News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Anyone else enjoying Game of Thrones?

Started by WHITEwitch, June 22, 2011, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHITEwitch

Loved the books and cant wait for next one due out in July.

TV series on SKY is superb and devastated that the first instalment ended on Monday.

Stunning special effects.

WhiteJC

I've not seen any however, it did look interesting, hopefully it will come to BBC or ITV

Nick the Swede

I watched the first 9 episodes over the weekend and I'm hooked.
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

FatFreddysCat

Yeah superb, but the weather keeps mucking my Sky up and it didn't record very well Monday, though i did get to see the baby dragons.

FatFreddysCat

Young king Joffrey is a nasty bit of work and i love the  Dwarf, i hope he gets an extended run.

theo

I love the books, but have struggled to get into the series as I feel my watching it is kinda redundant when I know everything that's gonna happen. Easily one of my favourite series of books though, and have read them a fair few times. People who haven't read the books aren't gonna know what hit them when the series really hits it's stride.

WHITEwitch

Yes we haven't even hit any of the really nasty stuff yet. 

I love the way he throws the story completely sideways everytime you get complacent about a character.

So pleased I'm not the only one enjoying it.

The Equalizer

I'm only 3 episodes in so far. Must try and catch up a bit tonight.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Aspen

Brilliant series - will not be coming to BBC or ITV - I think they start filming next week in Ireland for the next series - just ordered the books

NogoodBoyo

Lots of full frontals, simulated and/or stimulated carnals, beheadings, galahadings, court intrigue, vice, incest and strange sporons north of the Wall. What's not to like about it?  Could do without the little dragons though.
Anybody else recognise Geoffrey from the boarding school of their choice?
Nogood "two thumbs up, isit" Boyo - ouch!

MrCheviot

Quote from: theo on June 22, 2011, 02:55:57 PM
I love the books, but have struggled to get into the series as I feel my watching it is kinda redundant when I know everything that's gonna happen. Easily one of my favourite series of books though, and have read them a fair few times. People who haven't read the books aren't gonna know what hit them when the series really hits it's stride.

How do you re-read a series that isn't finished? I vowed after Robert Jordan to not make the same mistake again. Had I known Martin hadn't finished the series when I was contemplating my purchase, I would've steered clear and enjoyed the quality of the shows w/ the added enjoyment of suspense.

That said, the books thus far written are thoroughly enjoyable.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

theo

Quote from: MrCheviot on June 24, 2011, 02:15:32 AM

How do you re-read a series that isn't finished? I vowed after Robert Jordan to not make the same mistake again. Had I known Martin hadn't finished the series when I was contemplating my purchase, I would've steered clear and enjoyed the quality of the shows w/ the added enjoyment of suspense.

I just end up reading the previous ones again before the new one comes out, as it normally takes him a few years to get the next one out I find it quite handy. Think I've read the first book three times now. Read through them again this year in preparation for the one thats coming out next month.

Slightly off-topic but have you read the Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson? If not I strongly recommend it. Amazing series, and it's just come to an end, so no waiting around for the next book.

DukeTyrion

I was really annoyed when I found out that it's the only channel I can't get through Virgin Media >.<

I have read all the books, and I am also getting frustrated with the author, as the latest book has been delayed several times over the last few years.

Given the author's age, and the current delay between each book, I am starting to wonder if he ever intends to complete the series  :035:

The Equalizer

It's an excellent show. Just finished Episode 5 last night and I'm getting right into it. Finally we've had a bit of action and lots of women's parts.  :yay:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

WHITEwitch

Quote from: theo on June 24, 2011, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: MrCheviot on June 24, 2011, 02:15:32 AM

I just end up reading the previous ones again before the new one comes out, as it normally takes him a few years to get the next one out I find it quite handy. Think I've read the first book three times now. Read through them again this year in preparation for the one thats coming out next month.

Slightly off-topic but have you read the Malazan book of the fallen series by Steven Erikson? If not I strongly recommend it. Amazing series, and it's just come to an end, so no waiting around for the next book.

Thanks for recommendation I will look for that one.  I also love Robin Hobbs Mad Ship trilogy - fantastic story teller and well worth a look if you like George RR.

theo

I read the Robin Hobb books years and years ago, might have to give them a revisit.

Tempted to start threatening my mates with spoilers for GoT to get beers etc out of them. Bound to work beautifully, at least until they get fed up and beat me up.

WHITEwitch

Quote from: theo on June 24, 2011, 11:26:04 AM
I read the Robin Hobb books years and years ago, might have to give them a revisit.

Tempted to start threatening my mates with spoilers for GoT to get beers etc out of them. Bound to work beautifully, at least until they get fed up and beat me up.

They may not believe you :o) Nobody like George for killing off or maiming main characters when you least expect it.

DukeTyrion

I think Mr Martin has painted himself into a bit of a corner with the book series.

He started with many of the main characters being quite young, which would obviously allow them to grow and develop as the books progressed. However, since the books move very quickly in a relatively short space of time, how does he 'age' the characters enough to bring them into the fore, without slapping some paragraph in there saying 'and then it went quiet for a few years'?