News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mark Hughes doesn't strike me as a one year wonder..

Started by Admin, June 01, 2011, 07:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I still could be proved wrong but if you look at his career (both playing and management) he does seem to be the type of guy to stick around and give things a fair crack of the whip so I'm hoping that he'll be the same with Fulham, for at least another 2-3 years.

He has come out and said some positive things about Fulham in regards to the set-up, board of directors, chairman etc which if I'm honest, sounded more convincing than what old Woy tried blagging us with before he fooked off.

O.K, we could argue that Villa are a bigger club than Fulham - yes, in club size they are but not in regards to success over the last few seasons nor do I see them having a better squad than us unless he goes there and spends a few million quid. Before he starts, he has to convince both Downing and Young to stay which on paper, they are 100% off.

I think most of this Hughes stuff is 'press related' and the guy is off on holiday some where with the wife and familly sunning it up so there prob hasn't been any aproach from Villa as yet. If anything, it's paper talk about who Villa want, not who's going there.

If Fulham were clever, a new contract would have been discussed with Hughes by now knowing damn well that Gerard Houllier was 'never' going to return. If not, then they are stupid but as to why it's not been signed yet is prob down to Europe and both club and manager getting the deal they want.

Could Hughes leave for Villa on a bumper package? - yes he could, any manager could but my head tells me he's learn't his lesson with Citeh and still has a lot to achieve/prove at Fulham before jumping ship once again. As much as people didn't like the appointment of Hughes I still think that he's a shrewed manager and a man of his word unlike Woy.

Don't get me wrong, the guy could turn out to be a another money grabber and someone using Fulham as a stepping stone once again but I trust Fulham to have got this right this time around... I hope  :dft001:       

MJG

Sorry just one point about this, but Villa have finishd 6th three times in the last four years and also reached a final, so over the last few years, postion wise and domestic final wise they have been more successful

RidgeRider

Quote from: MJG on June 01, 2011, 07:25:31 PM
Sorry just one point about this, but Villa have finishd 6th three times in the last four years and also reached a final, so over the last few years, postion wise and domestic final wise they have been more successful

that's just a technicality.... :dft012:

AlFayedsChequebook

If he gets offered the job, I think he will go.

But since Villa hired Houllier, I am hoping they go for a more 'off the wall' managerial signing.

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

HatterDon

Man, this is like the 4th time that I've agreed with Admin. I would agree with him more, but he so seldom makes such good sense.  093.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

richie17

Quote from: Admin on June 01, 2011, 07:18:06 PM
I still could be proved wrong but if you look at his career (both playing and management) he does seem to be the type of guy to stick around and give things a fair crack of the whip so I'm hoping that he'll be the same with Fulham, for at least another 2-3 years.

He has come out and said some positive things about Fulham in regards to the set-up, board of directors, chairman etc which if I'm honest, sounded more convincing than what old Woy tried blagging us with before he fooked off.

O.K, we could argue that Villa are a bigger club than Fulham - yes, in club size they are but not in regards to success over the last few seasons nor do I see them having a better squad than us unless he goes there and spends a few million quid. Before he starts, he has to convince both Downing and Young to stay which on paper, they are 100% off.

I think most of this Hughes stuff is 'press related' and the guy is off on holiday some where with the wife and familly sunning it up so there prob hasn't been any aproach from Villa as yet. If anything, it's paper talk about who Villa want, not who's going there.

If Fulham were clever, a new contract would have been discussed with Hughes by now knowing damn well that Gerard Houllier was 'never' going to return. If not, then they are stupid but as to why it's not been signed yet is prob down to Europe and both club and manager getting the deal they want.

Could Hughes leave for Villa on a bumper package? - yes he could, any manager could but my head tells me he's learn't his lesson with Citeh and still has a lot to achieve/prove at Fulham before jumping ship once again. As much as people didn't like the appointment of Hughes I still think that he's a shrewed manager and a man of his word unlike Woy.

Don't get me wrong, the guy could turn out to be a another money grabber and someone using Fulham as a stepping stone once again but I trust Fulham to have got this right this time around... I hope  :dft001:       

And if Liverpool were to come in for Hughes in August he'd go too. 

Like everyone in football, he has his price and will leave us if something better comes along.

os5889

Agreed and hoping you are right Scott! Come on the Fulham! Fight off the Bruminghaminians

b+w geezer

Quote from: richie17 on June 01, 2011, 10:18:13 PM

And if Liverpool were to come in for Hughes in August he'd go too. 

Like everyone in football, he has his price and will leave us if something better comes along.
Not to be doubted. The only question for me concerns his degree of (im)patience. One can only guessitimate but mine is that his ultimate ambition/fantasy would be to manage the club he mainly played for. But even if he left right now and excelled at Villa (who aren't in Europe), he's not going to have done enough in time to be Fergie's successor. It's a longer game and he's young enough to play it.

Only a very small number of English clubs constitute a plausible stepping stone between here and aspiring to the reigns at Old Trafford in 6-10 years from now. Villa just scrapes onto that list, below Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool (where his playing history all but rules him out) and Man City where he's unlikely to return. In short his three best bets are all in the city he's working in right now, and vacancies are all but bound to appear within the next one-to-three years -- I include Ancelloti's successor's successor in that!

Even if he is thinking along those lines, there may still of course be problems which cause him to up sticks this summer. They are unlikely to concern personal salary, but of course budgets might be a terminal problem for all I know. Otherwise, best for him -- not just best for us -- to win Fulham a cup and then move on and up.

VicHalomsLovechild

I'm hoping the idea of starting from scratch again after only a year, uprooting his family and the prospect of better jobs coming up in the near future will keep him here for another season.

flirpit

I really hope he stays, some of the football we played towards the end of last season was fantastic stuff and i'm really looking forward to next season. With a full transfer window for MH with backing from MAF and EUROPE (again) next season could be fantastic!
@garthurabbott

LBNo11

...I am still not convinced with Mr Hughes I have to be honest, we are as ever a stepping stone for those ambitious to realise their ultimate dream job, and he will not consider us any different.

That aside I make Admin's and b+w geezers reasoning to be logical and correct, for the short term Fulham are a convenient platform with which to learn further and prove his credentials and enhance his CV for the position he wants, be it at the dark side of SW London or NW Lancashire.

But you never know...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Jack Fulham

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 01, 2011, 11:54:18 PM
...I am still not convinced with Mr Hughes I have to be honest, we are as ever a stepping stone for those ambitious to realise their ultimate dream job, and he will not consider us any different.

Were always going to be a stepping stone for managers and players alike. Hopefully MAF can over him something decent here to stay.

Oakeshott

If he stays he stays and if he goes he goes, and I am not all that fussed. Yes, we played some good football after the Boxing Day match, and yes I think we will do well if Hughes stays. But frankly I haven't warmed to him yet and if he goes now he will reinforce my sense of a guy simply using us.

If he goes, I hope we go for someone likely to stay around and identify with the club. Maybe Jones, or Hughton, though personally I'd be happy to give "Mr Fulham", Ray Lewington a proper chance.

Lighthouse

If Hughes goes there really will be no point in hoping for any better. We will forever be battling to stay in the Prem with maybe the odd good year. We will forever remain a stepping stone for players and managers. Having the team try and play with another style will take time.

I understand that many fans never 'warmed' to him and many want an honour above Prem success or even safety. Well sadly that will soon come to pass. What will be the point in expecting any manager to come in and build anything. He will soon be off like Hodgson or Hughes.

If we really have reached the best we can ever achieve as some believe. Then best to go out at the top.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BestOfBrede

The biggest fear, for me, whenever losing a Manager is which players we then lose.
Hughes has already said a few times that we would have finished higher if Bobby had been fit and therefore must rate him highly. There are others (e.g Demebele, Brede, Demps) that he probably would consider and then there is the factor that some players will probably, and rightly (IMO), fell that Fulham has no ambition and therefore look to leave.

Of course, on the other hand: FX Pro dumped Villa for the Supe Whites - that should tell Hughes something!!