watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (05/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 05, 2011, 08:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/06/blogs/how-do-fulham-and-aston-villa-solve-their-managerial-dilemmas?

HOW DO FULHAM AND ASTON VILLA SOLVE THEIR MANAGERIAL DILEMMAS?

In modern day football, something which is becoming almost as unpredictable as the transfer window, is the hiring and firing of managers. As of the time I write this blog there are three Premiership clubs looking for a new gaffer for the 2011-2012 season. Chelsea , of course, under the guidance of Roman Abramovich  got rid of Carlo Ancelotti for having the audacity to finish second in (arguably) the toughest football league in the world. However, it is the managerial rollercoaster tale of Fulham  and Aston Villa  which is currently the most fascinating.

With Gerard Houllier  having to step down from the Villa helm due to his poor health and the announcement on June 2nd that Mark Hughes  was stepping away from his post at Fulham, both clubs find themselves in a rather familiar position. Indeed, this will now be the second summer in a row that Villa and Fulham have had to hunt for new managers following the departures of Martin O'Neill and Roy Hodgson  last year. But who are the prime candidates to get the newly vacant positions and why?

Mark Hughes
Despite his claims that his decision to leave Fulham "has not been influenced by any outside party", it seems fairly likely that "Sparkie" will soon be on his way to manage another team soon (or at least after June 30th once his notice expires). After all, he seemed content in the job with The Cottagers so why would he leave unless he felt a better offer was coming his way? On leaving Fulham, Hughes said "I hope the supporters and all those connected with the club will understand I wish to move on to further my experiences." This statement seems to confirm that Hughes is on his way to another club, and since he was being closely linked with the Aston Villa position already, the timing all looks rather convenient.

Unless there is another club abroad who is interested in Hughes (there is the Chelsea position in England  too, of course, but Guus Hiddink  looks to have that one nailed) then expect to see him confirmed as the new Villa manager within the next few weeks.
EDIT: However, there is word coming out of the Aston Villa camp that Hughes will not be getting the vacant manager's job, which adds yet another interesting layer to this story. Whether that is a smokescreen by Randy Lerner  and co remains to be seen at press time.

Steve McClaren
However, there are other candidates available for the Villa job, with several of these former Premiership managers having been linked with the Fulham position too. One of these men is former England boss, Steve McClaren. After that disastrous spell in charge of the England international team, McClaren has been trying to rebuild his managerial reputation overseas. Unfortunately, despite having success at FC Twente in 2010 (guiding them to their first ever league title), he was sacked from his post at Wolfsburg in February this year. McClaren is keen on a return to Premiership football and is currently one of the favourites to take on the gaffer's role at either club.

Martin Jol
Another former Premiership manager in the running for both the Villa and Fulham jobs, is former Spurs boss Martin Jol. The Dutchman received plaudits for some of the attractive football his Tottenham side played during his time there and, in fact, he was approached by Fulham last summer until Ajax blocked their approaches. Jol was linked with a return to the Premiership when he quit Ajax in December, with many expecting him to take the reigns at Newcastle United. That never came to pass but a return to England, most likely at Fulham, looks increasingly likely now.

Rafa Benitez
The former Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez also fancies a return to the top flight of English football after losing his job with Inter Milan in December. He still lives on Merseyside after all and would no doubt relish the chance to take over from Gerard Houllier at Villa, just as he did in 2004 at Liverpool. Despite the occasional dodgy decision at Anfield (selling Xabi Alonso, for example), he guided them to two Champions League finals against AC Milan, winning one in 2005, and secured a second place Premiership finish for the Reds in 2009. He is an outside chance in the bookies' eyes of securing a position at Villa or Fulham, but he is one of the less likely options.

Carlo Ancelotti
Fresh from his extremely harsh firing from Chelsea, Ancelotti and his famous eyebrow spoke of wanting to stay in the Premier League. Ancelotti has an impressive managerial resume in his back pocket and would be a fantastic option to take over at either Villa or Fulham. Ancelotti would prefer to stay in London but I doubt he would see the Fulham job as an attractive prospect (although they do have that Europa League spot which may persuade him). He could be tempted by the Villa job, however.

Martin O'Neill
And finally we come to the man who left the Aston Villa  job only 10 months ago. O'Neill recently made it known that he is ready to make a comeback to management following that sudden departure from Villa. Obviously, I'm not going to suggest that he will be returning to his former post at Villa Park  (although stranger things have happened in football) but he looks to be the current favourite for the Fulham post. O'Neill is generally seen as one of the best managers around and it would be fantastic for Fulham if they could secure his services.

So with all that considered, who is going where? Well, as I stated at the top of the article, the summer period is becoming just as unpredictable in terms of where managers are going as much as for where players are going, so it is difficult to say with any degree of certainty. Nevertheless, in my uneducated opinion (as I've now been faithfully informed I must refer to it as) Mark Hughes is almost certain to get the Aston Villa job. Why else would he have left Fulham so suddenly?

EDIT: With the report that Villa now do not want Mark Hughes as manager (whether this turns out to be true or not is uncertain for the moment), "Sparkie" could live to regret his decision to abruptly leave The Cottagers. If Villa do decide to go another way, I have a feeling that Carlo Ancelotti may well get the nod. Interesting developments indeed...

As for the Fulham job which Hughes vacated, I would say it's a toss up between Martin O'Neill and Martin Jol as to who gets it. Either would be very welcome at Craven Cottage . However, who would bet against one of the positions going to a manager whom nobody would have imagined? Not me, that's for sure.

WhiteJC

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=goal-reportfulhamtomoveformartin

Report: Fulham to move for Martin Jol once again

Fulham owner Mohammed Al-Fayed is set to move for Martin Jol once again, having previously tried to hire him when he was in charge of Dutch giants Ajax.

According to The Mirror's sources, Jol is keen to become the manager at Craven Cottage and return to the Premier League where he previously managed Tottenham.

Jol is highly regarded in England from his time with Spurs, and has often spoken of his desire to return to the Premier League. He is thought unlikely to reject the overtures of Fulham, who finished in eighth place last season.

He nearly became Fulham manager last summer when the Cottagers were seeking to fill the vacancy created by Roy Hodgson's move to Liverpool, but despite agreeing terms Ajax pulled the plug on the deal late on, prompting Al-Fayed to move for Mark Hughes instead.

Now Hughes has left Fulham, and one-year on Jol is without a job and is again Al-Fayed's preferred choice for the vacant managerial position.

Any deal though could possibly hinge on the owner's willingness to back his manager in the transfer market.

Hughes has cited his reasons for leaving Fulham as Al-Fayed's reluctance to spend big in the transfer market and make a serious bid for silverware.

Hughes was reportedly desperate to push Fulham on up the table though Al-Fayed was more reserved in his ambitions for the club – preferring to build slowly.

WhiteJC

MARK HUGHES NEEDS STAYING POWER TO MAKE HIS MARK ON HISTORY

MARK HUGHES was typically blunt when he explained his decision to walk out on Fulham the other day.

"As a young, ambitious manager I wish to move on to further my experiences," said the Welshman, whose hair went grey a long time ago and who has been speaking with the authority of someone in charge of football teams for 12 years now.

I will never forget his first match as a manager. It was chaos – barnstorming, unforgettable, crackerjack chaos.

Hughes had been drafted in as temporary boss of the Wales national team in September 1999 for an away game in Belarus.

The flight to Minsk was delayed because the chartered aeroplane was over its weight limit and the Welsh FA had a choice between kicking off supporters who had paid for tickets, or jettisoning the food and water being taken for the players so they would not have to consume the local produce.

They booted off the fans.

Needless to say, tempers flared. These most loyal of loyal supporters turned rebellious and angry. They tried to stop players getting on the aircraft. Police were called.

Through all the mayhem, Hughes remained calm and unflappable, saying all the right things. His team won the match as well, 2-1, thanks to a late goal from Ryan Giggs.

It was obvious from that long forgotten first adventure that Mark Hughes was grade one management material. He has rarely disappointed in more than a decade since. He is very good at the job, he has a superb backroom team in men like Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwicki, and nobody can deny that he is ambitious.

But young?
Come off it, Sparky.

When you're 12 years into football management, you're not a greenhorn trying to make his way. No, you are on the brink of the choice, and the job, that will define your career.

Cynics will say that Hughes' voluntary exit at Fulham is only because he knows another job, perhaps at Aston Villa, has already been lined up, even if he cannot say so publically.

Maybe that's right. More likely, in my view, is that it reveals how wounded Hughes was by his brutal sacking at Manchester City 18 months ago, and why he treats accusations of disloyalty with some disdain.

He should not be blamed for looking after No.1. Everybody else does that in modern football – players, chairmen and administrators. Should we expect managers to be any different if there is the potential to join a mightier club?
The trouble for Hughes is that's exactly what we expect.

And, for a football manager, the old-fashioned concept of loyalty is not just an irrelevant badge of honour; it is a real strength in the job.

When Sir Alex Ferguson eventually retires at Manchester United, which British manager will be best placed, and best thought of, to be his possible successor?

Will it be a man like David Moyes, who has been steadfast at Everton, who has proved he can take care of the fortunes of a great club and command it with intelligence and dignity?

Or will it be someone like Hughes, who has been a nomadic boss, proving his worth in different places, but also leaving clubs and their supporters feeling a strong sense of dissatisfaction?

There is no right or wrong answer here.

But my guess is that the career path of Moyes will be more seductive.

People in football like to see evidence of commitment from the manager. He is always the most important man at any club, and a reputation for walking away too often and too quickly encourages doubt.

There is great danger as well as glorious opportunity for Hughes right now. What he does next is crucial. Whether his new club (and there will be one) is Aston Villa, or Chelsea, or a major foreign side, he needs to show that he can stick around for a while.

He needs to show he can create something of depth rather than merely travel the stadiums of the world as a temporary guide.

Read more: http://www.express.co.uk/ourcomments/view/250807/Jim-HoldenMark-Hughes-needs-staying-power-to-make-his-mark-on-history#ixzz1ONvmPed1

WhiteJC

Former Villa boss O'Neill eyes management return after holding talks with Fulham

Martin O'Neill is ready to end his 10-month exile from the Premier League by taking over at Fulham.

O'Neill, who left Aston Villa last August, is interested in taking over the vacant manager's post at Craven Cottage and is a serious rival to the other bookmakers' favourite, Martin Jol.

The former Celtic manager has already held preliminary talks with Fulham and told friends he is itching to get back into the game after reaching a financial agreement with Villa over his acrimonious departure.

And he wants a club in the south so he can continue to live at his home in High Wycombe with wife Geraldine, whom he helped beat cancer in 2005.

O'Neill has been a regular visitor to Craven Cottage over the years when he has not been working and the thin management structure at the club — owned by Mohamed Fayed and run by chief executive Alistair Mackintosh — appeals.

Other candidates to succeed Mark Hughes, who walked out at the end of his 12-month contract last week, include Steve McClaren and Alan Curbishley.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1394325/Martin-ONeill-linked-Fulham.html#ixzz1ONwUA77Q

WhiteJC

Zamora has his say on Mark Hughes exit

BOBBY ZAMORA has refused to condemn Mark Hughes for jumping ship at Fulham.

The talismanic Whites striker has been on England duty this week and totally out of the loop about goings on at Craven Cottage and admitted to surprise when he heard Hughes had quit.

"Mark resigning was a total shock," he said. "I've been in with the England camp and don't really know too much. There was no hint of it.

"It was going well. He had his ideas and I think we were just starting to play the way he wanted. But he's decided not to carry on and we go on and look for another manager.

"Obviously Mark's got his reasons for going and I don't blame him at all. It's one of those things. Managers and players both come and go."

Zamora says he hopes a new boss is in place by the time he returns to training on June 23, but is also anxious the club does not rush an appointment.

"Hopefully we will have someone in place by then, but if it takes time to find the right person then fair enough. That was the situation last year. Pre-season we went into it with Ray Lewington and he did a good job before Mark came in. We need to take our time to find the right person."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/04/zamora-has-his-say-on-mark-hughes-exit-64767-28822133/?#ixzz1ONwnt3ns

WhiteJC

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/6/4/2206874/hughes-is-gone-so-whos-next?

Hughes is gone so who's next?

Even with the expected turbulence that football has always coincided with, I don't think many could have seen the events of Thursday evening as forthcoming. Mark Hughes, despite a more-than-respectable season that propelled Fulham into Europe, walked out on the club amidst rumours of an offer from Aston Villa. Hughes has pushed hard to add doubt into those very rumours, but most have to believe that, even if it isn't an offer from Villa Park, something has been lined up for the Welshman.

It's not just Fulham fans that have taken the news badly and rest assured, with his latest comments on the resignation, if he enters a new job in the near future, he'll face an onslaught of curses and middle fingers; and not just from the fans of his now ex club.

He's handled the situation with a lack of dignity, respect and class, but we can't deny the very good job he has done for us in his short but sweet stint.

Still though: we must move on and all that. So who's on the way in and are they any good?

Martin Jol: The favourite for the role, just as he was last year. The Ducthamn has been out of work since resigning last December and it's now common fact that he was the preferred choice of Mohammed Al Fayed when Hodgson left the Cottage to join Liverpool. In that respect, it would technically be a step up, but concerns would linger over his long term commitment to the club. He's an astute manager who deploys a system that flows with creativity and attacking potential, but he also possesses an enviable defensive record with his sides. With Hughes' reign providing similar fortunes, it could be favourable given that continuity breeds success. With regards to commitment, there are few jobs around that Jol could be considered for so he may be in it for the long haul, contrary to what most believe.

Martin O'Neill: Has been out of work for a year now and, despite a fantastic record, brings certain flaws. His style of play, whilst fluctuating, could be considered negative, but it'd be wholly unfair to tarnish him with such a huge brush and, at the end of the day, results are results. However, his lack of fondness for all European competition definitely negates the want of the fans who so loved our exploits in 2010. If he came in I'd expect a simple stance of 'Premier League comes first' and we'd be out in the early stages. He, of course, has his plus points such as indisputable experience. Would be a sound appointment, but not my first choice.

Carlo Ancelotti: An outsider by all accounts but plausible nonetheless. Fulham, being in very close geographical proximity to Stamford Bridge, would pose no problems for Ancelotti with regards to personal welfare, but he would of course consider it a huge step down. It's been widely accepted that the Italian would like to stay in the Premier League and his management style would suit our humble club. Whether he'd come though? Different story.

Lee Clark: A fans' favourite, but much like last season, probably not ready yet. We took a punt, many years ago now, on Chris Coleman and it worked to an extent. However, appointing an inexperienced manager after years of progressive work could be a catalyst for decline. Saying that, his brilliant work at Huddersfield, even when resulting in Play Off Final heartbreak, has been sensational. He understands football, but whether he understands Premier League football is the question Mohammed Al Fayed must answer. I'd take him, but I'd be a tad sceptical.

Chris Hughton: Definitely has proven his worth in the Premier League, but with his Newcastle dismissal, it would almost be like accepting the rags of a lesser team. It's not the case though and there could definitely be potential for improvement under Hughton's guidance. He's young, and alongside the intelligence of Ray Lewington, relegation wouldn't be a concern. Also, he's unlikely to consider us a stepping stone in the same way Hughes and Hodgson have. However, having a surname beginning with 'H' may mean he would like to depart bitterly some day.

Roberto Martinez: A long shot but he's been incredibly popular with the supporters, understandably. He possesses a likeable character which would be in-keeping with a humble Craven Cottage nature. He also provides fluent attacking play, but, unfortunately, forgets defensive duties in the process. We have too good a team to be worried about relegation under his management, but we have already attained such stability that it would be silly to undo that. To employ a manager who escaped relegation on the last day would be a bad choice in my eyes.

Steve McLaren: The last manager who has been heavily linked, and you'd probably be shocked to hear that I'd fully defend the move. The former England boss has great pedigree with a club our size and he took Middlesbrough to the final of the UEFA Cup a few years ago. Since he left, the club has suffered a great demise and it's no coincidence. Having spent time abroad since his England departure, he knows the game incredibly well and his European knowledge would come in very handy. Yet, he does come with his negative points, such as recent failures in Germany.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/194488/Mohamed-Al-Fayed-fuming-at-Mark-Hughes-s-Fulham-departure/?

MOHAMED AL FAYED FUMING AT MARK HUGHES'S FULHAM DEPARTURE

FULHAM owner Mohamed Al Fayed is still 'livid' over the shock walk-out of his manager Mark Hughes and warned: "He could live to regret it like Roy Hodgson."

Mark Hughes quit Fulham on Thursday, with many believing his next stop is either Aston Villa or Chelsea.

But Hughes' agent Kia Joorabchian claims it was because Fulham are not ready to match his personal ambitions.

"He wants to go to a club where he can fight for titles, whether that is in England, Spain, Italy or Portugal. It could take a year," said Joorabchian.

Fulham have put together a shortlist to replace Hughes that includes former Spurs manager Martin Jol, Martin O'Neill, Steve McClaren and Dave Jones, who was recently sacked by Cardiff.

Al Fayed knows he has to work fast but a spokesman for the club said: "He is livid. He can't believe what Mark Hughes did because they were in contract talks.

"He says the grass isn't always greener and he could live to regret the decision in the same way as Roy Hodgson, who also left quickly to join Liverpool. And what happened there?"

Joorabchian denied that Hughes, 47, had already been approached by another club.

He added: "Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations.

"Mark made his aspirations clear when he first signed his contract last year.

"One of the things that he looked for was to see if Fulham wanted to go to the next level.

"I stick by what we are saying – we were not talking to anybody. No other club is in consideration.

"The timing may have influenced the press and public that he's headed in a direction. That's not the case.

"Chelsea have some candidates at the moment and we'll wait and see. If they approach Mark he'll be happy to speak to them. It would be an honour for him.

"But we've not spoken to any club. Now that he has left Fulham we can explore options in the next few weeks."

Joorabchian added: "He wanted to be honest with them, rather than letting them spend in the transfer window on players he recommended and then leave.

"Mark had a discussion with the club last week but most of the talk centred around what the ambitions of the club are."

WhiteJC

Chelsea want Hiddink and Hughes: Abramovich believes dream team can deliver Champions League glory

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is putting together a managerial dream team of Guus Hiddink and Mark Hughes as the men who he believes can guide Chelsea to the Champions League glory he craves.

Abramovich wants 64-year-old Dutchman Hiddink and former Chelsea striker Hughes to combine as director of football and first-team coach and break Barcelona's European dominance.

Negotiations are well advanced and despite the fact that the two men have no previous working relationship, Chelsea's billionaire owner is confident that they will prove an instant success.

Abramovich, not content with Chelsea's position as Premier League runners-up this season, believes his squad need fresh impetus after the departure of Double-winning manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is set to take charge at Aston Villa, and sporting director Frank Arnesen.

The Russian feels the experience and contacts of Hiddink in a more hands-on role than the consulting position he has maintained at Chelsea, where he was caretaker-manager following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari in February 2009, would work well with the training ground and pitch-side skills of 47-year-old Hughes.

The Welshman, who quit his job at Fulham last week, will be available at the end of the month — or sooner if the club release him — while Hiddink is ready to move on from his position as Turkey coach and wants to lock horns with Premier League champions Manchester United.

Asked if United could be deposed by Chelsea next season, Hiddink said: 'Yes. All teams can be beaten and no way is this going to be a one-horse race. We all saw last season's top five or six shift and shuffle. Chelsea were on top in the beginning and came strong again towards the end.

'Manchester United and Arsenal were both top, Manchester City came with a strong run. United finished on top but it doesn't mean it has to be like that next season. It will be very open.'

Hiddink, who won the European Cup as PSV Eindhoven manager in 1988, feels he has one last major club position left in him.
'I'm almost 65, almost a pensioner,' he said.

He has also attracted interest from Inter Milan and was heading for Holland on Saturday after Turkey's Euro 2012 qualifying draw with Belgium in Brussels on Friday.

But he is keen to join Chelsea, has a good relationship with Abramovich and has the approval of club captain John Terry and other senior players, who are also desperate to break their duck in the Champions League.

Meanwhile, United expect to tie up the £18million signing of Ashley Young, the Aston Villa winger who scored for England at Wembley, in the next fortnight and have all but concluded a £17m deal with Atletico Madrid for goalkeeper David de Gea.

But Sir Alex Ferguson's £35m spending spree will not stop United pursuing key target Wesley Sneijder, Inter Milan's £40m-rated playmaker.

But the Holland midfielder's earnings in Italy of around £170,000-a-week after tax will be a significant hurdle.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1394369/Chelsea-want-Guus-Hiddink-Mark-Hughes-deliver-Champions-League-glory.html#ixzz1ONxww6Cb

WhiteJC

Delme Parfitt: Mark Hughes decision might prove bad choice

l MARK Hughes clearly has a plan up his sleeve after walking out on Fulham, but I feel he's playing a risky game.

After succeeding Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage less than a year ago, he steered the London club to safety and could have built on that next season.

OK, Fulham are never going to win the Champions League, but Hughes knew that when he took on the job.

I just think managers do themselves little good by jumping ship so quickly. Wherever Hughes goes, expectations are likely to be much higher.

He's insisted he has no plans to go to Aston Villa, and I hope that's correct, as there he will only find limited funds, fans who demand much more than the team are capable of achieving and a history of better managers than him – Martin O'Neill for one – who have failed to bring the success Villa crave.

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sports/sports-columnists/2011/06/05/delme-parfitt-mark-hughes-decision-might-prove-bad-choice-91466-28821966/?#ixzz1ONyY1Wag

WhiteJC

West Brom to sign Fulham duo

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson will tie up the signings of Andy Johnson – for £3million – and Zoltan Gera, on a free transfer, from his old club Fulham.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/West-Brom-transfer-news-Zoltan-Gera-and-Andy-Johnson-to-sign-from-Fulham-article744430.html#ixzz1ONz2WBSb

WhiteJC

Hughes walked out on Fulham after contract snub - Exclusive

Mark Hughes walked out on Fulham because he felt the club failed to appreciate his worth at Craven Cottage.

The former Manchester City coach activated a break-clause in his two-year contract last Thursday and faced heavy criticism in some quarters.

It had been suggested Hughes quit after lining-up another job. Ironically hours before he walked away Aston Villa, who had been heavily linked with him, approached Fulham and denied they had been in contact with their coach.

But Sunday Mirror Sport understands Hughes became increasingly frustrated after being offered a new contract with a minimal pay-rise.

Sources close to Hughes claim Fulham made what was described as a rather derisory initial offer, which was rejected, and then had the cheek to decrease the offer in another round of negotiations.

Hughes had initially come under pressure in the first half of the season when they slipped to second bottom of the Premier League following a 3-1 home defeat by West Ham.

Hughes denied he ever feared for his job and retained the support of the board.

And in the second half of the season that faith proved to be well placed as he eventually steered the club to 8th place in the Premier League.

Yet his good work certainly wasn't reflected in negotiations over a new deal that left him questioning whether the club valued him at all and ultimately led to his untimely departure.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Mark-Hughes-walked-out-on-Fulham-after-contract-snub-Exclusive-article744410.html#ixzz1ONzd7goO

WhiteJC

Poyet shock name on Fulham's shortlist

Gus Poyet has emerged as a shock contender for the Fulham managerial vacancy.

After leading Brighton to the League One title the former Chelsea star's managerial talents have been widely admired. He is the shock contender on the Craven Cottage shortlist to succeed Mark Hughes, who quit last week.

Senior Fulham officials have been reviewing their options since Hughes' shock exit. Among the obvious candidates are the out of work quartet of Martin Jol, Steve McClaren, Alan Curbishley and Martin O'Neill.

Poyet is under contract with the Seagulls and has a £1.2million get-out compensation clause in his contract.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Brighton-boss-Gus-Poyet-shock-name-on-Fulham-s-shortlist-article744414.html#ixzz1ONzsopBa

WhiteJC

Former Newcastle boss Chris Hughton is poised to take the vacant Cardiff job. (Sunday Express)

WhiteJC

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/duo_interested_in_martin_jol_680336/index.shtml?

Duo Interested In Martin Jol

Fulham and Villa fancy Jol
Former Coventry City midfielder Martin Jol is wanted by both Fulham and Aston Villa to be their manager according to The People.

Jol's time at Highfield Road is probably best consigned to history but the Dutchman has found his forte in coaching and was popular during his time as manager of Tottenham and at the clubs abroad that he has been in charge of.

Jol had been lined up to be the Fulham manager but did a u-turn and the club appointed Mark Hughes instead.

The People is claiming that Jol 'is believed to be the leading choice of both chief executives, Villa's Paul Faulkner and Alistair Mackintosh of Fulham.'

WhiteJC

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/columnists/dave-kidd/2011/06/05/hughes-goes-from-teapot-tyrant-to-mug-punter-102039-23179300/

Hughes goes from teapot tyrant to mug punter

IT was the image which defined Mark Hughes' hasty coronation as Fulham boss last summer.

Mohamed Al Fayed grabbing the face of his new manager and attempting to physically manipulate a smile.

The Craven Cottage chairman has gone on record to describe the Duke of Edinburgh as a 'Nazi' and the Royal family as 'vampires', he likes to make frequent jokes about Viagra and has now erected a cartoon statue of an irrelevant pop megastar at Fulham's historic ground.

Colourful would be one description.

Hughes, grey of hair and quietly menacing of voice, is a man who takes things rather more seriously. Not least himself.

It was clear that this would always be an uneasy marriage.

Hughes is, of course, a towering figure in recent British football history. He played for Manchester United, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and Chelsea – and won 11 major trophies thanks to a rare combination of cut-glass technique and raging-bull aggression.

As a manager, Hughes has been successful (to varying degrees) in ­international football and with three different Premier League clubs.

He employs the unfeasibly slick Kia Joorabchian as his representative.

And when he arrived at Fulham, he demanded a bigger office and a grand £8,000 desk to replace Roy Hodgson's more modest taste in furniture.

Mystique

No wonder the Welshman has found himself linked with Chelsea, England, Bayern and Aston Villa. He has the credentials to be a decent candidate for any job . Though not the mystique which comes with a foreign name.

And yet Hughes seems destined to end up with none of those jobs – thanks to his growing reputation as a mug punter.

Hughes was on the A-list of candidates to succeed Alex Ferguson at Manchester United, until he gambled on taking over at City.

And however decent a job he performed at Eastlands, however harsh his sacking and however brutal the manner of it, the fact remains that United will never appoint a man sacked by their gauche, noisy neighbours.

Last summer, Hughes, desperate to return to management after his City sacking and fed up with waiting for Martin O'Neill to quit Villa, got itchy feet and accepted Fulham's proposal. O'Neill quit Villa days later and Hughes was left on the wrong bus.

And this week, after being installed as favourite for the vacant Villa job, Hughes walked out on Fulham despite having verbally agreed to sign a new contract.

The logic was clear. Fulham were refusing to bid serious money for Espanyol striker Pablo Osvaldo, while Villa had splashed out £18million plus substantial add-ons for Darren Bent.

Yet Villa felt uneasy, got cold feet and are currently looking elsewhere for their next manager.

Joorabchian claims Hughes's resignation was proof of his sincerity.

And despite a suspicion inside Fulham that Sparky might still turn up at Villa Park in a month's time this may, instead, be further evidence of Hughes's rank bad sense of timing.

For all his air of reserve, Hughes certainly does not lack ego.

He soon created waves at Fulham's sedate Motspur Park training ground, by expanding what his players began to call his 'Oval Office'. Walls were knocked down, staff members moved out, others were frozen out.

There is another story of Hughes reprimanding the tea lady for not using a china teapot to serve his brew.

Bosses get whispered about and sniggered at in any walk of life, it's an ­occupational hazard.

There was respect, yet little affection, for Hughes among Fulham's players, staff and supporters.

He kept his thoughts between himself and his close-knit Welsh coaching staff and created the impression the Fulham job was a little beneath him.

The truth is that Hughes owes Fulham, more than Fulham owe Hughes.

He inherited the best team in the club's history, then succeeded in ­changing little.

The first half of the season bordered on the disastrous, mainly thanks to an injury crisis, the second half was consistently decent – although Hughes' League record against the seven clubs who finished above Fulham read: played 14, won none.

Nobody turned cartwheels at the end of the season. Few shed tears when he quit on Thursday.

By abandoning the club now, Hughes has done to Fulham what Manchester City did to him 18 months ago – in short, saying 'sorry, but you're just not big enough'.

Yet while good managers fancy the Fulham job, how many big clubs want Hughes?

The last two bosses to walk out of the Cottage in pursuit of loftier challenges were Kevin Keegan, to become England manager, and Hodgson, to take over at Liverpool.

Keegan ended up quitting in the Wembley toilets, while Hodgson was being hounded out of Anfield within weeks.

Followers of Fulham, who cherish their club and expect relatively little, will suggest that these things can happen when a man gets too big for his boots.

WhiteJC

Groundhog Day?
One Sunday tabloid has published an interesting point.

With Martin O`Neil high on the list of candidates to replace Mark Hughes, it candidly points out that one of our players might not be too keen to see O`Neill take over the role.

It points out that Steve Sidwell, who signed for us from Aston Villa, had a torrid time under O`Neill barely featuring in his first team selections.

Is it a case of Groundhog Day beckoning perhaps?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243649#ixzz1OOeyDlWr

WhiteJC

Could Poyet Take the Job?
Yesterday, although I never quite got around to covering it due to circumstances of another nature, Martin Jol was the bookies favourite to succeed the departed Mark Hughes.

Today, the list of candidates, which already included Jol, Steve McClaren, Alan Curbishley and Martin O`Neil, has another name added to it.

Gus Poyet, who led Brighton to promotion from League One and into the Championship last season, has joined that list.

Poyet, who has Premier League experience as a number two to Ramos at Tottenham, has a buy-out clause of £1.2 million in his Brighton contract.

Whilst accepting he`s done a great job at the south-coast side, will his relative experience, as a number one, in the Premier League (as well as that get-out clause) have some bearing on the boards` decision?

I certainly think so!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243650#ixzz1OOf9dcD6

WhiteJC

A Dangerous Supposition?
Don`t you just love the tabloid press in this country!

Riding rough-shod over whatever may be the truth and coming up with some sensationalist headlines just to attract the readers` attention, and to hell with any libel consequences appears to be the way forward.

This morning, Sunday, one of the leading Sunday tabloids - The Sunday Mirror - gives its readers a reason why Mark Hughes walked away from the Craven Cottage job.

The tabloid implies that Hughes had "

become increasingly frustrated after being offered a new contract with a minimal pay-rise which was then lowered."

Now there`s no concrete evidence to support this, not even a quote form the obligatory source, just supposition, a dangerous supposition I`d suggest.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=243651#ixzz1OOfLQYli

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13660327.stm

Agent says Mark Hughes exit not linked to vacancies

Mark Hughes' resignation as Fulham manager was not connected to the vacancies at Aston Villa and Chelsea according to his agent Kia Joorabchian.

Hughes, who had been linked with Villa, denied an approach from another club had triggered his departure from Fulham after less than a year in charge.

Joorabchian told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek: "[The timing] was an unfortunate circumstance.

"You all realise Mark Hughes is a sincere man. He wouldn't do that."

Joorabchian suggested that the 47-year-old Welshman was motivated by a desire to manage a bigger club than the Cottagers.

"As a manager he has ambitions to really compete at the top level and be the best he can," Joorabchian added.

"[Fulham] are where they are. They are a great top-10, mid-table club and I think Mark really wants to be right up there competing in the Champions League positions, up there competing for titles. He'd like to win some cups."

Hughes cut his managerial teeth with the Wales national team in 1999 before being appointed Blackburn manager in 2004.

He spent four years at Ewood Park but left in June 2008 for Manchester City, where he spent 18 months in charge before being sacked.

Hughes returned to the Premier League at Fulham in the summer of 2010 and had been in talks about a new contract prior to his resignation.

"He wanted to tell them and give them plenty of time and there was no better time to do so than at the end of the season," Joorabchian continued.

"This has nothing to do with Aston Villa or Chelsea or any other club.

"He thought if he signs a two-year contract and buys players in the transfer market but all the time [is] looking over his shoulder thinking if a bigger job comes along, a top-four club, or maybe a place in Portugal, Spain, Germany, Italy that allows him to compete, then he'd be keen to move and that would be unfair to Fulham.

It was a total shock, him resigning. I was surprised. There was no hint of it
Fulham striker Bobby Zamora

"Mark Hughes made the decision to leave Fulham purely and simply because he didn't want to commit to two years and then disappoint them by leaving in the middle of his contract."

However, Hughes' decision at the end of a season in which he had guided Fulham to an eighth-place finish and a spot in the Europa Cup via the fair play league, came as a shock to striker Bobby Zamora.

"It was a total shock, him resigning," said the 30-year-old England forward.

"I was surprised. There was no hint of it. It leaves us waiting for another manager.

"It was going well. Everyone had bought into his ideas and were just starting to play the way he wanted.

"But Mark has got his reasons. I don't blame him at all. It's one of those things. Managers and players come and go."

Joorabchian refused to be drawn on whether former Chelsea striker Hughes would be returning to Stamford Bridge in a coaching capacity.

"I'm sure they have their own planning," he said. "We have not spoken to them. They have not spoken to us.

"He knows the club well but it would be disrespectful of us to say 'yes, we'd like to go there'.

"It's a case of Mark sitting on the sidelines and seeing what opportunities are there and throughout Europe."

Chelsea captain John Terry has already admitted that he would welcome the appointment of Hughes.

Meanwhile, reports in the Sunday papers suggest Blues owner Roman Abramovich is keen on pairing Guus Hiddink and Hughes as a managerial team.

Dutchman Hiddink, 64, who is coach of Turkey, had a spell as caretaker manager at Chelsea following their sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari in February 2009, guiding the Blues to an FA Cup final victory.

os5889

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/football/rijkaard-in-the-frame-for-premier-league-job

Rijkaard in the frame for Premier League job
Duncan Castles
Jun 5, 2011

Frank Rijkaard has emerged as an unexpected candidate for the vacant Aston Villa manager's job as Fulham close in on bringing Martin Jol back to English football.

Both Premier League sides are currently without coaches after Gerard Houllier resigned his post following serious health problems last week and Mark Hughes exercised a clause in his Fulham contract that allowed him to leave the club.

Villa were initially expected to invite Hughes to replace Houllier, but senior club officials insist that they have no intention of appointing the Welshman. Hughes, who has now gone through three Premier League managerial positions in four years had angered Fulham by courting the more affluent clubs while still under contract at Craven Cottage.

The 47-year-old was not Fulham's first choice to succeed Roy Hodgson last summer. Instead the club offered the position to Jol, under the mistaken understanding that the popular former Tottenham Hotspur manager was free to leave Ajax Amsterdam. Jol, who led Tottenham to consecutive fifth-placed finishes, has subsequently left Ajax and is interested in a return to London where he still owns a house.

Rijkaard returned Barcelona to Champions League success during a five season spell at the Camp Nou in which he also won two Spanish titles.

The former Netherland international contacted Villa last week to express his interest in replacing Houllier and is understood to have received a positive response.

Paul Faulkner, the Villa chief executive, has been charged with drawing up a shortlist of candidates for the position that is expected to also include Jol, Steve McClaren and Rafael Benitez. The club are also know to know admirers of David Moyes. The Scot has worked successive seasons at Everton without a transfer budget and could conceivably be tempted by Villa were the Midlands club to offer a long-term contract with significant funds to restructure their squad.

Hughes is represented by Kia Joorabchian, a controversial figure who has drawn the ire of several English and overseas clubs. On Friday, Joorabchian insisted that his client had not resigned from Fulham in the expectation of taking over at Villa. "He wants to go to club where he can fight for titles, whether that is in England, Spain, Italy or Portugal," Joorabchian said. "If that means he has to be out of management for a year then that is the case. Mark left Fulham because he wanted to explore his aspirations.

"I stick by what we are saying - we were not talking to anybody. No other club is in consideration. The timing may have influenced the press and public that he's headed in a direction. That's not the case."