News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone else properly impressed by Fulham?

Started by os5889, June 07, 2011, 08:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Seriously 5 (3 if you dont include the weekend) days to appoint a new manager was a fantastic effort! I know some royally pissed off Villa fans who fancied a bit of Jol and were convinced he was going to their big club....

What with the drawn out saga of appointing Roy, Sanchez and Sparky and a number of drawn out player signings this was really refreshing.

Credit where its due, well done Fulham  :clap_hands:

075.gif

Ron Sheepskin

"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

nevzter

No doubt - brilliant piece of business.   :drums:
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

The Doctor

Indeed, and we're lucky that there were a few options knocking around unattached when Hughes walked out.  No histronics, no trumpeting in the press who we're talking to, just get on with it and get the job done.  Bosh.

The only lingering concern I have is that, in light of last summer's shenanigans, Jol's not averse to a bit of brinksmanship.  It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't stick around past the duration of his initial contract.  But I'll admit that's probably true of any candidate, and he must have been suitably impressed with us (and us with him) for there even to be a discussion this time around.  But, it's a minor concern and we have more pressing matters so he has my support.

No rest for the wicked though.  Before training starts up, he'll have to get up to speed on what's what and who's who at the club.  First appointment should be with Ray Lew for an "FFC orientation session".  2nd appointment with the soon-to-be-departing coaches (put 'em on bog-cleaning duty for a month, Martin!).  Then get to know all the sports science people and other first-team support that seems to be highly regarded.  Then for God's sake sort out expiring contracts.  Gera in particular.  The speedy appointment gives us a good chance to hold on to players like him and we'll need 'em all next season.

Welcome to FFC, Martin.  Do us proud.

Burt

Indeed. This has been a slickly executed piece of business.

Minimum fuss. No rubbish in the press. "Speed and precision", as my boss says.

LBNo11

...Alistair Macintosh has come in for some unfair criticism by some for matters out of his control, but this shows how he deals with things, he is very professional.

Jol being appointed in a few days of the departure the other bloke showed Macintosh had kept his links open with Jol and had formulated a plan 'A' and maybe a plan 'B' based on the experience when Hodgson left us high and dry.

Winning the FxPro exclusive sponsorship completes a 'double whammy' over the big midlands club...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: os5889 on June 07, 2011, 08:54:20 PM
Seriously 5 (3 if you dont include the weekend) days to appoint a new manager was a fantastic effort! I know some royally pissed off Villa fans who fancied a bit of Jol and were convinced he was going to their big club....

What with the drawn out saga of appointing Roy, Sanchez and Sparky and a number of drawn out player signings this was really refreshing.

Credit where its due, well done Fulham  :clap_hands:

075.gif

Those Villa fans better recognise that their owner Lerner, is embattled in the NFL lockout situation. If theres no NFL season, he will not spend a penny more than they sell on, and I reckon theyre for the drop or for sale in the near future. His bread and butter is the NFL, Villas holding the second fiddle.
The Dude abides.

Rupert

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 07, 2011, 09:31:12 PM
Those Villa fans better recognise that their owner Lerner, is embattled in the NFL lockout situation. If theres no NFL season, he will not spend a penny more than they sell on, and I reckon theyre for the drop or for sale in the near future. His bread and butter is the NFL, Villas holding the second fiddle.

I'm intrigued. From a distance, and I freely admit I haven't paid too much attention to Aston Villa, I thought Lerner was one of the better chairmen, happy to invest but not stupid enough to pour in mega-millions chasing an impossible dream.

So, what is this lockout thing? Are players on strike, or something?

Edit- Oops, just thought this might be better under a topic of it's own, sorry mods.
And, to answer the original topic, very very impressed with how FFC have acted here.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

FatFreddysCat

Yep no hanging about, very swift. Would have preferred O' Niell, but very happy with Jol. Thought he messed us about last year,but if that was the case, i'm sure MO wouldn't have gone back for him. Well done Fulham  :54:

Tom

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on June 07, 2011, 08:55:26 PM
+1
+2  Very impressed how swiftly they dealt with the situation and got the deal done.  082.gif
Fulham for life!

Rabbit

Fulham must've kept in reasonably close contact with Jol - I'm not sure how else they could've gotten this deal done in just a matter of days if they hadn't.

finnster01

Anyone knows what the Jol contract looks like? Please don't tell me it is the same old "rolling" contract nonsense that let Roy and Sparky both move at their earliest convenience
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FC Silver Fox

Alistair Macintosh , stand up and take a bow, son. Great job.  :Haynes The Maestro:
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

luckykat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 08, 2011, 08:54:19 AM
Alistair Macintosh , stand up and take a bow, son. Great job.  :Haynes The Maestro:

+1

Vinnieffc

I have a feeling this was a 'fait accompli' and that Mo had his eye on Jol well before Sparky's contract was up.. I reckon Sparky was pushed, but still in any case he made it easy by shooting himself in the foot by biting the bait. Great bit of business IMHO.