watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol on Tuesday

Started by Lighthouse, June 19, 2011, 04:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Our season really starts on Tuesday. At least we will have something to talk about after the press conference. Or will we? Will it be the same platitudes, will Al Fayed embarrass everybody but his staff will smile politely? Will Jol tell us how excired he is about working with (prompt from Sarah Brookes), will he say he wants to finish as high as he can in the Prem and do well in all the cups, despite the long season? Will we be left with anything more to say about him or Fulham?

Never mind,  the over paid millionaires of tennis will be sitting in the rain by then. At least that will be worth a joke or two.

Oh I forgot we have the Europa draw on Monday.  :033:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2011, 04:09:23 PM
Our season really starts on Tuesday. At least we will have something to talk about after the press conference. Or will we? Will it be the same platitudes, will Al Fayed embarrass everybody but his staff will smile politely? Will Jol tell us how excired he is about working with (prompt from Sarah Brookes), will he say he wants to finish as high as he can in the Prem and do well in all the cups, despite the long season? Will we be left with anything more to say about him or Fulham?

Never mind,  the over paid millionaires of tennis will be sitting in the rain by then. At least that will be worth a joke or two.

You're on form early this year, the football has not started yet and you are already writing off the season!

SmithyFFC

I do admire your blind optimism Lighthouse!

Lets hope Jol makes a good first impression and gives us something to get excited about.
FTID

finnster01

Jol on Tuesday: "Scho,  ash I behaved like a schit last year and didn't take the offer and meshed up at Ajachs on top, I have deschided to mesh up Fulham too thish year. I'd like to prove I can not manage anyone from spursh so I'll schtart with benching Murphy".

Jol, gone by Christmash.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SmithyFFC

Quote from: finnster01 on June 19, 2011, 04:58:05 PM
Jol on Tuesday: "Scho,  ash I behaved like a schit last year and didn't take the offer and meshed up at Ajachs on top, I have deschided to mesh up Fulham too thish year. I'd like to prove I can not manage anyone from spursh so I'll schtart with benching Murphy".

Jol, gone by Christmash.

Will he be doing his Steve McClaren impression then?
FTID

Lighthouse

Not writing off the season at all. Just laughing at a press conference that will be hard to get excited about. It is easy to make a good impression. Say a few nice words about Fulham will have most of all lapping it up as usual. Let us hope it something worth listening to.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2011, 05:07:44 PM
Not writing off the season at all. Just laughing at a press conference that will be hard to get excited about. It is easy to make a good impression. Say a few nice words about Fulham will have most of all lapping it up as usual. Let us hope it something worth listening to.

Out of interest, why do you dislike Jol so much?

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 19, 2011, 05:18:03 PM

Hint: Managing another London team I dislike (and getting sacked as usual).

Plus, I just do not trust him. Up to him to prove me wrong

Lighthouse

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 19, 2011, 05:18:03 PM

What have I ever written that makes it appear I dislike Jol? I am sure he is the only man for the job. But after enjoying last season and the football we played, I invested too much time and enthusiasm in supporting Hughes when others didn't.

I LOVE knowing Fulham are in the Premier league and was astonished when other fans dont share my enthusiasm. It is not the be all and end all to them. Cup honours are. The early rounds of the Europa against Worthing standard teams doesn't thrill me like it does others. But that has nothing to do with Jol. I hope it is third time lucky and we keep him after a great season.

finnster01

Sorry Mr AFC, I thought you asked me.  093.gif

Brede Butter Pudding

I think it's great that people have contrasting opinions on Jol and the managerial situation, makes this place far more interesting.

However, to those who appear to be so negative about EVERYTHING connected to this season (thus far), and to Finnster who says he doesn't trust Jol, can I ask why?

Hughes was a pr!ck to us and as such has been left behind and we've moved on, it was a kick in the gonads YES but we've now got the man we wanted (or the board wanted) all along.

And Jol was sacked at Spurs but I think there's a great deal of mystery surrounding the situation, as can be seen by the comments by Spurs fans towards his coming back to the premier league - many people saying 'it was embarrassing how we treated him and I'm glad to see he's being given another shot, he wasn't given a fair chance with us', and I think that speaks volumes.

I don't think there's any point writing Jol or the season off before ANYTHING of significance has begun.

finnster01

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on June 19, 2011, 06:19:10 PM
I think it's great that people have contrasting opinions on Jol and the managerial situation, makes this place far more interesting.

However, to those who appear to be so negative about EVERYTHING connected to this season (thus far), and to Finnster who says he doesn't trust Jol, can I ask why?

Hughes was a pr!ck to us and as such has been left behind and we've moved on, it was a kick in the gonads YES but we've now got the man we wanted (or the board wanted) all along.

And Jol was sacked at Spurs but I think there's a great deal of mystery surrounding the situation, as can be seen by the comments by Spurs fans towards his coming back to the premier league - many people saying 'it was embarrassing how we treated him and I'm glad to see he's being given another shot, he wasn't given a fair chance with us', and I think that speaks volumes.

I don't think there's any point writing Jol or the season off before ANYTHING of significance has begun.

They way he treated us last time in the summer leaving us with f-all time to get a new manager in. First he said he was interested, then he used us to get a bigger paycheck from Ajax. Not a very honourable thing to do and we all know that venture all ended tits up too. Same goes with Sparky, and Hodgson didn't leave like a gentleman either.

Hence I don't really trust him as I think he is using Fulham every bit as the other gents as a stepping stone to bigger and greater things. Just my opinion mate. Plus I think he is highly overrated. Again, he can gladly prove me wrong.

Brede Butter Pudding

Quote from: finnster01 on June 19, 2011, 06:37:29 PM

They way he treated us last time in the summer leaving us with f-all time to get a new manager in. First he said he was interested, then he used us to get a bigger paycheck from Ajax. Not a very honourable thing to do and we all know that venture all ended tits up too. Same goes with Sparky, and Hodgson didn't leave like a gentleman either.

Hence I don't really trust him as I think he is using Fulham every bit as the other gents as a stepping stone to bigger and greater things. Just my opinion mate. Plus I think he is highly overrated. Again, he can gladly prove me wrong.

But do we really know why that farce occurred last year? I don't think we do... he told SSN that he was extremely disappointed that the deal fell through and, depending on where you read, I gather it was more to do with the fact that he had a contract at Ajax that did indeed have a get-out clause but it was too high for Fulham to pay. It appeared like he was all ready to go but unfortunately Ajax pulled the plug, not Jol. But I hope he proves you wrong, seems a shame such negativity appears to shroud such a potentially exciting period for the club. 

Senior Supporter

Mr. Finn, there are few less forgiving people than our Chairman. I am quite sure that, if Mo felt it was Jol's fault that he did not come last year, he would have had nothing more to do with the man. On the contrary we hear that the Club have kept in contact with him throughout last season, so I am happy that it was not his fault that we were let down.

Lighthouse

There is a mistrust certainly between our managers and some fans now. We have heard it all before. Unlike most fans, I took Hughes to be a manager that would take us on FURTHER.  I really thought we could 'push on'. But as I have said, many fans don't think we can push on any further in the Premier. It is all down to opinion.

But instead of asking why people like me are negative? Remember I was one of the few positive voices around the New Year. I enthused endlessly about our positive play. Now I am more cautious. Last time I was buzzing about the new season, many fans talked about winning cups instead of doing better in the Prem. Then Hughes suddenly left.

I truly believe we can have our greatest squad, if we believe we can break into the next level in the Premier. However if we don't and just want players to fill in for the early rounds of competitions like the Europa. Then ultimately that will be our ambition. We will struggle.

We can still have ambition without spending silly money like Hughes wanted. But I am negative about the early rounds of the Europa as is well documented. I just consider the Premier a bigger competition than the Europa. Just an opinion. All be it a minority one.

finnster01

Quote from: Senior Supporter on June 19, 2011, 06:51:12 PM

Mr. Finn, there are few less forgiving people than our Chairman. I am quite sure that, if Mo felt it was Jol's fault that he did not come last year, he would have had nothing more to do with the man. On the contrary we hear that the Club have kept in contact with him throughout last season, so I am happy that it was not his fault that we were let down.

That is actually a very fair point mate. Having said that, beggars can't be choosers either.

MJG

This is one reason why football is so great, we can all have a different view on the same subject.
I did not want Hughes from day one and made it pretty clear all the way through the season. Even when things improved it still did not feel right and in the end my feelings were right, he looked down on us and then off he went.
With Jol i'm ok with him here, yes he mucked us around, but as mentioned before if he had been than bad dealing with us I can't see MAF going back to him.

I'm really excited by this season and with less than two weeks to KO I can't wait to get going. Keeping pretty much the same squad, four or five in and some good youngsters, bring it on.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on June 19, 2011, 04:52:59 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on June 19, 2011, 04:09:23 PM

You're on form early this year, the football has not started yet and you are already writing off the season!
he's just attention seeking as usual,ignore him,this is going to be a very exciting season for us and if anyone can't get behind that please feel free to take the advice of MAF and trot on down the road :clap_hands:

Scrumpy

I was a fan of Hughes, and thought he could take us further this season. He was not a very easy guy to like, but he did a good professional job. Disapointed that he left.

Jol is experienced, but does have the odd blip in his career. But I am excited about his arrival. Without exception, the Spurs fans I have spoken to have said that they loved the guy and would take him back in a heart beat. Most of them rated him higher than Redknap! I am sure he will do well for us, and he is certainly someone that we can get behind.

If he's succesful, then I reckon he will hang around for 2-3 years and we will be a stonger Club as a result.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Lighthouse

Sorry Rambling Syd and to everybody if you think my feeble joke about the press conference inferred I was writing off the season. I am not sure how that leap was achieved but sorry it was. The point about attention seeking is a good one. I just expected a reply saying, "yes this press conference could be a waste" or "I am looking forward to it".

But if you really believe somebody is 'attention seeking' I suggest you don't reply to the threads. Especially mine, as what I write down is often misconstrued.