News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Why are there so many vegetarians in America?

Started by finnster01, June 17, 2011, 06:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

I'd like to know especially since you invented McDonalds too.  

Actually that may be the reason but please educate me on this topic. I keep running into all these people "oh no, I only eat vegetables". That is a bit like me saying I only watch League One :032:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

I donno mate its a conundrum to me as well. Its like only drinking N/A beer
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

We are all great followers, Mr. Finn, plus we have a never-ending supply of people trying to make us feel guilty about what we choose to do.

I like veggies, but they tend to fall through the grill, and I LOVE to BBQ. I have friends who do the "ethical eating" thing, and I respect them, but there are a few truths that Vegetarians and Vegans seem to miss out on.

1. If we weren't supposed to eat meat, we wouldn't be able to digest it.
2. Who decided that it's moral to eat a carrot or a cabbage but not a leg of lamb? Aren't vegetables living before we rip them out of the ground, flay off their skin and then subject them to baking/drowning?
3. REAL beer and yoghurt are living WHEN YOU CONSUME THEM!  :beer:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

timmyg

My missus and many friends are vegetarians. (I'm not.)

For some, they just don't like the taste of meat. For many others, it's an ethical thing. I find nothing wrong with the lifestyle at all, but I think it is borne out of convenience; i.e. we all no longer live poor agrarian lifestyles where if we chose to not eat meat (or any food that was available) we'd probably starve to death.

Now Vegans on the other hand...
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

SoCalJoe

Interesting question Mr. Finn since I assumed that there were probably the same % of vegetarians in Europe. A couple broad view guesses; - Growing up in the 70/80's vegetarians were looked at w/suspicion, now it's very mainstream, which attracts more people to it. - We are an animal loving nation. - We are a country of extremes, so along with a huge obesity problem, there is a huge group that goes to the other extreme.

Funny you mentioned McDonalds, my 16 year old in her foods class was shown the documentary "Super Size Me" and hasn't wanted to eat anything from there since.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

ron

What amazes me is the conversation that goes; "I'm a vegetarian"....."Really? Do you eat fish?" "Yes, but that doesn't count"....... "How about chicken ?" ..."Yes, but that's white meat. You can still eat that......."

....Yes, of course you can. But all claims of vegetarianism have long since gone out the window !

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: SoCalJoe on June 17, 2011, 04:27:45 PM
Interesting question Mr. Finn since I assumed that there were probably the same % of vegetarians in Europe. A couple broad view guesses; - Growing up in the 70/80's vegetarians were looked at w/suspicion, now it's very mainstream, which attracts more people to it. - We are an animal loving nation. - We are a country of extremes, so along with a huge obesity problem, there is a huge group that goes to the other extreme.

Funny you mentioned McDonalds, my 16 year old in her foods class was shown the documentary "Super Size Me" and hasn't wanted to eat anything from there since.

I still look at them in suspicion
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 17, 2011, 07:49:18 PM
Quote from: SoCalJoe on June 17, 2011, 04:27:45 PM

I still look at them in suspicion

Which brings me, naturally to:

Elvis Presley Suspicion

sorry, I once wrote a song called "Some days everything sounds like a song."
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

The Dude abides.

CincyFulham1

finnster01

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 18, 2011, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 18, 2011, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 18, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
Your typical Englsih vegetarian.

Young Ones - Neil the policeman.flv

Open up, it's the pigs.....That is almost thirty years old and it still makes me turkish.

Don't want to nit-pick Mr Cincy, bur turkish can mean two things: Laugh (as in turkish bath) or shite (as in turkish delight, the chocolate bar)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CincyFulham1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 18, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 18, 2011, 11:04:51 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 18, 2011, 10:19:58 AM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 18, 2011, 09:41:34 AM
Your typical Englsih vegetarian.

Young Ones - Neil the policeman.flv

Open up, it's the pigs.....That is almost thirty years old and it still makes me turkish.

Don't want to nit-pick Mr Cincy, bur turkish can mean two things: Laugh (as in turkish bath) or shite (as in turkish delight, the chocolate bar)

Your right Finn, I should have used  turkish bath.  I can never remember when to use the rhyming word and when not to.  I really need to get back to London.