more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goalkeepers standing on the goal-line for penalty kicks

Started by Fulham1959, June 18, 2019, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Quote from: love4ffc on June 20, 2019, 04:22:12 AM
Just watched the highlights for Scotland v Argentina.  Same thing as before, ref says goalie left the line yet it's so close a call I don't see how they could call it.  Very unfair in my mind. 
Yes, I agree. If that keeper had moved a fraction of a second later she would still have saved the penalty , she gained no advantage by moving when she did.

Var is not eliminating controversy.

snarks

The penalty thing won't be used in the premiership next year.

Also a goalkeeper tends to move their weight so they can spring (and if you've tried it you need to go forward first), it now means they will either a) start behind the line so they can step forward to push off, or b) not dive at all as they have no power to do it.

toshes mate

Quote from: snarks on June 21, 2019, 09:19:23 AM
The penalty thing won't be used in the premiership next year.
That is the VAR element but the rule change remains.  My one complaint about the rule change is that it should also outlaw the taker from hesitating, or doing similar fancy things during their run-up. 

Burt

One of those parts of the game where you would hope that common sense / ref's judgement would apply. Retake only if it is obvious that the goalie made significant movement from the line.

Also agree with Snarks's comment - the penalty taker should have a clean shot and not try and obtain an unfair advantage by clowning around in the lead-up to the shot.

bill taylors apprentice

A Penalty is exactly that........ A penalty against the offending team so why make it easier for them?

Of course the goalie (like everyone else) is looking for an advantage by bending the rules or even cheating but its quiet simple you have to wait until the balls kicked.

Whats with all the sympathy with goalkeepers? If you move you are cheating and now they can't get away with it like they used too.

Forever Fulham

My understanding is that when the women's tournament started, there was no VAR for the goalkeeper's line, that it is unfair to introduce its use after the tournament had commenced.  Second, penalty takers are getting more outrageous and inventive with their stutter steps, hesitation moves, stop/start antics before the ball is actually kicked.  Yet it's the goal keeper who gets penalised for being an inch or two over the line before the ball is struck?  Almost no goalie gets called for this infraction during games.  So goal keepers get acclimated to taking a step or two.  All of sudden there's a camera  there and games are decided on infractions of a rule that has, for all intents and purposes, proven to be more of a scofflaw than not over the years.  I don't think that's right.  And what will happen in penalty shootouts now?  Goalies will get sent off and field players will be minding the net.

toshes mate

Penalties are given for everyday 'deliberate'* fouls that occur in the penalty area.  They are not special cases other than the fact they occur in that area.  To limit goalkeepers to special requirements whilst not limiting the kicker to run up and shoot is simple nonsense.  The referee has always had the option to have the kick retaken if they believe the goalkeeper has breached the rules when saving a kick, or making the kicker retake the penalty if they feel they have breached the rules when scoring from a kick.  To pretend to make the sport better by inventing reasons to have VAR is demeaning the game.

(*Soon to be if the ball strikes any part of the arm, if the arm is in a position deemed not to be 'natural' ...  you couldn't make it up, IMO).