watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Scholes retires

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, May 31, 2011, 09:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brede Butter Pudding

Love him or hate him, what a genius that man is with a ball at his feet.

Brede Butter Pudding

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13600395.stm

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has announced his retirement at the age of 36, with immediate effect.

Scholes made his United debut in 1994 and played for them 676 times, and will now join the club's coaching staff.

"This was not a decision I've taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing," he said.

"Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role," said manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

The famously-low key Scholes said "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do and to have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour.

"To have been part of the team that helped the club reach that 19th title is a great privilege."

Scholes was part of United's Class of 92 which also produced David Beckham, Nicky Butt and Gary Neville, who also ended his United career this season.

Club chief executive David Gill said Scholes had "established himself as one of the greatest players to ever wear the United shirt".

During his career, Scholes won 10 Premier League titles and was a member of the team that won the 2008 Champions League final against Chelsea.

He was suspended for the 1999 final win over Bayern Munich, and Saturday's defeat against Barcelona at Wembley was the last game of his career.

He also won 66 England caps before retiring from international football following the Euro 2004 tournament, aged just 29, but coach Fabio Capello tried to tempt him to change his mind for last summer's World Cup.

Scholes said he would have considered a u-turn, but was not given enough time to make up his mind.

elgreenio

model professional, just gets on with it. Just a shame we insisted on sticking him left wing most of the time for England, would have been useful to have around the international scene for a few more years
touch my camera through the fence

filbertfish

He's overrated and has the tackling ability of a bull elephant. Danny is at least as good as him.

finnster01

Was the worst tackler in football
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: filbertfish on May 31, 2011, 09:40:06 AM
He's overrated and has the tackling ability of a bull elephant. Danny is at least as good as him.

Seriously? His tackling was terrible, but he was never really a defensive midfielder.

I'd love not to believe this but Murphy is not as good as Paul Scholes.

The Equalizer

A sad day for English football. One of the true professionals of the game both on and off the pitch. One of the few players (and I thought Giggs would be one of the others until recently) who never had their faces splayed all over the tabloids after some mishap.

He will be sorely missed, but I will take that 'save' from Zamora's header with me to the grave!  :011:  096.gig
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ImperialWhite

According to Xavi, the best player in England.

AlFayedsChequebook

Paul Scholes is the player that all youth academy's should tell their midfielders to be like.

A true legend:

Paul Scholes: Control, Touches, Passing #2

clint23

AlFayedsChequebook

His tackling was never good, but sometimes that was a good thing!

UCL Final 09 Barcelona - Manchester Scholes brutal tackle

aFFCn_Fan

I liked the fact that he didn't have an agent. He did the deals himself. What a breath of fresh air in the current climate
@hincharoo

MrWhite

Andy_M

I think most people can appreciate just what an awesome player this guy was. Having grown up watching his United team winning everything and him being a key player and goalscorer in that team it was sad to see the way he has played this season, so the timing is totally right for him to retire.

Ignore the fact he can't tackle for toffee, he was a great player.

Although it will be a shame to not see him give us the advantage of playing against a 10-man United next season!
@got_maile

HatterDon

Who is going to be United's adjunct goalkeeper? He was great at clawing out goal bound shots at the Cottage.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel