https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (01/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 01, 2011, 07:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham 3 - 0 NSI Runavik

Was there any doubt?

Well, maybe for a moment when the score was still level and Janus Hansen caught a glimpse of goal from afar and tried his luck. A bit wide, much to Mark Schwarzer's delight.

But that was that and Martin Jol's life at Fulham got off to a pleasant start with a 3-0 victory in the first leg of Fulham's Europa League qualifying round tie with NSI Runavik.

Damien Duff opened the scoring for Fulham in the 33rd when he slotted home from the edge of the box, finally cracking the defensive shield that NSI had desperately held onto since the start of the match.

Danny Murphy doubled the lead from the spot in the 61st after Simon Davies was fouled in the box. Andy Johnson's sliding finish gave Fulham a third shortly after.

Shots were, predictably, 21-4 in Fulham's favor and the Londoners held an even more daunting edge in corners at 14-1. Possession numbers, which I don't have handy, will be similarly tilted.

The match not only served as an introduction for Jol, but, in the 78th minute, Lauri Dalla Valle made his senior debut as well, coming on for Bobby Zamora.

Kristian was at the match and should be able to shed more light than I can from recollecting Twitter updates and goving over match reports from my office.

Still, not a bad way to start a season or, if you happened to be at the Craven Cottage, spend a summer's evening.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/1/2253351/fulham-3-0-nsi-runavik?

WhiteJC

Jol opens with comfortable Europa win
Fulham 3 NSI Runavik 0

The new Fulham manager Martin Jol greets the home fans before last night's match

Fulham took the first step on a lengthy Europa League road with a comfortable 3-0 victory against the Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.

Fulham took the first step on a lengthy Europa League road with a comfortable 3-0 victory against the Faroese minnows NSIRunavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson scored the goals at Craven Cottage as the west Londoners sought to repeat their run to the final in 2010. While a further 22 matches still stand between them and another potential appearance in the final, Fulham already seem to have dispatched NSI after a clinical, effective display in the first leg of their first qualifying-round tie.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/jol-opens-with-comfortable-europa-win-2305268.html?

WhiteJC

Duff hits first goal of season... and it was still only June

IT'S the beginning of a season that Damien Duff hopes will end at the European Championships in Poland and Ukraine, and last night , on the final day of June, the Fulham midfielder gave himself a good start with the first goal of the season for an English club.

Duff will certainly face tougher opponents than NSA Runavik over the course of the season, but last night's 3-0 victory against the Faroe Islands minnows at Craven Cottage can't harm the winger's confidence.

The Dubliner was part of the Fulham team which made it all the way to the Europa League final in 2010 before losing to Atletico Madrid and if he is to make it that far again, he will still be in action for the Londoners in 314 days' time.

Duff's last goal in the month of June was followed by his famous celebration in Ireland's 3-0 win against Saudi Arabia in the 2002 World Cup.

Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duff-hits-first-goal-of-season-and-it-was-still-only-june-2810933.html?

WhiteJC

JOL: WE COULD HAVE WON BY MORE

Fulham manager Martin Jol was disappointed not to net more than three goals in Thursday night's Europa League qualifier against Faroese team NSI Runavik.

The west Londoners' passage to the Europa League second qualifying round seems virtually secure after Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson scored in a comfortable 3-0 win at Craven Cottage.

However, wayward finishing and a superb performance from NSI goalkeeper Andras Gango prevented the home side ending with a scoreline that would have better reflected their dominance.

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front," said Jol.

"The second half was better.

"If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby [Zamora] you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better.

"The only disappointing thing that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired.

"We have had a good week and trained hard.

"If I say [it is job done], you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score."

Fulham will have to play a further 22 matches if they are to repeat their 2010 heroics, when they upset the odds to secure a place in the final against Atletico Madrid.

Tonight's game against NSI marked the start of an 11-month season for Jol and his troops, which some fear could see them struggle in the Barclays Premier League.

Some have also questioned the logic in starting the competitive season so early but Jol took a philosophical view of it all.

"Yes [it is early] but on the other hand all the other teams will play their first friendly game soon," he said.

"You have to approach it as a serious game but if you play a friendly game you do that after six or seven days and that's exactly what we did [last night] so I don't think it has a big difference."

He added: "[Extra games] could be a problem but if you have 20 or more players I think you can cope with it."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/01/SOCCER_Fulham_Jol.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

Fulham Manager Martin Jol Anticipating Quiet Summer in Transfer Market

Martin Jol said he would treat his Fulham players to "a little holiday" after their 3-0 Europa League first qualifying first leg victory over NSI Runavik. Which was fitting, considering the time of year, because that is exactly what his players should have been doing rather than playing competitive football.

Jol himself might have been expected to be formulating transfer targets for his team, which, if they take the Europa League seriously, could be in for a season in excess of 60 games – even without taking into account domestic cup runs.

But he looks likely to be able to put his feet up as well this week, giving him an opportunity to indulge in his other sporting passion, tennis, after revealing there will be precious little movement of players into the club.

His predecessor Mark Hughes was interested in signing Eidur Gudjohnsen, who spent the second half of last term on loan at Craven Cottage, but when Jol was asked whether that was now dead in the water, he simply folded his arms and nodded.

Similarly when Birmingham's Liam Ridgewell was mentioned, as he has been linked with a move to the west London club, Jol merely smiled and said: "No."

So are there any players coming to Craven Cottage? In short, it seems not, because Jol is happy with who is already there.

His two strikers on Thursday night Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora looked sharp and could have had at least a couple of goals each against the Faroe Islands outfit of NSI Runavik if it wasn't for the form of keeper Andras Gango. And afterwards Jol was effusive about that pair, as well as Mousa Dembele, the Belgian forward who is currently nursing an ankle injury.

When asked whether there was any transfer news in the offing to make fans happy, Jol said: "I think we will make them happy anyway. We have a good squad here. Andy and Bobby were good tonight, they are both terrific players. And you cannot forget Mousa. He is a very good player, a good talent. I am happy I can pick two players from them."

He is right: Hughes did leave him with a decent squad, especially when Clint Dempsey ("he was last season's most productive player," said Jol) and Mexican left-back Carlos Salcido return from international duty.

So it seems that it will be quiet at Fulham this summer, to match the suburban surroundings of their Motspur Park training ground. The only man who Jol would say may make an arrival at Craven Cottage is Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi, who the manager already knew about while at Ajax.

Jol said: "He came in when I was at Ajax and the goalkeeping staff said he was terrific, but I had four keepers. But I thought he is worth a look here."

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/07/01/fulham-manager-martin-jol-anticipating-quiet-summer-in-transfer/?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol rues wayward Fulham finishing despite win

Fulham manager Martin Jol was disappointed not to net more than three goals in last night's Europa League qualifier against Faroese team NSI Runavik.

The west Londoners' passage to the Europa League second qualifying round seems virtually secure after Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson scored in a comfortable 3-0 win at Craven Cottage.

However, wayward finishing and a superb performance from NSI goalkeeper Andras Gango prevented the home side ending with a scoreline that would have better reflected their dominance.

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front," said Jol.

"The second half was better. If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby [Zamora] you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better.

"The only disappointing thing was that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired. We have had a good week and trained hard.

"If I say [it is job done], you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score."

Fulham will have to play a further 22 matches if they are to repeat their 2010 heroics, when they upset the odds to secure a place in the final against Atletico Madrid.

Tonight's game against NSI marked the start of an 11-month season for Jol and his troops, which some fear could see them struggle in the Barclays Premier League.

Some have also questioned the logic in starting the competitive season so early but Jol took a philosophical view of it all.

"Yes [it is early] but on the other hand all the other teams will play their first friendly game soon," he said.

"You have to approach it as a serious game but if you play a friendly game you do that after six or seven days and that's exactly what we did [last night] so I don't think it has a big difference."

He added: "[Extra games] could be a problem but if you have 20 or more players I think you can cope with it."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23966276-martin-jol-rues-wayward-fulham-finishing-despite-win.do?

WhiteJC

One down, 22 to go for new Fulham boss Jol

FULHAM took their first step towards further Europa League success with a comfortable victory against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in Martin Jol's first match at the helm.

Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson netted the all-important goals at Craven Cottage as the west Londoners look to repeat their run to the final in 2010.

While a further 22 matches still stand between them and another appearance in the finale, Fulham already seem to have dispatched NSI with a clinical display in the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

Jol hinted he would blood in youngsters during the early rounds but named a side packed with experience.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/amateur-football/2011/07/01/one-down-22-to-go-for-new-fulham-boss-jol-100252-28974946/?#ixzz1QpyJQd00

WhiteJC

Player Departures

Fulham Football Club can confirm that the following players have left the Club, having reached the end of their contracts.

- Zoltan Gera
- Eddie Johnson
- Diomansy Kamara
- John Pantsil
- Matthew Saunders
- Pascal Zuberbuhler

The Club would like to thank the players for their services to the Club, having played their part in some truly historic victories in recent years.  Fulham Football Club wishes each and every player the very best success for the future.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/June/OutofContractPlayers.aspx#ixzz1QpygFurZ

WhiteJC

A summer night by the river... To watch some football

Simon Davies swings in a corner as Fulham get their season off and running
under unseasonly cloudy June skies

Putney can seldom have looked better. Warmed by the early evening sunshine, office workers are heading for the bars down by the Thames. In Bishop's Park joggers and cyclists jostle for space on the riverside path whilst drifting on the breeze is the unmistakable smell of frying onions.

It's the first sign that six and half weeks before the first goal of the Premier League season will be scored, the 2011/12 season is about to kick off at Craven Cottage.

The Cottagers are about to begin their bid to qualify for the Europa League with a clash against the Faroe Islands minnows NSI - so I've headed along to find out what football in England in June is like.

PRE-MATCH
There is a distinct lack of tension at The Cottage. One bookmaker in Putney is quoting Fulham at 100/1 ON to win. After all Runavik have lost 11 of their previous 12 games in Europe.

It's time to meet some of the 50 or so yellow and black clad fans they have brought with them. It turns out that most are friends of relatives of the players and all agree that this is the biggest game in the club's history. I want to know how they all got so tanned on an island stuck half way between the Shetlands and Iceland.

The Fulham line-up is impressively strong - and so are their physiques after only a week of training. Not a beach belly in sight - how do they do that?

FIRST HALF
It's a great crowd with the Hammersmith End completely full - mind you, £10 a ticket with kids for a quid helps. You don't get that in the Premier League.

You don't get Justinus Hansen either, but the Runavik midfielder lashes a 30-yard volley just wide after 25 minutes. It's the best chance of the game so far. Surely Runavik can't ..... can they? No they can't, Damien Duff, 1-0.

HALF-TIME
Fulham's legend on the microphone, David Hamilton, has let me down for once. Not a word on the scores from the other matches in the competition.

Surely I can't be the only person wanting to know how Rad are getting on against Tre Penne? Then there's Banga versus Quarabag and IF v KR. The suspense is killing me.

SECOND HALF
Runavik's Hungarian keeper Andras Gango looks a level above the Faroes Premier League. He makes a great block to deny Andrew Johnson and then spends as much time as he can holding his head after a collision with Bobby Zamora - impressive time-wasting worthy of a higher stage.

An hour gone and it's just beginning to feel a bit, well... pre-season, when Helgi Petersen trips Simon Davies. The ref says no penalty, the linesman puts him right and Danny Murphy puts it in.

Summer or winter, I can still summon up a cliché: the plucky part-timers are running out of steam as Andrew Johnson turns to hit a third with 20 minutes to go. Martin Jol allows himself a smile.

POST-MATCH
It ends 3-0 and everyone seems happy, Fulham are all but assured a place against Crusaders of Northern Ireland in the second qualifying round, Runavik have actually recorded one of their better results away from home in Europe and those of us who have found a month with no football tough have had our fix.

Now I'm off to find out how Honka got on against Kalju.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13987196.stm?

WhiteJC

Jol buoyed by first game at Fulham

Martin Jol commended his side for a "bright start" to their UEFA Europa League campaign as Fulham FC marked their first game under the Dutch manager with a 3-0 win against NSÍ Runavík.

Fulham manager Martin Jol was all smiles after his side's UEFA Europa League qualifying victory against NSÍ Runavík
©Getty Images

Martin Jol commended his side for the "bright start" they made to their UEFA Europa League campaign on his first game in charge of Fulham FC, even if he felt the 3-0 first qualifying round first leg triumph against NSÍ Runavík could have been more emphatic. "The only disappointing thing was that we only scored three goals," said the Dutchman.

Jol could barely disguise his delight when he returned to the Premier League as Fulham coach last month and he was again all smiles after the west Londoners kicked off their European adventure with a comfortable win against the Faroese visitors. Goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson earned the hosts a three-goal first-leg lead and the former Tottenham Hotspur FC and AFC Ajax coach was satisfied with his lot.

"If I say it is 'job done', you will tell everyone I said the job has been done so I will just say that it's a good score," said Jol. "We started off brightly in the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front. The second half was better. If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy Johnson or Bobby Zamora you had to play down the flanks and in the second half was better."

A pleasing victory was mitigated by missed chances that could have led to a more flattering scoreline, but Jol suggested that ring-rustiness had a part to play for a side for whom pre-season training has only just begun. "The only disappointing thing was that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were tired. We had a hard week's training and the players worked very hard. Most of them are not match fit yet."

Jol shared his Craven Cottage debut with Lauri Dalla Valle, the 19-year-old who made his Fulham debut as a 78th-minute substitute and almost marked the occasion with a goal, narrowly failing to connect with a low Matthew Briggs cross. "For his age group he's a good finisher," explained Jol. "He could have scored tonight but it sends a message to the others that even if you're young, if you work hard you can get a game here."

For his part Dalla Valle was enthused by his first run-out for the club he joined from Liverpool FC as part of the deal that took Paul Konchesky to Anfield last August, as this is a competition he holds close to his heart. "The manager is talking a lot to all the players in training, including the younger ones," he said. "It gives younger players a lift when he speaks to you and gives you advice, so it's all very positive.

"When I was at Liverpool I played in the Europa League, so I think it's a very good competition. If we progress to the group stage, which of course I hope we do, then it gives us the chance of more games throughout the season. That can only give young players like myself even more of a chance to show what we can do."

Dalla Valle will be hoping for another chance to shine on 7 July when his side travel to the Faroe Islands for the return leg. The overall winners face Crusaders FC in the second qualifying round, on 14 and 21 July.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=1648393.html?

WhiteJC

Jol puts Albion in driving seat for Blues ace

West Brom could be set to swoop for Birmingham defender Liam Ridgewell, after Fulham boss Martin Jol ruled himself out of the race.

The Cottagers were thought to be ready to scrap it out with Albion chief Roy Hodgson for the highly-rated 26-year-old defender, who is set to depart St Andrew's following the Blues' relegation from the Premier League.

However, when asked if he would be looking to join the Baggies in a battle to take the stopper to Craven Cottage this summer, Jol said: "No."

Therefore Hodgson, who has already snapped up Gareth McAuley and Billy Jones from Ipswich and Preston respectively as he looks to overhaul his leaky defence, could be ready to make an unchallenged bid for Ridgewell.

The former Aston Villa stopper, who has made 138 league appearances for Blues, is under contract to the club until summer 2013. But, having already allowed Craig Gardner to join Sunderland, it is unlikely they will stand in Ridgewell's way if a suitable bid comes in.

http://www.clubcall.com/west-bromwich-albion/jol-puts-albion-in-driving-seat-for-blues-ace-1233219.html?

WhiteJC

Jol denies Blues stopper swoop

Martin Jol's denied that Fulham are interested in Birmingham's Liam Ridgewell, but Hungarian keeper Csaba Somogyi has joined on trial.
The Cottagers boss was thought to be pondering a swoop for 26-year-old Ridgewell, who is set to depart St Andrew's following the Blues relegation from the Premier League at the end of last season.

However, when asked if he would be looking to fight it out with West Brom to take the stopper to Craven Cottage this summer, Jol said: "No."

The Cottagers have made one move in the market to hand 26-year-old custodian Somogyi a trial as Jol looks for quality cover for Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale.

Jol was impressed with Somogyi when he took him on trial from Budapest side Rakospalotai EAC during his time in charge at Ajax and he could now look to take him to England.

"It was at Ajax he came in and the goalkeeping staff said he was a terrific keeper, but I had four goalkeepers and there was no possibility then," he said.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/jol-denies-blues-stopper-swoop-1233193.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol off to winning start at Fulham with Europa League win
Football returned to Craven Cottage early last night as new manager Martin Jol made a winning start to his time at Fulham as his side dispatched NSI Runavik 3-0 in the first leg of their Europa League qualifier.

Jol win: Fulham's Bobby Zamora congratulates team-mate Damien Duff on scoring the opening goal in the Europa League qualifier last night (PA)

Damian Duff netted the opener against the Faroe Islands opposition,followed by goals from Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson.

Jol wasn't entirely satisfied after the match, however,  claiming his team should have scored more goals against the lightweight opposition.

'We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front,' said Jol.

'The second half was better. If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby (Zamora) you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better.

'The only disappointing thing is that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired.

'We have had a good week and trained hard. If I say (it is job done), you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score.'

A lack of goals was attributed to the superb performance of NSI goalkeeper Andras Gango, who prevented the home side running away with proceedings.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/868011-martin-jol-off-to-winning-start-at-fulham-with-europa-league-win#ixzz1QqAwRJJq

Lighthouse

Fulham are eyeing Sheffield United prospect Jordan Slew.

The Daily Mail says the £500,000 Fulham offer discussed so far is a poor reflection of his value.

He has been offered a new contract but has yet to sign it and further talks are expected over the next two days.

Slew wants to talk to Fulham though and that could be ominous in their fight to keep him.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Cresswell set for Ipswich
Championship club win race to sign Tranmere full-back

Skysports.com understands Ipswich Town have won the race to sign Tranmere Rovers full-back Aaron Cresswell.

The 21-year-old is out of contract at Tranmere and has turned down a new deal at Prenton Park in favour of a move to the Championship.

Cresswell made 80 appearances for Rovers after making his debut in 2008 and the League One club will be entitled to compensation.

The likes of Fulham, West Bromwich Albion, Brighton & Hove Albion, Peterborough United and Doncaster Rovers all showed an interest in Cresswell, but he has plumped for a move to Ipswich.

He is set to become Paul Jewell's fourth signing of the summer after the Town boss previously agreed deals for Michael Chopra, Ivar Ingimarsson and Nathan Ellington.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_7012679,00.html?

WhiteJC

Winning Form

Dickson Etuhu was satisfied with the result on Thursday evening after Fulham achieved a 3-0 home win in the UEFA Europa League First Qualifying Round little over a week after returning to training after the summer break.

The midfielder played a starring role in the centre of the park as the Whites' class outshone the potential advantage of superior match fitness held by Faroese side NSI Runavik.

"Games like that are always difficult, because they [Runavik] had nothing to lose," he assessed. "For most of them it was the biggest game of their lives and they made it difficult for us by sitting back.

"But we always knew we would win, that we'd get a few goals. I thought maybe we weren't quite hungry enough to score more – we could have got more - but it was the first game back and we're still trying to find our feet.

"I'm sure that as the games go on we'll get sharper and next week, at their place, we'll get a couple more."

Kicking-off a new season in June is certainly not the norm, but under the charge of Martin Jol for the first time, there was no signs of anything other than total professionalism from a Fulham side that dominated possession from start to finish. And Etuhu explained that there was never any question of taking the game anything other than 100 per cent seriously.

"The gaffer made it clear to us that this wasn't to be treated as a friendly – that it was a game we had to go and win, not one where you take it easy," he stated. "Common sense tells you that anyway, but I thought we went about it the right way. We devised the right game plan in training and it worked out really well."

Indeed, it seems that Jol has already made an impression on his team in his short time at the Club, creating an unmistakable mood of positivity and a feel-good factor at Fulham.

"He's great," exclaimed Dickson. "He's already put confidence in the lads. It's early days yet, so he's not tried to change anything too drastically, he's just getting to know the players at the moment, and the morale around the place is really upbeat.

"These are exciting times for Fulham and it really feels like we're getting to the next level now."

That mood of excitement was also reflected in the stands at Craven Cottage where an impressive crowd in excess of 14,000 turned out to witness what we all hope will turn out to be the first steps on another memorable European adventure.

"Every cup's important – especially this one because we did so well last time," reflected Dickson. "It'll be difficult this time because expectations will be so much higher, and teams will come and play us and take it very seriously, because now they know Fulham, and they know we're good in Europe.

"So it's good to be back involved in it, and it was so good to see so many fans out there getting excited about it again. They gave us the extra energy that we needed."

Not that the team appeared to need much more impetus, looking in great physical shape so soon after the summer break, and Etuhu revealed that the team's coaches have devised a special training programme to be in-tune with restarting competitive football so early.

"The Manager and the Coaching Staff have made sure the training so far has been right for us, because they know it's very early to start playing games," he said.

"But it was good for me to play for 75 minutes tonight, because towards the end of last season I didn't get to play as much, so I needed that run-out for my fitness, like all the lads did after the break.

"But we all enjoyed it."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/EtuhuRunavikReaction.aspx?#ixzz1QqUxvYSx

WhiteJC

Zoltan Gera expected to sign two-year West Bromwich Albion deal

ZOLTAN Gera is edging closer towards a move to West Bromwich Albion.

I understand the Hungarian has verbally agreed to join Albion and, subject to a medical, should sign a deal during the next 48 hours.

Gera flew to Birmingham on Thursday night and is expected to sign a two-year deal, with a 12-month option in the club's favour.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2011/07/01/zoltan-gera-expected-to-sign-two-year-west-bromwich-albion-deal-97319-28976926/?#ixzz1QqqhmAIR

WhiteJC

Fulham should have won by more against NSI Runavik in Europa League qualifier, says manager Martin Jol
Fulham manager Martin Jol was disappointed not to score more than three goals in Thursday night's Europa League qualifier against Faroese team NSI Runavik.

In control: Fulham dominate their Faroese opponents
Photo: ACTION IMAGES

"We started off brightly the first five minutes and then it was difficult to find the spare man up front," said Jol. "The second half was better.

"If there was no possibility to play it up to Andy or Bobby [Zamora] you have to play down the flanks and the second half was better.

"The only disappointing thing that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired.

"We have had a good week and trained hard.

Thursday night's game against NSI marked the start of an 11-month season for Jol and his troops, which some fear could see them struggle in the Premier League.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/fulham/8610582/Fulham-should-have-won-by-more-against-NSI-Runavik-in-Europa-League-qualifier-says-manager-Martin-Jol.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol blames fatigue for lack of goals

Martin Jol blamed tiredness for his side scoring only three goals against Faroe Islands part-timers NSI Runavik at Craven Cottage last night.

It was Jol's first competitive match in charge as goals from Damien Duff, Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson gave his side a win and although they dominated, Jol was disappointed they did not score more.

"The only disappointing thing that we only scored three goals but I will forgive them because they were a bit tired," he said. "We have had a good week and trained hard.

"If I say it is job done, you will tell everyone I said the job was done so I will say it's a good score."

If his side are to make the final, they must play another 22 matches, but Jol is comfortable he has the squad to handle such a large amount of matches.

" Extra games could be a problem but if you have 20 or more players I think you can cope with it," he said.

"Yes it is early but on the other hand all the other teams will play their first friendly game soon.

"You have to approach it as a serious game but if you play a friendly game you do that after six or seven days and that's exactly what we did last night so I don't think it has a big difference."

http://www.london24.com:80/sport/fulham/fulham_boss_jol_blames_fatigue_for_lack_of_goals_1_950121?

WhiteJC

Friday Fives - Bobby Zamora

Fulham and England forward chooses five of the best.

Every Friday there will be a special Friday Fives feature, with a different football ace picking their all-time dream five-a-side team.

So, this week the England and Fulham man makes his choice- can you guess who he will pick?

And if you think your own five-a-side team could go some way to replicating those greats, then make sure you get signed up to The FA Umbro Fives now, the only competition that gives you the chance to be the official five-a-side champions of England at Wembley Stadium.

The competition offers the best teams in the country the chance to play in the national final at Wembley Stadium and follow in the footsteps of some football legends.

So, enter your team in The FA Umbro Fives now by clicking here and you could get your chance to play in the Wembley Stadium Final.

And remember, the next star to feature in Friday Fives will be online on Friday 1 July...

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFAUmbroFives/NewsAndFeatures/2011/Bobby-Zamora-Friday-Fives?