watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

MLS 0 - Man U 4

Started by finnster01, July 29, 2011, 02:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Maybe this can elevate the respect of Clint Dempsey and the quality of what he has to face every year?
There appears to be many Clint haters here in America and I can not understand why. Maybe it is a New York thing? I am not getting it at all. What am I missing?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

mhatc

ESPN loves Landon. I think that is it. That and New Jersey may listen to the gospel of native son John Harkes who was all over him in the confederations cup for being lazy even though he covered more ground than almost everyone and won the bronze ball.

LordNelson

John Harkes is the biggest douche that ever was invented.  He wouldn't quit nit-picking Dempsey until apparenlty there was a threat to kick Harkes' arse all the way to SW6.  Now he compliments Clint most of the time. 
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

HatterDon

To answer the larger question -- with a larger question -- why is it that so many quality players wearing black and white get no respect from large contingents of Fulham fans?

I'm glad you're flying the flag for Clint in New York, Mr. Finn.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

Finn, this will be explained that this is just an exibition. If the MLS REALLY REALLY wanted to play they would beat United, in a match that actually means something. The MLS is just as good as the French 1st division and the championship, you know.  064.gif
The Dude abides.

mccscratch

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 08:35:38 PM
Finn, this will be explained that this is just an exibition. If the MLS REALLY REALLY wanted to play they would beat United, in a match that actually means something. The MLS is just as good as the French 1st division and the championship, you know.  064.gif

I would actually say that the MLS is just as good as the mid portion of the Championship... however I would say winning the Championship is far more difficult because of the scheduling demands...

MLS teams are pretty decent... Manure only took apart the teams in the 2nd half when teams put in players that make less than 30k a year against guys like Rooney and Nani... MLS first 11s were competitive with Manure by in large for 45 mins.... As they were with Everton, WBA and Man City too...

As for the all-star game... meh, MLS were missing Donovan, Shea, Montero and several others due to Concacaf Champions League... and got to 2 days training together... 4-0 was no shock to me...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

clintclintdeuce

I reckon thats a reasonable statement about the Championship. Robbie Findley was an MLS allstar, and now he will be in a rotation at Nottingham Forest.
The Dude abides.

BarryP

:dead horse:

1. United could beat any team the MLS could put together.
2. Which Championship or French team do you think United couldn't beat 4-0 on any given day?
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

mccscratch

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 08:51:38 PM
I reckon thats a reasonable statement about the Championship. Robbie Findley was an MLS allstar, and now he will be in a rotation at Nottingham Forest.

I will be interesting to see what Findley can do. I always thought USMNT fans were way too harsh on him. He is what he is, electric pace a little on the ball skill down the wing and very little finishing ability.. I think Forrest want a new Nathan Tyson and Robbie might just turn into that..

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: mccscratch on July 29, 2011, 08:55:35 PM

I will be interesting to see what Findley can do. I always thought USMNT fans were way too harsh on him. He is what he is, electric pace a little on the ball skill down the wing and very little finishing ability.. I think Forrest want a new Nathan Tyson and Robbie might just turn into that..

Hopefully he takes his chances and makes a name for himself. If you could get him and CD9 back on track with Altidore firing on all cylinders, it could be a scary front end of the USMNT going into WCQ's
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 09:21:53 PM
Quote from: mccscratch on July 29, 2011, 08:55:35 PM

Hopefully he takes his chances and makes a name for himself. If you could get him and CD9 back on track with Altidore firing on all cylinders, it could be a scary front end of the USMNT going into WCQ's

I don't think Findlay has the physical strength to excel in the Championship. Like DMB, he's more suited for the Dutch league. I saw him play about 20 times in the MLS and I never saw him play 90 minutes in one of those games. There's got to be a reason why.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

Hes been getting 45 mins regularly in their pre-season warmups, and has created a few goals. Looks to me he will be in the picture from the front foot.

Now we just need to find Eddie Johnson a team...
The Dude abides.

mccscratch

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 09:35:44 PM
Hes been getting 45 mins regularly in their pre-season warmups, and has created a few goals. Looks to me he will be in the picture from the front foot.

I have been stunned by the lack of Eddie news to be honest... I thought surely someone would give him a trial... maybe he is above that and weighing contract offers...who knows... His agent said we would have clear picture around mid July but that has come and gone...

I just recall hearing that DeMerit was also weighing his options last summer and it turned out to be not playing until MLS started up in March that he saw the pitch... hope Eddie is smarter than that and finds somewhere to play even in Denmark, Belgium or Bundesliga 2

clintclintdeuce

He needs to do something! Anything! If he doesnt produce something with the remaining years he has he will be in my mind one of the biggest busts in American sporting history.... the Ryan Leaf of Soccer.
The Dude abides.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: mccscratch on July 29, 2011, 10:14:56 PM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on July 29, 2011, 09:35:44 PM

I have been stunned by the lack of Eddie news to be honest... I thought surely someone would give him a trial... maybe he is above that and weighing contract offers...who knows... His agent said we would have clear picture around mid July but that has come and gone...

I just recall hearing that DeMerit was also weighing his options last summer and it turned out to be not playing until MLS started up in March that he saw the pitch... hope Eddie is smarter than that and finds somewhere to play even in Denmark, Belgium or Bundesliga 2
I'm stunned Real Madrid haven't snapped him up. Honestly Mcscratch surely even you must now realise he's useless.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: BarryP on July 29, 2011, 08:55:20 PM

2. Which Championship or French team do you think United couldn't beat 4-0 on any given day?

On a given day (I'd argue that a Champions League tie for the QFs qualifies as a "given day") Manchester United scraped to a 2-1 win on aggregate against OM.  The top Ligue 1 sides (OM, OL, PSG, Lille, etc.) would be MLS title winners every day of the week.

BarryP

Quote from: ImperialWhite on July 30, 2011, 12:58:46 AM
Finn, this will be explained that this is just an exibition. If the MLS REALLY REALLY wanted to play they would beat United, in a match that actually means something. The MLS is just as good as the French 1st division and the championship, you know.  064.gif

On a given day (I'd argue that a Champions League tie for the QFs qualifies as a "given day") Manchester United scraped to a 2-1 win on aggregate against OM.  The top Ligue 1 sides (OM, OL, PSG, Lille, etc.) would be MLS title winners every day of the week.

No they wouldn't because under MLS rules they couldn't maintain their current payroll structure and they would most likely lose all of their players to European teams. :53:  Seriously, as a rational person who appreciates the MLS for what it is it just gets old reading tired, worn-out, cliched postings about what it is not and I am not referring to your post IW.  
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

YankeeJim

The difference between one team or one league is simply the budget. Give the bucks to MLS and Old Red Nose would be stalking the sidelines in Los Angeles or New York watching Messi score a hat trick. Give it to Sigi up in Seattle and they'd beat Manure 7-1. If the Premiership sent Manure, the Scum & Citi to play mid level Championship squads, what would the result be? It's not as if  the Premiership is the best league because it is full of English players. It's the best because it makes the most money.

What would be interesting would be to send the Might Whites, Villa and perhaps Everton and see what results they'd have against MLS. I think they'd win most but not by 4 nil.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

Quote from: YankeeJim on July 30, 2011, 10:12:24 PM
The difference between one team or one league is simply the budget. Give the bucks to MLS and Old Red Nose would be stalking the sidelines in Los Angeles or New York watching Messi score a hat trick. Give it to Sigi up in Seattle and they'd beat Manure 7-1. If the Premiership sent Manure, the Scum & Citi to play mid level Championship squads, what would the result be? It's not as if  the Premiership is the best league because it is full of English players. It's the best because it makes the most money.

What would be interesting would be to send the Might Whites, Villa and perhaps Everton and see what results they'd have against MLS. I think they'd win most but not by 4 nil.

Good points Jim, there is no doubt the talent follows the money trail, though there is also the exposure side of things. Not only would the money need to be this side of the pond, but also the opportunity for it to be televised world-wide, and the advertising exposure as well, and unless America suddenly makes soccer the #1 sport here, then it's never gonna happen. The same could be said for exporting  basketball and American Football to european countries.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: BarryP on July 30, 2011, 02:36:27 AM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on July 30, 2011, 12:58:46 AM
Finn, this will be explained that this is just an exibition. If the MLS REALLY REALLY wanted to play they would beat United, in a match that actually means something. The MLS is just as good as the French 1st division and the championship, you know.  064.gif

On a given day (I'd argue that a Champions League tie for the QFs qualifies as a "given day") Manchester United scraped to a 2-1 win on aggregate against OM.  The top Ligue 1 sides (OM, OL, PSG, Lille, etc.) would be MLS title winners every day of the week.

No they wouldn't because under MLS rules they couldn't maintain their current payroll structure and they would most likely lose all of their players to European teams. :53:  Seriously, as a rational person who appreciates the MLS for what it is it just gets old reading tired, worn-out, cliched postings about what it is not and I am not referring to your post IW.  

New York Red Bulls* beat PSG and draw with Arsenal to win the Emirates Cup. Go figure, as fans of the MLS might say! PSG second place after thrashing Boca Juniors. Arsenal in 3rd place after two draws - having conceded 3 goals from 6 shots. A long and fruitless season awaits them I think!

*A football team owned by a rich and successful business, fine. Said business changing the name of the team...  :002:

EDIT:

OM beating Manchester United 6-2! TEH LIGUE UHHHH RULEZZZZZ!*

*the United side may or may not be fielding old pros in their 40s...