News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

old films: Fulham 1983 (Warning - includes the Derby match)

Started by tavytina, August 06, 2011, 01:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tavytina

tavytina

tavytina

Lighthouse

That season still sticks in the memory. I couldn't believe how even in those days, I knew we would be cheated out of promotion. Derby was a scandal and the cowards of the Football League wouldn't replay the game, despite the Police and the ref losing control of the crowd.  Whatever happens in our history, we deserve what luck there is after those games. That feeling after the Leicester match as I walked away from the ground is coming back to me.  090.gif

The Derby game was even worse because I was listening at work on the radio. Why did you have to bring back all those awful memories?  085.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

I have never seen that Derby footage since actually being there on that awful day...

The fans were frikking animals. As well as kicking our players off the pitch, we got stuff lobbed at us during the match (there were home fans in the tier above) and on the way back to the station.

It led me to write my only ever letter of complaint, to Graham Kelly, then league chairman, asking him to justify why the match would not be replayed given there was 7 minutes of crowd encroachment and a minute and a bit left to go when the game was (in effect) abandoned. The only league game in history to be abandoned and never replayed, at that time.

Fair play to him, he actually did respond, and said that the match couldn't be replayed as you would not be able to recreate the conditions prior to the match. Specifically, on the day Derby could have been relegated. As it happens, the way the other results went, they would be safe regardless of the result against us, so it would therefore not be fair to have a game when Fulham only had something to play for.

WRONG!!

We were kicked and conned out of promotion.

And the spineless officials did nothing about it.

No justice...

I remember this day so vividly. It still winds me up after all these years.

:035:

Pata

Never knew about 1983. Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Tonywa

Quite frankly the way we played for much of the latter part of that season, particularly away from home, we wouldn't have won promotion at Derby if we had been out there for another two hours, let alone a few minutes.

Tonywa

the early part of that season was wonderful and it remains the best, fast attacking football I have ever seen from a Fulham side.  A joy to watch.

LordNelson

Notice the all RED kit.  
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Burt

Burt

The pitch was a shocker in those days... Can't remember whether the rugby league team were sharing it at that stage.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Burt on August 06, 2011, 11:32:49 AM
I have never seen that Derby footage since actually being there on that awful day...

The fans were frikking animals. As well as kicking our players off the pitch, we got stuff lobbed at us during the match (there were home fans in the tier above) and on the way back to the station.

It led me to write my only ever letter of complaint, to Graham Kelly, then league chairman, asking him to justify why the match would not be replayed given there was 7 minutes of crowd encroachment and a minute and a bit left to go when the game was (in effect) abandoned. The only league game in history to be abandoned and never replayed, at that time.

Fair play to him, he actually did respond, and said that the match couldn't be replayed as you would not be able to recreate the conditions prior to the match. Specifically, on the day Derby could have been relegated. As it happens, the way the other results went, they would be safe regardless of the result against us, so it would therefore not be fair to have a game when Fulham only had something to play for.

WRONG!!

No justice...

First time i've seen it as well Burt, and i was also there. It would be almost impossible for me to not have hit a few of thier fans with a few large stones as there were so many of them throwing stuff at us outside, really hope it hurt them. Scum vermin,nice to be reminded why i hate them so much.

Burt

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 06, 2011, 05:01:13 PM

WRONG!!

No justice...

First time i've seen it as well Burt, and i was also there. It would be almost impossible for me to not have hit a few of thier fans with a few large stones as there were so many of them throwing stuff at us outside, really hope it hurt them. Scum vermin,nice to be reminded why i hate them so much.

I remember the "football special" getting wrecked on the way back to Euston. In fact, if memory serves me correct, we went back via Leicester and most of the contents of the train got slung out when we went through the station.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Burt on August 06, 2011, 05:58:17 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on August 06, 2011, 05:01:13 PM

WRONG!!

No justice...

I remember the "football special" getting wrecked on the way back to Euston. In fact, if memory serves me correct, we went back via Leicester and most of the contents of the train got slung out when we went through the station.
I was on the special as well, A certain Shady charactor was a steward or something i recall. Didn't the emergengy stop get pressed at Liecester? I think i chucked a fire ex (cant spell it) putter outer and a few bottles. I still hate and liecester as well.

Travers Barney

I was on the special too...seem to recall the match programme being a newspaper...remember the pigs head being thrown at us from the stand above...long horrible walk back to the station with people being picked off.

Concur with Tonywa regarding our form from spring onwards..the defeat against Leicester and Coney's non scoring ultimitely determining our fate.

We are the whites
We are the whites

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

jarv

I had forgotten all abut this. Absolutely disgraceful and begs the question, why was the game not abandoned and a replay behind closed doors (plus a hefty fine/punishment for derby). Unbelieveable. 096.gig 083.gif :014: