watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (27/06/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 27, 2011, 07:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Andre Villas-Boas and Co may be paid handsomely but you can't put price on success

One of the more amusing observations made by a worldly Chelsea fan after the club paid £13.3 million compensation for Andre Villas-Boas was that if Portugal was run as financially robustly as Porto, "the country wouldn't need bailing out".

Class act: Andre Villas-Boas heads to Chelsea with a serial winner's reputation
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Porto's sensible strategy reflects that good managers are now like their stars, commanding substantial transfer fees. Birmingham City even sought £5.4 million compensation for Alex McLeish and he'd been relegated.

A perception strangely persists that managers are losing their power, that chairmen, chief executives, directors of football and supporters impinge increasingly on them.

Harry Redknapp, the Tottenham manager, flew to Denmark to watch Barcelona's Bojan against England Under-21s and was besieged throughout the second half by Spurs fans clamouring for his autograph.

They all left with the signature they wanted. Redknapp didn't.

Even a simple scouting trip has a myriad demands.

It is hard to imagine Redknapp surfing online forums, discovering what is being written about him, but some managers do.

Before joining Fulham last week, Martin Jol did due diligence on the club, including assessing fans' reaction to the possibility of his arrival and their hopes for the season.

"I had a good look at the forums,'' reflected Jol, "and the fans expect us to do well but they don't expect us to be in the Champions League.''

Fulham fans are known to be amongst the more level-headed terrace inhabitants but Jol clearly felt it wise to check.

A confident Dutchman, Jol still offered up the opinion that the manager's task was being inhibited by other escalating influences, notably the chairman, chief executive, and, as he discovered painfully at Spurs, the director of football.

Jol is fortunate that at Fulham he now works for one of the most respected chief executives around, Alistair Mackintosh, while he also went out of his way to praise Mohamed Fayed as an owner "who does not interfere".

But, Jol argued, the all-powerful "Boss", laird of all he surveys, is no more.

"What is a Boss?" Jol mused. "Do you think there is one manager in England who makes the decisions about financial matters with players? There is not."

"Fergie?" somebody suggested. "You're right," he acknowledged.

Managers have the power. Ferguson wanted Phil Jones, Ashley Young and (pending) David de Gea and his very able chief executive, David Gill, duly obliged.

There are others. Kenny Dalglish has gone into Liverpool, working with Jol's old bête noir Damien Comolli, and stamped his mark on the transfer policy. Stewart Downing, not Sylvain Marveaux, is now the target for the left-sided slot.

Managers still dictate transfer-market movements. Villas-Boas is already being linked with two of his Porto stars, Falcao and Joao Moutinho.

At Chelsea, Roman Abramovich will always lob an expensive gift into the dressing-room, whether Andrei Shevchenko or Fernando Torres, and the manager has to deal with it.

But Villas-Boas need start worrying only if Avram Grant walks into Cobham. Abramovich's main interference comes primarily with the ridiculous frequency with which he dismisses accomplished managers.

There will always be takers for the job.

Such is the ambition of some managers that they move on suddenly, some resigning by fax (Villas-Boas) or by email (McLeish) to reach pastures new.

Mark Hughes, a multi-millionaire, even quit Fulham without a job to go to, a decision that currently looks bizarre although may be clarified at the end of June when he is free to negotiate with other clubs.

But who? Hughes appeared destined for Villa but they were unimpressed by the way he left Fulham (mutual respect defines the working relationship between Mackintosh and his Villa counterpart, Paul Faulkner).

As Hughes looked on, Villa chased McLeish, whose reputation was strong enough to survive the embarrassment of relegation. For all the understandable tribal concerns of some Villa fans, good managers like McLeish are wanted men.

Compensation shows that. Birmingham City's acting chairman, Peter Pannu, claimed that McLeish's contract entitled them to £5.4 million if he left before June 30 (and £3 million after).

"If he came to me and said 'Pete you know we had a great relationship, but Villa want me' I would say I would grant you permission if you give me £5.4 million by the end of this month or Villa does, I don't care who pays me,'' argued Pannu.

"I would grant that if he pays me the money. If he says Peter I want to go for free of course I wouldn't grant it, you have taken me down with the relegation, now take me back up".

Pannu's frustration is understandable. McLeish walked while Birmingham were busily spending money on four players chosen by the manager.

He will be even angrier if McLeish returns for Ben Foster, an England keeper too good for the Championship.

McLeish was briefly linked with the Fulham vacancy, partly because he has recently bought a property nearby, although this is actually for him and his wife to have a base when visiting London for shows or shopping.

The man who has moved into the Cottage, Jol, has spoken of the pressures of his profession but the rewards are obvious. Jol himself owns a decent art collection.

Even for the popular Jol, whom Spurs fans always claimed looked like Tony Soprano, nobody is opening the violin cases.

Sympathy is inevitably limited for those paid so handsomely. True figures of managers' salaries can be hard to establish fully so it was illuminating when a piqued Birmingham released details about McLeish.

"His contract is halved, it goes down by 50 per cent to about £800,000 circa in the Championship,'' said Pannu.

Even those of us with the most rudimentary maths do not require a calculator to realize McLeish was on £1.6 million a year in the Premier League. Pannu believes McLeish "is likely to be on £2 million a year at Villa". Probably more.

Whether in wages or compensation, good managers are worth it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8598513/Andre-Villas-Boas-and-Co-may-be-paid-handsomely-but-you-cant-put-price-on-success.html

WhiteJC

Andrew Johnson: the tumbling enigma

Andrew Johnson first came to our attention in the 2001 League Cup Final at Cardiff.

The Telegraph's report tells the story:

GLORY for Liverpool, sympathy for Birmingham City. This was the first English final decided on penalties and rarely has a climax been so cruel.

Trevor Francis cried tears of despair for Andrew Johnson in Cardiff, sobbing on the shoulder of the young Birmingham City striker whose crucial miss handed Liverpool their first trophy in six years. Afterwards he said they were of the `crocodile' variety, but they were genuine. Of that there was no question.

From the moment Johnson joined this encounter, replacing Dele Adebola at half-time, he terrorised and tormented a Liverpool defence seemingly stunned that a 20-year-old who spends much of his time on the bench of a First Division club should pay them so little respect. He was there to make history in Birmingham's first final in 38 years, and in the 15th minute of extra time he nearly did.

Stephane Henchoz had already conceded the penalty that allowed Birmingham's Darren Purse to equalise in the 90th minute and there seemed little doubt that in bringing down Johnson, the French defender had done it again. Johnson thought so, and so too did Francis, but David Elleray doubtless believed Liverpool's centre-half had taken the ball as well as the man. Even television replays were inconclusive.

Perhaps the Harrow official's own uncertainty prevented him from pointing to the spot for a second time, but the fact that he did not made it all the more painful when it came to Johnson's turn to keep Birmingham in the game. It was 5-4 to Liverpool, Johnson had to score, Sander Westerveld saved and victory was Liverpool's.

So Johnson came on as sub, won a penalty, almost won another, then missed in the penalty shoot-out.  Interviewed after the match, Johnson said:  "I feel as if I have let everyone down. I have to put this business behind me and bounce back. If I'm ever asked to take a penalty again, then you can be sure I will say yes like a shot." One way another, he would always be associated with penalty kicks.

In 2002 Birmingham wanted Crystal Palace's Clinton Morrison, and were prepared to pay £5m for him.  Palace manager Trevor Francis – who had moved from Birmingham so knew that club's players well – wanted either Tommy Mooney or Johnson to be included in the deal. After further negotiation the fee was reduced to £4.5m, with Johnson the chosen makeweight.  After much consideration he agreed to go. After 8 goals in 82 Birmingham games his career needed a kick-start, and this move provided it.

Johnson took a while to get going, having to fight past a partnership of Dele Adebola and Ade Akinbiyi to get his chance, but soon the goals were coming.  Johnson was frighteningly quick in those days, and in a relevant way, too – his slashing runs into the area sometimes looked clumsy, but he had a slipperiness that made it hard for defenders to make clean challenges. (Exact figures are proving hard to come by, but by March 2005, for instance, Palace had been awarded eleven penalties in the Premier League, many of them for fouls on Johnson).

Despite Johnson's goals (he would end with 74 in 140 Palace games, a phenomenal record in a struggling team), Palace hadn't been able to establish themselves in the top division, and relegation made Johnson's departure almost certain.  He stayed for a season in the Championship – a £5.5 million bid from West Ham was rejected in December 2005 – but by May, with Palace not able to gain promotion, bids were accepted from Everton, Bolton and Wigan.

David Moyes got his man:

Everybody knew about Andy and a lot looked at him, and I am not sure what they couldn't see. All I know is what I saw. He is a hard working player, and the people I asked about him all said he was a fantastic player to have around the club. Every time I came across him he did well. I recall playing against him a couple of times towards the end of my career – and I tell him he never got a kick. I was player-manager at Preston and he was in Birmingham's reserves and he was always very quick and had great potential. But it changed for him when he went off to Crystal Palace and showed he could score in the Premier League. Maybe it's hard to see the difference between him and players that the big four clubs spend £10-£15million on. But there are players even further down who are sold for £2million and are no different to Andy at £8.6million. The point is that you need people to come in and hit the ground  running to score goals, and that is what Andy has done. He had a proven track record at his previous clubs and I was happy with that judgement. I do not think that we paid too much for Andy. Clubs like Wigan and Bolton also bid the same amount, £8.6million. If they can offer it as well as us maybe these days it isn't a lot.

Johnson scored 11 times in 32 league games for Everton in 2006/07, but after that began to struggle.  He was attracting a reputation for diving, and at one point missed two penalties in a single match in the in the UEFA cup. He also found himself back on the wing, a position that didn't make the most of his talents.

Roy Hodgson saved Fulham from relegation in 2007/08, and in the off-season started to rebuild his side.  He brought in Bobby Zamora from West Ham, and eventually managed to secure Johnson to partner him.

"I have made no secret of my wish to add Andy Johnson to my squad at Fulham. I believe that he has all the qualities needed to assist us in next season's campaign and I am more than delighted that we have secured his services for the long term. There has been a lot of speculation regarding this transfer during the last week, very little of which has had any foundation. I am just happy to be able to focus on the positive news that Andy Johnson is now a Fulham player, one who we have great hopes for, and I am grateful to the chairman, the board of directors and the chief executive for working tirelessly to make this possible."

The concerns were medical (rumours abounded that Johnson had failed one) and, for fans, the fee (rumoured to be over £11,000,0000).  Nevertheless, Johnson was Fulham's first 'name' signing for some time, and expectations were fairly high.

Did he deliver? Seven goals in 31 games might be seen as par, given that the team played fairly defensively and rarely committed players to attack when away from home.  Johnson sometimes looked frustrated running those channels, a thankless task that earned him no personal glory but which pulled defenders around and wore them down. The Fulham crowd warmed to him, respecting his efforts and all-action style. But Johnson had all kinds of bother in 2009-10, injured in a Europa League game at the Cottage (the famous 'banjoed' incident) and unable to contribute much to Fulham's most celebrated season.  He saw some time in 2010-11, but only contributed three goals in 24 games (in a much more adventurous side).

Is there anything left? Studies in baseball show that players start losing their speed in their early twenties, and by about age 24 the rate at which they accomplish speed-type things (stolen bases and triples, especially) really starts to diminish. Luckily for baseball players, while their speed is declining they're learning other elements of the game and until 27/28 or so they become better overall players each season they play. Baseball is not football and we should be wary of making comparisons that suggest it is, but equally it seems reasonable to me that speed in football might follow the same lines. Athletes are athletes, after all.  For a player like Johnson, whose game was built on that overwhelming pace, what happens when the speed leaves?

Things change, that's for sure.  The Guardian's Jonathan Wilson wrote of Michael Owen:

There are two things at which he excels (or at least excelled): sitting on the shoulder of defenders and timing runs on to through balls, and getting across his marker at the near post to meet crosses. His diminishing pace has affected his ability to do the former, but he remains excellent at the latter

Wilson could be describing Johnson, too. He identifies other reasons why Owen, and players like him struggle now:

Better defences: poacher type players thrive when defences make mistakes. Defences make fewer mistakes these days.  I don't know if this applies or not.  Probably not for the sort of teams Johnson is playing against (Wilson refers to European competition a lot in the article).

Deeper defences: defences rarely use a very high off-side line nowadays so it's harder to slip fast forwards through for one-on-ones.  I suspect this is true, but perhaps not in the way Wilson means.  Fulham have had a very strong home record in Johnson's time, and this has seen opposing defences pushed back fairly deep. There's no room behind them for Johnson to run into.  Away from home, when we might have expected this to be different, the team simply hasn't attacked well enough, unless we ignore the run at the end of the 2008/09 season in which Johnson and Nevland (who was outstanding on the breakaway) led the team to a few nifty away wins.  So I don't know. I can remember a handful of Nevland breakaways, Diomansy Kamara was good at this, and even Clint Dempsey has scored a couple of times like this.  Why hasn't Johnson?

Universality: Wilson speaks of the modern need for multi-dimensional players. This means going outside the old 4-4-2, notably with the current fashion for battering ram centre-forwards who can also play a bit (Zamora would fit this ideal).

With such a player leading the line a coach doesn't need to use two players in his forward line, and can instead deploy a player further back or on the flanks.  This is something we're familiar with at Fulham: while Johnson was injured Roy Hodgson tried Zoltan Gera in a hybrid role, at once playing off Zamora and plugging a gap in midfield. Gera's success in that competition was a surprise to all of us, but it's fair to say that had Johnson not been injured Fulham would have persevered with a 4-4-2, and probably not achieved nearly as much.

All of which paints a somewhat troubling picture. Added to this, Johnson's goals-per-game ratio has been declining for some time:

This crudely mixes teams and divisions, but is at least worthy of the odd raised eyebrow.  Johnson's goals are not coming nearly as often as they used to.  There were a lot of them, but there aren't any more.

So what now?  Johnson lacks the touch and guile to drop into a Dalglish/Beardsley type role. He lacks the pace to play his old role.  He perhaps has the instincts to operate as a poacher, but as we have noted, teams don't use these nearly as much as they used to.  It's been a fascinating career, going from a throw-in in a deal for Clinton Morrison to an England international in the blink of an eye, so Johnson has nothing to be ashamed of at all.  But the suspicion must remain that his particular skill-set is hard to place in Fulham's 2011/12 side, a team that will feature the awesome Zamora and that will try to crowd the likes of Dempsey, Dembele, Duff and whoever else Martin Jol comes up with into the team.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/andrew-johnson-the-tumbling-enigma/?

WhiteJC

What next for AJ?
by DAN on JUNE 26, 2011

Rich has written a fascinating analysis of Andy Johnson's career over at CCN. The common consensus seems to be that he's surplus to requirements at Fulham, especially if Martin Jol brings in a new striker or two, as we expect.

Plenty of clubs have been circling to take the England international off our hands. QPR have been linked previously and we reported Leicester City's interest only this morning. There's a school of thought that Johnson hasn't scored enough goals during his time at the Cottage, but mere statistics only tell part of the story. They don't describe just how devastating his partnership with Bobby Zamora was. Johnson's first season at the club – the one where Bobby didn't really fire – saw them frighten a whole host of Premier League defences. With Zamora looking a lot sharper as we entered Europe, who knows what might have happened had he not been banjoed, to use Roy Hodgson's memorable phrase, by a cynical Amkar Perm defender.

After his injury struggles last season, plenty were quick to forecast that we wouldn't see AJ in a Fulham shirt again. He came back sharp and hungry – and scored some important goals. The equaliser at Wigan might have been a little fortunate, but it was vital. Equally crucial was his instant impact at Wolves. We can't forget another point-saver at Aston Villa either. Johnson might not have the searing pace that saw him light up the Premier League with Crystal Palace, but his movement and work rate will always trouble defenders and create chances. He's not a bad poacher, either, as those goals prove.

He might not be Jol's first choice to partner Zamora, but by virtue of how brilliantly the pair have gelled, he surely deserves another chance. Tossing him aside would seem like a real waste.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/what-next-for-aj/?

WhiteJC

The Realities Of A Coaching Change

The Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle ran a little snippet last week that quoted Martin Jol saying he was seeking a 'solution' to the futures of the remaining members of Mark Hughes' backroom staff. Or, in other words, giving them the sack.

The new Fulham boss made it plain today that the club were looking for a 'solution' to resolve the futures of Mark Bowen, Glyn Hodges, Kevin Hitchcock and Eddie Neidzwiecki, who are still contracted to Craven Cottage.

Dutchman Jol said: "There is a few people left and [chief executive] Alistair Mackintosh is dealing with them.

"Hopefully there will be a solution in the next couple of weeks."

Further rumors have been prevalent, to say the least, that Jol plans on giving the squad a makeover. Out with the old, in with the new. High-ho, high-ho, it's off to the Dutch style we go. Exciting stuff.

He said: "It's a difficult question about turning around the style, because it's an older team with their own style.

"We can't change that overnight. But in the next couple of months - or even years - I will be trying.

"[Previous manager] Roy [Hodgson] wanted to change, Mark [Hughes] wanted it. And if you have, say, someone like Aaron Lennon at Fulham - you have a different team."

Also very sad stuff.

The ushering in of a new era generally brings about the total dismantling of the previous regime and loss of several jobs along with it. Where one finds opportunity, another tends to lose it.

For players and coaches alike, the transition is rarely seamless.

It is, however, the nature of the business that is sports. Few jobs are permanent, most are short term and rather stressful. All coaches and players know this.

That doesn't make it any less difficult when the ax swings and many a man is back on the unemployment line or desperately searching for a new club to bring them on.

A very high-profile coaching search was conducted in my hometown of Pittsburgh last winter after the University of Pittsburgh's head (American) football coach Dave Wannstedt was forced to resign.

The search ended up a big mess. Mike Haywood was hired to become the new head coach, but was fired a matter of weeks later after being arrested for domestic abuse. The search resumed and a new man, Todd Graham, was chosen.

In between all of this, for over a month, Wannstedt's support staff was in limbo. Some had been offered jobs and jumped at the opportunity, some hadn't and were just waiting for the new head coach to come in and clean house. I imagine Bowen and company are in a similarly precarious position.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter Paul Zeise gave the situation some perspective at the time after fans had complained about a couple of the university's coaches taking other jobs before the team played their final game of the season.

By the way, I've had several people e-mail me to criticize both Jeff Hafley and Frank Cignetti for "abandoning" Pitt's players when they need leadership the most. I don't think that is fair -- both had to think about their futures and both were under a lot of pressure to take the job because Schiano is trying to finalize his staff.

Hafley just got married, Cignetti has three kids and one on the way, they both need a job and the reality is neither owes Pitt anything. That's the reality of the business - it is cut throat because the stakes are extremely high. This goes back to what I said at the outset of this all -- all of these things are reporting about and writing about people are talking about involve real people, people with real lives and familes and that is always something to consider.

These are men with real lives, real situations outside of football.

All of this is to convey that, while the transfer season is very exciting and all of these coaching changes bring about interesting results, there's also a sad, human element to it.

It is also a necessary element, of course. Every captain wants to run a ship manned by their own crew. But that doesn't make it any less tragic when a deckhand is made to walk the plank.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/6/26/2241826/the-grim-reality-of-a-coaching-change?

WhiteJC

Arsenal Transfer Prospects: Should Wenger Consider a Move for Mark Schwarzer?

What! A keeper? I am sure that several Arsenal fans think that signing a keeper would be a huge mistake, as it would hamper the rapid development of Wojciech Szczesny, who is widely seen as the future of Arsenal's goalkeeping position for at least the next decade.

Even I echo these sentiments and wrote an article stating why the Gunners should stick with Vito Mannone, Lukasz Fabianski and Wojciech Szczesny and shouldn't splash the cash on a keeper. Even now, I believe in those sentiments, but nevertheless feel the Gunners should go out and sign Mark Schwarzer, Fulham's hugely experienced keeper who was widely linked to the Gunners in the summer of 2010 when Manuel Almunia and Lukasz Fabianski continuously found new ways to embarrass themselves.

In 2010, Arsenal were in desperate need to sign a goalkeeper after Almunia and Fabianski cost the Gunners dearly with a series of blunders that undid all the hard work at the start of the season, leaving the Gunners ruing another missed chance. So in the summer of 2010, many felt it was imperative that Wenger signs an experienced goalkeeper who can provide strength and stability to the team and add leadership to the team.

Many identified Mark Schwarzer as the solution to Arsenal's goalkeeping crisis, and he was heavily linked with a move to the Emirates, but a move failed to materialize and the Gunners were stuck with Almunia and Fabianski for another season.

But this season, Arsenal season was very different with the previous season in regard with the goalkeeping crisis. While Almunia was his usual bumbling self, Szczesny and Fabianski were solid whenever they were goalkeeping, with the latter hardly making a mistake, which was a huge contrast from the 2009-10 season where all he did was make mistakes.

The Polish duo was brilliant, and together, they seemed to have solved the crisis the Gunners had in regards to the goalkeeping position.
But despite the solid performances of the duo, I feel that signing Schwarzer would be a great move in the long run, especially in regards to the careers of Fabianski and Szczesny.

Schwarzer is right now 38 years old, and despite reaching the fag end of his career, he has hardly played for any of the world's top clubs. Right now, despite Arsenal's trophy drought, they are still considered to be one of the world's best, and Schwarzer would be excited at the prospect of playing for Arsenal.

One of the reasons why Arsenal fans have felt that Arsenal shouldn't sign a keeper is because they feel that signing a keeper who is experienced would hinder the development of Szczesny and Fabianski with the prospect of losing the youngster, something Arsenal fans would rather not have.

But despite this signing Schwarzer I feel would not hamper the development of both the players but will only further it. How? At 38, there is no need to play the Australian week in and week out. While he maybe a regular starter for Fulham, he will understand that Arsenal is no Fulham, and if Arsene Wenger plays his cards properly, he can tempt the Australian to sign for the Gunners despite the Gunners not having the lure of more playing time.

The key to doing that would be to offer the right role to Schwarzer. Wenger should look to sign Schwarzer in not just a playing role but in a coaching cum playing role.

The 41-year-old veteran was signed by the Gunners as back up during the 2010-11 season but it was to a short term contract, and his contract with the club has since expired. But despite the imminent departure of Manuel Almunia, the Gunners are in no need to fill the numbers in the goalkeeping department.

But Schwarzer's presence in the dressing room can have a great impact on the progress of both Fabianski and Szczesny.

With 661 games under his belt, he would easily become the team's most experienced player, and his experience will come in handy.

While Szczesny was solid throughout the season, his game is far from perfect, and there are several areas that still need working on. His distribution is poor, something which has affected the team, especially when trying to hold onto a lead. Last season, I noticed that he is often extremely quick to rush from the line, a tactic he used to great effort against Barcelona. But this approach can land you in trouble on certain occasions, and that proved to be the case against Tottenham, as he conceded a penalty with a lunge on Aaron Lennon.

He is currently a raw diamond that requires work to be done, and the interaction with an experienced campaigner like Schwarzer can only reap rich rewards for the player. Szczesny mentioned during last season that working with Lehmann was extremely helpful, and working with Schwarzer will only prove to be better as the Australian is still active.
Even Fabianski, who redeemed himself last season, can learn a lot from the Australian and can look to work on his handling and judgment, something which has proved to be his Achilles heel.

But at the same time it is vital that the Polish duo or at least one of them, whoever proves to be better, gets more playing time when compared to Schwarzer. While learning from the experienced Australian is one thing, it is also vital that they play more regularly and equip themselves better.

But in such a situation, why would Schwarzer want to move to the Emirates stadium? Schwarzer might be tempted to move to Arsenal if Wenger offers him a lucrative deal with the future promise of a coaching role at Arsenal or a player cum coaching role next season itself. Arsene Wenger is a respected man in the footballing community, and Schwarzer would enjoy the prospect of working with one of the top coaches of the past decade.

Also, his experience could come in handy for the club which has been lacking an experienced player in the ranks. At the age of 38, he would command an extremely modest fee, and signing him would hardly affect the capture of any other player who has been linked with the Gunners.

While not signing him wouldn't be a disaster, signing him would be a bold move from Wenger, one that I feel would reap rich rewards.

Both Fabianski and Szczesny are extremely talented players who have bright futures ahead of them at Arsenal, and signing Schwarzer would only help the two of them become better goalkeepers, and if Schwarzer does indeed come to Arsenal then, I think it would be a great move for all clubs involved

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/748244-arsenal-transfer-news-why-arsene-wenger-should-consider-signing-mark-schwarzer?

WhiteJC

Leicester sign South Africa star Masilela and eye Fulham striker Johnson

Leicester City have agreed a loan deal for South Africa international left-back Tsepo Masilela.

The 26-year-old only signed a new two year contract with Maccabi Haifa last week but has been allowed out on loan with view to a permanent deal.

Leicester are also keen on Fulham's Andy Johnson and former Tottenham defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2008436/Leicester-sign-South-Africa-defender-Tsepo-Masilela-eye-Fulhams-Andy-Johnson.html#ixzz1QSM2Gx7o

WhiteJC

Cry Me A River...
by LORK on JUNE 27, 2011

A bit of overseas news, but fairly monumental in football terms.

Imagine United getting relegated. Then imagine United getting relegated in a system totally catered to maintaining the status quo. That is an idea that Argentinian football fans have just seen realised as River Plate, giants in the South American game with 33 league titles to their name, have dropped down to the second division. This is despite relegation being based on an average of points over three seasons and then the two teams in the last two relegation spots playing off against two teams from the lower division. It is an achivement in itself for a big club to do so poorly.

After losing 2-0 in the away leg to Belgrano, River Plate needed a two goal victory (a draw on aggregate would mean the team from the higher division stays there) to stay up which meant at the end of a thrilling 88 minutes, before the game was called off, the score of 1-1 was not enough and the Argentinian giants were relgated. It was a fantastic game of football with River pushing for the win from the first minute, putting alot of pressure on the Belgrano defense, who shut out and blocked attack after attack stoicly, but leaving plenty of space at the back to exploit. After 7 minutes Mariano Pavone controlled, turned and drove a low shot into the net from the edge of the box and it was game on. A furiously fast paced and ill tempered 53 minutes followed, full of the usual South American gamesmanship, all the territorial play coming from the home side without forcing the Belgrano keeper into a good save before the sucker punch on the hour mark, a ball played over the top and the attempted clearance from the River Plate defender was driven straight into his own centre half, the rebound falling gratefully for Guillermo Farre to neatly slot home. From then on River were desperate in their play and secure a golden chance to get back in the match when a push in the box led to a penalty which Pavone pathetically drove right of centre down the goalie's throat. The rest, as they say, is history.

With such a talented squad it is amazing they are in this predicament, Pavone returning from Betis after making a seven million euro move there four years ago, Diego Buonanotte may be a familiar name after being courted by many European clubs before signing for stinking rich Malaga in January (he was asked by his coach to stay for another 6 months to help with the battle against relegation to which Buonanotte agreed, but barely made the bench after the manager declared that he moans too much after being substituted) and Eric Lamela who is a very highly rated 19 year old. River Plate are in 12 million pounds of debt and there are accusations of corruption and being involved with criminal gangs. Even still, for a club of this size it is still a massive shock in the world of football.

To the supporters of River Plate (and other South American clubs) football means the world to them and with a history of violence (fans broke into the hotel before the game infact and tried to reach the players and staff but were stopped by security before they could) it isn't a suprise to see River supporters rioting. The ref stopped the game 88 minutes in and declared the result 1-1 after fans started breaking apart seats to throw them onto the pitch and climbing over the barbed wired fences. The authorities had prepared for this with two thousand police officers taking part in the operation, spraying supporters with water and using gas on some sections of the crowd. Eventually both teams left the field escorted by security. It's sad to see that the trouble has continued after the game with reports of the death of a police officer, the setting alite of cars and fans smashing up the club museum. Moreover, the system which means that it is very hard to get relegated also means it is just as difficult to stay up beyond a season. With the debts, total incompetancy of the directors and no doubt a massive exhodus of players as teams from Europe and South America pick up the gems of this underperforming team it may be a few years before River Plate is established once again in Argentinian football.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/cry-me-a-river/?

WhiteJC

Jol: Contracts don't matter

New Fulham boss Martin Jol admits that a manager's contract means very little after agreeing a two-year deal at the club.

The former Ajax coach believes performance not length of contract determines how long a manager stays at a club because of the unpredictable nature of the game.

The Dutchman replaced Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage, however, he could have joined last season had the parties not failed to come to an agreement and Hughes was subsequently hired.

He said: "I'm ambitious, but not over-ambitious. If I had asked for a three-year contract here, they would have given it.

"I signed two years with an option for another year, but it doesn't really mean anything. They can get rid of me after a couple of months if they want.

"When I was at Ajax they offered me a 10-year contract, but I still left after 18 months."

Despite the unsuccessful contract talks last term, Jol was impressed by the Cottagers and this influenced his decision to meet the board again.

"Football is about relationships," he added. "Fulham were good to me last year when I could have joined, and they were good to me again this year.

"I don't know the reasons Mark Hughes left. I thought he would stay here for a couple of years to be honest, because he was doing a good job.

"Instead, I was thinking of other challenges and other clubs. But when the chief executive Alistair Mackintosh called me, I came the next day."

The west London outfit qualified for the Europe League via the Fair Play league and Jol's first game in charge will be against Nes Soknar Itrottarfelag on Thursday.

While Jol would like to see the club progress, he will rather use the Europa League to prepare for the upcoming campaign.

"I will now work to see how we can become better and we will treat the Europa League like it is our pre-season, but it will have a serious touch," said Jol.

"Of course, it would be nice to progress in the tournament."

http://www.football365.co.za/story/0,22162,14287_7006020,00.html?

WhiteJC

Best of the Bosmans - Bargain Basement Players for Fulham, Everton, West Brom, Stoke, Villa, Wigan & QPR

A total of 123 players were released by Premiership clubs earlier this month- and find themselves looking for new jobs, can they reignite their careers or will they fade away and join the dole queue?

Many are ageing stars like Robert Pires and Sol Campbell who could look to retirement, while once top players like Owen Hargreaves and Jonathan Woodgate have injury records to send most clubs running for the hills.

Others like Bolton's Johan Elmander have already been snapped up, with the Swede off to play for Galatasaray in Turkey next season.

However there are plenty or bargains still to be had, and agents will be working overtime to find clubs for their players over the coming weeks.

After all, nothing lights up a chairman's eyes like the words 'free transfer'.

1) John Carew

The big Norwegian was released by Aston Villa following an unsuccessful loan spell at Stoke where he never really got a consistent run of games- but could the Potters re-sign him?

His omission at Villa was inevitable, having fallen out with boss Gerard Houllier in a monumental row last Autumn, having previously clashed at Lyon.

Darren Bent's dream start at Villa meant the club saw no reason to look to renew Carew's contract, but the 31-year-old will feel he still has plenty to offer.

Carew is a quintessential target man, suited to the English game, but needs time on the pitch and after a stop-start season will be searching for first team football.

Suitors: Carew could suit Fulham, as back-up should Bobby Zamora gets injured again, and Stoke may think about giving him a second chance, otherwise look for West Brom, QPR or Swansea to make a move, which he may prefer, as he will get more first team action.

2) Bolo Zenden

Many had forgotten Zenden was still around at the beginning of last season, but the Dutchman reminded everyone he still has plenty to offer with a string of assured performances for Sunderland.

With goals and assists in his armoury it was somewhat of a surprise that the Mackems decided not to renew his contract.

He signed off with a goal in his final Sunderland game bagging the opener in a 3-0 win over relegated West Ham.

Now aged 34 the attacking midfielder will be out to prove a point once again. A former Chelsea and Liverpool player, he has scored 19 goals for various Premiership clubs.

Suitors: Having played for two clubs in the North East, Zenden could seek to complete the set, by joining Newcastle if he wants to stay in the area. An equally likely option would be Wigan, who released Dutch winger Daniel de Ridder, and Zenden would be a straight replacement, with his experience adding vital balance to Roberto Martinez's youthful side.

3) Zoltan Gera

The Hungarian did not have a vintage season last year, almost scuppering Fulham's fair play bid with a final game red card, and looks in need of a fresh start.

An undoubted talent, he was voted Fulham player of the season during their Europa League run under Roy Hodgson.

Aged 32, he will still feel he has two or three years left at the top, with it only being 15 months ago he bagged a crucial double strike against Italian giants Juventus.

The big question may be whether he sees his future in England, in his native Hungary, or elsewhere in Europe.

Suitors: If England is his choice, one club stands out, a return to West Brom, where he played from 2004 to 2008, to be reunited with his former Fulham manager Roy Hodgson. However if Adel Taarabt leaves QPR, Gera would be a cheap replacemen for his position, and the move across west London would not mean too much personal upheaval.

4) Eidur Gudjohnsen

The one-time Barcelona and Chelsea forward certainly has a point to prove to show he can still cut it in the Premiership, after poor loan spells at Stoke and Fulham.

At 32 the Icelander is at a crucial point in his career and cannot afford for another stop-start season.

Joining both sides on deadline day did not help him and he will look to make an early move and get into pre-season training early on.

He has failed to score for a Premiership side since his loan spell at Tottenham in 2010, with 14 fruitless performances last term.

Suitors: Gudjohnsen could be the sort of big name Blackburn's ambitious Indian owners want to get on their books, and one they could realistically sign. Alternatively Everton are a side always in need of goals and David Moyes could be the right manager to get him to knuckle down and re-ignite his career.

5) Diomansy Kamara

The unpredictable Senegalese striker ended last season on loan at Leicester, where he managed two goals, and was released by Fulham.

A one time £6 million signing for the Cottagers, his best run of form was cut back by knee injury, and he never regained his best form.

He will always be revered by Fulham for goals which kept them up against Manchester City in 2008, but now it is time for both to move on.

Kamara may drop down a division for first team football, but if a Premiership club comes calling he will jump at the opportunity, an FA Cup hattrick against Peterborough in January proved he still has ability.

Suitors: Like Gera, being reunited with Hodgson at former club West Brom could be an ideal solution, and he could be a bargain replacement for Odemwingie if he is sold. Sven's ambitious Leicester may also look to sign him up permanently, if he can be persuaded.

6) Giles Barnes

Former Derby county golden boy, Barnes was tipped for the very top, but has faded into obscurity since signing for West Brom and never breaking through.

Making just 22 first team appearances in two years tells its own story, following an equally unsuccessful loan spell at Fulham where he failed to play a game.

The common factor in his release from both those clubs was Roy Hodgson, so former England youth international Barnes is back to square one in his career.

The attacking midfielder is only 22, and has a chance to make a name for himself in the game still, but will have to stay injury free and find the right club for him. If he finds form he could be a real diamond, worth millions in the future.

Suitors: Known for their investment in young talent with a high resale value, Wigan will certainly assess what Barnes has to offer. But an offer from West Ham will be appealing to the youngster born in east London, who might find Championship football is exactly what he needs right now.

7) Marcus Hahnemann

Goalkeepers play longer than players in any other position, and the big American is no exception, now 39 years of age.

Making more than 270 appearances for Reading, he moved on to Wolves when the Royals were relegated in 2009.

Under Mick McCarthy he played almost 39 times for the Molineaux club, but did not feature after being dropped following a loss to Blackpool last November.

Hahnemann will be searching for a one-year deal, looking for one standout season before retirement.

Suitors: Having allowed compatriot Brad Friedel to sign for Tottenham, Aston Villa could look for Hahnemann, a year younger, to move across the Midlands, even as a second choice stopper, if as predicted they sign Ben Foster. Bolton could also seek to sign him up as reserve if Al-Habsi is sold, but the American will fight to make himself first choice.

8) Tamir Cohen

Now a free agent, Cohen was released by Bolton despite a headed winner against Arsenal in late April.

Cohen has had a tough few months with the recent death of his father Avi who died in a motorbike accident, and a fresh start may be ideal for him.

He scored six goals for Bolton in almost 50 games, despite struggling with injury, and is a current Israeli international.

Now 27 he should be entering the peak of his career and his versatility means he can play combatively across the midfield, with an eye for a crucial goal.

Suitors: Cohen's style may suit Wolves, and he could be good foil for their latest signing Jamie O'Hara. Sunderland or Stoke will also take a look at the motivated midfielder, with the Mackems searching for a replacement for Jordan Henderson.

9) Benjani

At each club he has played for, Benjani has scored goals. He has not always been prolific, but he has weighed in with vital match-winning strikes.

His standout performance last season inspired Blackburn to a 3-0 victory over Roy Hodgson's Liverpool, scoring twice, and he will be keen to show he has still got what it takes.

His former clubs include Manchester City, Portsmouth and Sunderland, having played in the Premieship since 2006.

Like Diomansy Kamara, he is faced with a choice of a rotation policy at a Premiership club, or more regular football in the Championship, and at 32 is at a crossroads in his career.

Suitors: Benjani would be a good fit at Stoke City, who could use him as a target man, or let him drop deeper, allowing his workrate to provide a foil for Kenwyne Jones. The Zimbabwean would also be a good signing for new boys Swansea, who have talent, but little Premiership experience among their squad.

10) Nigel Reo-Coker

Gunners legend Ian Wright wrote in his newspaper column that Nigel Reo-Coker was 'exactly what Arsenal need' after Aston Villa's 2-1 win at the Emirates in May.

It was somewhat surprising then, that Reo-Coker was allowed to leave on a free transfer, but inconsistent performances over the years have not helped his cause.

One goal from central midfield in 102 games tells its own story and is a poor return which he must improve on wherever he goes.

In 2006 while at West Ham he was linked with a £10 million move to Manchester United, which failed to materialise, and the central midfielder went onto join Villa a year later.

He still has plenty to offer aged 27, and will be searching for a top move, even if Wright's tip for him to sign for Arsenal seems overly ambitious.

Suitors: Born in London should he desire a move back down south, QPR will be looking at him should they wish to add steel to their midfield. Fulham will also have a look, Martin Jol has promised 4-5 new signings, with midfield one of the areas they need to strengthen. If the Midlands is where he wants to stay, then Stoke City will seek to make an offer.

http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/06/27/best-of-the-bosmans-w/?

WhiteJC

Waddock quiet on Fulham's Harris bid

BLUES boss Gary Waddock was keeping tight-lipped this morning about weekend reports that Fulham had a bid turned down for teenage starlet Kadeem Harris.

The News of the World claimed Wanderers rejected a £50,000 bid from the Premier League side for the 18-year-old who signed a professional deal at Adams Park last month.

Waddock refused to confirm or deny the bid but said: "If it is true then it shows the kind of talent we have within our squad and the talent that Kadeem has."

Harris is one of Wycombe's hottest young talents after becoming the youngest player to appear for the club on Boxing Day, 2009 at the age of 16 years and 201 days and the club value him much higher.

He was also awarded the League Two Apprentice of the Year by the Football League last season and new Fulham boss Martin Jol is expected to come back with an improved offer.

http://www.buckinghamshireadvertiser.co.uk/south-buckinghamshire-sport/ba_wycombe_wanderers/2011/06/27/waddock-quiet-on-fulham-s-harris-bid-82398-28948250/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Review back issues now available for Kindle

Those of you with half an eye on the future will be delighted to know that back issues of the Fulham Review are now available on Amazon Kindle. And the price is right – between £2 and £3 for all of them. Bargain!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_2?rh=k%3Athe+fulham+review%2Ci%3Adigital-text&keywords=the+fulham+review&ie=UTF8&qid=1309168893

WhiteJC

Jol accepts Cottage job pressure

Martin Jol has admitted Fulham could sack him within months if results are not going well as he claims contracts 'don't mean anything'.

The Dutch tactician signed a two-year contract with the option of a third year after recently stepping in to replace Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage.

And Jol, who was prevented by his former club Ajax from taking charge of the Cottagers when they made an approach for his services last summer, feels the nature of football these days means contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.

Therefore, the former Tottenham chief feels he could be swiftly out of a job if life in charge of Fulham does not get off to a smooth start.

Jol said: "I'm ambitious, but not over-ambitious. If I had asked for a three-year contract here, they would have given it.

"I signed two years with an option for another year, but it doesn't really mean anything. They can get rid of me after a couple of months if they want.

"When I was at Ajax they offered me a 10-year contract, but I still left after 18 months."

However, Jol is hopeful that the good relationship he has built up with Cottagers officials following their initial talks last summer should stand him in good stead going into his job with the Londoners.

"Football is about relationships," he added. "Fulham were good to me last year when I could have joined, and they were good to me again this year.

"I don't know the reasons Mark Hughes left. I thought he would stay here for a couple of years to be honest, because he was doing a good job.

"Instead, I was thinking of other challenges and other clubs. But when the chief executive Alistair Mackintosh called me, I came the next day."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/jol-accepts-cottage-job-pressure-1231702.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham on alert as Ajax tell striker he can leave

Ajax have told Mounir El Hamdaoui he is free to leave the club - which could be good news for Martin Jol at Fulham.

Following high level discussions at the Amsterdam club, the former Tottenham striker has been informed that the club are willing to listen to offers for him.

El Hamdaoui, a former Dutch footballer of the year, is not thought to be part of Frank De Boer's plans for the new season and Jol is poised to make a bid for the 26-year-old.

Jol signed the Morocco international when he was Tottenham manager and also during his time as Ajax boss, but El Hamdaoui's time in Holland is seemingly over.

talkSPORT revealed earlier this summer how Jol was keen on the forward, who has netted 13 goals in 26 league matches for Ajax.

And now after learning of El Hamdaoui's situation at the club, Jol is now ready to make his move.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8614/5/fulham-alert-ajax-tell-striker-he-can-leave?

WhiteJC

Arsenal and Fulham to visit Stevenage

Boro line up Premier League sides for pre-season friendlies

ARSENAL and Fulham were the main attractions in the list of pre-season friendlies released by Stevenage today (Monday).

The Premier League sides will both send teams to the Lamex Stadium for friendlies this summer with the Fulham XI opening Boro's pre-season home campaign on Sunday, July 17.

Arsene Wenger will send a Gunners XI to the Lamex Stadium on July 23 in Boro's only other home fixture of pre-season.

Boro will spend the rest of their summer schedule on the road taking on Hitchin Town (July 13), Dover Athletic (July 19), Hampton & Richmond (July 26), Carshalton Athletic (July 28), Dagenham & Redbridge (July 30) and Corby Town (August 2).

http://www.thecomet.net:80/stevenage-fc/arsenal_and_fulham_to_visit_stevenage_1_938795?

WhiteJC

Runavik v Fulham tickets

UEFA Europa League Qualifier
Thursday 7th July 2011
Kick-Off 18:45

The Club has received an initial allocation of 300 tickets for this match.

All supporters are advised that travel information must be supplied in order to qualify for match tickets as this is required by the Danish Authorities.

The Club has been advised that there are no facilities for disabled supporters at NSI Runavik. If you have any queries please contact Supporter Relations at [email protected] or call 0843 208 1222.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/RunavikAway.aspx#ixzz1QTf1kLF6

WhiteJC

Fulham in for Hitzlsperger?
by DAN on JUNE 27, 2011

Sky Sports News are reporting that Fulham are amongst a host of Premier League clubs who are interested in signing German midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger.

The 29-year-old midfielder is expected to make a decision on his future this week with Blackburn, Fulham and his former club Aston Villa understood to be in the running. Hitzlsperger activated a clause in his West Ham contract allowing him to leave Upton Park if the club were relegated, having made 13 appearances in an injury-hit spell with the Hammers.

Sky Sports also suggest that Hitzlsperger has offers from the continent on the table as well.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/fulham-in-for-hitzlsperger/?

WhiteJC

Monaco keeper being chased by Fulham and Aston Villa

Aston Villa and Fulham are locked in a battle to sign Monaco keeper Stephane Ruffier.

Ruffier, 24, is rated one of the best young keepers in Europe and is set to leave the French club during the summer.

Aston Villa's new manager Alex Mcleish is desperate to sign a new number one as Brad Friedel has already left the club.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is also reported to be in the hunt for a keeper and has also been linked with Espanyol's Carlos Kameni.

The two clubs are now set for a summer bidding war as they look to clinch the signing of the French international.

Ruffier was made captain of Monaco last season and is keen to show he can compete at the highest level.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8615/7/monaco-keeper-being-chased-fulham-and-aston-villa?

WhiteJC

Pre-Season Fixtures

A Fulham XI will face AFC Wimbledon and Stevenage FC in pre-season friendlies.

Fixture details:

AFC Wimbledon v Fulham XI
Date: Saturday 9 July 2011
Kick Off: 15.00
Venue: Kingsmeadow, Jack Goodchild Way, 422a Kingston Road, KT1 3PB

Ticket Prices (Seating):

£12 Adults,
£7 Over 65s
£4 Under 16s

Ticket Prices (Terrace):
£10 Adults
£5 Over 65s
£2 Under 16s

Stevenage v Fulham XI
Date: Sunday 17 July 2011
Kick Off: 15.00
Venue: Stevenage Stadium, Broadhall Way, SG2 8RH

Ticket Prices (Seating):
£15 Adults
£12 Concessions and U18s
£8 U11s

Ticket Prices (Terraces):
£12 Adults
£10 Concessions and U18s
Free for U11s

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/Pre-SeasonFixtures.aspx#ixzz1QUmDv3He

WhiteJC

Tormented?
I should be excited but for some strange reason I`m not!

I normally long for the start of the football season and with Fulham getting back into the swing of things this Thursday I thought I`d be like a kid who knows Christmas Day is coming.

But something doesn`t feel right!

It doesn`t seem, and in all honesty it`s not, more than ten minutes since our last fixture against Arsenal.

Now I don`t know about you but I usually use the summer to replenish my funds, cash reserves that seem to turn red about March time as following Fulham empties by account pretty quickly.

I have a dilemma

I`ve only just got back onto an even keel, my bank account is just in credit but I`m adult enough to know rising commodity prices will soon erode that.

Do I bite my lip and enjoy the good times whilst they`re there and spend my ill-gotten gains for a fixture against a side from the Faroe Islands, knowing that it`s not the ticket price that will bankrupt me but all those accessories associated with a trip to Craven Cottage that will have the bank on the phone come February next season?

Or do I, as I suspect many others will do, not bother to attend and just add fuel to the fire for all those critics to pour scorn on us being in these Europa League qualification stages?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=245485#ixzz1QUmWhzWn

WhiteJC

Fulham facing battle with Celtic to sign Bournemouth starlet

Celtic are ready to battle Fulham for coveted Bournemouth rookie Danny Ings.

The west London club have already had a bid turned down by the Cherries, who are keen to hang onto the 19-year-old after an impressive debut season in the first team.

But now SPL giants Celtic have joined the pursuit and are understood to be considering a bid of their own.

The striker, who is in line for an England call-up for the Under-20 World Cup next month, scored eight goals for Bournemouth as they secured a spot in the League One play-offs last season.

But his performances did not go unnoticed and a move to England's top flight this summer is not out of the question with Liverpool, Newcastle and Sunderland also keepings tabs on his progress.

But now Celtic want the teenager, who is rated at around £1.5million by Bournemouth, as they bid to wrestle the Premier League title back from Rangers this term.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8618/2/fulham-facing-battle-celtic-sign-bournemouth-starlet?