watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (04/07/2011)

Started by Mr Fulham, July 04, 2011, 03:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010902/Benfica-target-Arsenal-striker-Nicklas-Bendtner.html

Benfica join Fulham in hunt for Arsenal striker Bendtner

Benfica are showing interest in Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner who has already been linked with Fulham and Bundesliga duo Bayern Munich and  Borussia Dortmund.

However, none of the clubs are willing to match the Gunners valuation of £12m leaving the door open for the Portuguese side to launch a new bid.

On his way? Bendtner is set to leave Arsenal this summer

Bendtner's father Thomas says Dortmund are keen but it is understood they believe the 23-year-old to be worth £7million.

Sporting Lisbon were also linked but denied making contact yet now their rivals Benfica are weighing up a move to replace Oscar Cardozo who is wanted by Dinamo Kiev.

Meanwhile, the Cottagers are showing interest in Barcelona winger Jeffren Suarez but Barca want around £7million for the player who refused to join Udinese last week.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2010902/Benfica-target-Arsenal-striker-Nicklas-Bendtner.html#ixzz1R6E0y6go

Mr Fulham

http://theballisround.co.uk/2011/07/03/dont-stop-til-you-get-enough/

Don't stop 'til you get enough

Brian Parish kicks off the 2011/12 season with a trip down to Craven Cottage to watch Martin Jol's team start the long road to Bucharest.

A little under two years ago, myself and Dagenham Dan went to Fulham's opening game in the 2009-10 Europa League campaign against FK Vetra. So impressed were we that night (despite the rain) that we decided that we would try and get to as many games as we could for however long the team remained in the competition. Little did we (or anyone) think that Fulham would eventually reach the final, only to lose to Atletico Madrid in Hamburg. That season, their league form suffered slightly while they performed their heroics in Europe; last year though, they finished in their second highest ever league placing of eighth, and despite Zoltan Gera's red card in the last game of the season, they've qualified again but this time through the fair play league.

Since the end of last season, Fulham have lost the manager who got them into Europe, but appointed Martin Jol in the place of Mark Hughes. Training for the new season has only recently begun, but the early start to the season has meant that while most other players are finishing off their holidays, Fulham are already preparing to start their 2011-12 season.

Fulham's opponents for the first qualifying round are a team that finished third in the Faroe Island league last season, and started off this year's competition with just one point from their opening four games. However, NSI Runavik recovered and won their next six, to go from bottom of the ten team division to top. As they visit London though, they are back in fourth place, having played thirteen of their league games and are six points behind the leaders, B36 Torshavn. They clearly know where the goal is in their domestic league, having scored thirty seven goals so far, but at the weekend, they drew their last game 1-1 against B71, who presently prop up the division.

Proving that there is now no such thing as a close season in football, just forty three days ago, on a cool and breezy night in Dublin, Porto beat Braga 1-0 in the final of last season's competition. And now, before June has even finished, the whole thing gets started again.

Thursday 30th June, Fulham v NSI Runavik, Craven Cottage

At the draw for the first two qualifying rounds of the Europa League, UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino said that the competition had become a "must-watch moment" for football fans. While it's arguably more of an open competition than the Champions League, the idea that football fans find the competition a "must watch" is a bit hard to take, especially when games are shown on two terrestrial channels in the UK, and most of those seem to be in half empty stadiums.

Of course, daft kick off times (like 6pm in the UK to fit in with the television rights) don't help, but if the competition is to be taken seriously, then the practice of allowing those teams that lose out in the Champions League must be stopped. And while they are at it, the idea of allowing a team to finish fourth in a league and still qualify for the "Champions" League is ridiculous. Michel Platini has said in the past that he would favour a return to the old straight knock out format for the European competitions, but while there is big money to be made, the current elongated group stage will remain. Sorry about that, rant over.

Of course this hasn't stopped us from attending, and at only £10 for a seat anywhere in the ground, it's most definitely one that must be filed under "it would be rude not to attend". Plus, I've never seen a team from the Faroe Islands, so it's another first for me.

We've bagged a couple of seats in the Riverside Stand, and this has meant that, not only do we get a view of the River Thames while eating a pie before the game, but we also get to see the Michael Jackson statue. It's a sight to behold, it really is. There are quite a few people who have their pictures taken in front of the statue, but most of the regulars just walk straight past, not glancing up. Perhaps they've seen it before, or aren't big fans. Or maybe they've cleared off to Chelsea.

The game kicks off on how a June evening should be; bright and sunny. There is a bit of a breeze off the Thames, but it's not much. Fulham have named a strong line up, and our pre-match deliberations about what team they are likely to field is all for nothing. The home side are in their new all-white home kit, which sort of looks like New Zealand's football kit (all white with bits of black) but the skin tight Kappa shirts are not football fan friendly to say the least. Prior to the game we had visited the stadium store, and the club are selling off the green and gold away shirt from last season. One helpful fan recommends getting a shirt that is normally two sizes too big; so if you normally wear a large, you will need an XXL at least. The presence of several sizes of shirt rarely seen (up to 5XL) would bear this out. Either that, or Fulham have a very toned following.

Fulham are a mere 1/50 to win the game, and are on the attack within the first thirty seconds, winning their first corner of the season from it. Dan reckons that they should have scored by now, but Runavik are parking the proverbial bus in front of the goal. We've seen this tactic before, having endured several England v Andorra games. Normally once the first has gone in, then the score-line just gets higher, but not tonight. Although they have only been in training about a week or so, Fulham are much quicker than their opponents, who use every break in play as an opportunity to take a drink. Ten minutes pass without a goal, then twenty. Most in the ground are patient, but one woman several rows behind us let's everyone know her frustration with every misplaced pass. Perhaps she is making a bid to become the first female manager of an English League team; she certainly knows how to berate a linesman, who gives a close but correct offside decision against Zamora.

Just over half an hour has been played when Fulham finally make the break through. It hasn't quite been the one sided game that most were expecting, but almost. Some good work and exchange of passes on the left hand side of the area results in the ball falling to Damien Duff who duly slots home Fulham's first goal of the season and the relief around the ground is evident.

Half time arrives with the score still at 1-0. Runavik manage to get a late corner, when Aaron Hughes tries to deposit the ball into the Thames and doesn't quite get enough on it, but there has been no threat from the visitors, which was probably to be expected.

The second half starts, and although Runavik kick off, the ball is firmly in their half of the pitch. Just before the hour, two shots go just wide, which has Dan advising that it's going to end 1-0. Thankfully this isn't the case. As 60 minutes ticks round on the stadium scoreboard, Davies is fouled in the area, and there is a couple of second's hesitation from the Austrian referee before he finally points to the penalty spot. Danny Murphy is entrusted with the penalty, which he duly puts away, sending the ball to the keeper's left which is unfortunate (for the goalie at least) as he has already dived the other way.

To be fair, Andras Gango is having a reasonable game, saving several times when it looks as though Fulham are going to score. Andrew Johnson finally finishes them off after 70 minutes following a flick by Zamora, and that's the scoring done. There are a few substitutions made, but although we've been hoping for a big win, it hasn't really looked like happening.

An additional four minutes are added, but people have seen enough; perhaps the tennis is still on. Once the whistle goes, there is a mass exodus, although some of the near fifteen thousand crowd stay behind to clap the team from the field. It's been an interesting night, but Fulham are at least on their way, and only have another 21 games to play if they want to reach another European final. With any luck, we might be in Bucharest to see them as well.

Mr Fulham

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/aldo-de-nigris-to-fulham/

Aldo de Nigris To Fulham?

Mexican international Aldo de Nigris has been "vaguely" rumored to be heading to Craven Cottage. The 27 year old, who had a breakout performance during Mexico's 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup title run, is currently playing for Mexican first division club Monterrey.

The following comes from a Sky Sports article

[...]

While it has been documented that Martin Jol wants to "go young" this summer, something can be said of picking up a hot striker who is hitting his stride at the age of 27. Aldo has scored 36 goals for Monterrey since first joining the club on loan during the 2008-2009 season, 31 of which have come during the last two seasons after joining the club on a permanent basis.

For Mexico, he earned his first senior team call up in 2010, earning two caps. He was named to the 2011 Gold Cup squad, scoring two goals in friendlies in the lead up to the Gold Cup and 4 goals during the Gold Cup itself. Only Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez (7) scored more goals during the Gold Cup while scoring more goals than Fulham ace, USA's beloved Clint Dempsey (3).

If the price is right, I would pull the trigger on this in a heartbeat. I also wouldn't be shocked if a swap with Carlos Salcido was involved, as it's no secret that Salcido not only wants to return to Mexico, but specifically, wants to play for Monterrey.

Mr Fulham

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2385644,00.html

Schwarzer happy at Craven Cottage

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is happy at Fulham again, a year after seeing a dream move to Arsenal collapse.

The Australian shot-stopper was the subject of prolonged interest from the Gunners last summer, with Arsene Wenger having identified him as his top keeping target.

Fulham, though, stuck to their guns and refused to bow to the demands of their Barclays Premier League rivals.

They were able to keep Schwarzer out of Arsenal's clutches and stood by him throughout the 2010/11 campaign.

The 38-year-old admits it was difficult at times to keep his focus on the job in hand, having come so close to joining a club destined for the UEFA Champions League, but insists he has no complaints at still being part of the set-up at Craven Cottage.

He said: "Was it a test for me? Without a doubt.

"It is always a big test when there is speculation and an ongoing saga.

"What you have to do is get your head down and do your job. I showed that I could do that.

"I am an employee of Fulham and I have always said I love playing for this club."

Schwarzer believes the Cottagers are a club heading in the right direction and admits he was surprised to see former boss Mark Hughes quit his managerial position in June.

He said: "The chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) has been 100 per cent supportive and the club wouldn't exist in the position it is in now without his rock solid backing.

"It was a surprise when Mark Hughes left, but Martin Jol has had some big coaching positions and has slotted in easily."

Mr Fulham

http://life.hereisthecity.com/2011/07/03/fulham-2011-2012-a-season-of-consolidation/

Fulham 2011 / 2012 - A Season Of Consolidation

Here are our predictions for how the Premier League will end up in 2011/12.

[...]

11th Fulham

Martin Jol is back in the Premier League, and will make his mark. This will be a season of consolidation, however.

[...]

White Noise

Crystal Palace to secure Fulham midfielder

Published 23:00 03/07/11

By Mirror Football

Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman is signing Fulham's South African midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi in a £800,000 deal today.

Dikgacoi impressed for Freedman in a loan spell when the Eagles soared clear of the drop and the young chief wants has splashed out to take him on to full-time.

Fulham held out for a big fee but Freedman thinks Dikgacoi will be a long-term asset - and is now switching his sights to a centre half and a striker.

Palace are in talks with Leeds United free agent Patrick Kisnorbo and Hull City's former Tottenham defender Anthony Gardner but both are looking for lucrative deals.

Freedman is also waiting on an answer from Nottingham Fiorest's far-travelled striker Rob Earnshaw. The Welshman wants a new deal at the City Ground but may end up disappointed.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Fulham-midfielder-Kagisho-Dikgacoi-to-sign-for-Crystal-Palace-on-a-permanent-deal-today-article755921.html#ixzz1R6ybsgRg

WhiteJC

Murphy denies Jol fall-out
Cottagers playmaker insists there is no history with manager

Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy insists he never fell out with manager Martin Jol while the pair were together at Tottenham.

The ex-Liverpool man spent one season at White Hart Lane following his Anfield switch in 2006, but he failed to secure regular football.

It had been suggested that Jol, who is now in charge at Craven Cottage after Mark Hughes' exit, had clashed with the skilful playmaker.

However, Murphy has revealed a number of factors curtailed his ability to shine with the north Londoners, most notably a family bereavement.

After resurrecting his career at Fulham he was contacted by Dutchman Jol, who had taken note of his impressive displays for The Cottagers.

Denial

"Me and Martin never fell out - far from it," he told the club's official website. "There were a lot of different factors that I didn't speak about at Tottenham.

"My Dad died when I was in my only full season at Tottenham and it wasn't something I started talking about in the papers as I didn't think it was relevant at the time.

"I was out of the scene for the best part of two months and obviously you lose some fitness and things didn't quite go well. When I did get a chance there was quality around me. I can't remember how many games I played in a run, probably eight or 10 in my best run, and I did okay but I didn't play as well as I could have.

"Of course when you're in the middle of it you'll have a difference of opinion because you think you should be playing. You've got to remember there was a hell of a good squad at Tottenham at that time and international players and looking back it was a good learning curve for me because it gave me a kick up the backside to kick on and move on, do something different and become a better player.

"Whilst I was doing well at Fulham in my first year or two, Martin contacted me a couple of times to say 'well done'. We had contact after I'd left Tottenham and we always got on. I knew that he'd want to play football and I knew he knew my qualities - after all he took me to Tottenham.

"He watches a lot of games and he knows what I've been doing and what I've achieved since I've been here so in that respect I don't feel like I've got anything to prove. He knows my quality and I know the way he works.

"He's been great since he got here. I'm still captain and still playing and as long as I keep doing it on the pitch I'm sure that will remain the case."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7016322,00.html

WhiteJC

Palace to wrap up deal for Fulham's Kagisho Dikgacoi

CRYSTAL Palace boss Dougie Freedman will sign Fulham midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi today.

The Eagles have agreed a deal which is worth around £600,000 for the South African international, 26.

Dikgacoi will sign a three-year deal with Palace and becomes their second signing of the summer. New Fulham boss Martin Jol told him that he would not play regularly at Craven Cottage.

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=24427&headline=Palace

WhiteJC

Exit KG

The Daily Mirror says that Kagisho Dikgacoi is going to Palace today.

This is a shame – I liked him as a player and assume he'll grow to dominate that division – but I suppose these sorts of move will be reasonably common in the weeks ahead.  We've already lost Gera, Johnson (E) and Kamara, and I'm sure there will be one or two more fringe players looking for new homes.

Martin Jol's squad is well constructed, with several players having played over 100 games for the club.  The re-birth of Ray Lew means that Jol has someone who knows the team inside out to hand (if he needs it; I get a sense that Jol knows his squad quite well already) so really it's going to be a case of tinkering around the edges, gently bringing down the squad's average age and managing a transition so that in four years we're not sitting here wondering why our team of 33+ year old favourites aren't winning games anymore.

So we'll see what happens. The season's early start is a little disorientating. In my mind we're back playing again, so it feels like all the moves should have been made.  In reality the serious business doesn't start for a couple of months. So there's no rush.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/04/exit-kg/?

WhiteJC

Baird rejects Hughes' claims

CHRIS Baird admitted he was 'shocked' when Mark Hughes quit as Fulham manager – but this week rubbished suggestions by his ex-boss the club lacks ambition.
The defender was on holiday when startled by a text that told him he was about to get his fourth manager since joining the Whites in 2007 on a £3million deal from Southampton.
In contrast, Baird knows what it is all about to stick it out when the going gets tough.
The Northern Ireland international has hung around against the odds to cement a spot after suffering a first couple of campaigns in and out of the first team.

However, Hughes's agent Kia Joorabchian reckoned that after just one season the Welshman does not believe the Whites are the way forward.
"That's Mark's opinion and he's entitled to it – but it's not one I share," said Baird.
"In fact, we had a good season. We finished eighth and qualified for the Europa League again. We've been to the final of the competition already and been seventh since I've been here – the highest yet for the club. That sounds like ambitious to me."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/07/04/baird-rejects-hughes-claims-64767-28988974/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 'make offer' for Liverpool transfer target Jeffren
Fulham have attempted to steal a march on Liverpool in the race to sign Jeffren by making a formal bid for the Barcelona forward.

The Spain Under-21s international looks set to leave Barca this summer after failing to secure a regular spot in the club's star-studded first team.

It was thought the 23-year-old would move to Udinese as part of a deal that would see Chile international Alexis Sanchez join the European champions.

Jeffren's father has now revealed his son has no interest in signing for an Italian club and is only prepared to consider Spanish or English teams.

Liverpool have long been credited with an interest in Jeffren, but new Fulham boss Martin Jol is also a fan.

According to Sport, the Cottagers have made the first move by submitting a £7.2 million bid.

It is thought the sum is more than Liverpool or Valencia, another club keen on the Venezuelan-born star, are prepared to offer.

However, it is not clear whether Jeffren is willing to join a club of Fulham's mid-table standing after spending his whole career to date at Barcelona.

The player and his father, who acts as his agent, are due to meet Barca officials on Monday to discuss his future.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/868132-fulham-make-offer-for-liverpool-transfer-target-jeffren#ixzz1R7XZ8hWT

WhiteJC

Whites expect to keep star duo

Leeds manager Simon Grayson expects Robert Snodgrass and Max Gradel to stay at Leeds this summer, despite Premier League interest in the duo.

Speculation has surfaced that both players could leave Elland Road during the transfer window after impressing for the Whites last season.

Their departures would strike a blow to the Yorkshire club following the exits of regulars Neil Kilkenny and Bradley Johnson and goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel's move to Leicester.

The club rejected an offer for Snodgrass from promoted Norwich last month, while Gradel is reportedly a target of Premier League Fulham and Championship rivals West Ham.

Ivorian winger Gradel, who scored 18 Championship goals last term, is out of contract with Leeds in 12 months' time, while fellow forward Snodgrass has two years remaining on his deal.

Grayson has moved to allay fears over the pair's future, insisting they are both central to his plans for the forthcoming campaign.

Asked if he was confident of keeping them at the club, he told the Yorkshire Evening Post: "Definitely. All our work will be done around the players we've got.

"Obviously if somebody offers money that you think is too good to turn down then we'd go out and replace them.

"It's not like any money that comes in will be left in the bank - we'll be going out to spend it straight away.

"But I'm envisaging that both players and every other player at the club will still be here at the start of the season."

http://www.teamtalk.com/norwich-city/7017794/Whites-expect-to-keep-star-duo?

WhiteJC

Jol eyes Jeffren swoop

Martin Jol is reportedly trying to entice Barcelona forward Jeffren to Fulham this summer ahead of Premier League rivals Liverpool.

The Cottagers chief is hoping to bolster his attacking options having turned down the opportunity to prolong Eidur Gudjohnsen's stay at Craven Cottage beyond his six-month loan stint in the second half of last season.

And reports now claim that Jol has submitted a £7.2million offer to try and beat Reds boss Kenny Dalglish and Spanish La Liga outfit Valencia to the signature of 23-year-old Jeffren, who has recently helped Spain win the European Under-21 Championship in Denmark.

The player was linked with a possible move to Italian side Udinese as a makeweight in a deal which could have taken Chile star Alexis Sanchez to the Nou Camp.

But that failed to happen when Jeffren's father and agent revealed that he will only contemplate staying in Spain or moving to the Premier League.

If Barca accept the fee it will be down to Jol to persuade Jeffren to move to the Cottagers given that he will be well aware a switch to Liverpool would arguably give him a better chance of success in the future.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/07/04/Jol-eyes-Barca-star-swoop/gnid-99055/?

WhiteJC

Liverpool target Jeffren set for showdown talks over Barcelona future

Premier League target Jeffren Suarez is set for crunch talks with Barcelona this week in a bid to decide his future.

The flying winger has been linked with Liverpool, Aston Villa and Fulham already this summer although only the Londoners are understood to have firmed up their interest with a bid.

With Barca expected to land fellow wideman Alexis Sanchez from Udinese, Jeffren looks certain to leave the Nou Camp this year.

It was originally thought that the 23-year-old would be sent to the Italian club as part of the deal for Sanchez but it has been reported that he does not want to join Udinese.

Now Jeffren, along with his father Efren, who also acts as his agent, will meet Barca's sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta to decide the winger's next step.

Having failed to establish himself in Pep Guardiola's first team, along with the arrival of Sanchez, £7m-rated Jeffren knows his future lies elsewhere.

Valencia are another team who have been monitoring his progress and would be keen to keep him in Spain following Joaquin's move to Malaga and the possible departure of Juan Manuel Mata.

But sources in Spain have indicated that he fancies a shot at Premier League football and that he could be tempted to move to England this summer.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/8780/3/liverpool-target-jeffren-set-showdown-talks-over-barcelona-future?

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace close to signing Fulham midfielder

Crystal Palace will complete the signing of South Africa international midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi from Fulham in a £625,000 deal today.

The 26-year-old's representatives were at the club's training ground agreeing terms over a three-year deal.

Dikgacoi, who has made just 13 appearances for Fulham since moving to Craven Cottage in 2009, spent the final three months of last season on loan at Palace and impressed manager Dougie Freedman.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23967059-crystal-palace-close-to-signing-fulham-midfielder.do?

WhiteJC

European Stage

Fulham will make the trip to the Faroe Islands on Wednesday, looking to seal their place in the next UEFA Europa League qualification round.

The Whites sit in a commanding position, having recorded a three-nil victory over NSI Runavik at Craven Cottage last Thursday and the prospect of another season of European action is certainly one Aaron Hughes is hopeful of achieving.

"We said last season that we missed it after so many great experiences the year before," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "You miss going away and having those new experiences.

"As a player you want to have as many of those moments as you can before you finish playing. It's something to look back on.

"It's exciting and if we can get through these early rounds and progress – it would be difficult to do the same again but we'll have a good go at it."

With most other teams around the country reporting back for pre-season training this week, Fulham have already taken part in competitive action and are now in their second week of training.

"It doesn't feel like we've been away, because it's been such a short break," Hughes explained. "I think players nowadays look after themselves a lot better than they used to. No one ever loses that much fitness and after just four weeks the lads have come back pretty fit anyway.

"It was a little bit strange having a game after just one week [of training] and still trying to have that normal first week when you're building into things and getting up to speed. We've just have to do it a little bit quicker. Although we've had a little break it's as if no one's been away."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/HughesEuropeanStage.aspx?#ixzz1R91GCaGi

WhiteJC

Fulham Makes Offer for Jeffrén, Potential Target for Transfer Deal to Liverpool

FC Barcelona forward Jeffrén, a player whom Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has his sights set on for a transfer deal, is now gaining interest from Premier League rival Fulham.

Cottagers manager Martin Jol submitted a £7.2 million bid to Barcelona in order to acquire the 23-year-old. The £7.2 million is thought to be more than Liverpool is prepared to offer.

Jeffrén appears ready to move on from Barcelona after failing to earn a spot on the club's top team. He has played for the Barcelona organization since 2006 but has only three goals for Barca's first team.

Jol is scheduled to meet with Jeffrén and his father, the player's agent, on Monday to discuss a potential move.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/fulham-makes-offer-for-jeffrén-a-potential-target-for-transfer-deal-to-liverpool.html?

WhiteJC

The Challenge Ahead

Should Fulham qualify for the 2011/12 UEFA Europa League group stage, many squad members will be back in familiar territory.

The 09/10 European campaign saw Fulham take on an additional 19 Europa League fixtures in a season which saw the Whites cope admirably with the demands of domestic and European action.

With Fulham having now joined the qualification stage two rounds earlier than in 2009, the Europa League campaign has the potential to be even longer this time – and Fulham Captain Danny Murphy is well aware of the road ahead.

"It's a positive that we've got the opportunity to play in Europe again," he told fulhamfc.com. "Not everybody is used to doing it so it's going to be a test, but you've got to look at the positives, and the run of two years ago will live long in the memory of everybody associated with Fulham Football Club, so why not go on a good run again?

"In July you're playing friendly matches anyway, trying to get fit, so if anything we'll be ahead of schedule. We might have some tired legs at the end of the season but then it's down to the Manager to rotate players.

"Last time we did it we put ourselves in a safe position fairly early on and we were never in any trouble. The problems come if you're trying to fight a relegation battle whilst playing European games.

"Let's hope we're not in that position. The squad is as healthy as it's ever been in terms of quality. We are lacking a few numbers and I'm sure that will be addressed."

Looking ahead to the second leg of the qualification match against NSI Runavik this Thursday, Murphy ruled out any complacency on Fulham's part – despite take a three-goal advantage into the game.

"It's a difficult one at three nil," Murphy surmised. "If it was five it would probably be easier. I would expect one or two of the young lads to play maybe. Of course you need the spine of the team but when you play away it could be a dodgy pitch and it only takes one mistake and you can be a goal down after ten minutes.

"You have to be careful, but let's be honest, whatever team we play we should be comfortable with a three-nil lead. As the game went on at the Cottage we should have scored more goals and wrapped it up.

"It will be my first trip to the Faroe Islands and another one to tick off the list. I've been to a few countries in my time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/MurphyTheChallengeAhead.aspx?#ixzz1R9IeBqv0

WhiteJC

For One Awful Minute!
Well that jolted me out of my slumber!

Flicking through several internet sites this lunchtime I almost gave myself a heart attack.

Surely not I thought!

Surely we`re not having one of Ronald Reagan standing alongside that of Michael Jackson, down at Craven Cottage, are we?

Thankfully not, we`ve not descended further down the comedy, it transpires that the statue of the ex-President is to be erected outside the US Embassy!

Phew, for one awful minute................

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246210#ixzz1R9cf1aVw

WhiteJC

German International on our Radar?
With Kagisho Dikgacoi on the verge of leaving Craven Cottage, could Martin Jol be looking at signing a replacement?

According to the tabloid gossip columns, Fulham have registered an interest in the former West Ham United player, Thomas Hitzlsperger.

The former German international is a free agent after being released form his contract, following West Ham`s relegation last season.

But, as expected, there is competition for his signature with his former club - Aston Villa, as well as Stoke City and Blackburn Rovers showing interest.

Perhaps the fact he could stay in London could swing it our way!

Good capture or bad capture?

What`s the view!?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246211#ixzz1R9cqzLW1