News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - at what age are you too old to go to festivals?

Started by BalDrick, June 27, 2011, 09:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Got to say that I am not a festival goer, being one that likes his creature comforts.

Much more of an individual gig-goer so have done Muse, Foo Fighters, Take That, Meatloaf, Black Keys, Paul Weller, Glee(!) etc. in the past couple of years.

If I had to create a "bucket list" I would probably end up putting Glastonbury on there, just for a laff.

MJG

Now i'm that age (44) and I have not done the festivals ever, yes some large concerts but never done the whole thing. Would I want to, part of me would but I know as soon as it started pissing down I'll be looking for the nearest hotel.

Blingo

Blingo is a sheets and pillow cases kind of guy.

Guess that you are too old when you look down, can't see it and don't really care cos the wife'll make you a nice cuppa anyways.

GoldCoastWhite

Van Halen and Alice Cooper headlining at Soundwave Revolution here in little old Adelaide in October. I would have been there at the grand old age of 49 but i'll be in England watching Fulham spank QP ha instead !

Berserker

I'm middle aged and go to festivals and gigs as I just love live music. I don't thiks it's your actual age but your attitude that counts.  Mind you saying that I wouldn't camp, but then I wouldn't have done even when I was young.  :clap_hands:
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Jimbobob

Quote from: Berserker on June 27, 2011, 05:47:24 PM
I'm middle aged and go to festivals and gigs as I just love live music. I don't thiks it's your actual age but your attitude that counts.  Mind you saying that I wouldn't camp, but then I wouldn't have done even when I was young.  :clap_hands:

:54: :54: :54:
It's all about state of mind. All these rules about who should do this or not do that or you are too young or too old.
Give me a break. Youth is in the body...but it is much more importantly in the mind.....as is being an old soul.
You choose it.
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

alfie

tell you what i am 60 i love music and if i felt like it i would go, there should not be an age restriction, if you love it do it.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HatterDon

I'm 64 and love music. My concerns would be:

1. cost
2. ensuring that I'd be actually able to sit down in the shade periodically
3. cost
4. availability of reasonably priced food and drink
5. cost
6. security
7. cost
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

interesting topic, I think you are too old when you start questioning that you are too old.

personally, I hate crowds and haven't attended a concert since I was in my twenties, seen some live acts but in small venue's, Tears for Fears back in 2005 I think was the last one, and it was at a winery

creature comforts would disuade me now (though I like the Winnebago angle)......and the crowds

aFFCn_Fan

I'm 33 now, have only been to one festival (Reading) in 2002 and felt too old then. It was a lot of teenage kids who seemed like they'd never been allowed to have time away from their parents before. The camp was a nightmare, people throwing fireworks and running about screaming at 4am. I feel old thinking about it. But on the plus side the music was awesome and comedy gold of one kid getting kicked out by security in the early hours for pleasuring himself onto his own tent
@hincharoo

FatFreddysCat

Muddy fields, tents and loads of teenagers. No comfy bed  090.gif

King_Crud

Quote from: aFFCn_Fan on June 27, 2011, 09:51:06 PM
I'm 33 now, have only been to one festival (Reading) in 2002 and felt too old then. It was a lot of teenage kids who seemed like they'd never been allowed to have time away from their parents before. The camp was a nightmare, people throwing fireworks and running about screaming at 4am. I feel old thinking about it. But on the plus side the music was awesome and comedy gold of one kid getting kicked out by security in the early hours for pleasuring himself onto his own tent

wow, we went in 99 and my friends got caught by the cops with tons of drugs. The drugs were confiscated but they didn't get kicked out.

sipwell

Quote from: King_Crud on June 28, 2011, 08:52:03 AM
Quote from: aFFCn_Fan on June 27, 2011, 09:51:06 PM

wow, we went in 99 and my friends got caught by the cops with tons of drugs. The drugs were confiscated but they didn't get kicked out.

If they arrived with tons of drugs, I bet the police immediately got suspicious. They must have stood out  :023:

(I just HAD to reply this. HAD TO)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Lighthouse

The police tried to sell me loads of drugs in 2000 at Reading. Tons of the stuff. I bought half a Veganin, but they wouldn't let me in.   094.gif 092.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

supersub

I'm 57 and it's been a while since I saw a band in a field, but I do feel that one day I should go to Glastonbury (so I'll be at least 59 if I ever make it). We're thinking of getting a camper van one day, so maybe that's the middle-aged way to go.

What puts me off a bit is not knowing who's going to be playing. Wish I'd been there for Springsteen a couple of years ago as he looked genuinely awesome on TV (though that doesn't mean I'm only interested in the "oldies"). But I would not, for example, have been very interested in either Coldplay or Beyonce (is Glastonbury really a place for an act that involves backing DANCERS?!). But I guess the great thing about Glastonbury is there is so much going on that you could probably be pretty well entertained for several days without going near the main stage.

Having said that, I've got some smaller festivals in my sights too - such as the above-mentioned Latitude. And if anyone hasn't tried it, Cropredy was always a good one that we used to go to, and even a little one like Blues on the Farm in West Sussex can be great fun.

BalDrick

'Blues on the Farm in West Sussex'

Just Googled that, looks great - was just over a week ago sadly.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town