Main Menu

Chris Baird Gives Mark Hughes The Bullard Treatment

Started by White Noise, July 04, 2011, 08:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham's Baird hits back at Hughes

By Paul Warburton

Jul 4 2011

CHRIS Baird admitted he was 'shocked' when Mark Hughes quit as Fulham manager – but this week rubbished suggestions by his ex-boss the club lacks ambition.

The defender was on holiday when startled by a text that told him he was about to get his fourth manager since joining the Whites in 2007 on a £3million deal from Southampton.

In contrast, Baird knows what it is all about to stick it out when the going gets tough.

The Northern Ireland international has hung around against the odds to cement a spot after suffering a first couple of campaigns in and out of the first team.

However, Hughes's agent Kia Joorabchian reckoned that after just one season the Welshman does not believe the Whites are the way forward.

"That's Mark's opinion and he's entitled to it – but it's not one I share," said Baird.

"In fact, we had a good season. We finished eighth and qualified for the Europa League again. We've been to the final of the competition already and been seventh since I've been here – the highest yet for the club. That sounds like ambitious to me."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/04/fulham-s-baird-hits-back-at-hughes-82029-28988951/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1R7YundFz

BalDrick

Quietly assuming almost legendary status isn't he? I know that expression is overused - not sure it can really be applied to anyone except in hindsight but he's clearly as happy at Fulham as we are with him.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

WHITEwitch

Quote from: BalDrick on July 04, 2011, 10:10:21 AM
Quietly assuming almost legendary status isn't he? I know that expression is overused - not sure it can really be applied to anyone except in hindsight but he's clearly as happy at Fulham as we are with him.

:dft009:  Hear hear.  He has character which always endears a player to us fans.  Baird and Hughes provide a lot of stability to the squad which isn't always lauded but is appreciated byus in the back rows.

Jack Fulham

Bairdy!!

Pretty sure we got him for like 600k though, never saw the £3 million figure thrown around.

Senior Supporter

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 04, 2011, 10:49:35 AM
Bairdy!!

Pretty sure we got him for like 600k though, never saw the £3 million figure thrown around.

I think we paid more than 600k for him. He was Southampton's captain and player of the year at the time. A couple of Saints season ticket holders I know were gutted that the club had sold him, but I recall that they thought the fee thay got was a fair one.

White Noise

The consistently reported fee was £3,025,000.

He was Player of the Year and Fans Player of the Year the season before he joined us. His career shows he is the epitome of working hard to make the very most of every ounce of your talent.

Burt

:Haynes The Maestro:

He has his head screwed on right.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: Burt on July 04, 2011, 12:35:23 PM

Is that a Frankenstein allusion?

Burt

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 04, 2011, 12:36:33 PM
Quote from: Burt on July 04, 2011, 12:35:23 PM

Is that a Frankenstein allusion?

Yes. After all he could have had his head screwed on the wrong way around, or with bio-degradable nuts and bolts, or...

YankeeJim

The man is certainly not the most skilled of players but far too many don't have his simple professionalism and most trail in  heart. I remember the days under Sanchez. No one got more stick than Chris Baird but he never quit. Don't know about being a legend but he has earned my respect.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Fulham_Adam

Agree he's not one of the most skilled players but his diagonal balls from when he played left back to the strikers was some of the best passing I've ever seen.
The past is told by those who win.

os5889

I dont think I can think of many players who I respect more than Chris Baird. The stick, frustration and hatred directed at him during the Sanchez and early Roy era was disgraceful something I wouldn't wish on anyone (except maybe Mascherano, I remember once when he came on there was a chorus of boos and sighs around the ground). Fair play to him, he stuck with us when he could have easily dropped his shoulders and ran tail between legs back to Southampton.

One thing we cant level at Baird is his lack of heart, drive, character or loyalty (even when he was shown none).

One thing we can level at Baird is he needs a good nights sleep.

I wouldn't go with legend, I would go with frighteningly underrated, and long may it stay that way. A proper diamond in the rough.

finnster01

In a weird way I think Baird and Dempsey are very similar. Now before you all shoot me down with rpg's it is simply because both of them has overcome bad odds to take their spot in the team.

Baird has had a more difficult time as he does not have the talent Dempsey has, but they both have the heart of a lion. Roy sat down Dempsey for a while and rather than complain he fought and got his automatic starting spot back, and he certainly has never looked back since.

Two players with terrific attitude, hard workers, and an example to be followed by youngsters in any team.  :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

MrFFC

Baird us a really good player a great part of our squad and all people crying for new signings we need a few but not many as with pros like Baird we will go far.
Come on you Whites!! :)

b+w geezer

Baird's a good player to have around and seemingly a good chap as well. What he says there is good to hear too. But what ludicrous hype in its manner of presentation. He disagrees firmly with Mark Hughes, indeed. He neither "hits back at" nor "rubbishes" him. He disagrees.

Perish the thought that this is now to be the Fulham Chronicle norm. Hopefully the usual sub-editor is on holiday this week and that's all there is to it.

White Noise

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/199360/Chris-Baird-slams-sniper-Mark-Hughes/

CHRIS BAIRD SLAMS SNIPER MARK HUGHES

5th July 2011

By Mike McGrath

CHRIS BAIRD has hit back at former Fulham boss Mark Hughes for claiming the club lacks ambition.

Mark Hughes quit Fulham a month ago to progress in his career but so far has not got a new job.

And Fulham defender Chris Baird reckons he was wrong to question the ambition of the 2010 Europa League finalists.

He said: "That's Mark's opinion and he's entitled to it – but it's not one I share.

"We had a good season. We finished eighth and qualified for the Europa League again.

"We've been to the final already and been seventh since I've been here – the highest finish yet for the club.

''That sounds like ambitious to me."

Baird's Fulham team-mate Aaron Hughes claims Hughes left without saying goodbye to his players.

Martin Jol has since taken over and the first players knew about the changes were in texts sent by the club.

Northern Ireland star Hughes, set to start against NSI Runavik in the Europa League on Thursday, said: "Mark didn't say goodbye at all.

"I just got a text to say he was leaving and then another message later to say the new manager was coming in."