitions you're in you have to pay them respect and do as well as you can, but you have to manage your resources correctly. We're in it to win it and we'll get as far as we can. The Club enjoyed a fantastic adventure in the Europa League in 2010 and we'll do our best to replicate that.

"European football is important. It helps you develop and gives you an insight into different teams and players. If you have more exposure to tests abroad that will help you as a team."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesEuropaConfirmation.aspx#ixzz1NSeRdXRq

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/26/fulham-fair-play-europa-league?

Fulham to take England's Fair Play place in Europa League
• Fulham's spot confirmed despite final day red card
• England received additional Europa League place

The Premier League has confirmed that Fulham will take up England's Fair Play place in the Europa League next season.

Mark Hughes's side had only one player sent off in league matches all season – the red card coming in the last game, leading to suggestions that relegated Blackpool could pip them to the spot.

Chelsea finished top of the Fair Play League but had already qualified for the Champions League and Fulham were in second spot.

The Premier League said: "Fulham has finished the season as the highest placed club in the 2010-11 Fair Play League that has not already qualified for Uefa competitions via the 2010-11 Premier League.

"The club will take the additional European place awarded to England and compete in next season's Uefa Europa League."

England received an additional Europa League place for next season after finishing second in Uefa's national fair play table based on results from all Uefa club and international matches played over the season.

WhiteJC

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8537902/Fulham-handed-a-Europa-League-place-through-the-Premier-Leagues-Fair-Play-League.html

Fulham handed a Europa League place through the Premier League's Fair Play League
Fulham will play in the Europa League next season via the Premier League's Fair Play League.

League of their own: Fulham will enjoy another run in the Europa League thanks to England's Fair Play League entry
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

Mark Hughes' side had just one player sent off in league matches all season - that happened in the very last game leading to suggestions that relegated Blackpool could pip them to the spot.

Chelsea finished top of the Fair Play League but had already qualified for the Champions League and Fulham were in second spot.

The Premier League said in a statement: ''Fulham FC has finished the season as the highest placed club in the 2010/11 Fair Play League that has not already qualified for UEFA competitions via the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League.

''The club will take the additional European place awarded to England and compete in next season's UEFA Europa League.''

England received an additional Europa League place for next season after finishing second in UEFA's national fair-play table based on results from all UEFA club and international matches played over the season.

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=1441745.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Fulham given fair play Europa berth

Fulham will play in the UEFA Europa League next season after being awarded a place today under the Premier League's Fair Play League. England received an additional Europa League place for next season after finishing second in UEFA's national fair-play table.

Chelsea finished top of the Fair Play League but had already qualified for the UEFA Champions League and Fulham were in second spot. Mark Hughes' side had just one player sent off in league matches all season - that happened in the very last game leading to suggestions that relegated Blackpool could pip them to the spot.

The Premier League said in a statement: "Fulham FC has finished the season as the highest placed club in the 2010/11 Fair Play League that has not already qualified for UEFA competitions via the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League.

"The club will take the additional European place awarded to England and compete in next season's UEFA Europa League."

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/fulham-win-fair-play-place/?

Fulham win fair play place
by DAN on MAY 26, 2011

After an agonising wait, Fulham were this afternoon confirmed as participants in next season's Europa League after winning the extra English place in the European competition.

Fulham's place as the highest non-European qualified place in the Premier League's fair play table was placed in jeopardy by Zoltan Gera's sending off in Sunday's last game of the season against Arsenal. Relegated Blackpool missed out on a place in Europe by a tantalising 0.01 points.

Fulham, who reached the final of the 2009-2010 competition, will start their campaign in the first qualifying round meaning that their season will get underway on June 30. Mark Hughes has suggested he'll be juggling his resources to ensure his first-team players aren't burnt out midway through the league season:

We've got a very early start and we will have to come back on something like June 23 for a match on June 30.

We'll have three to four weeks break maximum so it's difficult to plan for. A huge amount of thought needs to go into the guys that need the rest and making sure we have the right quality to move through the competition in the early rounds.

WhiteJC

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/05/26/fulham-midfielder-wants-europa-chance-64767-28768535/?

Fulham midfielder wants Europa chance

JONATHAN Greening has joined the chorus of pro-Europa league enthusiasts, saying the competition is ideal for a club like Fulham.

The Whites were awarded a spot in Europe next season after pipping Blackpool in the Fair Play scheme.

Some clubs have viewed the competition as a poisoned chalice in the past because of the extra demands it makes on the players. But Greening believes the Whites have proved they are made for it.

He said: "A club like ours will relish the challenge, whereas maybe teams like Tottenham and Liverpool would rather be in the Champions League.

"We know we're probably a few years off the Champions League, so we should take this chance with open arms.

"Last time, we managed to combine all four competitions really well and I think we've got the squad of players to do it. I know the manager wants to add some players as well, so why not. We've done it once, why can't we do it again?

"I don't think coming back early will be a problem and I'm sure the lads would rather be playing against some of the best teams in Europe than sat on a beach somewhere. I know I would."

Greening added: "I was involved in most of the games two years ago and have great memories – especially the Juventus game. But the whole tournament really was special.

"The display at Shakhtor Donetsk was amazing and being involved in the final itself, apart from losing, was a great experience."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13492544.stm?

Fulham gain Europa League spot through Fair Play league

Zoltan Gera was sent off on the final day of the season for Fulham

Fulham will play in the Europa League next season after earning a spot through the Fair Play League.

England had received an extra Europa League place by finishing second in Uefa's fair play table for 2010/11.

Chelsea topped the Premier League Fair Play table but having already qualified for the Champions League, Fulham in second were given the Europa spot.

Blackpool had hoped to leapfrog Fulham after Zoltan Gera was sent off for the Cottagers in their final league game.

That was the only red card that Mark Hughes' team received all season.

Teams were awarded fair play points for each Premier League match they played during the season. These were assessed by match delegates and took into account a range of factors such as positive play, the number of red and yellow cards received, respect towards opponents and behaviour of club officials.