Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (05/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 05, 2011, 08:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13660879.stm

Bobby Zamora wants new Fulham manager appointed quickly

Zamora scored seven goals in only 16 Fulham appearances last season

Bobby Zamora is keen Fulham appoint a new manager quickly following the resignation of Mark Hughes on Thursday.

Fulham's players are due to report back to Craven Cottage for pre-season training in 18 days because of their Europa League commitments.

Zamora, 30, said: "We are back in training on 23 June and we've got a game on the 30th in the Europa League.

"We want the right person for the club. It would be nice if the managerial thing is sorted before we come back."

Fulham, who finished eighth in the Premier League, outside of the automatic qualification places for Europe, were awarded a Europa League spot through the fair-play system.

Zamora, who made only 16 appearances for Fulham last season because of injury, admitted that Hughes departure had been a "total shock" but wished the manager well.

"Mark has got his his reasons," said the England striker. "I don't blame him at all. It's one of those things. Managers and players come and go."

os5889

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/05/fulham-bobby-zamora-mark-hughes

Fulham's Bobby Zamora left stunned by resignation of Mark Hughes
• England man surprised by manager's sudden exit
• 'We were just starting to play the way he wanted us to'

Bobby Zamora will return to training with Fulham on 23 June ahead of their Europa League game on 30 June.

Photograph: Clive Rose/Getty Images

Bobby Zamora has admitted his "shock" at Mark Hughes's resignation as Fulham's manager, with the England striker hopeful a replacement can be appointed quickly with the players due to return for pre-season in a little over two weeks' time, in readiness for their Europa League campaign.

Hughes surprised and disappointed the London club's hierarchy by tendering his resignation last week with his agent, Kia Joorabchian, subsequently claiming the Welshman had cited "ambitions to really compete at the top level" in his decision. His one year in charge at Craven Cottage had seen Fulham finish an impressive eighth in the Premier League and gain entry to European competition via the Fair Play league, though Hughes had declined the chance to sign a new two-year deal.

"It was a shock, him resigning," said Zamora. "I've been in the England camp all week and didn't know too much about what was going on, but it was a surprise. There was no hint of it coming at all.

"Where does it leave us? It leaves us without a manager. It was going so well. Everyone had bought into his ideas and we were just starting to play the way I think he wanted us to, but he's decided not to [stay] and we go on and try to find another manager and, hopefully, do well.

"Obviously Mark's got his reasons. I don't blame him at all. It's one of the those things. Managers and players come and go. We just want the right person for the job, though I've no idea who that is.

"But we're supposed to be back on the 23rd [of June] for the Europa League game on the 30th. We'll get two weeks off, and you can't do much in two weeks. I'll just try and rest as much as I can. Ideally I'd like the new manager to be there when we come back but if it takes time to find the right person, then fair enough.

"That was the situation last season when we came back for pre-season and it was Ray Lewington in charge, before Mark came in and put his ideas across."