more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Bloody stoners

Started by King_Crud, August 02, 2011, 01:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King_Crud

'Stoned wallabies make crop circles'

QuoteAustralian wallabies are eating opium poppies and creating crop circles as they hop around "as high as a kite", a government official has said.

Lara Giddings, the attorney general for the island state of Tasmania, said the kangaroo-like marsupials were getting into poppy fields grown for medicine.

She was reporting to a parliamentary hearing on security for poppy crops.

Australia supplies about 50% of the world's legally-grown opium used to make morphine and other painkillers.

We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles. Then they crash

Lara Giddings, government official
"The one interesting bit that I found recently in one of my briefs on the poppy industry was that we have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," Lara Giddings told the hearing.

"Then they crash," she added. "We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8118257.stm

Funniest news story i've read in a while

Scrumpy

Quote from: King_Crud on August 02, 2011, 01:05:57 PM
'Stoned wallabies make crop circles'

QuoteAustralian wallabies are eating opium poppies and creating crop circles as they hop around "as high as a kite", a government official has said.

Lara Giddings, the attorney general for the island state of Tasmania, said the kangaroo-like marsupials were getting into poppy fields grown for medicine.

She was reporting to a parliamentary hearing on security for poppy crops.

Australia supplies about 50% of the world's legally-grown opium used to make morphine and other painkillers.

We have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles. Then they crash

Lara Giddings, government official
"The one interesting bit that I found recently in one of my briefs on the poppy industry was that we have a problem with wallabies entering poppy fields, getting as high as a kite and going around in circles," Lara Giddings told the hearing.

"Then they crash," she added. "We see crop circles in the poppy industry from wallabies that are high."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8118257.stm

Funniest news story i've read in a while

Presumably Gus Uhlenbeek was also stoned when he took to the field. He used to run round and round, and then crash.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

The Doctor

Quote from: Scrumpy on August 02, 2011, 01:30:15 PM
Presumably Gus Uhlenbeek was also stoned when he took to the field. He used to run round and round, and then crash.

Feint inside, tear up the wing, run out of pitch

The novelty wore off after a while

SCFulhmFan

Ha!   Thanks for the chuckle

The Equalizer

I can't say I'm too surprised by this. When I went Down Under we popped to the Australian Reptile Park just north of Sydney and they had a load of wallabies and roos in a pen. We were allowed to go in there and feed them Sugar Puffs!

Not a fan of the roos, but the wallabies were cute little blighters. When you hold out a hand full of Sugar Puffs they paw your hand to get more! Sadly, it wouldn't fit in the suitcase for the flight home though or I would've had one as a pet! ;)

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

The Doctor

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 02, 2011, 02:21:19 PM
When I went Down Under we popped to the Australian Reptile Park just north of Sydney and they had a load of wallabies and roos in a pen.

What for?  Food for the crocs and gators?  Speaking of which - did you ever see croc feeding time at the Sydney Aquarium?  Blow that for a job!

In other 'roo news:

A large, rogue red kangaroo has attacked a 94-year-old woman in her garden in Queensland, Australia.

Phyllis Johnson was hanging out her laundry when the beast bounded into her, knocking her to the ground and kicking her several times.

She tried to fend it off with a broom but had to crawl to safety.

Her son called the police who used pepper spray to subdue it. Mrs Johnson was taken to hospital and the kangaroo was later trapped by rangers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14287357

CorkedHat

I wonder about this story. For a start it says that Lara Giddings is the Attorney General - she isn't. She is the State Premier and has been for seven months. Secondly I lived for four years in the centre of the poppy growing industry on the NW Coast of Tasmania and if this had been a regular or common occurrence I would have heard about it. But it's a nice story all the same. :down_under:
PS There are no crocs in Tasmania - only very bad tempered Devils which are sadly dying out. The Kangaroo attack, however, is true. My wife was attacked by one a few years back so I know how feisty they can be.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

The Equalizer

Quote from: The Doctor on August 02, 2011, 02:27:45 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on August 02, 2011, 02:21:19 PM
When I went Down Under we popped to the Australian Reptile Park just north of Sydney and they had a load of wallabies and roos in a pen.

What for?  Food for the crocs and gators?  Speaking of which - did you ever see croc feeding time at the Sydney Aquarium?  Blow that for a job!

Ha! They had loads of animals there, but we went mainly to see them 'milking' the venom of the Sydney Funnel Web spiders. Scary little fuggers.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

The Doctor

Quote from: CorkedHat on August 02, 2011, 02:34:35 PM
I wonder about this story. For a start it says that Lara Giddings is the Attorney General - she isn't. She is the State Premier and has been for seven months.

I can explain that at least - the story is two years old.  No idea why it's suddenly at the top of the BBC's "most read" list.

Quote from: The Equalizer on August 02, 2011, 02:35:55 PM
but we went mainly to see them 'milking' the venom of the Sydney Funnel Web spiders. Scary little fuggers.

You're a better man than me - I'd probably have run crying at the mere sight of them.  Luckily for me, I didn't see any live arachnids in my time out there.  I've a mate who lives in Sydney, and he once had someone over from the UK who came across a funnel web in his back garden.  Utterly oblivious to the peril he was in, this bloke was provoking the spider and thought it was cool that he could make the thing rear up on its hind legs.  When my mate told him it was one of the world's deadliest spiders and was lining up an attack, he couldn't wait to be out of there.  The stuff of nightmares as far as I'm concerned

The Equalizer

Fortunately they were behind a glass screen. Some bird was picking them out of these jars with some forceps then using a pump driven pipette to suck the venom from their fangs. You could see this stuff dripping from the fangs as they rose up. Incredible creatures, but surprisingly crap at attacking people. They can't run and bite at the same time, plus they have to rear their legs up. A swift size 10 can deal with them surprisingly quickly.

As an aside, when I was in Sydney on the first night, me and my friends whose house I was staying at had a few drinks in their back yard. We were sitting on these deck chairs with the plastic arms and chatting for a good couple of hours before fatigue got the better of me. Anyway, before long we went to bed, but I decided to read my book for half an hour to send me off. I slipped under the sheets and felt my foot touch something. When I threw the duvet back there was a load of rubber spiders and snakes at the bottom of the bed. I screamed the house down! Then I heard my friends Candi and Jon chuckling away to themselves in the next room. Bastards.

Well, the next day I was in the back yard again having a smoke when I spotted something move on the arm of the deckchair that I was sitting on. Being careful, I stooped down to have a look and spotted no less than 30 Red Back spiders on the underside of the left arm rest. About an inch from where my arm had been resting the night before.

Now that is scary.

King_Crud

school camp in Sydney, there's a group of us in one of the huts, sitting around. Girl walks down the middle of the room and a funnel web tries to jump on her from the ceiling but misses. It's sat in the middle of the floor and we start yelling "kill it" and grabbing our shoes. A Turkish guy in our class who had just moved to oz, and was a proper hippy, jumps up and stands over the spider to stop us from killing it. We quickly push him out of the way and STOMP.

Seen heaps of red backs, and a few funnel webs, but that's the first time i've seen them be agressive.

Burt

Stoned wallabies probably wouldn't account for the crop circles in the UK  :dft011: