watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Exclusive: The First ever Fulham FC Badge from 1898

Started by LBNo11, August 05, 2011, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bronsons

Would be good if they added a shirt with this badge to the heritage line in the shop. They could clear some of the crappo Jacko stuff out to make room for it.

Travers Barney

Nice LB.

A one off subtle little 'promo' t shirt depicting the 1898 logo would soon gather cult status and sell through the roof i reckon.

Could FOF incorporate in their collection?

We are the whites
We are the whites

ron

The shirts would've been red and white in the style of Arsenal at the time (I read somewhere, perhaps on these learned pages, that an earlier chairman admired the Gunners and imitated the colours). I'd like that badge to feature on this site, but as mentioned earlier, for the Hammersmith borough type crest to adorn the shirts again.

...Oh, and chuck those shorts into the dustbin, and go and get some proper ones.

LBNo11

...that chairman ron was Henry Norris, a local housebuilder, an almost tyrannical figure who the local and footballing authorities were scared of, basically a bully used to getting his own way, he was eventually to become mayor of Fulham. In 1910 he bought a penniless  Plumstead based Woolwich Arsenal and being on both boards (he remained on both for several years) tried to force a merger with Fulham and when that failed he bought Highbury and employed the same architect of Fulham's ground Archibald Leitch to design the gooners ground.

His dubious methods of control led to his infamy, as soon as the football league resumed after the First World War in 1919, he managed to bully and probably bribe the football authorities into promoting Arsenal into the top flight - even though they had only finished 5th in the second tier (same old Arsenal - always cheating!). He finally got his come-uppance in 1927 when he was banned from football by the FA.

Arsenal have remained in the top flight ever since, and to add insult to injury and keep their rivalry intact, when Arsenal were promoted it was at the expense of spurs!

Lovely man
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

LBNo11

...hopefully this will be a bigger picture of the badge:-

ron

Chapter and verse of FFC history as ever, LB !

Many thanks for that....every bit of history learnt has a habit of fitting into a bigger picture in the future.

Talking of someone of similar character in later years trying to get on the board of two different clubs...but no, Robert Maxwell was a nice man.........wasn't he?

Rupert

Hi LB, agree with your account apart from the last line, I thought it was Barnsley who were denied promotion to the expanded top flight in 1919.

Still means that Arsenal are in the top division by cheating and need to be relegated to set things right.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

LBNo11

Quote from: Rupert on August 06, 2011, 10:45:23 AM
Hi LB, agree with your account apart from the last line, I thought it was Barnsley who were denied promotion to the expanded top flight in 1919.

Still means that Arsenal are in the top division by cheating and need to be relegated to set things right.

...Rupert, yes it was Barnsley who didn't get the promotion, but it was spurs who were relegated from the old first division to make room for Arsenal.

How exactly this was allowed to happen has never been explained by the FA, and no documents have ever been released (surprised?)...

Riversider

Should we change our rather gay nickname to "" The Blades""    065.gif

Burt

In these days our shirts used to be red with white sleeves...

WhiteJC

I've finally got around to drawing the 1898 badge  :dft001:

you can see the history of the badge here...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/theBadge.php

LBNo11

Quote from: WhiteJC on August 14, 2011, 04:39:18 PM
I've finally got around to drawing the 1898 badge  :dft001:

you can see the history of the badge here...
http://www.friendsoffulham.com/theBadge.php

...nice work John, the badge is growing on me..!

WhiteJC