more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (12/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 12, 2011, 07:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Being Used?

Is it a sign of our ambition or merely the press adding our name to a long list of possible suitors?

The reason I ask is that nestling amongst the list of possible suitors showing an interest in the Arsenal forward Nikolas Bendtner is the name of Fulham.

The Danish striker looks set to be heading for the exit door at Arsenal as Arsene Wenger seeks to shuffle his pack.

But, before we all get carried away at the possibility of Fulham signing the player, we should point out that it`s looking far more likely that he`ll be signing for Dortmund or Sporting Lisbon.

Bendtner, who hasn`t gone on the Far East tour with Arsenal is rumoured to be currently earning £52,000 a week, hence the shirt number at Arsenal, which seems a bit steep for a club like ours.

Therefore, in answer to my opening question about the rumours origin I`ll go for the latter of my two options, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=246967#ixzz1Rs2K9VbK

WhiteJC

Fulham swoop for Hungarian keeper

FOOTBALL: Fulham confirmed today that Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi has signed a one-year deal with the club following a successful trial.

Somogyi, 26, has become Martin Jol's first signing since he took over at Craven Cottage and also had a trial at Ajax during Jol's time in charge at the Dutch club.

The former Rakospalotai EAC man signed as a free agent and the club have an option to extend the deal by a further year until 2013.

He will compete with Mark Schwarzer and David Stockdale to be first-choice at Fulham, although Stockdale has been linked with a move away from the club.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/106934?

WhiteJC

Zoltan Gera admits he turned down Fulham contract to return to West Brom
Hungarian says he could not go back on an agreement he made with Roy Hodgson to rejoin his former club and hopes to sign his contract with the side as soon as possible

Former Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera has revealed that he turned down the offer of a new contract at Craven Cottage in favour of a move back to West Brom.

The Hungarian international spent four years at The Hawthorns prior to joining Fulham in 2008.

Gera revealed that he would have been happy to stay at Fulham had he not already had a verbal agreement in place with Roy Hodgson.

"There was a chance of me staying at Fulham but I had already made a verbal agreement with West Bromwich Albion," Gera told origo.hu.

"After I spoke to Hodgson the Fulham manager changed. They wanted me to stay but I didn't want to break my agreement [with West Brom].

"I'm grateful to Fulham for the years I spent there. I've received only good things from them.

"I felt good and they wanted me to stay. It's not true that they told me to go, it was my own decision. I considered it to be the best thing for me."

Gera has agreed his move to West Brom but has not been able to complete the switch due to an ankle injury that required surgery.

He added: "I hope I can attend training in one month but I wouldn't like to put a definite time on my recovery.

"I needed this operation so I would not have any more problems with my ankle in the future.

"I'm very grateful to West Brom for helping me. I'm happy that they made it public that we're close to agreeing a deal.

"I'd love to sign my contract at West Brom and I think they want me too. I hope that everything will be cleared up in the near future.

"If everything goes well I plan to sign a two-year contract with the option to extend it by a year."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/11/2570210/zoltan-gera-admits-he-turned-down-fulham-contract-to-return?

WhiteJC

Csaba Somogyi Is On His Way To The Cottage

The 26-year-old Hungarian keeper, who impressed Martin Jol on trial at Ajax last year, signed a one-year deal with Fulham, paving the way for David Stockdale's inevitable loan move.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/11/2270347/csaba-somogyi-is-on-his-way-to-the-cottage?

WhiteJC

Swansea to miss out on Routledge after £2m offer for Fulham keeper Stockdale rejected

Swansea have had a £2m offer for 25-year-old Fulham goakeeper David Stockdale rejected and look likely to miss out on Newcastle winger Wayne Routledge.

Leicester are favourites to sign 26-year-old Routledge in a £1.5m deal ahead of QPR, West Ham, Birmingham, Cardiff and Nottingham Forest.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2013676/Swansea-miss-Wayne-Routledge-seeing-2m-offer-Fulham-keeper-David-Stockdale-rejected.html#ixzz1Rs3VZ300

WhiteJC

STEVE MCCLAREN TO SWOOP FOR JONATHAN GREENING

STEVE McCLAREN will bid £600,000 for Jonathan Greening to get him to link up with George Boateng at Nottingham Forest. He said: "I want role models because the squad is relatively young."

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/258255/Steve-McClaren-to-swoop-for-Jonathan-Greening?

WhiteJC

Crusaders striker warns of tough test
by DAN on JULY 12, 2011

Crusaders striker Michael Halliday says the Belfast side will be severely tested by the visit of Fulham in their Europa League tie on Thursday night.

A capacity crowd is expected at Seaview to see Crusaders take on Martin Jol's side and, although he's looking forward to the occasion, Halliday knows just how tough a task awaits against the Premier League side.

It is really massive for this club. Ever since the draw was made we have been dreaming about this game.

The fixture has generated a buzz and there should be a full house on Thursday. It is huge, and we are under no illusions. But at the same time we should be looking forward to a game against an English top-flight side. It puts Crusaders Football Club in the limelight.

The 32 year-old accepts the Irish League side are huge underdogs.

That's fair to say, paticularly when we play the second leg at Craven Cottage. But you never know in football. They say it is a funny old game and in a one-off game at Seaview anything can happen.

We obviously want to give a good account of ourselves and try and keep the tie alive for the second leg. We would love to make the two games as competitive as possible.

Halliday recalled his tough evening when he lined up against Manchester United in a pre-season friendly for Glentoran.

I was up against Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic that night and it is just a different level altogether. United played at a different pace and passed the ball around us.

We had to work hard to compete and it will be similar against Fulham on Thursday. We know it will be tough in both legs, but we are looking forward to the challenge of pitting our wits against an English Premier League club.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/crusaders-striker-warns-of-tough-test/?

WhiteJC

Stockdale set for Leeds switch
by DAN on JULY 12, 2011

David Stockdale is poised to join Leeds on a season-long loan.

The Daily Mirror reports that Martin Jol is happy to allow the 25-year-old to join his hometown club after completing the signing of Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi on a free transfer. Jol has decided to retain Australian veteran Mark Schwarzer as Fulham's number one but wants to loan Stockdale out so he can continue his impressive development, which has seen Fabio Capello include him in two England squads.

Jol has rebuffed an enquiry from newly-promoted Swansea as he sees Stockdale as the natural successor to 38 year-old Schwarzer at Craven Cottage. A move to another Premier League club on loan is out of the question as too as top flight rules do not allow a 24-hour recall clause. Stockdale has made thirteen appearances, including eight in the Premier League, since signing for Fulham in a £600,000 deal from Darlington in June 2008.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/stockdale-set-for-leeds-switch/?

WhiteJC

Better Know A Europa League Opponent: Crusaders F.C.

Club: Crusaders F.C.

Founded: 1898

Competition: Irish Football Association Premier League (Northern Ireland)

Ground: Seaview

Colors: Black and Red

Honors:  Irish Football League (1972-73, 1975-76, 1994-95, 1996-97), Irish Cup (1966-67, 1967-68, 2008-09), Irish League Cup (1996-97), and several regional honors.

2010 Season: 2nd Place in IFA Premier League, Runner-up in Irish Cup

Rather than put a couple of hours into research (because who really enjoys working), I figured I'd share some of the insights into Crusaders F.C.'s stadium improvements and hopes for the match that Lydia over at the prolific and profound Hammy End came upon while interviewing Stephen Bell, Chairman of Fulham's semi-professional opponents.

On how recent pitch upgrades have positively effected everything from finances to squad fitness:

"We are trying to improve the facilities for the fans. This ground about 2 or 3 years ago was nothing but terracing. We are trying to improve the team but also bring the stadium along with us. It's important to have the best possible facilities for the fans which is something that the Irish League has been lacking over the past 20 or even 30 years! The pitch itself is a real money generator for us. It also means that the team itself now is more physically fit. We are training more on it; we are not relying on other places now to train.

"Before we were going down to Jordanstown (University of Ulster, Jordanstown) but when the weather was bad training had to be called off so we think now our general fitness has improved. We never have to miss training now."

And will the new stadium be ready before the game, or will the match be played at Windsor Park?

"We are quite confident that the game will take place here. We have spent a lot of money and have put in a lot of hard work to make sure we can play European football here and having Fulham here now is a big opportunity just to push everybody on and make sure that the work is finished on time."

On Northern Irish internationals Aaron Hughes and Chris Baird serving as attractions:

"Well it does as it will help us pick up a few neutrals as certainly Northern Ireland supporters will want to come and watch the match. The game has generated a lot of interest too within Belfast, with a lot of media attention at the minute because it's a high profile game. It's probably our biggest game since we played Liverpool in 1977 and that's the way we are looking at it.

"Cup finals are big games for the club but having an English Premier League club coming is a fantastic opportunity for the club. I would just like to say as well that we have been trying to open the new stands by bringing a big club over with no success; so this tie will kill two birds with one stone. Fulham are coming over to play a competitive game and we will fill the place."

On the match:

"I think that our 4G pitch will give us an advantage and I think we will give Fulham a good game here. I'll not give you a result or score line but I think Fulham will find it very tough here, very intimidating. Supporters are so close to the pitch and there will be a full house and the atmosphere will be electric. We are aiming to make it a party atmosphere and that will be good for us as the atmosphere will be right on the touchline.

"We like to get the ball down and pass it with fast mobile players and a big centre forward who knows where the net is! So we are confident that we can get some sort of result here although Craven Cottage might be a different cup of tea! But we are delighted the first game is here and this will give us a chance to start the game and really show what we can do."

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/12/2271023/better-know-a-europa-league-opponent-crusaders-f-c?

WhiteJC

McClaren recruiting 'Dads Army' at Forest

Steve McClaren is ready to sign another Middlesbrough old boy with a £600,000 bid for Jonathan Greening.

Nottingham Forest boss McClaren wants Fulham midfielder Greening to join George Boateng in a reunion of ex-Riversiders.

Greening, 32, is prepared to leave Craven Cottage and McClaren could even offer him the captaincy in a bid to lure him to Forest.

Former Boro midfielder Boateng, 35, is training with Forest after leaving Greek side Skoda Xanthi last season and is considering a 12-month deal.

McClaren is also keen on signing free agent Bolo Zenden, 34, after his exit from Sunderland.

He said: "I want role models, because the squad is relatively young.

"We want to set Premier League standards from the beginning and, in terms of players we bring in, ideally we would like to have that experience."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Nottingham-Forest-look-to-add-experience-Fulhams-Jonathan-Greening-free-agent-Bolo-Zenden-also-offer-George-Boateng-deal-article764513.html#ixzz1Rs5Ld9hS

WhiteJC

Nicklas Bendtner 'in talks to leave' with Villa, Bolton, and Fulham waiting
Arsenal have confirmed Nicklas Bendtner is 'talking to other clubs', with Aston Villa, Fulham, Bolton and Newcastle thought to be interested.

The Danish striker and Manuel Almunia were left out of Arsenal's 23-man squad that travelled to Asia for a pre-season tour, and Arsene Wenger has revealed that the two have been left at home to sort out their futures.

'Both of them are possible departures,' said the manager.

'They are talking to other clubs at the moment. I cannot tell you which ones.'

Villa, Fulham, Bolton and Newcastle are all on the hunt for new firepower this summer, and early reports suggested Bendtner could be involved in a swap deal with Wanderers defender Gary Cahill.

However, the 23-year-old forward wasn't said to be keen on a move to the Reebok, and would favour a move abroad to either Borussia Dortmund or Sporting Lisbon, who have so far failed to match Arsenal £12million valuation.

Young defender Ignasi Miquel is another alternative to be used as a makeweight in the Cahill deal, as the Gunners could offer Bolton the Spaniard on a one-year loan.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/868961-nicklas-bendtner-in-talks-to-leave-with-aston-villa-bolton-and-fulham-waiting#ixzz1RoNKpe9q

WhiteJC

Hammers, Swansea want Gudjohnsen

Eidur Gudjohnsen looks set to remain in English football, but must choose between Premier League newcomers Swansea City and Championship side West Ham United.

Swansea have been desperately on the lookout for additional firepower ahead of their opening match against Manchester City and had hoped to tempt Gudjohnsen to Wales.

But Swansea's hopes of attracting the former Barcelona forward, who is a free agent, have been hit by West Ham's interest.

New West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has already persuaded one of his former players, Kevin Nolan, to drop down a division and is hopeful Gudjohnsen will follow suit.

Gudjohnsen scored 21 goals for Bolton under Allardyce in the 1999-2000 First Division season, with Bolton reaching the semi-finals of both the FA Cup and League Cup. He was then sold to Chelsea for £4 million.

But the 32-year-old forward's career has stalled since leaving Barcelona, with spells at AS Moncao, Tottenham Hotspour, Stoke City and Fulham in the past two seasons have mustered just two goals, for Spurs, and he failed to net in 2010-11 with a total of just 15 appearances.

His father Arnor was quoted as saying by The Sun: "I can confirm that both Swansea and West Ham have now offered contracts to Eidur.

"He is looking at both the offers."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/933882/swansea-and-west-ham-chase-eidur-gudjohnsen?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Owens laughs off Blackpool interest ahead of Fulham clash

No joke: Jordan Owens laughed off the Blackpool offer

Jordan Owens has dismissed Blackpool's offer to him as "disgraceful".

Crusaders manager Stephen Baxter and Owens both laughed off the offer that came through from Bloomfield Road for the striker and winger Stuart Dallas.

Both men will, however, have another opportunity to shine in front of cross-channel scouts when the Crues take on Fulham in the Europa League on Thursday.

For Crusaders players, the second qualifying round fixture is the match of their lives and they're counting down the minutes.

Owens can't wait to get running at Northern Ireland skipper Aaron Hughes at Seaview but he's still recovering from the cheeky bid from Blackpool.

"It wasn't a great deal and what they offered me and the club was not good enough," said Owens.

"The Crues were not prepared to accept the offer and what they offered me was disgraceful really.

"It was just not acceptable. It came down to their chairman offering a deal which Stephen (Baxter) laughed at himself.

"They didn't come back to us but we couldn't leave the Irish League and live on what they were offering.

"It's fine living here and being happy but you're taking a gamble going over there and you could be unhappy.

"I'm going to be a father soon and I told Stephen (Baxter) I would find it very hard to live on what they offered.

"I've another year and a half left on my contract and I'm happy here.

"The future is bright for Crusaders but it's also true that if you score a goal in a big game like this you never know who could be watching you.

"I'm sure there will be a lot of scouts there watching the players."

Crusaders have suffered a double blow ahead of the match with midfielders Chris Morrow and Declan Caddell being sidelined for the Fulham double-header after picking up injuries in recent friendly outings against Larne and Bangor, respectively.

But Owens, who is fit and raring to go, added: "There's a great atmosphere at the club and it will be a very big experience, particularly for the younger ones.

"We will be up for the task and it will certainly be interesting taking on a Premier League club.

"We'll be going for the win. We aren't going to say anything else as we will compete. The boys will be prepared for it.

"It's got the feeling of an Irish Cup final with the interest surrounding it. Me and Stuart (Dallas) weren't with Aaron (Hughes) and Chris (Baird) in the Northern Ireland squad for the Carling Cup matches but I'm sure they will know all about us.

"It will be a very different game than what we are used to coping with.

"They will have more time on the ball because they are good players."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/european/owens-laughs-off-blackpool-interest-ahead-of-fulham-clash-16022259.html?#ixzz1Rsw8nOzN

Lighthouse

FFC's Development Squad will compete in the Barclays Premier Reserve League South next season, starting on Aug 16 v Wigan @ Motspur Park.

The Club can confirm that Fulham Football Club's Development Squad will compete in the Barclays Premier Reserve League South next season.

Billy McKinlay's team will kick-off the new season against Wigan Athletic at Motspur Park (KO 7pm) before taking on the likes of Manchester United, Everton, Arsenal and Chelsea over the course of the 2011/12 season.

Next season supporters will be welcome to attend home fixtures that are scheduled to kick-off at 7pm at Motspur Park. Due to Club commitments at the Training Ground, afternoon home matches will be played behind closed doors.* 

Ticket prices for Development Squad matches at Motspur Park will be published on fulhamfc.com in due course.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/ReserveTeamFIxtures.aspx#ixzz1Rt9Osf9X
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Lighthouse

With Fulham gearing up for another season in the Barclays Premier League and a potential UEFA Europa League campaign, Mark Schwarzer is hoping the side will continue their remarkable progress over recent years.

Over the last three seasons Fulham have twice finished in the top ten and made a historic appearance in the Final of the UEFA Europa League and Schwarzer is certainly enjoying the expectations such good form brings.

"We've just got to keep backing up what we've been doing over the last few years," Schwarzer told fulhamfc.com. "The last three seasons have been, for Fulham Football Club and a lot of us personally, fantastic. It's possibly been the best three years in a lot of our careers. We need to continue that run.

"We believe that we belong in the top half of the Premier League and we like to think that we can mix it in Europe every couple of seasons.

"The expectation levels are always higher. When I first came here, the Club had just avoided relegation with 15 minutes to spare so anything above that was a bonus. To then finish seventh, then have such a great run in Europe and finish eighth last year means the expectations are there.

"We, as players, acknowledge that and we know that we need to live up to them. So far it's been a great challenge. If you look at the history of the Club and how much has been accomplished, particularly in the last three years – it's been outstanding.

"The Chairman's been 100% supportive and the Club wouldn't exist in the position it is now without the support of the Chairman. He's always been there and he's always been rock-solid for the Club. He's always looked to progress. In the years that I've been here, I've seen a lot of progression."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/SchwarzerGreatExpectations.aspx#ixzz1RtB3HxPW
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

Stockdale set for Whites loan

Fulham are set to give goalkeeper David Stockdale the green light to join Leeds on a season-long loan deal.

Cottagers chief Martin Jol has recently snubbed Premier League new boys Swansea's attempts to sign the highly-rated 25-year-old custodian on a permanent basis because he regards him as the long-term successor for current number one Mark Schwarzer at Craven Cottage.

However, the Dutch tactician has made no secret of his desire to send Stockdale out on loan to gain regular first-team experience.

And, following his signing of Hungarian goalkeeper Csaba Somogyi on a free transfer, it is set to pave the way clear for Stockdale to move out of Craven Cottage for the upcoming campaign.

A move to another Premier League club on loan is a non-starter as the rules do not allow a 24-hour recall clause.

Therefore, Championship side Leeds, who recently sold last season's number one Kasper Schmeichel to Leicester, are favourites to sign Stockdale, who has made 13 appearances, including eight in the Premier League, since signing for Fulham in a £600,000 deal from Darlington in June 2008.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/07/12/Stockdale-set-for-Whites-loan-switch1/gnid-100175/?

WhiteJC

Has Riise signed?
by DAN on JULY 12, 2011

Norwegian website NRK claims that John Arne Riise has successfully passed the infamous Fulham medical, signed his contract and trained with the team at Motspur Park today, but won't the transfer won't be formally announced until Friday.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/has-riise-signed/?

WhiteJC

Schwarzer demanding more from Fulham

Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer believes the club must continue to strive for bigger and better things after enjoying a period of unparalleled success.

The Cottagers have twice finished in the Barclays Premier League top 10 over the past three seasons and also made it to the Europa League final in 2010.

Schwarzer has proven a key figure during Fulham's recent success and has urged his team-mates to continue where they left off next season.

"We've just got to keep backing up what we've been doing over the last few years," he told the club's official website, fulhamfc.com.

"The last three seasons have been - for Fulham Football Club and a lot of us personally - fantastic, possibly the best three years in a lot of our careers.

"We need to continue that run. We believe we belong in the top half of the Premier League and we like to think that we can mix it in Europe every couple of seasons.

"The expectation levels are always higher. When I first came here, the club had just avoided relegation with 15 minutes to spare, so anything above that was a bonus.

"To then finish seventh [and] then have such a great run in Europe [in 2009-2010, when they got to the Europa League Final] and [then] finish eighth last year means the expectations are there.

"We, as players, acknowledge that and we know that we need to live up to them.

"So far it's been a great challenge. If you look at the history of the club and how much has been accomplished, particularly in the last three years - it's been outstanding."

Schwarzer has been with the club for three seasons now and was keen to praise chairman Mohamed Al Fayed for helping Fulham to their current position.

"The chairman's been 100 percent supportive and the club wouldn't exist in the position it is now without the support of the chairman," he added.

"He's always been there and he's always been rock-solid for the club. He's always looked to progress.

"In the years that I've been here, I've seen a lot of progression."

Meanwhile, Fulham confirmed today that its development squad will compete in the Barclays Premier Reserve League South next season.

Billy McKinlay's team will face the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal over the course of the 2011-12 season, with home matches taking place at the club's Motspur Park training base.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-news-Mark-Schwarzer-warns-against-complacency-urged-again-prove-belong-top-half-Premier-League-article764848.html#ixzz1Rtc9vGun

WhiteJC

English eyes on Gerndt
Premier League clubs tracking Swedish ace

Skysports.com understands Fulham, Blackburn and West Brom are all keen on Swedish ace Alexander Gerndt.

But the 24-year-old international striker seems more likely to be destined for Germany or Holland.

The Premier League trio are closely following the Helsingborg striker, who has scored 19 goals in his last 29 games.

However, whilst the English clubs are keen - and all watched him in action on Monday - it appears other clubs are further ahead with their interest.

Utrecht and FC Twente are both very keen, whilst German sides Cologne, Kaiserslautern and Wolfsburg are all also hot on his trail.

FC Copenhagen have made a firm offer too, but they have just signed Molde striker Pape Pate Diouf.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7033749,00.html?

WhiteJC

Baird gears up for Crusaders clash

CHRIS Baird expects Thursday night's welcome home in the Europa League to take the form of a good kicking from Crusaders defender Colin Coates.

The Fulham right-back and 6ft 1ins Coates clash in the quaintly named Seaview ground, although Baird reckoned the only view he will probably is his pal from the Northern Ireland set-up bearing down on him.

"We're reasonably good mates when playing for the country," said the Fulham man, "but I bet won't that stop him trying to kick us silly if he gets a chance."

Baird's tongue was only half in cheek as he and his team-mates expect a harder game than the breeze past NSI Runavik in the Faroes Islands last Thursday.

He added: "It will be nice to go home to play - but it will be tougher. There will be a lot of local pride there, so we're going to need to make sure we concentrate at all times."

Before Fulham clear a passage to a comfortable home leg next week, part-time Crusaders launched an appeal for fans to clear up the ground in time for the tie.

The club's web site has put out a call for anyone with a '...brush, shovel, cleaning rags, bucket, black bags (or industrial bags) to help in the clear up and make the ground ship-shape.'

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/07/12/baird-gears-up-for-crusaders-clash-64767-29039748/?