more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03/07/2011)

Started by Mr Fulham, July 03, 2011, 03:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Darren Moore backs Zoltan Gera to shine in second stint at West Brom

ALBION fans will see the best of Zoltan Gera, according to former team-mate Darren Moore.

Gera is expected to sign a two-year deal with Albion, with a 12-month option in the club's favour.

His return to the club will certainly stir the fans, not least given how popular he was during his four-year spell between 2004-08.

The Hungarian became an instant hit with the supporters following his arrival from Ferencvaros, playing a key role in Albion's Great Escape.

He eventually moved on a Bosman free transfer to Fulham following Albion's title win three seasons ago.

Now aged 32, Gera returns to the Hawthorns looking to add to the 155 appearances and 25 goals he scored during his first period.

And Moore, who played alongside Gera for two of those years, believes Albion have secured a great acquisition for the 2011-12 campaign.

"It's an absolutely fabulous signing for the club," said 'Big Dave'. ''Not just because of what he did four years ago but beacuse Zolly's got a great presence around the place.

"On the pitch he's stylish, very precise, scores goals and is a master of timing at set-pieces. He's not the tallest yet he's so good at reaching crosses and knowing when to make his runs.

"A lot will be made of his age but 32 is nothing for someone like him.

"He's never been the quickest anyway so nothing will be lost in that respect.

"In some ways you could compare him to Teddy Sheringham because he's such a clever footballer.

"He could easily go on and play into his late 30s and I think Albion, for that reason, have got themselves a great signing.

"Fans will still see the best of Zoltan. He could have done a job for anyone and will be back working for a manager who got the best out of him at Fulham."

Gera was known as a practical joker during his previous stint at the club and Moore gave an insight into his ex-colleague.

"He was a good lad," said Moore. "He could be quiet and not say much but he knew exactly what was going on – very perceptive.

"Also, when we had team bonding sessions he would rise to every challenge and be one of the most confident of people in the dressing room.

"He brings a lot of energy. He is every manager's type of player."

Moore believes Albion can prosper this season.

Now with Burton Albion, Moore remains in touch with ex-staff members and club officials.

The club has also named a suite in his honour, which he hopes to open when Albion meet Manchester United on the opening weekend of the season – provided the game is moved from Saturday for TV scheduling.

He reckons the club should set their sights reasonably high.

"West Brom have a great chance of another good season," continued Moore.

"Why shouldn't they? They've got a good set of players and a very good manager in Roy Hodgson.

"They've already made some signings and I see no reason why they can't make the Europa League positions.

"The structure of the club keeps evolving and getting stronger.

"There is no reason why they cannot keep moving up the table every season."

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-brom-news/2011/07/03/darren-moore-backs-zoltan-gera-to-shine-in-second-stint-at-west-brom-66331-28984123/?

WhiteJC

Too Many Cooks?
This week promises to see a situation resolved that may well require some resolving.

It would seem that Fulham have given themselves something of a problem following the sudden departure of Mark Hughes.

His backroom staff of Eddie Niedwiecki, Mark Bowen and Kevin Hitchcock are still with the club and all three have a year left on their contracts.

Naturally, they`re prepared to sit tight and take the money although it would also seem that they will play no part in Martin Jol`s backroom team.

The temporary solution, being reported in the media, relates to them being given duties away from the first team.

I can`t help feeling it would have been a different story if Mark Hughes had of secured a new position elsewhere, but as we all know those opportunities he, quite possibly, believed were opening up for him were subsequently filled by others.

Therefore, until Hughes gets a job elsewhere and takes his trio with him, it`ll be a cash drain we could well do without!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246114#ixzz1R2xKibjs

WhiteJC

SCHWARZER HAPPY AFTER ARSENAL SAGA

Mark Schwarzer is feeling happy at Fulham again, a year after seeing a dream move to Arsenal collapse.

The Australian shot-stopper was the subject of prolonged interest from the Gunners last summer, with Arsene Wenger having identified him as his top keeping target.

Fulham, though, stuck to their guns and refused to bow to the demands of their Premier League rivals.

They were able to keep Schwarzer out of Arsenal's clutches and stood by him throughout the 2010/11 campaign.

The 38-year-old admits it was difficult at time to keep his focus on the job in hand, having come so close to joining a club destined for the UEFA Champions League, but insists he has no complaints at still being part of the set-up at Craven Cottage.

He said: "Was it a test for me? Without a doubt.

"It is always a big test when there is speculation and an ongoing saga.

"What you have to do is get your head down and do your job. I showed that I could do that.

"I am an employee of Fulham and I have always said I love playing for this club."

Schwarzer believes the Cottagers are a club heading in the right direction and admits he was surprised to see former boss Mark Hughes quit his managerial position in June.

He said: "The chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) has been 100 per cent supportive and the club wouldn't exist in the position it is in now without his rock solid backing.

"It was a surprise when Mark Hughes left, but Martin Jol has had some big coaching positions and has slotted in easily."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/03/manual_130227.html

WhiteJC

Let It Go!
It`s always going to be a subject matter that is open to debate.

It fits nicely into the 'what if` category. But the proposed move, last summer, of Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal, never happened and when, repeatedly asked about it, Mark has never wavered from giving the professional answer, again commenting in the tabloid press this morning,

"Was it a test for me? Without a doubt."

"It is always a big test when there is speculation and an ongoing saga."

"What you have to do is get your head down and do your job. I showed that I could do that. I am an employee of Fulham and I have always said I love playing for this club."

A professional answer from a consummate professional, and a more than half decent keeper may I add!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246115#ixzz1R2y0zeDe

WhiteJC

Aldo de Nigris To Fulham?
by JASON GATTIES on JULY 3, 2011

Mexican international Aldo de Nigris has been "vaguely" rumored to be heading to Craven Cottage. The 27 year old, who had a breakout performance during Mexico's 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup title run, is currently playing for Mexican first division club Monterrey.

The following comes from a Sky Sports article:

A mystery Premier League team are believed to be leading the race to sign Mexico Gold Cup hero Aldo De Nigris.

The Monterrey striker scored three goals during Mexico's march to the CONCACAF title last month and is on the radar of a number of European sides.

Celtic had been strongly linked while Spanish side Deportivo de La Coruna were in the running before their relegation from the Primera Liga in May.

Now, though, the 27-year-old claims 'advanced negotiations' have taken place with a European team, but he has been instructed to contain his excitement.

He said: "There is a very advanced negotiation with a European team that is interested in me. They have seen me in action during the Gold Cup and have sent a proposal to Monterrey.

"I can't say the name of the team, the only thing that I can say is that it belongs to a very important European league, one of the most important ones.

"It's a team that has the chance to play in the Europa League next year. I can't say the name of the team because I have been asked not to.

"In the next days I will be having a meeting with the board members of Monterrey, but they have already said to me that there will not be any problem in letting me go."

Tottenham, Fulham and Stoke are the only Premier League sides who will participate in the Europa League next season, while Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Athletic Bilbao are the representatives of Spain's top division.

While it has been documented that Martin Jol wants to "go young" this summer, something can be said of picking up a hot striker who is hitting his stride at the age of 27. Aldo has scored 36 goals for Monterrey since first joining the club on loan during the 2008-2009 season, 31 of which have come during the last two seasons after joining the club on a permanent basis.

For Mexico, he earned his first senior team call up in 2010, earning two caps. He was named to the 2011 Gold Cup squad, scoring two goals in friendlies in the lead up to the Gold Cup and 4 goals during the Gold Cup itself. Only Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez (7) scored more goals during the Gold Cup while scoring more goals than Fulham ace, USA's beloved Clint Dempsey (3).

If the price is right, I would pull the trigger on this in a heartbeat. I also wouldn't be shocked if a swap with Carlos Salcido was involved, as it's no secret that Salcido not only wants to return to Mexico, but specifically, wants to play for Monterrey.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/aldo-de-nigris-to-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 2011 / 2012 - A Season Of Consolidation

Here are our predictions for how the Premier League will end up in 2011/12.

1st Manchester United

The club has already spent over £50m to strengthen its squad ( far more than its rivals ). Although triumph in Europe may well allude the club next season, Manchester United must be red hot favourites to retain the Premier League Title.

2nd Chelsea

Roman Abromavich's fixation to win the Champions League may hinder their title chances, especially with a new manager and coaching staff to bed in, and an ageing squad. 'Player power' could also be a crutial element next season, and it will need the senior players to pull the squad together and lead by example if they are going to give Manchester United a run for their money. Much will hinge on how Terry and Torres perform.

3rd Liverpool

The pressure will be on King Kenny and his players this coming season, as expectations will be high. A better team spirit and a much stronger squad than last season, however, should see Liverpool comfortably back in the Champions League come the end of the season. Will need to do all they can to keep Andy Carroll fit, though. Liverpool are also our favourites to win the FA Cup.

4th Manchester City

It's an indication as to how far this club has come in the last couple of seasons that fourth place in the Prem will be regarded as disappointing. Many supporters are expecting City to be serious title contenders this coming season, but keeping Tevez is key, and Manchini must try harder to get his group of stars to play more effectively as a team if they are to make progress. Our tip, though, is 4th.

5th Arsenal

With the likelihood of Fabregas going to Barcelona, Nasri to Manchester Utd, and no big signings, this coming season could end up being a real test for Arsenal and their fans. A 5th play finish and no silverware (again), however, will see Arsene Wenger retire from football at the end of the season. And what odds Carlo Ancelotti to replace him ?

6th Sunderland

After a disappointing last season, Sunderland have again splashed the cash and brought in some excellent players. Will be one of the surprise packages for next season. For once, Steve Bruce won't need to be making excuses.

7th Tottenham

Haven't done much in the transfer market yet, and with Luka Modric wanting to go, the squad will suffer. Harry Rednapp will have a real battle on his hands (and it might end up easier for him to think again about the England job!). A good bet for the Carling Cup.

8th Stoke City

The club now has a strong solid squad, and should continue to build on the last 3 seasons.

9th Bolton Wanderers

Owen Coyle is Bolton's saving grace, but with the strong possibility of Daniel Sturridge off to pastures new, the club will struggle to get higher than 9th. Still, this will represent a good result..

10th Everton

Another season, another struggle. A lack of money means little investment and another frustrating season for Everton's players and fans. Thank God David Moyes is a miracle-worker.

11th Fulham

Martin Jol is back in the Premier League, and will make his mark. This will be a season of consolidation, however.

12th Newcastle United

A club and squad in transition. A mid-table finish looks on the cards.

13th West Bromich Albion

A surprise package last season and Roy Hodgson will keep the club's head above water again this term. No more boing boing.

14th Blackburn Rovers

The club appears to be struggling to bring in new players, and this will have a significant impact on their season. Unfortunately it will be another flirtation with relegation, although the squad should be strong enough to beat the drop once again. Whether the manager will survive until the end of the coming season is another matter.

15th Wigan Athletic

Narrowly avoided relegation last season, Roberto Martinez will be fighting to stay up yet again. Having said that, Martinez is learning all the time and, with a supportive Chairman, the club should retain its Premier League status again at the end of this coming season.

16th Swansea City

This year's surprise package. Capable of playing good attacking football. This coming season's Blackpool, but can defend too and this will keep them up. Retaining their Premier League status this coming season will be a real result.

17th Aston Villa

Another squad in transition, with another new manager to boot. And another season of frustration for the fans.

18th Queens Park Rangers

Is it just us, or does anyone else thing that the Board is banking on only one season in the sun ? If so, and the club doesn't spend, it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

19th Wolverhampton Wanderers

Narrowly avoided the drop last year, and will need to invest heavily to avoid relegation. Love Mick McCarthy, but this could be one season too far even for him

20th Norwich City

The club has had two excellent seasons, under a really strong manager. A lack of funds and quality players will probably make relegation inevitable this term. Shame.

http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/07/03/fulham-2011-2012-a-season-of-consolidation/?