more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22/07/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 22, 2011, 08:05:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Former Liverpool star doesn't regret Fulham snub

JOHN Arne Riise insists he's got unfinished business in the Premier League – 10 years after snubbing a move to Craven Cottage.

The Norwegian left-back made his Fulham debut last night in the Europa League qualifying win against Crusaders.

Riise rejected a switch to SW6 a decade ago in favour of a move to Liverpool.

But the 30-year-old insists the Whites are now ready to match his ambition under Martin Jol.

He said: "Jean Tigana brought me to Monaco and then he wanted to bring me to Fulham.

"I was very close to signing, but I ended up with Liverpool and I do not regret my decision there because what I've experienced and the games I played in.

"When you're 20 years old and Liverpool want you to play for them, it's quite an easy decision there and then.

"Now, it just felt right. My brother [Bjorn] is here so I know the club very well through him, and for me it is important to have the right people around you at the club.

"The physios, the doctors, the media people, the manager, everything just seems in place and that's very important for me because I know I will get treated well here, and also it's the family as well.

"For my family it is very important to come to a place where I know they're going to be very happy."

Riise spent three years in Italy with Roma after leaving Anfield, but admits he always had his heart set on a return to England.

"I felt I improved as a player in the time I was there," he said.

"It was a great experience, but it was always in my mind that I wanted to return to the Premier League, so it was quite an easy decision to come back."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/07/22/former-liverpool-star-doesn-t-regret-fulham-snub-64767-29099627/?

WhiteJC

Southampton want Boa Morte back - 10 years on

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is ready to send flying winger Luis Boa Morte back to Southampton in a £750,000 deal - if the Portuguese veteran will go.

Former Arsenal star Boa Morte is on big wages at Hammers and is taking some persuading to quit to join their Championship rivals, as he thinks he could still make it in the top flight.

The 33-year-old has been on the verge of leaving West Ham a couple of times in recent years but held on and is now halfway through a two-year contract.

Saints are hoping to convince him a return to the south coast is his best move - a decade after he quit the club having spent just one season on their books following his Arsenal exit.

Boss Nigel Adkins wants a quick answer as he is also trying to agree a fee with Huddersfield for his alternative target, Andy Roberts.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/West-Ham-Luis-Boa-Morte-target-750k-return-Southampton-a-decade-after-his-first-spell-at-Saints-ended-article773994.html#ixzz1SomAxInc

WhiteJC

Hahnemann hunted by three Prem clubs

The 39-year-old American keeper is free after his deal at Wolves ran out.

He has offers from Germany and the US – but wants to stay in the top flight here.

Premier League new boys Norwich, Swansea and QPR are all keen.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Norwich-Swansea-QPR-all-keen-sign-keeper-Marcus-Hahnemann-on-Bosman-after-Wolves-exit-article774000.html#ixzz1Somd0z6Y

WhiteJC

Jol: It's a challenge but Fulham can balance Europe and Premier League

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes it is possible to strike a balance between the Premier League and the other competitions but concedes it will be difficult.

The west London club made it through to the Europa League third qualifying round last night with a 4-0 victory - 7-1 on aggregate - over Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders.

Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora and Steve Sidwell scored in the second leg at Craven Cottage to set-up a tie with RNK Split in Croatia next week.

While Jol conceded the top-flight remains Fulham's priority, the Dutchman insisted his side can still flourish on the European stage - as proven by the Fulham side that reached the final in 2010.

"For me the Premier League is the most important thing but if you want to be a good club you need to play well in all competitions and try to do well," he said.

"Last year they did not have the biggest squad and five or six players left, which is why we need five or six players in to get a good squad.

"Then you can probably rotate more, which is not what Fulham is known for, yet they still got to the final a couple of years ago.

"It is possible to do well in Europe and to do well in the league but of course it is not easy.

"Even in the year they went to the final they were 12th. Last year they did very well but the difference with the team in 14th spot was, if I'm not mistaken, two or three points."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23972150-jol-its-a-challenge-but-fulham-can-balance-europa-league-and-premiership.do?

WhiteJC

Stockdale would prefer Leeds switch

IPSWICH Town have been tracking David Stockdale – but if the Fulham keeper does go anywhere it will almost certainly be Leeds United.

After being included in an England squad by Fabio Capello earlier this year, the 25-year-old has grown frustrated at his lack of first team opportunities at Craven Cottage.

And with Mark Schwarzer continuing to be No.1 for the Premier League club, manager Martin Jol has already admitted that he is talking to 'a few clubs' about a possible loan exit for Stockdale.

Swansea have shown interest in a permanent signing, but the Cottagers are not interested in selling as they still see Stockdale as Schwarzer's long-term successor.

With a sizeable loan fee and a 24-hour recall option crucial to any deal, Town boss Paul Jewell has been monitoring the situation. The Blues have seen Brian Murphy and Ian McLoughlin depart this summer to leave them with just two senior keepers – Marton Fulop and Aaran Lee-Barrett.

Leeds United, who have sold keeper Kasper Schmeichel to Leicester this summer, are already a long way down the line in negotiations for Stockdale though.

And the keeper, born in Leeds and a supporter of the club, would certainly favour a move to Elland Road.

http://www.greenun24.co.uk/ipswich-town/stockdale_would_prefer_leeds_switch_1_971403?

WhiteJC

Swans step in for Pavone
Rodgers holds talks with free agent's representative

wansea have been told they must move quickly if they want to win the race for Argentine striker Mariano Pavone.

Blackburn have been unable to finalise a deal for the 29-year-old, while skysports.com has previously revealed that Liverpool and Fulham are also interested.

But Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers hopes to snatch Pavone from under the nose of his Premier League rivals after holding talks with the representative of the free agent.

Pavone, though, is eager to quickly find a new club and his agent, Barry McIntosh, has therefore advised Swansea not to take their time.

"Mariano has been left in limbo because of the Blackburn situation," McIntosh is quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror.

Money

"He just needs to go to a club where he will have a chance to play and Swansea could be that platform.

"If it was just about money, he would not go to Swansea. But I'm a believer that there is more to football than just money. If the difference is only 10p elsewhere then the player will go to Swansea.

"They have Spanish players at the club, they have a British manager who speaks Spanish and has made a real effort.

"I know the area of Swansea and the club well from previous dealings.

"The player has offers from elsewhere so they must move fast, but it would be a great move for him."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_7055032,00.html?

WhiteJC

Highlights

You get freedom of the cottage for cup games and, for the sake of it, I got tickets right behind the goal in the Putney End. You can see me in red talking to Martin after AJ shot straight at the keeper in the first half.

Anyway, lessons have been learned about sitting too close: that shot, for instance, felt like a sitter from where we were. He seemed so close in, it seemed an affront to forward play that the shot was so lame.  Now I see that he was 20 yards out after all and that it wasn't a bad effort.

One thing you do get from being that close is a good sense of the corner kick hurly burly. The players really do crash the area, and you can see how Hangeland's game has come on – there's a serious purpose about his runs. I got the sense that pre-Hughes, Hangeland didn't really know how best to attack corners. Now he's an absolute menace.

One final note.  I watch a fair bit of Kenny Dalglish the other night, and what I noticed was that some of his play (don't laugh) wasn't unlike that of Zamora. Dalglish was an absolute bugger for defenders to deal with, deceptively strong.  History has tended to paint Dalglish as a type of Beardsley link up man, but the player I saw in the 70s was rolling defenders mercilessly.

It's something I wonder if Zamora could do more of.  I say this as a huge admirer of our centre forward – surely he's good enough for a champions league team at this point – but could he turn defenders more with that body strength? He's amazing at stopping the ball, shielding it, using it, but you don't see him do this and then half-beat his man very often. Dalglish somehow managed to maneuver himself so that he was receiving the ball on the half-turn, squirm away then shoot/lay it off.  Something to ponder.

Back to the game. Everyone else seems more positive than me, which is unusual. Perhaps in our goal net seats we were just too close.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/highlights-2/?

WhiteJC

Tickets for Fulham clash now sold out

Tickets for the first away day at Fulham are now SOLD OUT.

Fans flocked to snap up the remaining few available this morning.

Alex McLeish will be looking to mastermind an opening day win for his Villa troops while Martin Jol will be looking to do exactly the same, after succeeding Mark Hughes.

It's never an easy assignment at Craven Cottage so fan support will be vital as Villa look for all three points.

Villa will be backed by an army of 2,900 supporters for the cracking clash.

However, tickets are still available for the opening home match of the campaign against Blackburn.

The game could mark Shay Given's home debut as he looks to establish himself as Villa's No.1.

Tickets are available to season card holders for the 2011-12 season.

You will be able to get hold of your tickets for the clash on Saturday August 20, kick-off 3pm by visiting the Ticket Offices at Villa Park or New Street or by phoning the hotline at 0800 612 0970.

They will also be available to buy online by clicking the icon below.

Tickets for the category B match are then on sale to supporters who attended a home fixture in the 2010-11 season from Monday July 25.

They are then available to supporters who have attended a home fixture from any season from Friday July 29.

Tickets are then on general sale from Monday August 1.

In all cases, it's a maximum of six seats per booking and with phone and online sales, there's a £2 booking charge.

Tickets are £24 to £40 for adults, £21 to £40 for young adults/ students/armed forces, £19 to £40 for O65s, £16 to £40 for U16s, £16 to £40 for U8s.

There is also a £42 adult/junior combo ticket available also.

Wheelchair tickets are also available by calling the Consumer Sales Department on 0800 612 0970.

Remember to buy online, on phone or in person.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2399035,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham cruise through as Martin Jol seeks balance

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes it is possible to strike a balance between the Barclays Premier League and the Cottagers' exertions in other competitions but concedes it will be tough.

The west Londoners made it through to the Europa League third qualifying round last night with a 4-0 victory - 7-1 on aggregate - over Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders.

Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora and Steve Sidwell netted in the second leg at Craven Cottage to set-up a tie with RNK Split in Croatia next week.

While Jol conceded the Premier League remains Fulham's priority, the Dutchman insisted his side can still flourish on the European stage - as proven by the Fulham side that reached the final in 2010.

"For me the Premier League is the most important thing but if you want to be a good club you need to play well in all competitions and try to do well," he said.

"Last year they did not have the biggest squad and five or six players left, which is why we need five or six players in to get a good squad.

"Then you can probably rotate more, which is not what Fulham is known for, yet they still got to the final a couple of years ago.

"It is possible to do well in Europe and to do well in the league but of course it is not easy.

"Even in the year they went to the final they were 12th. Last year they did very well but the difference with the team in 14th spot was, if I'm not mistaken, two or three points."

While Fulham were able to celebrate on-field success yesterday, off it the club was forced to launch an appeal to the Supreme Court after failing in a renewed bid to oust Premier League chairman Sir Dave Richards.

The dispute centres around the role which Fulham claim Richards played in England striker Peter Crouch's £9million move from Portsmouth to Tottenham two years ago.

Fulham refused to accept a High Court judgment that the dispute with Richards should be settled by arbitration, but three Court of Appeal judges yesterday dismissed the Premier League club's appeal after a hearing in London.

However, Fulham will now launch an appeal to the Supreme Court in an attempt to have the case heard in open court.

"Fulham will be seeking permission from the Supreme Court to appeal this decision since it considers that a point of law of general importance is involved and that it has a good prospect of success," the club said in a statement released to Press Association Sport.

"The decision by the Court of Appeal affects not only the world of football but potentially every company in the land which has a shareholders' agreement or set of articles of association with an arbitration clause."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/fulham-cruise-through-as-martin-jol-seeks-balance-2318483.html?

WhiteJC

Liverpool rival Fulham for Blackburn Rovers target Pavone

According to reports Liverpool, Fulham and Swansea City are targeting Argentina striker Mariano Pavone after a move to Blackburn Rovers broke down.

The 29-year-old had already agreed a three-year deal at Blackburn Rovers, but the club has been unable to finalise the deal.

Skysports.com claims the three Premier League clubs are all ready to step in.

Pavone's British representative Barry McIntosh confirmed that a number of clubs were monitoring the situation.

"Yes, there are a number of clubs looking at Mariano, obviously I cannot name them at this stage," he told skysports.com.

"The Blackburn situation is frustrating for Mariano, but as they made the move first we are willing to give them every chance to finalise the move.

"Mariano is a big fan of Steve Kean, he was very impressed with him and would love the chance to play for him.

"But we have to consider Mariano's future and we are aware of the interest from elsewhere."

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/1210054-liverpool-rival-fulham-for-blackburn-rovers-target-pavone.html?

WhiteJC

Jol has high hopes for Zamora-Johnson partnership

Fulham manager Martin Jol believes the strike partnership of Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson can shoot the club to success this season.

The pair netted in the west Londoners' comfortable 4-0 Europa League second qualifying round defeat of Northern Irish outfit Crusaders, which sealed a 7-1 aggregate success.

Zamora and Johnson worked well in tandem throughout the clash and have impressed in the Whites' European campaign. The duo struggled last season with injuries and only netted 10 goals between them in all competitions but Jol has backed them to come to the fore this campaign.

"Even if you have got a tough defence you know you can score goals," he said. "Last year Bobby was of course injured and Andy was the same, he only had 16 starts.

"So we had some trouble with injuries and luckily enough we had [Clint] Dempsey and he was our top scorer. I feel there is a lot more goals in Andy Johnson. Every game when I see him he is quick and he can score goals.

"I think he has scored three goals already and that is what you want, not the two goals last year. He was not satisfied and that was probably because of his injuries and now hopefully we can keep them fit. If you saw Bobby in the first half, if he is in the flow he is a very good target."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22072011/63/jol-high-hopes-zamora-johnson-partnership.html

WhiteJC

Swans wait on keeper deal

Fulham have confirmed David Stockdale will leave on loan but Swansea's hopes depend on the inclusion off a 24-hour recall clause.
Swansea have been chasing the Cottagers star all summer and Fulham boss Martin Jol would be more than happy for a loan deal to go through if he is able to recall him within 24 hours.

As things stand that is not possible with a loan between two Premier League clubs and it could well mean Stockdale will be heading to the Championship with Leeds and Ipswich both keen to strike a deal.

"Yes, he is close but of course there is a little issue with the recall," Jol revealed. "We can't recall him if he is playing in the Premier League. Maybe there is a bit of space [for manoeuvre] but I don't want to talk about it.

"[If we cannot insert a release clause], then we have to put him in the Championship. But there is a possibility he could go to the Premier League."

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/swansea-city/swans-wait-on-keeper-deal-1244344.html?#.TilWdc016s0

WhiteJC

Keeper move latest

Fulham have confirmed David Stockdale will leave on loan but Swansea's hopes depend on the inclusion off a 24-hour recall clause.

Swansea have been chasing the Cottagers star all summer and Fulham boss Martin Jol would be more than happy for a loan deal to go through if he is able to recall him within 24 hours.

As things stand that is not possible with a loan between two Premier League clubs and it could well mean Stockdale will be heading to the Championship with Leeds and Ipswich both keen to strike a deal.

"Yes, he is close but of course there is a little issue with the recall," Jol revealed. "We can't recall him if he is playing in the Premier League. Maybe there is a bit of space [for manoeuvre] but I don't want to talk about it.

"[If we cannot insert a release clause], then we have to put him in the Championship. But there is a possibility he could go to the Premier League."

http://www.clubcall.com/swansea-city/keeper-move-latest-4-1244344.html?

WhiteJC

JT: Gera factor has sparked scrap

JEROME Thomas says the expected addition of Zoltan Gera to the Baggies squad has already intensified competition for midfield places.

The return to fitness of Graham Dorrans and the emergence of youngster George Thorne as a genuine contender in the middle of the park has already added to Roy Hodgson's options in that area from last season.

And the fierce battle for a starting berth against Manchester United on the opening day of the 2011/12 campaign has been apparent with Thomas, Dorrans, Simon Cox, Chris Brunt, Somen Tchoyi and James Morrison all scoring on the Baggies' pre-season tour of the USA.

Gera, meanwhile, is currently rehabilitating after an ankle operation and will join Albion subject to a medical and finalising personal terms.

"In every position we need competition to push people," said Thomas.

"He played for Fulham and Roy is a fan of him.

"He'll be a great addition to the squad once he's back fit.

"Hopefully, after his ankle surgery we can get him back sharp and playing as quickly as possible.

"I think he'll be a great addition."

http://www.wba.co.uk/page/News/0,,10366~2399228,00.html?

WhiteJC

HUGHES RELISHING EUROPEAN ADVENTURE

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes insists the Europa League will not upset the Cottagers' pre-season preparations and that every game is being approached as if it was against Manchester United.

The Londoners secured safe passage to the third qualifying round last night with a dominant 4-0 victory over Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders, making it 7-1 on aggregate over the two legs.

The match was Fulham's fourth competitive match of the season, having started their European campaign against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik on June 30.

But despite the early start, Hughes has quashed concerns that it could adversely affect their preparations for the Barclays Premier League.

"It hasn't been too difficult to adapt to the early start," he said. "We've tried not upset our pre-season, if you like.

"The games are slightly different because they are competitive but we're still working through things in training with the new season in mind.

"Obviously we maybe have to tweak one or two things in the build-up to competitive games, but I think once we knew we were coming back early it was definite then.

"You get your head round it and you carry on"

Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora and Steve Sidwell netted in yesterday's second leg at Craven Cottage to set up a tie with RNK Split of Croatia.

Hughes admits that he knows little about next week's opponents but promises that the Whites will not take their trip to the Adriatic coast lightly.

"We go where we have to go," he said. "We take each game as it comes, wherever that may be.

"We're still in the competition and we'll enjoy it as much as we can for as long as we're still in it.

"We will do exactly the same as we would do if we were going to play Manchester United.

"We will have a couple of guys maybe go out and watch a couple of their games and bring reports back.

"Leading up to the game, we will watch a couple of DVDs, have a little chat about certain things.

"Maybe certain things that we feel they're dangerous at and certain areas where we feel we can hurt them.

"It will be no different to preparations for a Premier League game really so we will know enough about them come kick off."

Czech Republic Under-21 international Marcel Gecov could make his Fulham debut in Croatia next week after completing his move from Slovan Liberec this week.

Fellow new boy John Arne Riise made his first appearance for Fulham last night and Hughes believes the former Liverpool man is settling in well already.

"He is a very, very good acquisition," he said. "It is almost as if he has been here for two years.

"It hasn't been a massive thing in the changing room, he just kind of slipped in quietly straight away.

"He has obviously got his brother (Bjorn Helge) and Brede [Hangeland] here already and he knows Danny from Liverpool.

"He has integrated straight away but you find that with any of the new players that come to this club.

"We've got a good bunch of lads here and people seem to fit in straight away."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/07/22/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

No Euro concerns for Hughes
Defender adamant Europa League will not impact upon Premier League

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes has dismissed suggestions that an early start to the season will affect their preparations for the Premier League.

The West Londoners secured a safe passage to the third qualifying round on Thursday night with a dominant 4-0 victory over Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders, making it 7-1 on aggregate over the two legs.

The match was Fulham's fourth competitive game of the season, having started their European campaign against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik on 30th June.

But Hughes does not think the early start to the season will impact upon Martin Jol's team in what could be a marathon season.

"It hasn't been too difficult to adapt to the early start," he said. "We've tried not to upset our pre-season, if you like.

Tweak

"The games are slightly different because they are competitive but we're still working through things in training with the new season in mind.

"Obviously we maybe have to tweak one or two things in the build-up to competitive games, but I think once we knew we were coming back early it was definite then.

"You get your head round it and you carry on"

Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora and Steve Sidwell netted in Thursday's second leg at Craven Cottage to set up a tie with RNK Split of Croatia.
Hughes admits that he knows little about next week's opponents but promises that Fulham will not take their trip to the Adriatic coast lightly.

"We will do exactly the same as we would do if we were going to play Manchester United," he said.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7055499,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham revelling in early start as Cottagers continue Europa League progress

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes insists the Europa League will not upset the Cottagers' pre-season preparations and that every game is being approached as if it was against Manchester United.

The west Londoners secured safe passage to the third qualifying round with a dominant 4-0 victory over Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders, making it 7-1 on aggregate over the two legs.

The match was Fulham's fourth competitive match of the season, having started their European campaign against Faroese minnows NSI Runavik on June 30.

Off and running: Fulham celebrate opening the scoring against Crusaders at Craven Cottage

But despite the early start, Hughes has quashed concerns that it could adversely affect their preparations for the Barclays Premier League.

'It hasn't been too difficult to adapt to the early start,' he said. 'We've tried not upset our pre-season, if you like.

'The games are slightly different because they are competitive but we're still working through things in training with the new season in mind.

'Obviously we maybe have to tweak one or two things in the build-up to competitive games, but I think once we knew we were coming back early it was definite then.

'You get your head round it and you carry on'

Early start: Fulham's Andrew Johnson helped his side progress in the Europa League

Andrew Johnson, Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora and Steve Sidwell netted in the second leg at Craven Cottage to set up a tie with RNK Split of Croatia.

Hughes admits that he knows little about next week's opponents but promises that the Whites will not take their trip to the Adriatic coast lightly.

'We go where we have to go,' he said. 'We take each game as it comes, wherever that may be.

'We're still in the competition and we'll enjoy it as much as we can for as long as we're still in it.

'We will do exactly the same as we would do if we were going to play Manchester United.

New boy: John Arne Riise made his Fulham debut against Crusaders

'We will have a couple of guys maybe go out and watch a couple of their games and bring reports back.

'Leading up to the game, we will watch a couple of DVDs, have a little chat about certain things.

'Maybe certain things that we feel they're dangerous at and certain areas where we feel we can hurt them.

'It will be no different to preparations for a Premier League game really so we will know enough about them come kick off.'

Czech Republic Under-21 international Marcel Gecov could make his Fulham debut in Croatia next week after completing his move from Slovan Liberec this week.

Fellow new boy John Arne Riise made his first appearance for Fulham last night and Hughes believes the former Liverpool man is settling in well already.

'He is a very, very good acquisition,' he said. 'It is almost as if he has been here for two years.

'It hasn't been a massive thing in the changing room, he just kind of slipped in quietly straight away.

'He has obviously got his brother (Bjorn Helge) and Brede [Hangeland] here already and he knows Danny from Liverpool.

'He has integrated straight away but you find that with any of the new players that come to this club.

'We've got a good bunch of lads here and people seem to fit in straight away.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2017684/Fulham-revelling-early-Europa-League-start.html#ixzz1SqJDFk8x

WhiteJC

Pantsil joins Foxes revolution
Ghanaian defender becomes Eriksson's latest summer signing

John Pantsil has become Leicester's eighth signing of the summer, penning a three-year contract in the process.

The Ghana international has been snapped up as a free agent following his release by Fulham.
Sven-Goran Eriksson first made a move for the 30-year-old at the end of June, but no deal could be agreed.

Whatever issues arose at that time have since been ironed out, and Pantsil is looking forward to joining an ambitious side who have their sights set firmly on the Premier League.

Challenge

"I see this as the biggest challenge of my career so far and, together with my new team-mates, we will fight to make Leicester City climb to the top," Pantsil, who has also represented West Ham during his time in England, told Ghanasoccernet.

"I visited the club on Wednesday, met the coach and some of the club officials and I am very happy with what I saw."

He added: "The club has got a lot of ambition to succeed at a high level with their fantastic fans and that is why I chose to join them despite some other offers.

"The fact that they have coach Eriksson also says a lot about the ambitions of the club and I am obviously delighted to join in this noble cause."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_7055552,00.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Aaron Hughes insists the Europa League will not affect pre-season preparations
Defender believes the extra games will not disrupt the Cottagers' planning for the new campaign and says the club will go into every match like they are playing Manchester United

Fulham defender Aaron Hughes believes that the club's Europa League qualifiers will not affect their preparations for the upcoming season and insists they will take every game in the competition seriously.

Thursday night saw the Cottagers progress to the third qualifying round following a comprehensive 4-0 victory over Northern Irish side Crusaders.

Martin Jol's team began their season on June 30 in the Europa League and have so far had four competitive matches mixed in with their pre-season schedule, however, Hughes insists the extra games will not affect their performances in the Premier League.

"It hasn't been too difficult to adapt to the early start," he told reporters. "We've tried not to upset our pre-season, if you like.

"Obviously we maybe have to tweak one or two things in the build up to competitive games, but I think once we knew we were coming back early it was definite then.

"You get your head round it and you carry on."

The west London club will face Croatian side RNK Split for a place in the first full round of the Europa League, and although Hughes admits he does not know much about their upcoming opponents, he insists the tie will not be taken lightly.

"We go where we have to go," he said. "We take each game as it comes, wherever that may be.

"We're still in the competition and we'll enjoy it as much as we can for as long as we're still in it.

"We will do exactly the same as we would do if we were going to play Manchester United.

"We will have a couple of guys maybe go out and watch a couple of their games and bring reports back.

"Leading up to the game, we will watch a couple of DVDs, have a little chat about certain things.

"Maybe certain things that we feel they're dangerous at and certain areas where we feel we can hurt them.

"It will be no different to preparations for a Premier League game really so we will know enough about them come kick off."

Hughes also praised new signing John Arne Riise after the Norwegian made his debut in Thursday's win, and claims the former Liverpool man has settled in well.

"He is a very, very good acquisition," he added. "It is almost as if he has been here for two years.

"It hasn't been a massive thing in the changing room, he just kind of slipped in quietly straight away.

"He has obviously got his brother [Bjorn Helge] and Brede [Hangeland] here already and he knows Danny [Murphy] from Liverpool.

"He has integrated straight away but you find that with any of the new players that come to this club.

"We've got a good bunch of lads here and people seem to fit in straight away."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2915/europa-league/2011/07/22/2585960/fulhams-aaron-hughes-insists-the-europa-league-will-not?

WhiteJC

Steve Sidwell: Playing As Beautiful A Game As Ever At Fulham

Last night I had the pleasure of walking down to Craven Cottage to take in a Europa League qualifier, with Fulham hosting Crusaders FC. The first half saw Fulham go up 1-0 over the visiting Northern Irishmen while I stared at Mark Schwarzer and wondered why on earth anyone thought he needed an extra-tight kit (Kappa, take note: we don't need to know when the goalkeeper has a concave stomach. Thanks). But the greatest entertainment was Steve Sidwell, behaving, well, like Steve Sidwell.

When not playing for Aston Villa, Sidwell can be quite amusing to watch -- primarily because it seems that his entire aim is to avoid actually playing football. When the ball approaches, he behaves just as I did when I was seven years old. He kicks it away, as quickly as possible. Even more impressively, he almost appears to be trying actively not to score. Considering most of football is centered around trying to score more goals than the opposing team, Sidwell's approach is quite refreshing.
True to form, the special one wizard kicked off the first half by sending a ball across the face of goal, inches on the wrong side of the post. Minutes later, he succeeded in hitting the post. The £1 bet place against Sidwell scoring was looking better and better. And then, miraculously, he scored. From a corner. And he still sent the ball off the crossbar first.

Well done, Sidders. You managed to score against a semi-professional side after three failed attempts from close range. Villa miss you.

http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/7/22/2288352/steve-sidwell-fulham-crusaders-europa?