more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (01/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 01, 2011, 07:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham win as 2011/12 campaign gets under way

The 2010 UEFA Europa League runners-up Fulham FC started with a win as the 2011/12 campaign began on Thursday with the opening leg of the first qualifying round ties.

Damien Duff (centre) is congratulated on his opening goal by Matthew Briggs and Danny Murphy
©Getty Images

There was a winning start from the 2010 runners-up Fulham FC as the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League got under way on Thursday with the opening leg of the 25 first qualifying round ties.

Precisely 305 days before the final in Bucharest on 9 May next year, Fulham ran out 3-0 home winners over Faroese visitors NSÍ Runavík in what was new coach Martin Jol's first game in charge of the Premier League club. The Londoners' lineup featured eight of the starting XI from their final defeat by Club Atlético de Madrid 13 months ago and one of that number, Irish midfielder Damien Duff, struck the opening goal after 33 minutes. Danny Murphy (penalty) and Andrew Johnson extended their advantage in the second half.

Fulham's two fellow Respect Fair Play entrants had mixed fortunes. BK Häcken needed a 93rd-minute Mattias Östberg equaliser to avoid defeat against UN Käerjéng 97 in Luxembourg, while Aalesunds FK conceded an early goal at home to tournament newcomers Neath FC but recovered to win 4-1. Neath were one of five new names in the competition and only one, Paksi SE of Hungary, tasted victory, prevailing 1-0 at UE Santa Coloma through Gábor Vayer's 15th-minute goal.

Another of the new faces, FC Milsami Orhei, succumbed 2-0 at FC Dinamo Tbilisi. Dinamo were the only team in action with a European trophy to their name – having lifted the 1981 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup – and they prevailed through goals from Nika Kvekveskiri and Irakli Lekvtadze. Ferencvárosi TC, meanwhile, the 1975 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup runners-up and UEFA Champions League group stage participants in 1995/96, enjoyed a comfortable 3-0 win against Ulisses FC in Budapest. György Jozsi, Mark Otten and substitute Felipe were the scorers.

The night's biggest victory came in Belgrade where FK Rad put six unanswered goals past SP Tre Penne of San Marino, who lost their captain Manuel Francesconi to a red card shortly after the restart. Tromso IL recorded the most impressive away result, meanwhile, 5-0 at FC Daugava Daugavpils.

Finally, the honour of scoring the first goal of the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League fell to Igor Voronkov whose 11th-minute strike earned FC Minsk a 1-1 draw at Olimpik-Şüvälan PFK. The second-leg matches will take place on 7 July.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1648245.html?rss=1648245+Fulham+win+as+2010/11+campaign+gets+under+way

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 NSI Runavik 0: match report
Read a full match report of Fulham and NSI Runavik in the Europa League first qualifying round first leg at Craven Cottage on Thursday 30 June 2011.

On target: Fulham striker Andy Johnson scored the London club's third goal in a comfortable victory
Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Fulham took their first step towards further Europa League success with a comfortable victory against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson scored the all-important goals at Craven Cottage as the west Londoners look to repeat their run to the final in 2010.

While a further 22 matches still standing between them and another appearance in the finale, Fulham already seem to have dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

Heading into the tie, recently-appointed former Tottenham manager Jol sprang something of a surprise by naming the strongest possible starting line-up.

The Dutchman had hinted he would blood in youngsters during the early rounds but named a side packed with experience.

Murphy captained Fulham and the likes of Brede Hangeland, Bobby Zamora and Duff were included in the starting line-up.

The home side started strongly and within the opening minute Johnson came close to breaking the deadlock, but Helgi Petersen blocked well after neat build-up play by Murphy and Zamora.

The Cottagers continued to dominate the opening exchanges, although they struggled to get out of second gear and past NSI's backline.

Zamora attempted a neat header on the quarter-hour mark as Fulham looked to break the deadlock, while Johnson's pace continued to threaten the Faroese side's defence.

Duff was unfortunate not to net the game's first goal in the 23rd minute, twisting and turning on the edge of the box before unleashing a right-footed drive that went just wide of the far post.

Despite Fulham's dominance, Justinus Hansen almost gave NSI a shock lead with a thumping effort that caught Mark Schwarzer unawares and bounced just wide.

The long-range drive seemed to spur Jol's side into life and - after some nice play down the left-hand side - Duff thumped home from inside the 18-yard box.

The Republic of Ireland international's 33rd-minute goal did not open the floodgates, although NSI goalkeeper Andras Gango was forced to tip over smartly from a curling free-kick from Zamora on the stroke of half-time.

Fulham returned from the break reinvigorated and the visitors were forced to deal with a barrage of attacks from the offset.

Gango palmed away efforts from Johnson, Hangeland and Zamora shortly after the restart, before the latter and Duff blazed wide.

Despite NSI's resilience, however, the home support did not have to wait long for a second goal after Petersen upended Simon Davies in the box, allowing skipper Murphy to coolly slot home from the penalty spot.

Gango was called into action again moments later, with Johnson forcing the Hungary-born goalkeeper into a fine save.
However, the NSI goalkeeper could do nothing about the Cottagers' third goal as Johnson wriggled free in the box and angled a shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

The 30-year-old saw another effort hit the bar shortly after, before Jol rang the changes in a bid to freshen his side up - handing a debut to former Liverpool man Lauri Dalla Valle.

Murphy attempted a speculative effort in a last bid to get the 14,910 fans on their feet again but Fulham were restricted to a three-goal advantage heading into next week's second leg.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8609864/Fulham-3-NSI-Runavik-0-match-report.html?

WhiteJC

JOL: JOB NOT DONE YET

Fulham manager Martin Jol insisted there was still plenty to do after his side saw off Faroese minnows NSI Runavik 3-0 in the first leg of their Europa League first qualifying round tie on Thursday evening.

Goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson earned the hosts a convincing victory at Craven Cottage to seemingly set them on course for the second qualifying round.

A further 22 matches remain if they want to repeat their 2010 heroics of making the final, but the west Londoners look in a strong position heading into next week's second leg at NSI.

The triumph was also the perfect start to recently-appointed manager Jol's tenure, but the former Tottenham boss was not getting carried away.

"If I say [it is job done], you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score," he said.

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front.

"The second half was better. If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby [Zamora] you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better."

Fulham dominated the game from start to finish and Jol admitted the only disappointing aspect of the evening was that they did not win by five or six goals, especially after naming the strongest possible starting line-up.

He had hinted that he would blood in youngsters during the early rounds but named Danny Murphy as skipper, while also picking the likes of Brede Hangeland, Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff.

Jol may deploy some youngsters for next week's away leg after the 3-0 win, but quashed fears over the detrimental effect of the long journey.

"If we were playing on Sunday, for example, it would be a problem, but we don't have another game for a week," he said.

"We will use a principle of tapering off, so we will meet again on Sunday - maybe Monday."

He added: "Bobby Zamora is fit but, of course, he is not completely fit.

"But I think 80 per cent of the players are not completely fit.

"But to be match fit now it will take a couple more weeks.

"It is possible that we may use some youngsters for the second leg."

Thursday night's game marked the start of an 11-month season for Jol and his troops, which some fear could see them struggle in the Barclays Premier League.

Some have also questioned the logic in starting the competitive season so early, but Jol took a philosophical view of it all.

"Yes [it is early] but on the other hand all the other teams will play their first friendly game soon," he said.

"You have to approach it as a serious game but if you play a friendly game you do that after six or seven days and that's exactly what we did today so I don't think it has a big difference."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/06/30/SOCCER_Fulham_Quotes.html

WhiteJC

Breaking Through

Teenage striker Lauri Dalla Valle was one of the happiest people in London on Thursday evening after making his Fulham debut as a second-half substitute in the UEFA Europa League First Qualifying Round victory over NSI Runavik.

The 19-year-old came off the bench to replace Bobby Zamora after 78 minutes in front of a large crowd for a match in June, and impressed with some purposeful running and positive play.

"I enjoyed it a lot," he beamed. "It was a good crowd and it was nice to get on today. I was hoping for it, of course, before the game, and naturally I'm really happy to have got on.

"I've been training with the First Team since I've been back and I thought I'd been working hard and doing well, so I thought I might have a chance, and it happened, so I'm feeling really positive and happy about it."

The Finnish-born forward has been a Fulham player just under a year having joined the Club as part of the deal that took Paul Konchesky to Liverpool last summer. And after a season of impressive performances in the Development Squad, and the departure of out of contract strikers Diomansy Kamara and Eddie Johnson, 2011/12 could be a big campaign for him.

"I knew it could be a big season for me this year so I made sure I kept myself fit over the summer," he detailed. "And at the moment I'm feeling really good, really sharp, fit and ready for whenever I'm needed."

And Dalla Valle is hoping that the combination of a new Manager with an open mind towards his playing personnel, and the additional fixtures provided by the UEFA Europa League will present him with the opportunities to prove himself as a First Team player.

"The Manager is talking a lot to all the players in training, including the younger ones," he explained. "It gives younger players a lift when he speaks to you and gives you advice, so it's all very positive.

"When I was at Liverpool I played in the Europa League, so I think it's a very good competition. If we progress to the Group Stage, which of course I hope we do, then it gives us the chance of more games throughout the season. That can only give young players like myself even more of a chance to show what we can do."

A clinical and hardworking striker, the youngster could certainly be a valuable asset for Martin Jol's Fulham, and the player himself is determined to work as hard as possible in order to make his mark.

"I've set my target for this season to be involved with the First Team in games as much as possible, to work hard, and improve myself over the whole season," he concluded. "I want to keep moving forward."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/DallaValleDebut.aspx?#ixzz1QpovadA7

WhiteJC

Jol warns against complacency
Fulham boss happy after straightforward European win

Fulham manager Martin Jol does not want his inherited squad to become complacent after their 3-0 win over Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in the first leg of their Europa League first qualifying round tie.

Goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnsonearned the hosts a convincing victory at Craven Cottage to seemingly set them on course for the second qualifying round.

A further 22 matches remain if they want to repeat their 2010 heroics of making the final, but the West Londoners look in a strong position heading into next week's second leg at NSI.

The triumph was also the perfect start to recently-appointed manager Jol's tenure, but the former Tottenham boss was not getting carried away.

"If I say [it is job done], you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score," he said.

Fears

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front.

"The second half was better. If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby [Zamora] you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better."

Fulham dominated the game from start to finish and Jol admitted the only disappointing aspect of the evening was that they did not win by five or six goals, especially after naming the strongest possible starting line-up.

He had hinted that he would blood in youngsters during the early rounds but named Danny Murphy as skipper, while also picking the likes of Brede Hangeland, Bobby Zamora and Damien Duff.

Jol may deploy some youngsters for next week's away leg after the 3-0 win, but quashed fears over the detrimental effect of the long journey.

Principle

"If we were playing on Sunday, for example, it would be a problem, but we don't have another game for a week," he said.

"We will use a principle of tapering off, so we will meet again on Sunday - maybe Monday."

He added: "Bobby Zamora is fit but, of course, he is not completely fit.

"But I think 80 per cent of the players are not completely fit. But to be match fit now it will take a couple more weeks.

"It is possible that we may use some youngsters for the second leg."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7012357,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham move for winger Gradel and defender Ridgewell

Fulham manager Martin Jol wants to add Leeds winger Max Gradel to his Europa League squad.

West Ham are also chasing the 23-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of next season.

Take it to the Max: Gradel scored 18 goals last season for Leeds

Gradel, 23, joined Leeds from Leicester in January for £200,000 but is valued at £2m.

Jol is also ready to rival his former club West Brom for Birmingham defender Liam Ridgewell, 26.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010069/Fulham-Gradel-Ridgewell.html#ixzz1QppgYiN4

WhiteJC

Jol's Runavik Reaction

Speaking after his first game as Fulham Manager, Martin Jol looked back on the UEFA Europa League qualification first leg against NSI Runavik.

Fulham produced a dominant display on Thursday evening to record a comfortable victory over their Faroese opponents.

Despite the visitors putting up stern defensive resistance, the Whites bided their time and eventually the breakthrough came from the boot of Damien Duff just after the half-hour mark.

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front," assessed Jol after the match.

The visitors adopted a defensive 4-5-1 formation and often compressed the space in their defensive third, making it difficult for the Whites to find any openings. However, following the break Fulham were able to find a way through with Andrew Johnson and Bobby Zamora particularly influential.

"The second-half was better," Jol explained. "If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby you have to play down the flanks and the second-half was better."

"Bobby Zamora is fit but, of course, he is not completely fit. But I think 80 per cent of the players are not completely fit. But to be match fit now it will take a couple more weeks. It is possible that we may use some youngsters for the second leg."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/JolRunavikHomeReaction.aspx?#ixzz1Qpq1msjO

WhiteJC

Fulham ease into life under Jol
by DAN on JUNE 30, 2011

As first games go, this was the perfect way for Martin Jol to start life at Fulham. It seemed somewhat odd to be watching football by the Thames before the school year has even finished and it took a while for Fulham to shake blow away the pre-season cobwebs, but goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson secured a comfortable first-leg lead over NSI Runavik.

The Faroe Islanders actually looked a well-organised and compact side. They were defensively sound, designed to restrict their more illustrious hosts and frustrated Jol's attacking ambitions for more than half an hour. Jol surprised everyone by picking what was close to his strongest available side. Mark Schwarzer started in goal, Matthew Briggs replaced Carlos Salcido at left back and Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson were reunited up front. They started at some pace, with Johnson almost breaking the deadlock inside the first minute. A sweeping move which saw Danny Murphy feed Bobby Zamora down the left ankle of the box culminated with Johnson's clever near-post flick, but the visitors' most impressive performer, goalkeeper Andras Gango, and defender Helgi Petersen combined to keep the ball out.

There then followed plenty of pretty passing but little in the way of penetration. Damien Duff, Fulham's most expressive outlet in a rather mundane first period, came the closest as he sauntered across the penalty area, beating two defenders, and shot narrowly wide. NSI responded almost instantly, with an ambitious effort from Justinus Hansen sending a worried Schwarzer scurrying across his goalmouth.

Duff eased any lingering doubts about Fulham's superiority after 33 minutes. Briggs found Zamora on the edge of the box and, although Simon Davies failed to collect his lay-off, the ball fell kindly for Duff, who drove it with his some venom into the far corner. A slight deflection off Johnson left the otherwise excellent Gango with little chance of stopping it. Just to prove that was something of an anomaly the Faroes' goalkeeper made a terrific fingertip stop to turn over Zamora's curling free-kick minutes before the break.

After half-time, Gango was at it again. He managed to claw away a deflected Zamora drive five minutes into the second half and was also equal to efforts from Johnson and Aaron Hughes. Brede Hangeland almost doubled the Fulham lead from a corner as the NSI came under sustained pressure and the Whites did eventually get a second, courtesy of a generous penalty when Petersen was adjudged to have brought down Davies. Murphy duly dispatched the spot-kick, sending Gango the wrong way.

Gango then thwarted Johnson with a terrific reaction save, but could do nothing to prevent Fulham's third. Zamora found Johnson with a nicely threaded pass and the former Everton finished low across Gango and into the far corner. Fulham continued to press forward, with Zamora failing to get the ball out for underneath his feet as he bore down on goal and Lauri Dalla Valle somehow failing to turn Briggs' low centre into an unguarded net. Still, this was a highly satisfactory start.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Schwarzer; Baird, Briggs, Hughes, Hangeland; Etuhu (Sidwell 72), Murphy, Duff, Davies (Riise 68); Zamora (Dalla Valle 78). Subs (not used): Stockdale, Kelly, Senderos, Greening.

GOALS: Duff (31), Murphy (61), Johnson (70).

NSI RUNAVIK (4-5-1): Gango; J. Frederiksberg, Mikkelsen, Petersen, J. Joensen; Hansen, Jacobsen, Lakjuni, Mortensen (M. Olsen 86), Danielsen (A. Frederiksberg 78); K.A. Olsen (Líknargøtu 90). Subs (not used): K. Joensen, Sorensen.

BOOKED: Petersen.

REFEREE: Bernard Brugger (Austria).

ATTENDANCE: 14,190.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/fulham-ease-into-life-under-jol/?

WhiteJC

Dalla Valle on debut
by DAN on JUNE 30, 2011

Lauri Dalla Valle says he was delighted to make his Fulham debut tonight, after coming on as a substitute in the win over NSI Runavik.

With a bit more luck, the former Liverpool striker might have even had a first goal for the club to celebrate as well.

I enjoyed it a lot. It was a good crowd and it was nice to get on today. I was hoping for it, of course, before the game, and naturally I'm really happy to have got on.

I've been training with the First Team since I've been back and I thought I'd been working hard and doing well, so I thought I might have a chance, and it happened, so I'm feeling really positive and happy about it. I knew it could be a big season for me this year so I made sure I kept myself fit over the summer. And at the moment I'm feeling really good, really sharp, fit and ready for whenever I'm needed.

The Manager is talking a lot to all the players in training, including the younger ones. It gives younger players a lift when he speaks to you and gives you advice, so it's all very positive.

When I was at Liverpool I played in the Europa League, so I think it's a very good competition. If we progress to the Group Stage, which of course I hope we do, then it gives us the chance of more games throughout the season. That can only give young players like myself even more of a chance to show what we can do.

I've set my target for this season to be involved with the First Team in games as much as possible, to work hard, and improve myself over the whole season. I want to keep moving forward.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/06/dalla-valle-on-debut/?

WhiteJC

Fulham already serving up soccer before Wimbledon ends

LONDON, June 30 (Reuters) - Fulham kicked off their season with a Europa League qualifier on Thursday at a time of year usually reserved for late drama in the tennis, a leisurely pint in a pub on the banks of the River Thames or a casual stroll on Wimbledon Common.

But the match at Craven Cottage, less than 6 km from where Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova were enjoying a different kind of summer success by reaching the Wimbledon final, left no doubt European club soccer is almost a never-ending year-round affair.

With Pimms and strawberries and cream still being served up among the aces at Wimbledon, Fulham's first qualifying round, first-leg match against NSI Runavik of the Faroe Islands, which they won 3-0, took place at a time when football used to be in summer hibernation.

But now, just six weeks after Porto beat Braga in last season's Europa League final in Dublin, barely a month since Barcelona beat Manchester United in the Champions League final at Wembley, and six weeks before the start of the Premier League season, European club soccer has sneaked back into the schedule.

Fulham's new manager Martin Jol, who only took over last week, had no complaints about his side's first game taking place now, but had one eye on what was going on at Wimbledon.

"I hope to get there in the next couple of days and would love to see Andy Murray win the men's title, but I think he has an almost impossible task," said the Dutchman referring to the Briton's semi-final against top-seeded Spaniard Rafa Nadal.

"I was going to go the other day but it was raining."

Coming back to the task at hand, Jol felt he needed a bigger squad if Fulham were to negotiate their way through 23 matches and win the Europa League final in Bucharest next year.

"At least 20 very good players," he smiled, although he refused to complain about the early start to the campaign.

"Most of the other clubs will be playing their first friendlies in the next few days, so it makes no difference," he said.

TWENTY FANS

Runavik, from the village of Nes on the southern tip of the island of Eysturoy, are fourth in the Faroese first division and about 20 fans from the local population of 3,800 came to see what the club's chairwoman Ragnhild Knudsen described as a "great, fun match for the club".

They gave a good account of themselves too with Runavik's shaven-headed Hungarian goalkeeper Andras Gango their man of the match and, although they will almost certainly be eliminated after next week's second leg, they were not disgraced.

Reflecting trends across the continent, Runavik have a multi-national squad with players from Ghana, Georgia, Cameroon and Hungary, but while they never stopping buzzing around in their yellow and black striped shirts, they rarely stung goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer into action.

In reality it was not much more than a pre-season warm-up for a full-strength Fulham side in front of an impressive crowd of 14,910.

To underline the fact that European club soccer is back — less than a week after the Under-21 championships ended in Denmark—the game was one of 25 being played across Europe by the game's lesser lights such as FC Honka of Finland, Qarabag FK of Azerbaijan and Tre Penne of San Marino.

Fulham, who lost the 2010 Europa League final to Atletico Madrid, qualified for this season's competition as one of three Fair Play winners meaning they began their campaign so early.

Fulham dominated from the start but only took a 1-0 lead into the break thanks to a well-taken 32nd minute curler from Damien Duff.

Gango produced the other real show of quality in the first half with a brilliant tip over the bar to deny Bobby Zamora and in the second half did well to save again from Zamora and Duff.

However, he had no chance with Danny Murphy's penalty on the hour or Andy Johnson's third for Fulham nine minutes later.

The second leg is scheduled for next Thursday in the Faroes with Fulham already looking towards a meeting with Crusaders of Northern Ireland in the second qualifying round next month.

It will still be summer but by then the novelty for the fans, if not their holiday tans, will have already worn off. (Editing by Ken Ferris; To query or comment on this story email [email protected])

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=reu-europafulham

WhiteJC

Jol pulls out of move for former Chelsea frontman

FULHAM boss Martin Jol has decided not to offer a deal to Eidur Gudjohnsen.

The former Chelsea frontman spent the second-half of last season on loan at Craven Cottage from Stoke City, making 10 appearances.

Gudjohnsen was on the verge of making the switch permanent before Mark Hughes quit the club earlier this month, leaving the 32-year-old in limbo.

But new manager Jol insists any move for the Icelandic hitman is now dead in the water.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/06/30/jol-pulls-out-of-move-for-former-chelsea-frontman-82029-28975053/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol ready to give fringe players second leg roles

MARTIN Jol says there is a good chance he will field younger fringe players in the second leg of Fulham's Europa qualifying tie against NSI Runavik now they hold a three goal lead.

The new Fulham boss stopped short of declaring the tie won, but agreed it was 'more likely' he would rest some of his best players in the Faroe Islands next Thursday.

"Tomorrow you tell everybody that I said the job is done. But, it's a good score," Jol said.

"That [playing young players] is a possibility for the second leg. It's more likely, yes.

"That is the only disappointing thing - that you only score three goals, but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired. We started off brightly, then it was difficult to find a spare man up front. I think the second half was better."

Jol again refused to complain about having to begin the season when Wimbledon has not even finished.

"It is early to be playing, but on the other hand, all the other clubs will play in the next couple of days their first friendly games.

"Of course you have to approach it as a serious game....but I don't think there is a big difference."

Jol reserved praise for Damien Duff, who looked lively at times as Fulham attacked in waves.

"I guess he prefers it on the right but I thought he was giving us a dimension on the left as well," Jol said. "Every time he got the ball, he's got that extra quality.

"Years ago I wanted him for my club when I was at Spurs, and he went to Newcastle. I'm happy that he's here now."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/06/30/martin-jol-ready-to-give-fringe-players-second-leg-roles-64767-28975074/?

WhiteJC

Fulham inch towards Europa League glory

In Martin Jol's first match as manager, Fulham took their first step towards further Europa League success with a comfortable victory against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik.

The end result was Fulham 3 NSI Runavik 0.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson scored the goals at Craven Cottage as the west Londoners look to repeat their run to the final in 2010.

While a further 22 matches still stand between them and another appearance in the finale, Fulham already seem to have dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

http://itn.co.uk/sport/22749/Fulham+inch+towards+Europa+League+glory?

WhiteJC

Order Your Retail Catalogue

Sign up now to receive the brand new summer retail catalogue for the 2011/12 season and get your hands on the latest range of Fulham FC retail products. Once registered your catalogue will be sent out.

Please note that all Season Ticket Holders and Members will automatically receive the catalogue with their Fultime magazine.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/RetailCatalogue.aspx?#ixzz1Qpss9naS

WhiteJC

Hungarian stopper on trial at the Cottage

FULHAM are running the rule over Hungarian keeper Csaba Somogyi, Martin Jol has confirmed.

The 26-year-old, who is on the books of Budapest side Rakospalotai EAC, impressed when he went for a trial at Ajax, when the Dutchman was in charge of the Amsterdam club.

But although that came to nothing, Jol wants to take another look as he seeks cover for Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale and the player is on trial at Craven Cottage.

"It was at Ajax he came in and the goalkeeping staff said he was a terrific keeper, but I had four goalkeepers and there was no possibility then," Jol said.

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/06/30/hungarian-stopper-on-trial-at-the-cottage-64767-28975082/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss not interested in Birmingham City defender

MARTIN Jol has denied rumours linking him with a move for Birmingham City defender Liam Ridgewell.

Reports today suggested the Fulham boss was interested in bringing the 26-year-old to Craven Cottage.

West Brom are also believed to be keen on the versatile defender, who is under contract with the Blues until 2013.

But Jol insists he has no intention of making a move for Ridgwell.

When asked if there was any truth in the reports, the Dutchman replied: "No." 

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/06/30/fulham-boss-not-interested-in-birmingham-city-defender-82029-28975072/?#ixzz1QptOrXNP

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 NSI Runavik 0: A cruise for Jol's men after 39-day rest

So, this is where playing fair gets you. Club football in June, four miles from the Wimbledon  tennis championships, on ladies semi-finals day? You cannot be serious.

Well, 'Diddy' David Hamilton seemed serious. 'It's Showtime.' he cried over the PA system and out trotted Fulham, dressed, rather aptly, in all white.

Cool finish: Murphy scores Fulham's second from the penalty spot

Fans at Craven Cottage must have wondered what Johnny Haynes would have made of a home kit without black shorts but the officials at the All England Club would have approved.

Fulham were starting their season 39 days after the last one ended. On May 22, it was Arsenal on the banks of the Thames, in a 2-2 draw notable for Zoltan Gera's sending-off within three minutes of coming on as a late substitute.

The red card proved to be not quite enough for the club to dodge what seemed to be UEFA's end-of-season booby prize, entry into the first qualifying round of the Europa League, via the Fair Play system.

Way to go: Martin Jol enjoyed a comfortable win in his first in game

Manager Mark Hughes, however, found a way to avoid a truncated break by refusing to renew his contract and Martin Jol was appointed in time for Wimbledon and headlines about Summer Jolidays.

'I was going to go to Wimbledon the other day, it was all organised, then it started to rain,' Jol said. 'I love tennis and I would love to see Andy Murray. It would be fantastic to see him win it, but I think it is almost impossible.'

Such defeatism Murray can probably do without. This was the first game back in charge of an English club for Jol. His last came in the same competition when he was Tottenham boss, a surreal tie against Getafe when the White Hart Lane crowd discovered during the first half that their popular Dutch manager was about to be sacked.

Last night, a crowd of more than 14,000 turned up in their shirt-sleeves and shades to bask in the evening sun, although there was a notable groan when four minutes added time was announced at the end.

Those who came along got to share the experience of Jol's first Fulham game, an easy win against NSI Runavik from the Faroe Islands.

Runavik is a shipping town of fewer than 4,000 people. They could have all squeezed in at the Putney End. As it was, only about 30 of them made it to London for what their part-time players were happy to bill the biggest game of their lives.

Jol was satisfied with the result, which equals Fulham's best in European football and enabled him to consider giving the players a couple of days off before they embark on next week's  voyage to the isle of Eysturoy.

He picked his strongest possible team, with Mousa Dembele injured and Clint Dempsey and Carlos Salcido on international duty.

Runavik tired and faded badly towards the end but they managed to keep  Fulham out for half an hour before  Damien Duff lashed in a left-footer on the turn from a pass by Simon Davies.

Picture this: Runavik fans make the most of their trip to the capital

Hungarian goalkeeper Andras Gango warmed to his role as the busiest man on the pitch, tipping over a free-kick from Bobby Zamora before half-time and saving again from the striker after the break.

Andy Johnson ought to have been awarded a penalty when he was tripped but play went on. Nobody disputed it too much and, a few minutes later, they got one anyway. Helgi Petersen hacked down Davies and Danny Murphy sent Gango the wrong way. Johnson added the third with 20 minutes left.

All in all, a decent start for the 2010 Europa League runners-up but this will be a long campaign if it develops as that one did. The final is another 21 games away, in Bucharest on May 9, by which time, minds in this part of London will be turning once again towards strawberries and cream.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010109/Fulham-3-NSI-Runavik-0-A-cruise-Jols-men-39-day-rest.html#ixzz1QptfmAHR

WhiteJC

FULHAM CRUISES TO VICTORY UNDER MARTIN JOL

FULHAM last night cruised to an imposing 3-0 first-leg lead in their Europa League, first qualifying round tie against NSI Runavik, but it took 33 minutes before Damien Duff broke the resistance of the Faroe Islands minnows in this lacklustre affair.

The match started like a pre-season friendly and the Premier League outfit, whose players have only recently returned to training under new manager Martin Jol, took a while to get into gear in front of a crowd of 14,910 at Craven Cottage.

Eventually Simon Davies and Bobby Zamora combined to set up Duff, whose low, deflected drive found the target.

Danny Murphy then slotted home a 60th-minute penalty, before Andrew Johnson scored a third for the hosts 10 minutes later.

http://www.express.co.uk/football/view/256117/Fulham-cruises-to-victory-under-Martin-Jol?

WhiteJC

FULHAM 3 NSI RUNAVIK 0: FUL SPEED AHEAD FOR MARTIN JOL'S BOYS

FULHAM 3 -- NSI RUNAVIK 0

MARTIN JOL has had car problems recently but his Fulham side ended the night in cruise control as they set out on the road to the Europa League final.

New Cottagers boss Jol's start to the new season was disrupted when he had his car towed away last week.

And dogged part-timers NSI Runavik threatened to put another spanner in the works as Fulham stalled during the first-half of last night's Europa League first-round qualifier.

But Jol's men stepped on the gas after the break in his first game in charge.

And next week's second leg should be a formality after goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson gave them a 3-0 lead to take to the Faroe Islands.

Fulham – 2010 Europa League finalists – booked their spot in this season's competition via the Fair Play League.

But their 'reward' was a return to competitive action just 39 days after their final game of last season.

Starting the new season while their Premier League rivals still had their feet up and Wimbledon was still going on a few miles away seemed more like punishment for their good behaviour than a prize.

But Jol is well up for trying to repeat the heroics of Roy Hodgson's side two seasons ago with another European adventure.

The Fulham chief named his strongest possible side and the message seemed to be, 'Let's get this tie wrapped up tonight.'

But that proved to be easier said than done against an NSI side who defended in numbers and were determined not to be embarrassed.

Fulham spent most of the first half-hour camped in NSI territory but failed to really test keeper Andras Gango.

And it was NSI who almost struck first after a rare forward raid.

Justinus Hansen almost gave NSI's 30-strong travelling band of fans something to remember when he let fly from 25 yards, only to see his speculative volley dip just wide.

Instead it was Fulham celebrating first when Duff found the bottom corner from 18 yards in the 32nd minute after being teed up by Simon Davies.

Bobby Zamora was then denied twice either side of the break by Gango.

But NSI's overworked keeper was beaten for a second time on the hour when Murphy scored from the spot after Davies was tripped in the box.

And Johnson wrapped up the win when he lashed home Fulham's third 10 minutes later after linking up with fellow striker Zamora

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/198758/Fulham-3-NSI-Runavik-0-Ful-speed-ahead-for-Martin-Jol-s-boys/?

WhiteJC

Europa League: Fulham 3 - 0 NSI Runavik - Damien Duff goal sparks Fulham win in Europa League opener

FULHAM took their first step towards further Europa League success with a comfortable victory against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.
Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson netted the all-important goals at Craven Cottage last night as the west Londoners look to repeat their run to the final in 2010.

While a further 22 matches still stand between them and another appearancADVERTISEMENT

e in the finale, Fulham already seem to have dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

Duff was unfortunate not to net the game's first goal in the 23rd minute, twisting and turning on the edge of the box before unleashing a right-footed drive that went just wide.

Justinus Hansen almost gave NSI a shock lead with a thumping effort that caught Mark Schwarzer unawares and bounced just wide. That seemed to spur Jol's side into life and Duff thumped home from inside the 18-yard box in the 33rd minute. After the break, Petersen upended Simon Davies in the box, allowing skipper Murphy to slot home from the penalty spot. And Johnson wriggled free in the box and angled a shot into the bottom corner for the third.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Hughes, Briggs, Davies, Murphy, Etuhu, Duff, Andrew Johnson, Zamora. Subs: Stockdale, Kelly, Sidwell, Senderos, Riise, Dalla Valle, Greening.

NSI Runavik: Gango, Jens Joensen, Mortensen, Justinus Hansen, Klaemint Olsen, Helgi Lamhauge Petersen, Lakjuni, Mikkelsen, Frederiksberg, Debes Danielsen, Christian Hogni Jacobsen. Subs: Kristian Joensen, Magnus Olsen, Liknargotu, Sorensen, Fredriksberg.

Referee: B Brugger. Attendance: 14,910

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Damien-Duff-goal-sparks-Fulham.6794083.jp?