watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sidwell

Started by Ron Sheepskin, July 28, 2011, 08:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Sheepskin

I said it at the Crusaders game, and I'll say it again... If someone doesn't beat the thuggishness out of him soon, then we're guaranteed to have time with him serving suspensions.

I know lots of you like him - I'll remain unconvinced until I see him try and win the ball cleanly for three tackles in a row.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

HatterDon

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 28, 2011, 08:23:10 PM
I said it at the Crusaders game, and I'll say it again... If someone doesn't beat the thuggishness out of him soon, then we're guaranteed to have time with him serving suspensions.

I know lots of you like him - I'll remain unconvinced until I see him try and win the ball cleanly for three tackles in a row.

Got a yellow card with his first touch. Can't say he wasn't focused on his game.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Scrumpy

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 28, 2011, 08:23:10 PM

I like him and I haven't noticed this element to his game. I will keep an eye out for this in future.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

SmithyFFC

That is part of Sidwells game, aggression. Something we hugely lacked tonight.
FTID

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on July 28, 2011, 09:36:19 PM

I've got nothing against agressive, will-to-win play, and I agree we need to see some steel. I just think he borders on recklessness and that worries me.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Tom

All I have to say is Sidwell should have been starting with the way he played in the previous game. Murphy and Euthu were awful tonight!
Fulham for life!

SmithyFFC

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 28, 2011, 09:39:10 PM

I've got nothing against agressive, will-to-win play, and I agree we need to see some steel. I just think he borders on recklessness and that worries me.

He does often walk a thin line between aggression and thuggishness. But some of the best central midfielders do this, for example, Scott Parker.
FTID

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: FulhamFan2 on July 28, 2011, 09:42:15 PM
Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on July 28, 2011, 09:39:10 PM

He does often walk a thin line between aggression and thuggishness. But some of the best central midfielders do this, for example, Scott Parker.

Fair point well made. Maybe it's me - I want to like him. I'll approach next Thursday with an open mind, and hope that Tom can have a word in his pre-match prayer. Actually, if he can get Etuhu and Murphy the night off too, that would be good...

HatterDon

Ron, you're not the only one. I like Sidwell as well, but he is a yellow card waiting to happen. Getting a yellow with his first touch tonight does not surprise me in the least.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: HatterDon on July 28, 2011, 10:01:55 PM
Ron, you're not the only one. I like Sidwell as well, but he is a yellow card waiting to happen. Getting a yellow with his first touch tonight does not surprise me in the least.
Let the opposition know your there early doors, but obviously not so blatent.

finnster01

Etuhu is not far behind.

His tackling skills makes Scholes look like the Maestro
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Senior Supporter

Etuhu not far behind? He's more reckless than Sidwell in my book.

Jack Fulham

Personally think Sidwell is the most reckless players in the team when it comes to challenges, he really lunges at them, did a terrible lung against Chelsea which caught Essien (I think) on the thigh. However, this energy and enthusiasm sometimes works to our advantage and I often find Sidwell wins the ball a lot higher up the pitch than say Danny or Dickson to tend to fall back to more defensive positions. He will be yellow carded often this season but i fairness, he usually turns it down after receiving one. It's part of his game though and it's not going to change. He's a bit like Lee Cattermole without the red cards but now Sunderland have told Cattermole to calm down a bit, I think he's lost his effectiveness.

Irelands_number1

i think every team needs a player like that! a good ball player whos a bit of a hard nut! it makes the opposition players back off slightly and their play becomes a bit more weary! also it makes you a harder side to push around!