more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (16/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 16, 2011, 07:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Job Half Done

Another three goal burst from the boys as Jol again fields a very strong side in Belfast. Europa League progress continues ahead of the big guns

So our premiership superstars barely get their trunks out from the bottom of the sock draw before they're back to the rigours of pre-season. Or in Fulham's case, immediate match action.

Let's not shed too many tears for our bunch of superfit fine young athletes ( and some now no longer quite so young) as they laugh all the way to the bank. What's a few more circuits at Motspur in midsummer heat when you know by the end of the month your missus will find another hundred grand nestling in the family bank account.

© PA Images

Again we served up a fine performance against a Crusaders outfit who bust a gut to give their own fans a night to remember. Class told in the end of a game we totally dominated, and there's nothing better than seeing your name on the scoresheet ahead of the season proper. What can I tell you of goings on down at the club that you won't find elsewhere on the net?

Not a thing. Even if our boys have now been back at work for a fortnight, your blogger's own vacation has only just started. That means while the players went about their task in Belfast yours truly was negotiating his way round the Lyon ring road en route to the South of France. I shall now be dipping my toes in the Med and stuffing myself with fine wines and the best gourmet dishes Lidl has to offer for the next 3 weeks.

Reporting will be regular, and hopefully, still entertaining, from the cosy premises of my local internet cafe down by the marina for the interim. It is highly likely that for once when it comes to all things Fulham, we shall have to concede the high ground to the BBC - but only for a short while.

Time for my sun cream nursey, so let me sign off by saying I continue to sense Jol has his hand on the tiller and will steer a steady course up to the Villa game on the 13th. He knows where he wants to strengthen, we'll never be in the market for all the mega-moves currently being traded, but even if we failed to make one additional signing, the core eleven at FFC still remains a damn fine side!
We've still to see Dempsey (only just back in training) and Dembele added to the mix. I just hope the club do the right thing by Stockdale. Must just say big shout out to Briggs for his first senior goal - sounded pretty special by all accounts. Now, proving that the camera often deceives (wait till I post up some holiday snaps of me in my new bathing shorts) this new all white kit with the black vertical stripe has the effect of making the boys seem like giants.

PA's photo of Briggsy celebrating his goal that accompanies the BBC report (reproduced here)...I thought I was looking at Frank Bruno!

Whatever you're doing this summer - enjoy! Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/07/job_half_done.php?

WhiteJC

JOL WILL LET SALCIDO LEAVE

Fulham manager Martin Jol has revealed he will allow defender Carlos Salcido to leave the club if he receives the right offer.

The Mexico international has struggled to establish himself in the first-team at Craven Cottage since moving from PSV Eindhoven last summer.

Salcido appears to have dropped down the pecking order with the Cottagers following the arrival of former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise this week.

And with the emergence of youngster Matthew Briggs, the 31-year-old full-back's days in west London appear to be numbered.

Jol said: "It depends on the conditions. We've only got 17 or 18 senior pros left and a lot of youngsters.

"Our second XI is not good enough yet. If we don't get the right deal for Salcido he will stay

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/15/manual_123951.html

WhiteJC

Jol has mixed emotions after Crusaders win

Fulham boss Martin Jol admitted his side has plenty of room for improvement after their 3-1 win over Crusaders on Thursday night.

Goals from Matthew Briggs, Bobby Zamora and Danny Murphy earned the Cottagers victory in their Europa League second round first leg qualifying clash in a game played on a plastic pitch.

But the Irish side gave Jol's team a scare as they pulled themselves level to cancel out Briggs' strike to give the Fulham boss plenty to think about as preparations continue for the start of the new season next month.

Jol said: "In hindsight you could say if you score three goals away from home it's okay.

"That (the pitch) was always the problem, so you have to motivate yourself and we said before the game they will be battling for the first 60, maybe 70 minutes and then it's probably over," he said.

"It was okay, the hotel was fine, the only problem was maybe the pitch, but hopefully tomorrow everybody will say it was good experience."

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/jol-has-mixed-emotions-after-crusaders-win-1240419.html?

WhiteJC

Croatian draw for Prem pair
Stoke and Fulham could both find themselves having to travel to Split in the third qualifying round of the Europa League.

Stoke know their fate already, with a clash against Hajduk Split already decided, while Fulham may have to face RNK Split if they can get past Domzale of Slovenia.

The Cottagers won the first leg of their second round clash with Crusaders 3-1 on Thursday while RNK Split were winning their away leg 2-1 to make them favourites to progress.

Hearts will take on either Hungarian side Paksi or Tromso of Norway.

And Dundee United could face Metalurg Skopje of Macedonia or Levski Sofia of Bulgaria if they get through their second round clash.

The Tannadice side have an uphill task, though, having gone down 1-0 to Slask Wroclaw in Poland on Thursday.

The Europa League third Qualifying Round draw is as follows:

Third Qualifying Round

Atletico Madrid v Stromsgodset Young Boys v TPS/Westerlo Shakhter/FK Ventspils v Crvena Zvezda Alania Vladikavkaz v Kecskemeti TE/Aktobe Floriana/AEK v Mlada Boleslav Zeljeznicar Sarajevo/FC Sheriff v Khazar Lenkoran/Maccabi Tel Aviv AZ v Flamurtari/Jablonec Olimpija Ljubljana/Bohemians v Rudar Pljevlja/FK Austria Vienna Bursaspor v Gomel Ferencvaros/Aalesund v FK Suduva/IF Elfsborg Minsk/Gaziantepspor v Legia Warsaw Hapoel Tel-Aviv v FC Vaduz/Vojvodina Olimpi Rustavi/Irtysh v Rennes Levski Sofia v SK Tirana/FC Spartak Trnava The New Saints FC/FC Midtjylland v Guimaraes Dinamo Bucuresti v FC Iskra-Stal/Varazdin Karpaty Lviv v Shakhtyor Karaganda/St Patricks Vllaznia Shkoder/FC Thun v Palermo KR Reykjavik/MSK Zilina v Llanelli/Dinamo Tbilisi Omonia Nicosia v FC Tauras/ADO Den Haag SK Liepajas Metalurgs/SV Red Bull Salzburg v FK Senica Club Brugge v EB Streymur/FK Qarabag FC 03 Differdange/Levadia Tallinn v Rad Belgrade/Olympiacos Volou Mainz v KUPS Kuopio/Gaz Metan UE Sant Julia/Bnei Yehuda v Helsingborgs IF Stoke v Hajduk Split FC Gagra/Anorthosis Famagusta v Juvenes/Dogana/Rabotnicki Kometal Orebro SK/FK Sarajevo v Sparta Prague Glentoran/Vorskla Poltava v Sligo Paks/Tromso v Hearts Metalurg/Lokomotiv Sofia v Slask Wroclaw/Dundee Utd FH Hafnarfjordur/Nacional v BK Hacken/FC Honka SV Ried v Brondby PAOK Salonika v Mika Ashtarak/Valerenga Domzale/RNK Split v Crusaders/Fulham

Third round ties to be played 28 July and 4 August.

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/7037999/?

WhiteJC

£9M BID ON THE TABLE

The often controversial Nicklas Bendtner looks set to leave Arsenal this summer, with Arsene Wenger even admitting he is in talks with other clubs. Despite never truly endearing himself to the Arsenal fans, Bendtner has enjoyed four solid seasons for Arsenal since returning from his loan move to Birmingham in the 2006-07 season. Having scored 22 goals in 98 league appearances for the Gunners, many of which were coming off the bench, his stats provide proof that he is a player of Premiership quality, though perhaps his mentality and work ethic are not quite there yet.

It had been initially thought that Bendtner was headed to Germany, with the Daily Mail and SkySports claiming Borussia Dortmund and Hamburg had both expressed interest in the player, and Dortmund were believed to have had an offer in the region of £9M accepted. However, Arsenal have now confirmed that Premier League clubs Aston Villa, Fulham, Bolton and Newcastle are also all in talks with the Danish striker, according to the Metro.

With Arsenal seemingly more concerned with keeping stars such as Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas at the club, it looks as if Bendtner will leave without much opposition from the club. Whilst Villa could definitely use another presence up front, and Newcastle have yet to find a replacement for Andy Carroll, Bendtner seems to prefer a move to German champions Dortmund, a move which would see him able to continue playing in the Champions League, and providing they can agree a fee with Arsenal, it seems as if Bendtner may be leaving the Premier League this summer.

http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/07/premiership/arsenal/9m-bid-on-the-table

White Noise

Zamora ready for his Holls

By MIKE McGRATH

Published: Today

BOBBY ZAMORA has been backed to get his England career back on track when Holland visit next month.

The striker earned his first cap last year before missing five months of Fulham's season with a broken leg.

Zamora, 30, scored in the 3-1 Europa League win at Crusaders on Thursday and could have six competitive games under his belt before the Dutch arrive at Wembley on August 10.

Team-mate Chris Baird said: "I don't see any reason why Bobby would not be in the squad.

"If he keeps scoring goals like the one against Crusaders he has got every chance."

New boss Martin Jol has been impressed with Zamora since taking over at Craven Cottage.

The Dutchman said: "He's a great targetman.

"We are not 100 per cent fit yet but he is scoring goals - and as long as he's scoring goals then I'm happy with him.

"If he doesn't we've all got a problem as a team. He had an injury last year so he is coming back.

"He's going to get fitter and if he is fit he is a terrific player."

Fulham will play Domzale from Slovenia or Croatian side RNK Split in the next round if they protect their lead against Crusaders.

Baird is not taking their place for granted.

He added: "We expect a battle at home because the game is not over.

"They made it hard for us in the first leg and they are a good team, so it will be hard for us next Thursday."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3698151/Bobby-Zamora-tipped-for-England-recall.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1SFcvnxjM

White Noise

Fulham's crack at Zac

FULHAM have offered £1.5million for Italy right-back Christian Zaccardo, 30.

Parma supremo Tomasso Ghirardi warned: "He is very important to us. We will find it difficult to let him go."

Meanwhile, Jordan Slew, 18, has rejected a £500,000 move to Craven Cottage and signed a new two year deal at Sheffield United.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3698151/Bobby-Zamora-tipped-for-England-recall.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1SFdE8EDb

White Noise

Chelsea and Fulham fight over Wycombe kid

Published 22:59 15/07/11

By Darren Lewis

Chelsea are monitoring highly-rated Wycombe starlet Kadeem Harris.

The 18-year-old midfielder only signed professional forms in April but is seen as one of the hottest talents in the country.

Harris became the youngest player to ever appear for Wycombe when he made his debut on Boxing Day 2009 at the age of 16 years and 201 days.

He was named League Two's Apprentice of the Year last season and attracted rave reviews for his performances.

Chelsea's west London neighbours Fulham have already had a £50,000 bid turned down for Harris, but new boss Martin Jol is expected to return with an improved offer.

Wycombe boss Gary Waddock admits he will try to fast-track the teenager into his side in a bid to keep him at the club.

He said last week: "We want to bring the young players through. He debuted a while back and has been on the bench and with the first team squad.

"Whether he breaks through is up to him, but he's working very hard."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Chelsea-Fulham-both-tracking-Kadeem-Harris-15-year-old-Wycombe-midfield-prodigy-article769007.html#ixzz1SFdTzbB6

White Noise

Fulham line up £2m Italy defender

Published 23:00 15/07/11

By John Cross

Fulham boss Martin Jol is tracking Parma's Italy international defender Cristian Zaccardo with an eye to a cut-price move.

The 30-year-old, who has 17 caps, is available for around £2million and is also interesting clubs elsewhere in Serie A and in Germany.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Fulham-track-2m-Parma-and-Italy-defender-Cristian-Zaccardo-also-wanted-clubs-Italy-Germany-article768762.html#ixzz1SFdoLmEJ

White Noise

Liverpool, Newcastle and Fulham line up teenage striker

Published 22:59 15/07/11

By Football Spy

Bournemouth have offered teenage striker Danny Ings his FIFTH new contract in a year to fend off interest from Liverpool, Newcastle, Fulham and Celtic.

The 18-year-old has already provoked bids from Fulham and Crystal Palace after scoring eight goals in his debut season.

Bournemouth manager Lee Bradbury said: "We gave him his last contract in February and said he could rip it up if he continued to progress... and he has."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Liverpool-Newcastle-Fulham-eye-teen-striker-Danny-Ings-been-offered-fifth-new-deal-in-12-months-to-stay-Bournemouth-article769047.html#ixzz1SFe8pqDa

White Noise

http://aggbot.com/link.php?id=14259893&r=tw&c=43

QPR boss Warnock admits Campbell talks stalled

15.07.11 | tribalfootball.com

QPR boss Neil Warnock admits their move for Blackpool striker DJ Campbell has stalled.

After bolstering their forward options with the signing of Jay Bothroyd on a free transfer this week, Rangers are keen to further strengthen up front ahead of their return to the Premier League this season.

But discussions with Seasiders forward Campbell have ground to a halt and Warnock is unsure where they stand on the 29-year-old, who has also been linked with Fulham, Aston Villa and West Ham United.

He told Sky Sports News: "I think the clubs have agreed but I don't think we can agree with his advisors (on) certain fees.

"I'm afraid that's life as a manager nowadays. It's very difficult to actually get things over the line. I leave that to other people but it's not happened.

"I think at the moment it's on ice. I'm looking around all over as well. We've got one or two irons in the fire. "

Even if a Campbell deal fails to materialise, Warnock believes he has a quality striker at his disposal in new-boy Bothroyd.

"To get Jay in on a Bosman is really a good bit of business for us," he added. "He's a top striker.

"I didn't think we'd get him, I thought one of the bigger clubs would snap him up. I've pestered him over the past six weeks, him and his missus, and he's caved in.

"I do think its right for him. I think he's got to be playing week in, week out rather than be in a squad. I don't see anything better than him in the Premier League and we're really, really pleased to have him."

WhiteJC

Foundation Volleyball Tournament

On Friday 1st July, eleven teams representing Fulham Football Club Foundation ventured to Sandwell Valley Park Farm in the West Midlands for the Volleyball England National Premier League 4 Sport Tournament (PL4S).

Over 65 teams and 350 young people took part in the Under 14s and Under 16s games. The matches were run with support from the Albion Foundation and Sandwell Borough Council.

Members of the GB Women's Volleyball team and 2012 Olympic hopefuls Grace Carter, Rachel Laybourne and Megan Viggars were on hand throughout the day to help give advice and coaching tips to those taking part in order to improve their skills and techniques.

It was a day of mixed fortunes for the eleven Fulham sides that took part. The groups were split into Under 14s and Under 16s boys and girls' teams and the players fought hard to attain the Tournament titles but were not able to overcome some strong opposition.

Steven Day, CEO of the Fulham FC Foundation commented: "Fulham FC Foundation is proud to be delivering such a range of activities within local communities, and the PL4S programme provides a great opportunity for young people to access different, exciting sports that may not always be readily available. For 11 teams to attend the national tournament, it is a great achievement."

Siobhan Atkinson, Community Development Executive from the Premier League added: "The PL4S National Volleyball tournament was a great success. To see how the event has grown in 12 months both in terms of the number of teams entered and the standard of play was fantastic. It was a superb day out for all the young people, coaches and young officials."

Stuart Johnson, Head of Development at Volleyball England, stated: "This tournament was a great success and has hopefully inspired all the young people to continue playing volleyball and hopefully recruit more young people to the sport. With 2012 around the corner Volleyball is increasing in popularity; and we are looking to capitalise on the success of the PL4Sport project."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/FoundationVolleyballTournament.aspx?#ixzz1SGlCUlN5

WhiteJC

Baird Concededes Crusaders Game Was 'Tough'
by LORK on JULY 16, 2011

A few words on the official website by defender Chris Baird on his return to Belfast. He says:

"It was a hard game for us and they certainly made it tough. We're delighted to get a 3-1 win and be able to take them back to the Cottage next Thursday.

"The Manager told us what to expect and I knew what to expect being from here – they made it hard for us and we knew we were in for a game. Fortunately we got two more goals to finish the first leg off.

Him and Hughes used their knowledge of Northern Irish football to warn the team not to expect an easy tie:

"Aaron Hughes and I knew what to expect and we said to a few of the lads that it was going to be a tough game and they would be right on top of us. We weren't wrong and they made it hard for us but we were very professional.

"It was nice to come back [to Belfast], although I'd never played at Seaview before. I really enjoyed it but the win is the most important thing. We got the job done and we'll take them back to the Cottage next week.

"We're on the grass at the Cottage next week so we'll be on a better surface and we're very good at home. Hopefully we'll get the job done and progress through to the next round."

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/07/baird-concededes-crusaders-game-was-tough/?

WhiteJC

Jol impressed by Zamora
Fulham boss pays tribute to striker

Zamora: Returning to full fitness and has made a good impression on Jol

Fulham manager Martin Jol has praised Bobby Zamora and feels there will be more to come when he reaches full fitness.

The striker spent part of last season on the sidelines with a broken leg before returning to form towards the end of the campaign.

He is now working his way back to peak condition after a summer break and scored in the 3-1 Europa League qualifying win at Crusaders on Thursday.

Jol has been impressed by what he has seen from the 30-year-old since taking charge at Craven Cottage and is excited about what the future could hold.

The Dutchman recognises Zamora's importance to the team, though, admitting that Fulham could struggle if he loses form or fitness.

"He's a great target man," said Jol in The Sun.

"We are not 100 per cent fit yet but he is scoring goals - and as long as he's scoring goals then I'm happy with him.

"If he doesn't we've all got a problem as a team. He had an injury last year so he is coming back.

"He's going to get fitter and if he is fit he is a terrific player."

England backing

Zamora was called up to the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland at the end of last season and Fulham team-mate Chris Baird hopes he will remain part of Fabio Capello's plans for the friendly with Holland next month.

"I don't see any reason why Bobby would not be in the squad," said Baird.

"If he keeps scoring goals like the one against Crusaders he has got every chance."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7041129,00.html?

WhiteJC

Youngster Opts to Stay!

According to reports, Fulham`s pursuit of the Sheffield United youngster, Jordan Slew, has ended.

Despite offering United a fee of £500,000 for the eighteen year old, Slew has opted to sign a new contract with the Yorkshire club.

I guess you can`t win them all!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247479#ixzz1SGm9LsdC

WhiteJC

Italian Targeted!

The tabloid press, this morning, are adamant that Fulham are on the trail of an Italian defender.

The player in our sights is the Parma right-back, Christian Zaccardo.

At thirty-years of age Zaccardo has the experience we`re looking for and a fee of £1.5 million is mentioned.

But it doesn`t look as if it will all be plain-sailing with the Parma president, Tomasso Ghirardi, remarking about any deal,

"He is very important to us. We will find it difficult to let him go."

Time will tell, money often talks!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247480#ixzz1SGmNu3LQ

WhiteJC

And Next Up Will Be?

We`re leading 3-1 against Crusaders as we head into the second leg next Thursday.

Barring a disaster we should ease into the third qualifying round.

Yesterday the draw paired us with either Domzale (from Slovenia) or RNK Split.

A bit more interesting than Belfast or the Faroe Islands don`t you think!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247482#ixzz1SGmcu7bl

WhiteJC

England`s #9

One advantage of participating, this early, in the Europa League qualifiers, is that come August and the big kick-off, there`s a chance we should be on top of our form when it comes to fitness and sharpness.

There`s also the added bonus that Bobby Zamora, who had an injury hit season last time out, could very well be up and running and amongst the goals and with an international, against Holland coming up, very much in the plans of Fabio Capello.

Chris Baird sees no reason why Bobby shouldn`t come back into the England picture, commenting,

"I don`t see any reason why Bobby would not be in the squad."

And as for his manager, Martin Jol had this to say about Zamora,

"He`s a great target man."

"We are not 100per cent fit yet but he is scoring goals - and as long as he`s scoring goals then I`m happy with him."

"If he doesn`t we`ve all got a problem as a team. He had an injury last year so he is coming back."

"He is going to get fitter and if he is fit he is a terrific player."

Are you watching Fabio?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247483#ixzz1SGmprpzR

WhiteJC

Thwarted?

A while ago we mentioned how Fulham were tracking the Bournemouth teenage striker, Danny Ings.

Interest in the eighteen year old who scored eight times last season, his debut season, wasn`t confined to ourselves with Celtic, Liverpool and Newcastle also keen to land him.

But Bournemouth seem mighty keen to keep him on their books as we understand the south coast club has just given the youngster his fifth new contract to keep him at the club.

Remember the name, this lad has something about him!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=247486#ixzz1SGn4oVK1

WhiteJC

Athens in Gudjohnsen bid

Greek side AEK Athens have made an eleventh-hour bid to prise Eidur Gudjohnsen from the clutches of West Ham.

The Greek side are understood to have sent representatives to London in a bid to hijack Gudjohnsen's move to the Boleyn Ground, which looked a done deal yesterday after the 32-year-old completed his medical at the club.

News from Greece is filtering through slowly but Gudjohnsen is understood to have met with former Icelandic international and current AEK Director of Football Arnar Gretarsson in order to discuss a two-year with the Enosis.

A six-hour meeting with Gretarsson and fellow AEK Director George Constantinides last night is said to have concluded with the former Chelsea and Barcelona striker being offered a two-year contract.

Although no formal announcement has yet been made, Greek sources are claiming this morning that Gudjohnsen has accepted AEK's offer - although an announcement will be be delayed until he has had the opportunity to inform Sam Allardyce of his decision.

More on this as it happens.

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125484