watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03/07/2011)

Started by Mr Fulham, July 03, 2011, 03:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/868132-fulham-make-offer-for-liverpool-transfer-target-jeffren#ixzz1R0JCyXZV

Fulham 'make offer' for Liverpool transfer target Jeffren

Fulham have attempted to steal a march on Liverpool in the race to sign Jeffren by making a formal bid for the Barcelona forward.

The Spain Under-21s international looks set to leave Barca this summer after failing to secure a regular spot in the club's star-studded first team.

It was thought the 23-year-old would move to Udinese as part of a deal that would see Chile international Alexis Sanchez join the European champions.

Jeffren's father has now revealed his son has no interest in signing for an Italian club and is only prepared to consider Spanish or English teams.

Liverpool have long been credited with an interest in Jeffren, but new Fulham boss Martin Jol is also a fan.

According to Sport, the Cottagers have made the first move by submitting a £7.2 million bid.

It is thought the sum is more than Liverpool or Valencia, another club keen on the Venezuelan-born star, are prepared to offer.

However, it is not clear whether Jeffren is willing to join a club of Fulham's mid-table standing after spending his whole career to date at Barcelona.

The player and his father, who acts as his agent, are due to meet Barca officials on Monday to discuss his future.

Mr Fulham

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7015700,00.html

De Nigris ready for big move

Mexico star in talks with unnamed European club

A mystery Premier League team are believed to be leading the race to sign Mexico Gold Cup hero Aldo De Nigris.

The Monterrey striker scored three goals during Mexico's march to the CONCACAF title last month and is on the radar of a number of European sides.

Celtic had been strongly linked while Spanish side Deportivo de La Coruna were in the running before their relegation from the Primera Liga in May.

Now, though, the 27-year-old claims 'advanced negotiations' have taken place with a European team, but he has been instructed to contain his excitement.

He said: "There is a very advanced negotiation with a European team that is interested in me. They have seen me in action during the Gold Cup and have sent a proposal to Monterrey.

"I can't say the name of the team, the only thing that I can say is that it belongs to a very important European league, one of the most important ones.

"It's a team that has the chance to play in the Europa League next year. I can't say the name of the team because I have been asked not to.

"In the next days I will be having a meeting with the board members of Monterrey, but they have already said to me that there will not be any problem in letting me go."

Tottenham, Fulham and Stoke are the only Premier League sides who will participate in the Europa League next season, while Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Athletic Bilbao are the representatives of Spain's top division.

Mr Fulham

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/MurphyOnJol.aspx

The Right Way

After leading Fulham to a comfortable three-nil win in the UEFA Europa League on Thursday night, Captain Danny Murphy spoke of the brand of football Fulham fans can expect to see at the Cottage next season following the recent appointment of Martin Jol as Manager.

"I know Martin from my time at Tottenham," Murphy told fulhamfc.com. "I know his philosophies and he's a football man who wants to play the right way, which is important at this Club with the type of players we've got.

"It was important that the person who came in [to Fulham] was a football man – somebody who wasn't going to change the philosophies of the Club and the way we play. He certainly hasn't done that and he likes attacking football.

"I think he'd like to get us scoring more goals but I think it's that delicate balance between keeping us what we are, which is a nice solid well organised team, and adding that bit of flair to move us forward.

"Sometimes you've got to be careful not to change too much. Looking back over the last two or three years we're not bad and I think he's aware of that and he's addressed the lads a few times and said that and he's happy with the squad.

"Of course we need a few additions with the number of games we will be playing but he knows he's got a good squad and wants us to carry on playing good football. There will be things he wants more of but it will be tweaks and not an overhaul."

Murphy knows Jol well from his spell at White Hart Lane and when discussing his time at Spurs, Fulham's captain spoke of the factors at play which impacted upon his form on the pitch.

"Me and Martin never fell out – far from it. There were a lot of different factors that I didn't speak about at Tottenham. My Dad died when I was in my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn't something I started talking about in the papers as I didn't think it was relevant at the time.

"I was out of the scene for the best part of two months and obviously you lose some fitness and things didn't quite go well. When I did get a chance there was quality around me. I can't remember how many games I played in a run, probably eight or 10 in my best run, and I did okay but I didn't play as well as I could have.

"Of course when you're in the middle of it you'll have a difference of opinion because you think you should be playing. You've got to remember there was a hell of a good squad at Tottenham at that time and international players and looking back it was a good learning curve for me because it gave me a kick up the backside to kick on and move on, do something different and become a better player.

"Whilst I was doing well at Fulham in my first year or two, Martin contacted me a couple of times to say 'well done'. We had contact after I'd left Tottenham and we always got on. I knew that he'd want to play football and I knew he knew my qualities- after all he took me to Tottenham.

"He watches a lot of games and he knows what I've been doing and what I've achieved since I've been here so in that respect I don't feel like I've got anything to prove. He knows my quality and I know the way he works.

"He's been great since he got here. I'm still Captain and still playing and as long as I keep doing it on the pitch I'm sure that will remain the case."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/MurphyOnJol.aspx#ixzz1R0KixOvD

Mr Fulham

We've been linked with him and we need a left-back so...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010666/Bellamy-frozen-Mancini-names-City-chosen-ones.html

Bellamy frozen out as Mancini names his City chosen ones

Manchester City 'outcasts', including Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bridge, will be kept apart from team-mates when the pre-season training starts on Tuesday.

Manager Roberto Mancini is planning for the players he wants to leave City this summer to either work separately from his first-team squad or stay away altogether.

Emmanuel Adebayor and Shaun Wright-Phillips are among others not considered by Mancini as members of his first-team group ahead of the club's pre-season tour to America later this month.

Outcast: Craig Bellamy will not train with the Manchester City first team

City's stance underlines their desperation to offload players before they name their 25-man squad for the Premier League.

Goalkeeper Shay Given has turned down a move to West Bromwich so he can join Aston Villa once they have agreed a fee with City, while Jerome Boateng, Roque Santa Cruz, Aleksandar Kolarov and Jo may also go for the right price.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010666/Bellamy-frozen-Mancini-names-City-chosen-ones.html#ixzz1R0LlG0tK

Mr Fulham

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-news-Danny-Murphy-high-hopes-for-reunion-with-Martin-Jol-who-once-signed-him-for-Spurs-article755259.html

Murphy hopes it's second best for him and Jol

Danny Murphy is ­determined to take his second chance under Martin Jol.

The Fulham skipper, who spent 18 unhappy months at White Hart Lane under Jol, said: "My dad died during my time at Spurs and I was off the scene for almost two months. As a result, I lost some fitness.

"We disagreed because I wanted to play and he [Jol] was playing other people.

"It gave me a bit of a kick up the backside to move on and be a better player and work that bit harder.

"But after I moved to Fulham, Martin contacted me to say, 'Well done.' There was no big row.

"Sometimes it is better the devil you know and he knows what I can do because he took me to Tottenham in the first place."

Mr Fulham

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-transfer-news-Zoltan-Gera-will-sign-for-West-Bromwich-Albion-after-he-refused-to-take-a-pay-cut-at-Fulham-article755643.html

Fulham star set to sign for Baggies

A full version of this story appears in today's People. Read it online at People.co.uk

Zoltan Gera is ready to sign for West Brom within the next 48 hours – after Fulham told him he would have to take a pay cut to stay at Craven Cottage.

The Hungarian star was out of contract and had been largely frozen out under Mark Hughes last season – but new boss Martin Jol offered him a fresh contract, albeit on reduced terms.

Mr Fulham

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/News-Mark-Schwarzer-reveals-how-move-to-Arsenal-from-Fulham-collapsing-was-a-big-test-article755690.html

Mark Schwarzer reveals test of Arsenal move collapse

Mark Schwarzer has revealed how the collapse of his dream move to Arsenal became a severe test of his professionalism.

Arsenal tried to sign the 38-year-old Aussie a year ago but refused to meet the £5million asking price.

That denied Schwarzer a chance to play in the Champions League and challenge for the title – but he refused to sulk.

"Was it a test for me? Without a doubt," said Schwarzer. "It is always a big test when there is speculation and an ongoing saga.

"What you have to do is get your head down and do your job. I showed that I could do that. I am an employee of Fulham and I have always said I love playing for this club."

Mr Fulham

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/News-Fulham-manager-Martin-Jol-faces-dilemma-as-he-still-has-three-coaches-from-Mark-Hughes-reign-on-payroll-article755757.html

Jol faces coaching dilemma at Fulham

Martin Jol will be faced with a massive dilemma when ­Fulham report for training tomorrow.

The new manager has THREE coaches on the payroll appointed by former boss Mark Hughes, who walked out at the end of the season.

Mark Bowen, Eddie ­Niedwiecki and Kevin ­Hitchcock were key members of Hughes's team when he worked at Blackburn, ­Manchester City and then ­Fulham.

But while Hughes left when he failed to agree terms on a new deal, the three coaches were left with another year on their contracts. They are still at Fulham but don't know what their roles will be under Jol.

The club have refused to pay them off with a year's salary and they remain on the staff at Craven Cottage and Jol will want to appoint his own backroom staff.

They are due to report to the club's training ground at ­Motspur Park tomorrow ­morning and Jol will then hand them duties away from the first team squad.

Jol has already appointed Hans Segers to work with his goalkeepers Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale. And it is believed that Ray Lewington – relegated by Hughes from first team to academy duties– will resume his previous role.

It is an issue that Jol wants to be resolved quickly as he looks to make his mark.

RidgeRider

Thanks for doing this Mr. Fulham. WhiteJC will be very grateful.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/07/03/fulham-transfer-news-zoltan-gera-set-to-join-west-brom-after-martin-jol-offers-pay-cut-to-stay-102039-23243231/

Fulham transfer news: Zoltan Gera set to join West Brom after Martin Jol offers pay cut to stay

Jul 3 2011

by Dave Kidd, The People

ZOLTAN GERA is ready to sign for West Brom within the next 48 hours – after Fulham told him he would have to take a pay cut to stay at Craven Cottage.

The out-of-contract Hungarian star had been largely frozen out under Mark Hughes last season – but new boss Martin Jol offered him a fresh contract, albeit on reduced terms.

Gera, 32, had already told his former Fulham chief Roy Hodgson that he was willing to link up with him again at Albion, the club he left to join Fulham in 2008.

The popular attacking midfielder was Fulham's Player of the Year during their historic run to the Europa League final in 2010.

Gera was spoiled for choice with offers from Germany, Spain and Greece, but he has always keen to stay in the Premier League and is now ready for a medical with the Baggies.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/07/03/fulham-transfer-news-900-000-price-tag-on-crystal-palace-target-dikgacoi-102039-23243219/

Fulham transfer news: £900,000 price tag on Crystal Palace target Dikgacoi

Jul 3 2011

by Alan Nixon, The People

Add a commentRecommend Fulham want £900,000 for midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi as Crystal Palace bid to take him back to Selhurst Park.

Dikgacoi did well for Dougie Freedman's side in a loan spell – but Fulham want full value for him and the South African may be priced out of a transfer.

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/07/03/mark-hughes-wrong-to-doubt-fulham-ambition-reckons-mark-schwarzer-102039-23243334/

Mark Hughes wrong to doubt Fulham ambition, reckons Mark Schwarzer

Jul 3 2011

by Dave Kidd, The People

MARK SCHWARZER insists Mark Hughes was wrong to doubt Fulham's ambition when he quit the club as boss last month.

Sparky's camp claimed chairman Mohamed Al Fayed would not supply the funds to make further progress. But as they embark on another Europa League adventure under new chief Martin Jol, the keeper insists Al Fayed is doing a great job.

The Aussie, 38, said: "The chairman has been 100 per cent supportive and the club wouldn't exist in the position it is in now without his rock solid backing.

"It was a surprise when Mark Hughes left, but Martin Jol has had some big coaching positions and has slotted in easily."

Fulham take a 3-0 lead over NSI Runavik to the Faroe Islands on Thursday in the Europa League.

Schwarzer wants to emulate their final appearance of two seasons ago. He added: "We can always wish and dream."

White Noise

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/sport-confidential/2011/07/03/fulham-face-europa-league-synthetic-pitch-test-102039-23243239/

Fulham face Europa League synthetic pitch test

Jul 3 2011

by Dean Jones, The People

FULHAM face a turf test once they have finished off Faroe Islands minnows NSI Runavik in the Europa League – as they will be playing on a synthetic pitch.

Semi-pro Northern Irish outfit Crusaders had a 4G surface laid at the end of 2009 and hope it will help them against Martin Jol's men on July 14.

The first leg promises to be a special day for Crusaders, already guaranteed their place in the second round, as they will also open two new stands.

NorthernWhite

He could always be used as part of a swap plus cash deal for Nathaniel Clyne their young talented right back!

Quote from: White Noise on July 03, 2011, 06:52:34 AM

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/football-hotline/2011/07/03/fulham-transfer-news-900-000-price-tag-on-crystal-palace-target-dikgacoi-102039-23243219/

Fulham transfer news: £900,000 price tag on Crystal Palace target Dikgacoi

Jul 3 2011

by Alan Nixon, The People

Add a commentRecommend Fulham want £900,000 for midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi as Crystal Palace bid to take him back to Selhurst Park.

Dikgacoi did well for Dougie Freedman's side in a loan spell – but Fulham want full value for him and the South African may be priced out of a transfer.

WhiteJC

Morrow injury blow for Crusaders

Crusaders midfielder Chris Morrow looks certain to miss the club's glamour Europa League tie with Fulham.
Morrow had to be helped off the pitch after sustaining what looked like a bad leg injury in Saturday's 3-0 friendly win over Larne.

He was taken to hospital and there are fears that he may have fractured his ankle.

The Crues look certain to be playing Fulham in the second round of Europa League qualifying after the Cottagers beat Faroe Island opposition 3-0 in their first round first leg game.

The north Belfast club are preparing to welcome the Londoners to Seaview on Thursday July 14th but Morrow is likely to miss that game and the second leg at Craven Cottage a week later.

© UTV News

http://www.u.tv/Sport/Morrow-injury-blow-for-Crusaders/fd4280f6-7bef-4218-bde6-a467028bb764?

WhiteJC

No Black Shorts?
by LYDIA on JULY 2, 2011

Mixed reactions so far about the new home kit but I for one absolutely love it. I think it looks fantastic! Maybe I am just not old enough to appreciate the tradition of the white top and black shorts but I welcome the change. The season of 2011/12 has so far brought a new manager to the helm and now we have a new look. With our all white home kit and all black away kit the team looks excellent and hopefully with Martin Jol's tactics we can play some excellent football as well!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/no-black-shorts/?

WhiteJC

What to do with the backroom boys?
by DAN on JULY 3, 2011

Two of the Sunday papers report that Martin Jol has asked Mark Bowen, Eddie Niedwiecki and Kevin Hitchcock to report for duty at Motspur Park on Monday.

The trio still have a year to run on their Fulham contracts and were placed on gardening leave when Mark Hughes resigned abruptly last month. After Hughes failed to land a new job, Bowen, Niedwiecki and Hitchcock are unsure of their future role at Fulham – and they are to thought to be handed non-first team coaching positions. Jol told his first press conference as the club's new manager that the backroom staff's situation was in the hands of chief executive Alistair Mackintosh.

Jol has already moved to bring in his own coaching team. He has been joined at Fulham by his brother Cock and his trusted lieutenant Michael Lindeman, whilst Hans Segers has recently arrived as first-team goalkeeping coach. Ray Lewington, who was demoted to Academy duties after Hughes replaced Roy Hodgson, has been restored to his former role.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/what-to-do-with-the-backroom-boys/?

WhiteJC

Where does Briggs fit in?
by LYDIA on JULY 2, 2011

I, like so many Fulham fans, was extremely impressed with young Matty Briggs on Thursday night. At left back he seemed very comfortable, especially with Hughes and Hangeland beside him to keep him right. He has good foot work and doesn't dive needlessly into a tackle. His good foot work also contributes to him having a good bit of skill and flair, something that football fans love to see! His pace is also very useful for him when running up the line which is what he loves doing. Two questions need to be answered about him though; Should he be given the starting place more regularly and where should he be played- left back or left mid?

1) Should he be given the starting place more regularly?

Jol has already said that he wants to bring some of the younger guys up to the first squad and Briggs is likely to be one of the first he thinks of purely because he has already sort of made his break through. I really enjoyed watching him play last year. Who doesn't love seeing somebody come through the ranks and into the first team? However the question is should he start more often. Currently in left back we have Salcido, Kelly and Briggs himself (Baird can also play here but I am going to assume that he will hold on to that right back spot). I was a bit surprised by the amount of criticism of our Mexican man last year. Salcido played well I thought, but he doesn't seem to be happy in London so could move on soon. Kelly is a player who I don't feel that confident about so would have Briggs above him in the pecking order. I think Jol should take a bit of a risk and start with Briggs in at least all of our Europa games. I would love to see him start in the league, especially as he did so well last year against the likes of Arsenal but Jol might favor experience over youth at the start of the league anyway. I say see how he does in Europe and then gradually bring him in for our PL games.

2) Left back or left mid?

Some people were asking this question but I think he should stick to left back. Besides, who would he play ahead of in midfield? He is a very attacking left back and that might worry some people as to whether or not he can get back if the opposition goes on the break. But I think that him being attacking will benefit our attack and here is why. If you have ever my pieces before you might know that I am a hockey player so I'll use another hockey example here. As a right back, my primary objective is obviously to defend. However, I often find that I am often in the oppositions half rather than my own. The key is in the positioning! As long as I hold a good position when attacking then I can ensure that I don't get caught out at the back. We are a solid defense and don't leak many goals, rather like Fulham. My strength is that I can contribute significantly to the attack while still having good positioning so that I can defend. I have found that having an extra person in attack to provide an option can really stretch the opposition and therefore allow us to find gaps in the defense. This is exactly the same with Fulham with Briggs and Baird. As our wing backs, they should attack but not commit too much. As long as they remember their primary objective then they will ensure that they don't leave our own defense too vulnerable.

I think he as a bright future at Fulham ahead of him and am extremely excited to see what he can do for us more often!

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/where-does-briggs-fit-in/

WhiteJC

FULHAM
The issues: Martin Jol is the new manager and will want to bring in his own ideas and a few of his own players. The Dutchman feels the average age of the squad is slightly too old and would prefer more pace on the flanks.
The budget: Also ran, depending on how chairman Mohamed Al Fayed feels.

Do not expect: The game's top names to be knocking on Jol's door to sign for Fulham. They need to get creative, take gambles and bring the best out of the players Jol has.

Do expect: Jol being linked with talent from the Netherlands where he was Ajax boss, and also with players he worked with at Tottenham. Most of those Spurs players are available now. Also in the market for a reserve goalkeeper if David Stockdale is loaned out to gain experience.

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/07/01/transfer-window-part-one-what-to-expect-from-arsenal-to-man-un/

WhiteJC

Villa and Fulham battle for Thomas Hitzlsperger

THOMAS Hitzlsperger could be on the verge of a sensational return to Villa – but the claret and blues face a fight to nab the German.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is also keen to recruit the 29-year-old, whose contract was cancelled at West Ham when they were relegated to the Championship.

A host of other Premiership clubs are keen, including Blackburn and Stoke City.

But Hitzlsperger is known to be keen to return to Villa where he enjoyed five good years after joining the Academy from Bayern Munich's youth set-up.

Crucially in his favour could be Alex McLeish's desire to rebuild the club from top to bottom with players craving to play for the shirt – and Hitzlsperger fits the bill on that score as one of the club's own.

When David O'Leary showed him the door in 2005, Hitzlsperger said he would one day like to return to the club.

After leaving Villa, his career went on an upward curve, going from a fringe German international to racking up 52 full caps.

And only last August he skippered Joachim Loew's side in a friendly against Denmark, "Thomas is an experienced player, he has been around for a long time and has the leadership abilities," Loew said at the time.

He joined Stuttgart on a free transfer and helped them win the Bundesliga in 2007, scoring a vital last-day goal.

Following a change in coach he moved to Lazio on loan before returning to the Premier League.

Hitzlsperger, known as The Hammer because of his left foot shot, joined West Ham on a free transfer in June but injured his thigh in Germany's friendly international in Denmark in August.

He scored on his competitive debut in a 5-1 home FA Cup fifth-round win over Burnley in February and became a firm fans' favourite from the moment he made his Barclays Premier League debut in a 3-1 home victory over Liverpool the same month.

He scored his first league goal for West Ham in a 3-0 home win over Stoke in March and totalled 11 League appearances, scoring two goals.

Villa fans will be excited by the prospect of Hitzlsperger's return.

John Gregory, who once famously remarked that he could "open a tin of baked beans with his left foot", handed him his debut in January 2001.

But it was under Graham Taylor that he sparkled, scoring his first goal in a 2-2 draw at Leicester in April 2002.
Four goals arrived in five games in the November of that year including a memorable injury-time winner against Albion at Villa Park.

Villa fans will also remember his trademark cracker against Blues in a 2-2 home draw the following season, his long range goal in a 4-0 demolition of Wolves and another belter in a shock home win over Chelsea in April 2004.

n BARCELONA and Victor Sanchez have agreed to rescind the midfielder's contract, the European champions have announced.

The 23-year-old played 14 first-team games between 2007-09 before being sent out on loan for the last two campaigns, first with Xerez and then last season with Getafe. But Barca have retained the right to buy back Sanchez until the 2012 winter transfer market, as well as a percentage of any further transfer payment.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2011/07/03/villa-and-fulham-battle-for-thomas-hitzlsperger-66331-28984124/?