watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Belfast Guide - From A Friendly Crues Fan

Started by White Noise, June 21, 2011, 11:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

I have been chatting to a Crusaders fan in Belfast on Twitter and email and he has been kind enough to provide me with the following info to help those going to the game. He, and others I have communicated with, have said what a genuinely warm welcome Fulham and their fans will get from their club and Crues fans. It is apparently a huge game for them and they are really looking forward to it. They seem a really hospitable and friendly lot and Colin (@BelfastCrusader on Twitter) has said he is happy to answer all and any questions from Fulham fans. PM me if you want his email address or contact him on Twitter or I will be happy to relay questions to him on your behalf and put the answers on here. Thanks.

Firstly I'd like to reassure you that Fulham FC & their fans will receive a very warm welcome 'if' they get through the 2nd Qualifying Rd. Except open arms from The Crusaders family and Northern Ireland as a whole.

This is a massive game not only for Crusaders but also for the Irish League.

Airports

2 Airports serve Belfast and it doesnt matter which you fly into. Belfast International is 25mins from Belfast City Centre with George Best Belfast City Airport a 10min drive. Both are served by public transport and taxis of course. International Airport in a taxi is around £25-£30, City is £10.

Belfast International routes to London :

Easyjet - Luton,Stansted,Gatwick

Aer Lingus - Heathrow

Belfast City routes to London :

BMI - Heathrow

BMIBaby - Stansted

Flybe - Gatwick

Belfast City Centre is very small and 15mins will see you walk round the main area, so hotels are all very central. Ive never stayed in a Belfast hotel but eaten in plenty of them and never heard any horror stories.

These hotels are the best centrally located so just a case of finding the best price.

Days Hotel Belfast, Europa Hotel (most bombed hotel in Europe claim to fame), Jury's Inn, Quality Inn, 3 x Premier Inns, IBIS or Park Inn.

As for drinking there are plenty of bars. No horror bars for drinking in Belfast just the usual doorstaff that don't allow football shirts to be worn or large groups coming to the door. I could personally take you on a pub crawl through Belfast and show you some of the better bars. Whites Tavern is Belfast's oldest, opened in 1630. Crown Bar, Robinsons, Duke of York, Laverys to name a few. Again these are are walking distance from the hotels mentioned above.

Northern Ireland is a small place and if you wanted a day out of the city you could visit the North Coast. Only 60-70 miles from Belfast people go and see The Giants Causeway & Londonderry.

http://www.paddywagontours.com/viewtour.php?id=42&&day=21&&month=06&&year=2011 Belfast Tourism Site http://www.gotobelfast.com/

Hope that's not too long winded for you!

Any questions at all drop me and line.

Colin

White Noise

And a further reply -

Feel free to use the info the way you want.

I'm happy to have my details passed on to anyone who wants to ask me any questions about Crusaders, Belfast or Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland still has some sectarian issues but these are kept to housing areas away from the city centre.

Tourism has really taken off in Belfast since the troubles have effectively stopped, so I expect no issues for you travelling across. 

Seaview, Crusaders ground is 2.3 miles from Belfast Centre, £1.90 on public transport or £6 in a taxi. We have a social club at the ground and 2 pubs are beside the ground so no issue getting a pre match pint.

Always good to plan ahead and I don't believe you are being arrogant in planning ahead. We are ourselves taking a risk in booking flights to London when the game is confirmed so hopefully all goes to form and we meet in the next round!

Are you going to the Faroes? I was there last October watching Northern Ireland in a UEFA 2012 Qualifier. I follow the NI team home and away.

The Equalizer

Brilliant stuff mate. I'm going to pass this on to the email loop that I'm going with.

We're travelling from Heathrow to Belfast Int at 9.30 on the thursday, returning at 13.20 on friday. It would be nice to see the Giant's Causeway when we get there.

Hotel wise we've booked the Ibis hotel on University St which is £49 for a twin or double room.

Can't wait for this one, will be a hell of a trip. I'll make sure not to wear an orange t-shirt.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

White Noise

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 21, 2011, 11:55:54 AM
Brilliant stuff mate. I'm going to pass this on to the email loop that I'm going with.

We're travelling from Heathrow to Belfast Int at 9.30 on the thursday, returning at 13.20 on friday. It would be nice to see the Giant's Causeway when we get there.

Hotel wise we've booked the Ibis hotel on University St which is £49 for a twin or double room.

Can't wait for this one, will be a hell of a trip. I'll make sure not to wear an orange t-shirt.

Good stuff. Colin says he has just registered on here so he can answer questions direct so perhaps the Mods could confirm his registration when convenient. Thanks. He had this to say about The Faroes -

Just registered on the forum as BelfastCrusader so will look out for any posts, yet on the phone so might wait until I'm on my laptop later as will be able to read it better.

Faroe Islands wasn't cheap. We chartered a 98 seated plane! On top of that a pint was £7!

I'm sure the Europa  run was fantastic as a fan, yet unfortunately we are not paid players wages and sometimes other things are more important!

WhiteJC

Quote from: White Noise on June 21, 2011, 11:59:30 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on June 21, 2011, 11:55:54 AM

Good stuff. Colin says he has just registered on here so he can answer questions direct so perhaps the Mods could confirm his registration when convenient. Thanks. He had this to say about The Faroes -

Just registered on the forum as BelfastCrusader so will look out for any posts, yet on the phone so might wait until I'm on my laptop later as will be able to read it better.

Faroe Islands wasn't cheap. We chartered a 98 seated plane! On top of that a pint was £7!

I'm sure the Europa  run was fantastic as a fan, yet unfortunately we are not paid players wages and sometimes other things are more important!

he should be able to post now

King_Crud

I can confirm that the drive from Belfast to Giants Causeway, then east back to Belfast is a fantastic one, stunning coastline. And I stayed in the YHA which was clean and in excellent condition. THis was 10 years ago, but I'm sure it's still in good nick.

GoldCoastWhite

Sounds great but never trust anyone named Colin !  :033:

finnster01

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on June 21, 2011, 01:35:41 PM
Sounds great but never trust anyone named Colin !  :033:
That is very funny Colin  :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

finnster01

My gran named me after the lad who supposedly made the Giant's Causeway, Finn MacCool (although I am not as big as I used to be.)

CincyFulham1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 21, 2011, 02:30:11 PM
My gran named me after the lad who supposedly made the Giant's Causeway, Finn MacCool (although I am not as big as I used to be.)

Finn MacCool?  Sounds like the name an american would give a bad "english" Pub.

finnster01

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 21, 2011, 02:47:57 PM

Finn MacCool?  Sounds like the name an american would give a bad "english" Pub.

Not as good as O'Kims at the Westin Hotel in Seoul, Korea

CincyFulham1

Quote from: finnster01 on June 21, 2011, 03:01:44 PM
Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 21, 2011, 02:47:57 PM

Several years ago a pub was going to open in Cincinnati and they kept stressing the fact that it would be a traditional English pub.  They flew a union jack out front and served bad english

Finn MacCool?  Sounds like the name an american would give a bad "english" Pub.

Not as good as O'Kims at the Westin Hotel in Seoul, Korea

O'Kims  :003:  I guess they would get a fare bit of trade from the large Irish/Korean community.

Several years ago a new pub was going to open in Cincinnati and they kept stressing the fact that it would be a "traditional" english pub.  They flew the union jack out front and served poorly prepared englsih fare, but had good beers on tap.  It was called The Hibernian..go figure.  

Blingo

Now if you had been talking about the Hibernian at the back of Fulham broadway, I would have understood lol. Many good nights were had in there with some good paddy mates.  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

The Equalizer

Quote from: Blingo on June 21, 2011, 03:30:14 PM
Now if you had been talking about the Hibernian at the back of Fulham broadway, I would have understood lol. Many good nights were had in there with some good paddy mates.  :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

I remember it well mate, although I spent more time there when it become the Gardens Club or something.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 21, 2011, 03:38:57 PM
Quote from: Blingo on June 21, 2011, 03:30:14 PM

I remember it well mate, although I spent more time there when it become the Gardens Club or something.

If you guys remember it well, you couldn't have had THAT good a time.  :beer:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel