watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Roys view on OKaka

Started by DevonFFC, February 28, 2010, 07:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevonFFC

I cannot make up my mind whether he likes him and feels his a valuable member of the squad who can make a difference.

Either he is still trying to break him into the first team and build the cohesion like he did with Elm

Or

He does not feel that he fits the style we play and will use him when needed sparingly, thus keeping a possible transfer fee down??

Brede Butter Pudding

We will not buy Okaka on a permanent deal. This has never been an option for us, he will either leave us and return to Roma at the end of the season or he will stay with us for another season on loan. However, he will not be joining us on a permanent basis.

FatFreddysCat

As much as i admire Woy, he does some seriously weird signings EG barnes, Littamen and Okaka looks like adding to that list. What's the point of  getting a young loanee in to cover the injuries we've had if you aint going to play him. And how bad for his confidence must it be to see a sunday league player like Elm get a run out in front of him. And make no mistake Elm is no more a premiership player than i am, though he seems a genuine 100% player and a nice fella, he just aint got it. Okaka despite a few howlers from close range could actually be a good un, but this loan move must be a nightmare for him. :(

DevonFFC

any chance of a another years full loan is out the window now, as if he isnt playing he isnt going to sigh away another year.

Brede Butter Pudding

I seriously disagree FFC - On what basis are you saying that Elm isn't good enough? With the limited opportunities he has had he has excelled, shown by his performance against Burnley when he scored our opener and got an assist with a quality header. In the game against Villa he had a perfectly good volley wrongly ruled out for offside and is a very useful asset to the team. Given more opportunities I think he will only improve, a poor man's Peter Crouch IMO. And with Okaka, I believe him to be very much a work in progress. I would be surprised if we do not hang onto him for another season beyond this one, as I suspect that Roy is using this season and the coming summer to really trim him into a quality Premiership footballer. At the moment he is still very raw, doesn't speak a word of English and is really only there for extreme back up. I have to admit, I would have liked to have seen him today come on around 75 minutes to add a bit of pace to our front line, but Roy knows far more than any of us do and he makes his own decisions. I do not believe that Okaka will be another Litamen or Barnes signing, and the fact that Okaka has already made a number of first team appearances and has scored in a white shirt only reinforces the fact that he will play a part in first team proceedings at some point.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on February 28, 2010, 09:21:15 PM
I seriously disagree FFC - On what basis are you saying that Elm isn't good enough? With the limited opportunities he has had he has excelled, shown by his performance against Burnley when he scored our opener and got an assist with a quality header. In the game against Villa he had a perfectly good volley wrongly ruled out for offside and is a very useful asset to the team. Given more opportunities I think he will only improve, a poor man's Peter Crouch IMO. And with Okaka, I believe him to be very much a work in progress. I would be surprised if we do not hang onto him for another season beyond this one, as I suspect that Roy is using this season and the coming summer to really trim him into a quality Premiership footballer. At the moment he is still very raw, doesn't speak a word of English and is really only there for extreme back up. I have to admit, I would have liked to have seen him today come on around 75 minutes to add a bit of pace to our front line, but Roy knows far more than any of us do and he makes his own decisions. I do not believe that Okaka will be another Litamen or Barnes signing, and the fact that Okaka has already made a number of first team appearances and has scored in a white shirt only reinforces the fact that he will play a part in first team proceedings at some point.
Elm is mid Championship level at best. Burnley are hardly a great team, i'd score against them.He was offside against Villa so the volley is irrevant.Why get a work in progress when we neede a forward who was ready? And how is he going to learn his trade with splinters up his arse.He dosen't as you say speak a word of English, he's not playing, so why are we paying his wages? Roma are glad to be shot of a reserve team player and his wages.I just think it's a weird signing. Has he got the same agent as Jari and Giles?Highly unlikely i know, but something stinks like the Marlet signing with them two. :(

Brede Butter Pudding

I wouldn't say he's reserve team at all. He's only 20 years old, has played for his country and is a regular substitute for Roma's first team. They knew that he would get more opportunities at Fulham's first team than at Roma's and so gave us the opportunity to take him. And regarding Elm, I would like to see whether you have changed your opinion of him once he's given a decent run in the team. Currently he is being limited to substitute appearances behind Gera and Bobatov which I think is right considering how well they have done together. However, Elm and Bobatov up front cause problems and I for one would like to see a bit more of their partnership developing.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on February 28, 2010, 09:48:29 PM
I wouldn't say he's reserve team at all. He's only 20 years old, has played for his country and is a regular substitute for Roma's first team. They knew that he would get more opportunities at Fulham's first team than at Roma's and so gave us the opportunity to take him. And regarding Elm, I would like to see whether you have changed your opinion of him once he's given a decent run in the team. Currently he is being limited to substitute appearances behind Gera and Bobatov which I think is right considering how well they have done together. However, Elm and Bobatov up front cause problems and I for one would like to see a bit more of their partnership developing.
But he's not getting more opportunities here. I cant believe you rate Elm, i dont dislike him, he tries hard, but he just isn't in a million years a Premiership player........A regular Sub for Roma , big deal, over two legs and with out a crooked ref we were miles better than Roma, so we have got a sub from an inferior team? Though, i would like to see the Irisman come on as sub, rather than Elm, We should have got an expeiranced player for six months rather than waste Oakas time.

Yarden

FFC is right here, to be honest he has surprised me a bit, but he is not PL quality. Not sure he would be a starter in any championship clubs either.

W@T

Elm came on for Bobby as he was in danger of getting a sceond yellow card.

Elm is Bobby's backup as the 'Hold up' player. So why bring on Okaka?

Okaka is currently more a replacement for Gera who Roy was hardly to replace while the scores were level.

Okaka has normally come on when Roy is chasing goals or resting a forward or both.
Like he did against Bolton away.

So he must be in the Managers thinking...

Also Elm has been training with Roy this past week when Okaka wasn't.

Infact Okaka has missed quite a few training sessions (when Elm didnt) these past two weeks due to his inclusion in Italy U21 training camp and then missing the trip to Donestk.

Tom

I really hope Okaka is back next year. I think he is going to be very good and has a lot of potential. I think Roy is just letting him settle into the team.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: W@T on February 28, 2010, 10:20:54 PM
Elm came on for Bobby as he was in danger of getting a sceond yellow card.

Elm is Bobby's backup as the 'Hold up' player. So why bring on Okaka?

Okaka is currently more a replacement for Gera who Roy was hardly to replace while the scores were level.

Okaka has normally come on when Roy is chasing goals or resting a forward or both.
Like he did against Bolton away.

So he must be in the Managers thinking...

Also Elm has been training with Roy this past week when Okaka wasn't.

Infact Okaka has missed quite a few training sessions (when Elm didnt) these past two weeks due to his inclusion in Italy U21 training camp and then missing the trip to Donestk.

But Okaka hasn't usually come on ???.Yarden is from Norway i believe and would know better than us how good Elm is.

Lighthouse

It's not about Elm OR Okaka as they both do different jobs. Elm is not sent on to score goals but to slow the game up,hold on to the ball, back to goal and feed the midfield. A job he does well enough.

Okaka is a head down, facing goal, direct and fast.

We clearly had no intention today of doing anything else but playing for a draw. Both players have their good points. Elm is useful. Is he a Prem player? Yes because he plays for us. Is he a player that will last long as a first teamer? No.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

NorfolkJim

While I puzzle over some of these signings as well, I think we need to remember that theres more to it than just what happens on the pitch. I'd imagine a lot of the time these loanees come in so that they can evaluated for their all round suitability for Roys style of play and management. Are they good in the dressing room? Do they have the right temperament for Roy as a manager (It was clear from early on Bullard didnt fit that bill)? Are they hardworking on the training field and do they retain the instruction given?
It takes time to see how they'll fit in, and if it works great, if not, too bad. Kind of try before you buy.
IMO this is a much better way than forking out big sums on players and trying to man manage talented individuals. You can see that under Roy we've built up a squad of hard working honest team players devoud of superstars and prima donnas. Great

SuffolkWhite

Roy is a canny manager and I think NorfolkJim has put his finger on it.
Look at Riise, started slowly and gets games every so often and subs roles. When he does play he has done ok. How much did we buy him for, and he can do a job for us.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

AlFayedsChequebook

Norfolk Jim is 100% correct. Okaka came in at a time when we were desperate for strikers. Now we have Zoltan and Bobby back he resumes his place on the bench.

Meanwhile, Roy gets to look at him in training and evaluate. Imagine if we had splashed out on Barnes last year. He was released by Derby this season. Roy correctly judged that Barnes did not have the right attitude and didn't bid, Okaka has got some game time but is a) young and b) coming from a different league. Why not try before we buy?

clintclintdeuce

Well, I would say that Elm is a good player to have in a squad, but by no means has the pace to start week in and week out at a Premiership level. He is doing his job at the minute, being an emergency hold up striker, which we desperately need.

Okaka has the raw ability, and can be molded.... hopefully he comes good, its only been a month mind you... it took years for Zamora to score regularly.

Also worth a shout is that Roy is fluent in Italian, and should be easily able to directly communicate all direction to the young lad... and anyone else with a general ability to speak Spanish will also be able to communicate relatively well.

The Dude abides.

TonyGilroy

The people who were calling for Elm to be given a chance now seem to be of the opinion that he's not good enough.

I reckon that for hold up play he's Zamora lite and therefore an excellent guy to bring off the bench to replace a tiring Zamora.

Had we gone behind at Sunderland I'd guess we'd have seen Okaka but we got what we wanted Sunday and Roy wasn't going to risk defeat by going for the win. I think we'll see more of Okaka when we do need to turn games round but the less he plays the more likely it is that Roy's not that impressed.

LRCN

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on March 01, 2010, 08:50:05 AM
Well, I would say that Elm is a good player to have in a squad, but by no means has the pace to start week in and week out at a Premiership level. He is doing his job at the minute, being an emergency hold up striker, which we desperately need.

I'd agree with that. I'd be concerned if he was a starter but he's a decent enough 4th/5th choice striker. And of course he has two younger brothers who can play a bit...

sylvain

I thought Elm was brought on board primarily to tempt his brother over (ie Rasmus) who by all accounts is a star in the making...

David is better than you make out though - someone said poor mans Peter Crouch which I think may be spot on. To say he's not premiership quality I think is foolish - I mean the premiership used to boast atleast a player a team who you'd say was a "Quality Striker". I can't think of one for Bolton, Hull, West Ham (excluding Cole perhaps), Burnley, Pompey or Blackburn that I'd readily say was a "Quality Striker" and one that I'd back to score, say, 1 in 2. You've got to put Elm in the Kalinic for Blackburn bracket - give him time and he'll score goals (its inevitable) but we'd probably get more goals and sooner from a "Quality Striker"