watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Take me home… Messages of support for Vegalta Sendai fans

Started by DLTOOFIF, May 27, 2011, 02:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DLTOOFIF

This is something of a joint GMB/TOOFIF initiative!

The club anthem of the Japanese football team at the epicentre of the tsunami is, like FFC, "Country Road". A tenuous link perhaps, but a recent report in the Financial Times (FT) makes heart rendering reading. It refers to a sweep of empty seats at home games which belonged to fans who perished in the disaster last March.

The FT reports: "There are a number of conspicuously empty seats in the reserved section of the football club's Yurtec stadium. Previously occupied by season ticket holders, the seats are unused since many fans lost their lives in the earthquake and tsunami in the north-east of Japan on March 11. Everybody associated with the club, which plays in Japan's top division, has a connection with someone lost in the tragedy."

The report also highlights that the club's supporters sing John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads" – incredibly tunefully, almost choir-like – when the players take to the pitch.

Given the extreme circumstances, we think it would a great idea if Fulham fans were to send expressions of solidarity and support to fans of Vegalta Senda FC – who play in the top division of J-League in Japan. We even have a Japanese guy all ready to translate your messages.

Please post your messages here – or send an email to [email protected]

The FT report can be read in full at: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1192a516-7fd5-11e0-b018-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1NXbnRDmE

Ta.

LBNo11

...great idea David, hopefully FoF members will respond and reply to this post. Do they have a message board - maybe we could send direct messages also..?
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

DLTOOFIF

We have an email address. But the messages will need translating into Japanese which is why we're planning to gang them up.

finnster01

Maybe a lot of Fulham fans doesn't want to give their email away?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LBNo11

Quote from: finnster01 on May 27, 2011, 03:16:05 PM
Maybe a lot of Fulham fans doesn't want to give their email away?

...Finn, I think you are missing the point, David is suggesting that as well as contacting him direct - we can leave leave our messages of support to the stricken club and it's fans on this thread. I hope many do and prove what wonderful fans we have...

finnster01

LBNo11

The Doctor

Would some kind soul with a FT subsciption be able to post the article for the benefit of those of us without?

finnster01

Quote from: The Doctor on May 27, 2011, 07:29:19 PM
Would some kind soul with a FT subsciption be able to post the article for the benefit of those of us without?

Footballers lift morale in quake-hit city

By Lindsay Whipp in Sendai
Published: May 16 2011 17:40 | Last updated: May 16 2011 17:40
For Kazue Kobayashi, a long-time fan of Vegalta Sendai, there are a number of conspicuously empty seats in the reserved section of the football club's Yurtec stadium.

Previously occupied by season ticket holders, the seats are unused since many fans lost their lives in the earthquake and tsunami in the north-east of Japan on March 11. Everybody associated with the club, which plays in Japan's top division, has a connection with someone lost in the tragedy.

EDITOR'S CHOICE

"You can't tell in the unreserved seating but in the reserved seating there are certain empty spaces," says Ms Kobayashi after Saturday's game against Jubilo Iwata. "This [disaster] is uniting everyone's mood."

After six games this season, five since the disaster, the recently promoted Sendai remain unbeaten and lie third in the J-League. Some are putting that unexpected success down to the added motivation provided by knowing that so many people who have lost so much are looking to the club to help lift morale.

The intensity of the Sendai fans was not lost on opposing supporters during Saturday's 3-3 draw. "Sendai fans have always been loud, but there's definitely a force there now," says Sayuri Shibata, a Jubilo Iwata fan.

The supporters are co-ordinated by two highly energetic young men who stand for the entire match with their backs to the pitch brandishing megaphones through which they start songs and chants.

Among the favourites are "We are Sendai, la la la la la," to Irene Cara's "What a Feeling", or John Denver's "Take Me Home, Country Roads", which they hum incredibly tunefully, almost choir-like, when the players take to the pitch.

Sendai is the capital of Miyagi prefecture, one of the areas worst affected by the disaster. The latest figures from the National Police Agency of Japan show that across Miyagi, just over 9,000 people were killed, 3,411 injured and 5,526 are missing.

"Everyone has come together, they're such an encouraging group of people," says midfielder Shingo Tomita after the match.

It has been a difficult time for the players. Some felt that rather than playing football they should instead be volunteering to help the recovery efforts on the coast, says Yoshiyuki Monma, a spokesman for the club. And in the immediate aftermath of the quake the team spent time in nearby coastal towns clearing debris and playing football with children living in evacuation centres.

"I'm extremely keen to use sport as a way to help the region recover," says Matoko Kakuda, the midfielder who scored Sendai's third goal on Saturday. "I only moved to Sendai this year [from Kyoto]. Then the disaster happened but I have no bad feelings about being here. It's the opposite, I'm really glad I came."

Most of Sendai city centre remains intact and was not affected by the tsunami, but damage to the Yurtec stadium means the team had to travel south to Chiba and Saitama prefectures for training. But supporters, many of whom are from outlying areas of the city much worse hit, by the disaster, say the team's decision to keep playing has contributed to getting a sense of normality back to the area.

"I cried when the stadium reopened and we came to the first match after the disaster," says Hiromi Yamanaka. "I don't even care whether we win or lose really, I just want to be able to come here and support."

Players, fans and tsunami victims are supporting each other in some way through football. The smiles on the "delighted faces" of the children in evacuation centres lifted the spirits of the players, says Vegalta's Mr Monma.

Another fan, Takashi Mitsuhashi – the drummer for the supporters – also has his back to the pitch during the game, bar the occasional over-shoulder glance. He says: "There are so many fans who can't come to see the matches any more, so if what we do here in the stadium can send even just a little bit of positivity to those people, then that's good. There are people here who've lost someone and gathering here together generates a sense of happiness. I can watch the recorded game at home."

The Doctor

Thanks for that Finnster

It's amazing how quickly these stories slip out of the mass media over here - as if the incident has passed and life is carrying on as normal.  Of course, life won't be normal in places like Sendai for many years to come and it's doubtful it'll ever be quite the same even when "normality" is restored.  I can't imagine the pain the folks in Sendai are going through, and to be reminded of it every time you go to a football match - something you're supposed to be doing for fun - is especially poignant.

And yet, people are still going.  And they sound like they're helping each other through one of the most horrific situations anyone could find themselves in.  Ultimately, that's what a football club - or any sports club, for that matter - should be about.  They're an inspiring example and I wish the club, the fans and everyone in Sendai all the best

finnster01

I think we may have a sister team in Japan now.

I can not imagine what that region has gone through, but if you don't get emotional reading that story and imagine if you are a season ticket holder and the seats around you are empty and you know why, you can not possibly have a heart.

Come On You Sendai's!!  :Sparkyticus:

The Bronsons

I know people in that area of Japan through my work. Truly dreadful loss of life, and the stoicism and courage of the people in getting on with their lives is awe-inspiring.

DLTOOFIF, please pass on all good luck to the players and fans of Vegalta Senda FC, and especially this guy:

QuoteAnother fan, Takashi Mitsuhashi – the drummer for the supporters – also has his back to the pitch during the game, bar the occasional over-shoulder glance. He says: "There are so many fans who can't come to see the matches any more, so if what we do here in the stadium can send even just a little bit of positivity to those people, then that's good. There are people here who've lost someone and gathering here together generates a sense of happiness. I can watch the recorded game at home."