watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stadium Naming Wrongs

Started by HatterDon, July 18, 2011, 12:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I see that Stevenage [no longer Borough] play at Lamex Stadium. Could be worse, I suppose; could be Lameoid Stadium.

Are there any other head-scratching names out there?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Ron Sheepskin

Shrewsbury Town used to play at the delightfully named Gay Meadow. Their new stadium is called Greenhous Meadow - which always looks like it's spelt wrongly.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

The Equalizer

Derby play at Pride Park, which is an oxymoron.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Airfix

Crusaders play at "Seaview".... Anyone who has been there knows it should be called "M2 View"!

The Equalizer

Quote from: Airfix on July 18, 2011, 01:16:26 PM
Crusaders play at "Seaview".... Anyone who has been there knows it should be called "M2 View"!

:011:

Oh we would like to be beside the seaside...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

The Doctor

York City played at KitKat Crescent for a few seasons recently

luckykat

Middlesbrough play at the Riverside, but the stadium isn't beside the river.

The Equalizer

Quote from: luckykat on July 18, 2011, 01:47:53 PM

Er, yes it is. Although it's also surrounded by slag pits. Possibly the most vile place I've ever been to.

GoldCoastWhite

Yep, looks like a river to me. Not a patch on our beautiful Cottage, but a riverside none the less.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/resources/images/869694/?type=gallery

Burt

Anything named after a sponsor gets on my goat.

The Emirates.
The DW.
The Reebok.
etc.

So long as ours doesn't change, and doesn't get re-named Neverland after a certain king of pop, then I'll be happy.

finnster01

Young Boys (no, not Michael Jackson fans, but the Swiss football club) play at Wankdorf Stadium...  :005:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

leonffc

Rushden & Diamonds used to play at the Dr Martens stadium. Rather apt as they've been wound up due to the tax man putting the boot in

luckykat

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 18, 2011, 01:55:45 PM

Er, yes it is. Although it's also surrounded by slag pits. Possibly the most vile place I've ever been to.
Err, no it isn't! My wife is from there and she is a fan. When we are visiting the in-laws we go to a game. Hardly on the banks of the river.

Agree it's a vile place.

The Equalizer

Quote from: luckykat on July 18, 2011, 04:18:44 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on July 18, 2011, 01:55:45 PM

Err, no it isn't! My wife is from there and she is a fan. When we are visiting the in-laws we go to a game. Hardly on the banks of the river.

Agree it's a vile place.

Ok, it's not on the banks of the river, but it's only about 30 metres away from it! I went there in 2002.

alfie

everyone knows it is Craven Cottage, so really i could not care less if they want to give it a sponsors name for a while if it brings in cash to the club, no matter what name it is called it will always always be known as the Cottage.

So please don't stress
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

ron

"Stamford Bridge" is a strange one for a football ground. Everyone knows that Stamford Bridge was a battlefield where the authorities of the time managed to contain a bunch of savages.

On second thoughts though......... :005:

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: ron on July 18, 2011, 08:01:01 PM
"Stamford Bridge" is a strange one for a football ground. Everyone knows that Stamford Bridge was a battlefield where the authorities of the time managed to contain a bunch of savages.

On second thoughts though......... :005:
Damn! You stole my idea.

I always thought 'Sports Direct.com @ St. James' Park' was overly stupid.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507