watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Nice Touch from Fulham

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, August 02, 2011, 11:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

The club get much stick from the fans (often deserved) but they should be congratulated on this classy farewell to Gera:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/GoodLuck,Zolly.aspx?

Lighthouse

Without the Europa we would bhe dismissing Gera from the memory. But because of it, he will be remembered with much fondness. Another player who was bought to do a job, didn't do well, but because of injury to other players and the football played inthe Europa found his niche.

Good luck to him and well done the club for the roundup in pictures.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Doctor

Seconded.  No doubt he'll get a great reception should he turn out for WBA at The Cottage this coming season.

They have omitted one of the best photos of him though.  This one from after his winner v Hamburg.  The look of incredulous disbelief/being on the verge of tears on his face perfectly mirrored my own emotions at that moment

ImperialWhite

Thanks for the memories, Gera!

:Haynes The Maestro:

sunburywhite

My Avitar has left the building
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Scrumpy

A nice guy who is held in equally high esteem at West Brom.

He'll definately get a rousing reception from me. :Haynes The Maestro:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Quills

Nice one.  I still have my shirt with his name on - I suppose I should update it but I will definitely be wearing it for WBA.

AlFayedsChequebook

I think this is my favourite photo of him:

AlFayedsChequebook

Fulham 2-1 Hamburg Gera Goal

This was such a great moment in the history of Fulham FC. I still smile and get shivers down my spine!

JBH

Well done FFC for the tribute in pictures.

Thanks Zolly for all of the great memories you have given us, it was a pleasure to see you in the Black and White of Fulham, good luck at the Baggies, you will always be treated to a great reception when you return to the Cottage.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING  :Haynes The Maestro: :Haynes The Maestro:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeG5kjqpohg

epsomraver

Not if he scores a hatrick :005:

JBH

Quote from: epsomraver on August 02, 2011, 11:54:54 AM
Not if he scores a hatrick :005:

As long as we won 4 - 3 I'd be happy  :54:

The Bronsons

GEERA! GEERA! GEERA!

Love that man, and look foward to welcoming him back to the Cottage.

Motspur

Cannot agree with the misconception that Gera was only good in European games. That is an increasingly banded about fallacy which if repeated often enough by a sufficient amount of people, it becomes folklore and fact. Gera was a good player - end of.

As is the case for a number of players through the years, he didn't fit into Hughes' plans and was not given a fair opportunity. He played in games last season, played reasonably well and then was dropped immediately for as returning player.

Decent player in my opinion and unlike other mercenaries, he is the kind of player a fan can identify with.

The one real worry for me with the signings being made by Jol is that the whole harmony of the club may be transformed and this, I feel, will be to the ultimate detriment of the club. It's ok to have some undesirables giving 100% on a Saturday, but if their attitude stinks and causes unrest in the dressing room, this often translates into poor form, bad results and a spiral downwards.

I hope that the bit I read about the Fulham medical is true and only players with a good attitude are considered by the club.  

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Motspur on August 02, 2011, 01:39:31 PM
Cannot agree with the misconception that Gera was only good in European games. That is an increasingly banded about fallacy which if repeated often enough by a sufficient amount of people, it becomes folklore and fact. Gera was a good player - end of.

He was a good player - end of - true enough, but he was clearly much better in European competition.

Career average - 473 (98 goals) 4.8 games per goal
Career average (Europe) - 29 (8 goals) 3.6 games per goal

At Fulham this relationship is even stronger:
Total, 17 goals in 117 games - 6.9 games per goal
Europa, 6 goals in 18 games - 3.0 games per goal

I.e. when he was with us he scored more than twice as often when he had a big orange circle on his shirt sleeve.

os5889

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 02, 2011, 01:48:56 PM

He was a good player - end of - true enough, but he was clearly much better in European competition.

I.e. when he was with us he scored more than twice as often when he had a big orange circle on his shirt sleeve.

Cant think of orange circle related scoring euphemism  :014:

ImperialWhite

Quote from: os5889 on August 02, 2011, 02:01:22 PM
Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 02, 2011, 01:48:56 PM

Cant think of orange circle related scoring euphemism  :014:

I meant this:

What do you mean?

CorkedHat

Did we display a similar nice touch when John Pantsil joined Leicester City? I have been a bit busy lately and I may have missed it - if so  075.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

dishEJtheRock!

surprised no one has mentioned his goal against man u. flicked the ball up to himself then biked it now thats swagger. unless that was someone else and im just being stupid. eh who cares im going to believe it was him no matter what you say, quality player i wish he would have stayed

Woolfy

I still think we were wrong to let him go, his experience and goalscoring record in Europe is superb. Just what we need for the coming season.