watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Great British Beer Festival

Started by Shredhead, August 01, 2011, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shredhead

Starts tomorrow. Anyone going? I'll be there tomorrow evening in my black FFCUK T shirt. Come and say hello but don't puke on me.
My tip for Champion Beer of GB? Dark Star Hophead.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

richie17

Interesting - I know that beer and it's nice enough but wouldn't imagine it'll stand out. What's behind the tip?

Shredhead

Quote from: richie17 on August 01, 2011, 10:06:13 PM
Interesting - I know that beer and it's nice enough but wouldn't imagine it'll stand out. What's behind the tip?
It was behind the revival of the Harp - winner of the Pub of the Year - in Chandos Place. The landlady was thinking of giving up and was persuaded to give it a try. Rest is history. Its also one of the first big-hopped ales to make it big outside niche markets.
If there was any justice in the world, Harveys Best would win but I fear its day of winning big prizes has passed - it got the Champion Best Bitter a few years ago.

Chopper

An old mate of mine has a CAMRA Gold award winning cider at this years GBBF.

Seems to have gone down quite well at other festivals.

It's called 'Hard Core' by Virtual Orchard if you fancy trying it.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

The Equalizer

I love both Hophead and Harveys Best.

My tip for winner though has to be: Skinner's Cornish Knocker. Simply stunning.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

richie17

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 02, 2011, 12:07:06 PM

I like the Skinners stuff - they're for sale in the hogs back brewery shop near the in-laws, often get a few bottles.

richie17

Quote from: Shredhead on August 01, 2011, 10:12:43 PM
Quote from: richie17 on August 01, 2011, 10:06:13 PM
It was behind the revival of the Harp - winner of the Pub of the Year - in Chandos Place. The landlady was thinking of giving up and was persuaded to give it a try. Rest is history. Its also one of the first big-hopped ales to make it big outside niche markets.
If there was any justice in the world, Harveys Best would win but I fear its day of winning big prizes has passed - it got the Champion Best Bitter a few years ago.

ah, very interesting - thanks for sharing!

The Equalizer

Quote from: richie17 on August 02, 2011, 12:20:12 PM

I like the Skinners stuff - they're for sale in the hogs back brewery shop near the in-laws, often get a few bottles.

Ah, I love the Hogsback brewery shop. I popped in for a few tasters back in May. Lovely stuff, but very expensive. They had a great range of bottled beers in there, plus they did massive bottles of Weston's Old Rosie, if you like a bit of scrumpy...
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

richie17

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 02, 2011, 12:32:47 PM
Quote from: richie17 on August 02, 2011, 12:20:12 PM

Ah, I love the Hogsback brewery shop. I popped in for a few tasters back in May. Lovely stuff, but very expensive. They had a great range of bottled beers in there, plus they did massive bottles of Weston's Old Rosie, if you like a bit of scrumpy...

Just glad to have somewhere like that available.  Always a little aladdin's cave of fun.  Love some of the belgian beers they have there too (that really is expensive, but so good).

Shredhead

My prediction was a bit off target:

Overall Champion
Mighty Oak, Oscar Wilde (a mild)

Second
Marble, Chocolate

Third
Salopian, Shropshire Gold

I'll find out about the other awards and taste a few of them later. :beer: