watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

First Team Needs

Started by Ordar, July 13, 2011, 11:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ordar

After the fantastic signing of John Arne Riise, a truly world class player, I'd be interested in what people think our first team needs in terms of improvement, and who people think we would be able to bring in.

I have our best first 11 as :

Schwarzer

Baird Hughes Hangeland JA Riise

Duff Murphy Sidwell Dempsey

Dembele Zamora

I still think Dempsey and Dembele would suit a position sway, but at the moment thats how I see us playing.

Baird would be unlucky to lose his place, but he isnt a wing back like Riise is, so there might be some movement there, although its not vital.

Murphy will need replacing in the next year or so, but he's still so important to how we play. Probably the hardest position to replace. Someone like Parker or Barton would be good for the role. If we thinking youth, that Barry Bannan at Villa looks a decent prospect, and people were impressed with Kerim Frei, although I admit to never seeing him play.

Theres also an argument for trying to turn Dempsey into a CM so we can put Dembele out wide and bring in a proper goalscorer.

To be fair, I'm fairly happy with the first 11, and the back up we have currently

FulhamMic

In my opinion we need a natural right-back and a poacher.

Whilst Baird performed admirably towards the end of last season it's not his natural position, and with the loss of Pantsil we definitely need to bring in another. What ever your thoughts on JP, he was far better than Kelly who is now our only natural right back.

For me, Dembele is not a striker and never has been. He plays much better and offers way more when he's out on the wing. If I had to play the team above I'd swap Dempsey and Dembele around; if not I'd bring in a poacher to play off Bobby Z and drop Dembele to the bench to use as an impact player. Whilst Dembele may be more technically gifted, I still believe at this point in his career Duff offers more and is far more consistent.

Just my two cents.

Lighthouse

We badly need a Central forward or two. A target player. BZ and AJ are our only real central players. So we need to strengthen that area. Yes Dembele and Dempsey can play there but I think they are better else where.

A right back would be nice, even as cover.

Other than that, mix and match and youth improvements.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Andy_M

I personally can't believe that we aren't seriously considering a move for Scott Parker whilst everyone else (Spurs, Villa etc.) are standing around scratching their arses. Spurs can't buy until they sell which doesn't look like happening any time soon, Villa don't seem to be all that interested although were initially linked.

He would be the perfect replacement for Murphy, who lets face it, as good as he has been and is simply can't last more than 60 minutes at Premiership pace anymore. Yes it probably would be cruel, but Jol has stated he want to bring in some younger players and Parker and Murphy could probably play together, with Murphy eventually being phased out for a Parker Sidwell partnership to be established. I think Murphy would also accept he simply can't last 90 minutes anymore.

I can't see a reason why Parker wouldn't want to come to us either, we are in London so he wouldn't have to uproot his family, we are an established Premier League team, we have a good squad, and now the serious prospect of European football again. Surely that's got to be an attractive prospect? I wouldn't think his wage demands would be astronomical either, as he strikes me as a Paul Scholes type player who just wants to play football and isn't particularly fussed about being paid the world to do so.

Anyone else thought similar to me?
@got_maile

TonyGilroy

The obvious reason why Parker hasn't been snapped up though is cost whether its wages, fee or both.

He's said to be on £60K per week on a 4 year deal. Bullard like he may have priced himself out of a move or at the least be waiting to see who will pay what he wants which may very well be not less than what he's getting.

I agree that he'd be a great player to get but don't agree that Murphy can't still hack it.

Andy_M

I'm not saying Murphy still can't hack it, my point is that he can't for 90 minutes, as was shown in the numerous games towards the end of last season where it was quick clear after 60 minutes his legs had gone and he couldn't keep up with the game. If that was the case last season where we weren't involved in a long Europa campaign starting in June, what will he be like this season?

I just felt he looked very leggy towards the end of the season, not that he can't hack it, his passing, tackling etc. I'm not questioning but it was very clear to me and those sitting around me that he wasn't keeping up with the game towards the end of the season in the second half of matches.
@got_maile

TonyGilroy

It's only opinion of course but I just disagree with that. It seemed to me that Murphy was often at his strongest towards the end of games.

Burt

Personally I still think we lack a bit of poke and depth up front.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 13, 2011, 12:18:39 PM

It's only opinion of course but I just disagree with that. It seemed to me that Murphy was often at his strongest towards the end of games.

I share Mr Tony's opinion. We have been saying Murph's legs are gone every year the last 3 season. I thought last year was one of his best ever. The fact that we had so many comebacks in the second half has a lot to do with Murphy and he can still play 90 mins all right.

There is still quite a bit of gas left in that tank me thinks. But yes, eventually he will have to be replaced with a younger player. Just do not think this is the season when it happens
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Andy_M

I seem to remember him being substituted several times towards the end of the season before the end of games.....

Or perhaps that was just mine and those around me's calls for him to be subbed....
@got_maile

cebu

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 13, 2011, 12:13:41 PM
The obvious reason why Parker hasn't been snapped up though is cost whether its wages, fee or both.

He's said to be on £60K per week on a 4 year deal. Bullard like he may have priced himself out of a move or at the least be waiting to see who will pay what he wants which may very well be not less than what he's getting.

I agree that he'd be a great player to get but don't agree that Murphy can't still hack it.

Over and above this, he's nearly 31!