watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

J A Risse - Great Signing v Average Age of Squad

Started by CULTUREVULTURE, July 13, 2011, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CULTUREVULTURE

Great signing who will add quality to the squad and be invaluable on any extended Euro run. But what about the average age of the squad - I thought the aim was to bring this down?

Mr Fulham

If you are able to bring in a player of Riise's quality the average age is nothing to worry about especially if he replaces Salcido, who is also a 1980-born.

In this case, I couldn't care less.

finnster01

Agree with Mr Fulham. Riise is quality.

How many 30 year olds has racked up 96 internationals? Granted, it is Norway, but he still has 20 caps more than Hangeland (and he is only 1 year younger)
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ToodlesMcToot

I was just considering the same thing and wondering if summer is the season of opposites for the Dutch or something.

First Jol says we need to get younger. So we sign a nearly 31 year old left back in JA Riise.

Then Jol says we don't need a keeper as he's going to challenge Stockdale to compete with Schwartzer for the starting job. So, what do we do? Sign a nobody Hungarian keeper and start looking for loan destinations for Stockdale.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that Jol's said categorically that we are not going to sign Kakuta permanently, that we aren't signing this Gerndt character, and that I'm not going to win the Mega-Millions lottery this weekend.  :54:
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

ElissonSnygg

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 13, 2011, 02:05:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing that Jol's said categorically that we are not going to sign Kakuta permanently, that we aren't signing this Gerndt character, and that I'm not going to win the Mega-Millions lottery this weekend.  :54:

Haha, agree.  :clap_hands:
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

FulhamMic

I really don't see what the problem is. Riise is six months younger than Salcido thereby achieving Jol's aim of lowering the average age of the squad and to boot he's replacing a suspect (at best) Mexican with a proven Norwegian whose competed at the highest level. I tip my hat to Jol.

SCFulhmFan

Lighthouse

Jol says many things, speaks with forked tongue.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: FulhamMic on July 13, 2011, 02:34:03 PM
I really don't see what the problem is. Riise is six months younger than Salcido thereby achieving Jol's aim of lowering the average age of the squad and to boot he's replacing a suspect (at best) Mexican with a proven Norwegian whose competed at the highest level. I tip my hat to Jol.

I don't see that anyone has a real problem with JAR. Quality signing, plain and simple. And a very good move for us IMO.

For the most part, I think most are having fun with Jol's categorical statements about youth movements and such and how that hasn't exactly been the reality.  089.gif
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

richie17

as discussed before, I think you want experience at the back and youth up front.  Really good signing.

FulhamMic

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 13, 2011, 02:49:50 PMFor the most part, I think most are having fun with Jol's categorical statements about youth movements and such and how that hasn't exactly been the reality.  089.gif

I totally get that, which is why I was being pedantic.

Jol has signed two players, a quality defender in a position where we're in dyer need of some real quality. And a 26 year old goalie who in a goalkeeping context is young, and is considerably younger than the outgoing 40 year Zuberbuhler he's replacing.

Lets see where we are come September 1st shall we before judging Jol, his comments and his acquisitions.

Steve_orino

Quote from: richie17 on July 13, 2011, 03:19:06 PM
as discussed before, I think you want experience at the back and youth up front.  Really good signing.

lol, just read an article yesterday about that theory and how Sir Red-Nose continues to rack up silverware with expericence in goal & how Arse uses a 3-headed monster of goalies and comes up empty handed.

Agree, though.  Would like to see us get younger up top.  Trust the experience of an older back-line & keeper.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09