watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (06/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 06, 2011, 06:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

'1+1' = 2: Did Ukrainian TV deal cost Fulham second-leg home advantage?

Earlier this afternoon the draw for the play-off round for entrance to this year's Europa League proper took place with Fulham being drawn against Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, with the second leg scheduled to take place at Craven Cottage.

However, shortly afterwards the announcement came that 'UEFA [had] reversed the home and away legs,' with Fulham no longer the beneficiaries of the widely-accepted advantage of having the second-leg at home. Coyly, the London club have offered little further comment, and no explanation is yet to emerge from UEFA, although one assumes an official announcement will cite the move being made either for television reasons or to avoid fixture clashes with other Ukrainian and English teams in the competition.

Interestingly however, it might be of note that Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk are controlled by the Privat Group, an international business group with – for want of a better phrase – many fingers in many pies, and not just Ukrainian ones either (steel, oil, media, food, banking amongst others, across the Ukraine, Russia, the US, Ghana and beyond). It is a far reaching web.

Where this gets interesting however is that the Privat Group is essentially controlled by three men, Henadiy Boholyubov, Oleksiy Martynov, and Ihor Kolomoyskyi, the latter of whom is the most prominent, the wealthiest, and of most interest.

Kolomoyskyi, who just last year was reported to have amassed a personal fortune in excess of $6bn (yes, six billion US dollars!), is reported to now own a significant amount of the Ukrainian television channel 1+1, the free-to-air broadcaster that just yesterday was announced to have been 'awarded the media rights for the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League.'

The amount of ownership Kolomoyskyi enjoys, and indeed the price he paid, varies according to different sources, with some saying he paid $100m for 49% of channel 1+1, and others reporting a figure of $300m for the entirety of Central European Media Enterprises Ltd.'s stake in the channel.

Regardless, it remains unavoidable the fact that the man who in a roundabout way co-owns Dnipro and 1+1 has recently agreed to pay UEFA a suitably pleasing amount of money for the right to host the television coverage of European football in the Ukraine, and following the draw for the Europa League play-off matches, has seen UEFA reverse the tie between Dnipro and Fulham so that his side will benefit from the advantage of having the second leg at home.

Furthermore, as of yet none of the other English teams in the draw (Tottenham, Birmingham and Stoke) have had their fixture rearranged, with the same applying to the four other Ukrainian sides in the play-offs – Metalist Kharkiv, Vorskla Poltava, Karpaty Lviv, and Dynamo Kyiv.

Although there is such a thing is innocent coincidence, it does not take a rocket scientist to put two and two (or perhaps that should be 1+1) together here – what stance you take is entirely your choice. Officially, at least, it is likely to be declared that the Fulham-Dnipro tie has been reversed ultimately for television purposes, or to avoid fixture congestion (perfectly viable given the fact Tottenham also have their second leg at home), however it would be foolish to completely disregard the political machinations in the background.

Surely it is at least worth bearing in mind...

http://sportingblogs.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/%e2%80%9811%e2%80%99-2-did-ukrainian-tv-deal-cost-fulham-second-leg-home-advantage/

WhiteJC

Wolves Away Fixture

Fulham's first away game of the season against Wolves will now take place at 2pm on Sunday, 21st August, subject to final ratification from the league.

The game has been moved back from the Saturday after the Whites' victory in the UEFA Europa League qualifier with RNK Split.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/WolvesAwayFixture.aspx?#ixzz1UE35QJ9d

WhiteJC

Win Fulham v Aston Villa tickets!

A pair of tickets to next week's Premier League opener up for grabs

EA SPORTS™, the Official Sports Technology Partner of the Premier League, has teamed up with the Fulham Chronicle to offer one lucky reader a pair of tickets to your team's next Barclays Premier League Match. The winner will also receive a copy of FIFA 12*.

EASPORTS is the proud sponsor of the Premier League Player Performance Index. The EA SPORTS Player Performance Index is the Barclay Premier League's official statistical index of all 20 Barclays Premier League teams.

The EA SPORTS Team of the Week will be available at www.premierleague.com after each round of the Barclays Premier League. The team will be based on ratings from the EA SPORTS Player Performance Index.

To stand a chance of winning, simply answer the following question:

Who is Aston Villa's manager?

To enter, visit our Facebook page, click 'like' and post your answer underneath the question. Closing date for entries is midday Monday (August 8). Normal competition rules apply.

*FIFA 12 is released on Friday 30th September

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/08/05/win-fulham-v-aston-villa-tickets-82029-29184236/?#ixzz1UE3R1FLC

WhiteJC

Fulham to face Ukraine's Dnipro in play-off

Fulham will take on Ukrainian side Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the Europa League qualifying play-off stage.

Craven Cottage will host the first leg on 18 August, with the return match at the Dnipro Arena – where England played Ukraine in 2009 - seven days later.

The winner of the tie will qualify for the group stage proper, which gets underway on 15 September

Martin Jol's men will face an emerging team that has been put together courtesy of a major cash injection.

Dnipro's signings this year have included highly-rated Ghana defender Samuel Inkoom and they are reported to have made a £6m bid for Blackburn target man Nikola Kalinic.

Fulham's progression to the play-offs was secured by Thursday's 2-0 win against RNK Split in the third qualifying round.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-to-face-dnipro-in-play-off/?

WhiteJC

Play-Off Switched

Following the draw for the Europa League Play-Off tie against FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, UEFA has reversed the home and away legs.

The home fixture will now take place on Thursday 18th August (19:30 Kick-Off), with the away leg taking place on Thursday 25th August (Kick-Off TBC).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/EuropaLeaguePlay-OffDraw.aspx?#ixzz1UE44W6Vu

WhiteJC

Fulham to face Dnipro
by DAN on AUGUST 5, 2011

Fulham have been drawn against Dnipro of Ukraine, managed by Juande Ramos, in the play-off round of the Europa League.

The first leg will be away from home on August 18, with the return leg at Craven Cottage a week later.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/fulham-to-face-dnipro/?

WhiteJC

Ukraine clash on cards for Cottagers

Fulham have been drawn against Dnipro in the Europa League play-off draw in Nyon.

The Cottagers eased past RNK Split with a comfortable 2-0 home win on Thursday night.

Martin Jol's side, who have been in action in the competition since qualifying started at the end of June, will play the first leg at the Dnipro Arena, before returning to Craven Cottage.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/ukraine-clash-on-cards-for-cottagers-1253191.html?

WhiteJC

DEMPSEY HOPING TO BUILD

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey wants the Cottagers to net more goals this year in order to better last season's eighth-place finish.

The 28-year-old has been an integral player for the Whites since joining the club from New England Revolution in January 2007, becoming a cult hero in west London in the process.

During Dempsey's four-and-a-half-year spell at the club, Fulham have established themselves as Barclays Premier League regulars and even made it to the Europa League final last year.

Now the United States international has targeted even more success and believes the added flair brought by recently-appointed Martin Jol can help the team push forward.

"We want to better what we did last season," he said. "We have a good core group of guys who have been here through the most successful period.

"These last three years have been great. We want to make a good run in the Europa League and see what we can do in the cups.

"We've got more depth to our team and I think we're going to be a tough team to play against.

"I think we are going to try to play with a little bit more attacking flair [this season], although I thought last year we were pretty good in attack as well.

"But getting the outside backs to push up more forward and take more risks, as long as they're calculated, is going to add to our attack, so hopefully we can continue to score goals and try to keep as many clean sheets as possible.

"We've always been a team that was tough to break down and hopefully we can maintain that but add more goals to the season."

Dempsey was speaking after Thursday night's Europa League third qualifying round clash with RNK Split at Craven Cottage.

After enduring a tough goalless draw in the first leg in Croatia last week, the Cottagers saw off the Reds 2-0 on home soil thanks to goals from Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy.

The match also marked Dempsey's return to the team after a prolonged break following his exertions on international duty at the Gold Cup.

While some have suggested the midfielder could struggle due to the amount of football he has played over the summer, Dempsey was philosophical about the break.

"I had 24 days, something like that. It is what it is," he said.

"Your career is short and you have to make the most of it. It is trying to find the right balance.

"You can't really take too long off because when you take a long period of time off it is difficult to come back, you start picking up injuries.

"It is almost better to stay fit almost all year round.

"But you do need a bit of a break and I feel I got enough of a break and I'm ready to put in a good season."

Speaking on yesterday's match, he added: "It was good, first half I thought we had good movement and good possession, we created chances.

"Then second half I thought they pressed the game, it was difficult to play but we ground out a result.

"For me it was good to get 80 minutes and trying to get my fitness up. I'm still not 100% there, it's only going to come with time.

"But for my first game back I felt pretty good."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/08/05/SOCCER_Fulham_Nightlead.html

WhiteJC

Fulham through to face Dnirpo

There's something subconsciously assuring when you see Danny Murphy step up to take a penalty. There's not quite an arrogant belief that he will most definitely score, but there's enough of a presumption to get your fists ready in celebratory preparation.

Yet again, such fist wrangling was prevalent as Fulham, for want of a more suitable word, smoothed over the potential banana skin of Croatian side RNK Split at the Cottage last night. Danny Murphy and Andrew Johnson got the goals in what was, to much relief, a comforting performance in front of the home crowd.

Martin Jol's men started vociferously, hitting two shots on target in the same number of minutes, clearly in an attempt to put last week's bland and meek display behind them.

The match then began to fluctuate in tempo with Bobby Zamora, playing despite ample strapping on his broken hand, failing to make an impact and RNK countering the wide play for which we can expect to be famous for come season's end.

For all their solid defensive work, however, Ivan Katalinic's men were outdone and, more surprisingly, out-jumped by one of the smaller men on the pitch when a Damien Duff corner was headed in by Andrew Johnson. The goal managed to entice RNK Split from their resolute security a little, as the visitor's searched for a goal in reply. A few sharp breaths were taken as long shots were flung towards Schwarzer's goal, but the Australian was never in too much trouble.

Clint Dempsey looked as sharp as ever as he returned to the starting line-up, his wing play causing no-end of problems. The Texan-born midfielder's close control has proven to be on of the utmost intricacies of his play, and it was such delicacies in touch that drew the first card of the game, as Ivan Baraban brutally challenged the American. That somewhat set the tone for the Croatians throughout the game, who were visibly frustrated with Fulham's general dominance.

RNK appeared revitalised after the break, but away hopes were dashed as Andrew Johnson was brought down in the area and Murphy cooly (is there any need to use this adverb, as we're a bit used to it now?) powered home the penalty.

The game never sparked back into full fruition after RNK were affectively seen off with Murphy's strike -  the only highlights being the return of injury-stricken Moussa Dembele. The Dutchman had little impact, even when joined on the field by new signing Pajtim Kasami who himself has impressed in the little playing time he has been granted.

With the 2-0 win secured, Fulham now face Dnirpo in the play off round. Only seventeen more matches to go, hey?

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/8/5/2346092/fulham-through-to-face-dnirpo?

WhiteJC

Reunions

Well, we're off to Dnipropetrovsk for yet another pre-Group Stage Europa League encounter. But rather than this be some random trip to the heart of The Ukraine against a side with a really cool badge, there's actually some levels of familiarity amongst the two sides.

First, the coaches.

Just about four years ago, after a few months of flirtation, Ramos was plucked from Sevilla to succeed Jol as manager of Spurs. Four months later Ramos would go on to lead Spurs to the Carling Cup Final, and win it, only to be fired within the year. I don't have the audio handy, but I recall Pat Dolan of Setanta saying that the players got Ramos fired — the same that got Jol fired too?

Since leaving Spurs, Jol has managed at HSV, Ajax, and now Fulham. Ramos went to Real Madrid, CSKA Moscow, and is now at Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. This is the first time the two will face another since their respective stints at Spurs.

Second, this fella.

Remember Jan Laštůvka? I wrote about him last year when compiling "Fulham's Worst":

Jan Lastuvka. In his 12 appearances with Fulham, the on-loan goalkeeper kept just two clean sheets: an FA Cup win over Stoke City [Ed. Then just a mid-table Championship side], and when he played about 30mins after Antti Niemi almost broke his neck.

Perhaps I was being a bit harsh to Jan but his overall record stands as: 15 goals against in 8 league games; 24 goals against in 12 total appearances. Perhaps it was the porous defense, perhaps it was him, perhaps it was both. But still, yikes.

Since going back to Shakhtar Donetsk after his loan with us expired, Jan went on loan to Karlsruhe and West Ham United before ending up as Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk's #1 keeper. In the five years that have passed, only Matthew Briggs, Simon Davies, and Clint Dempsey remain from the side(s) that once lined up in front (or with?) Jan.

Am I missing any other reunions?

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/05/reunions/?

WhiteJC

ANDY JOHNSON BLASTS FULHAM INTO THE EUROPA LEAGUE PLAY-OFF ROUND

ANDY JOHNSON was the star as he headed Fulham into the Europa League play-off round.

Johnson nodded home after 19 minutes before Danny Murphy sealed the win with a spot-kick just after the restart.

Boss Martin Jol had last season's star man Clint Dempsey back after he had been given an extended break following international duty with America.

And the home side looked in a hurry to put the tie to bed, Damien Duff firing wide twice in the opening two minutes. But the visitors' giant defensive trio of Velimir Vidic, Goran Milovic and Ivica Krizanac soon got into the game and Fulham struggled to trouble the Croatian side's goal.

Then Johnson broke the deadlock out of nowhere, leaping to head home Duff's corner with keeper Andrija Vukovic hopelessly out of position.

Duje Cop should have levelled for RNK three minutes later, but he blasted over from 15 yards.

Dempsey could have made it two on 27 minutes after he rounded two defenders only to shoot wide.

Then Ante Vitaic went close at the start of the second half with a free-kick from just outside the area, following Brede Hangeland's lunge on Ivan Baraban.

But Vidic hacked down Johnson on 55 minutes and Murphy made no mistake from the penalty spot, sending keeper Vukovic the wrong way.

Milovic was unlucky on the hour when his header from Ante Erceg's free-kick hit the underside of the crossbar but bounced out.

And in a frantic finale Mark Schwarzer pulled off a one-handed save to keep out Predrag Simic before Marko Jordan's header flew over.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/204626/Andy-Johnson-blasts-Fulham-into-the-Europa-League-play-off-round/?

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Q&A with John Pantsil

Ghana defender John Pantsil has taken a step-down in his career by signing for English Championship side Leicester City.

The right-back was key player for Premier League side Fulham until he fell out of favour following a knee injury.

He was released by the Cottagers but he has found comfort in the ambitious Leicester City side who have Sven Goran Eriksson as coach.

As the Championship starts on Saturday, Pantsil talks exclusively to MTNFootball.com.

MTNFootball.com: Many have criticised you for choosing Leicester City which is a second-tier side. What did the club say to convince you?

Nothing. I am convinced of the vision of Leicester City. I don't understand those who say Leicester is a small club. If you compare Leicester with some clubs in the Premier League you will understand that Leicester is steeped in the history of English football than some of these clubs. It is just because it's a Championship team but we are only one step to get to the Premier League.

The coach was interested in me and you can't underrate the calibre of coach Eriksson. He is a special coach and everyone knows about him – the whole world knows about his quality. For me, I always want to work with the manager who will trust me and give me playing time. That is what I want.

I am not the player who wants to take money and sit down, enjoying life. I want to play. Football is my job and I enjoy playing it. So, I don't want people to think that Leicester City is a lower team. The facilities there, everything is big and talking about the financial terms, I'm very very happy about what I'm earning there.

MTNFootball.com: It took you some time before finalizing your move to the Leicester City. Were you also close to joining any other club?

There were more teams from Europe and also about six Premiership teams which I turned down to pick Leicester. Because every footballer knows where he wants to be and where he will please his fans and family. I can say the move to Leicester is a good one and I will never regret it.

MTNFootball.com: Leicester are coached by the famous Sven Goran-Eriksson. Did the gaffer play a big role in you joining the club?

He did. Honestly speaking, this manager has been following me for long and not because I was out of contract so I accepted his invitation because he trusts in my ability.He wanted me for a long time and I think this was the right time to also go with him because he trusts me. It is not that my agent is pushing me to sign me but he (Eriksson) was really dying to sign me.

I also looked at the club, the fans and the vision. Like I said earlier on, this is what I want- I want to work with the manager who has faith in me or who is going play me in every game.

I always want to be ready for my nation. Because, I'm a national figure and I don't want to go to a team that I won't be ready, I won't be playing games and then later on it's going to be a problem for me. So, playing time is my weapon, it's everything that I am looking.

MTNFootball.com: He (Eriksson) talked a lot about your qualities. Does it put pressure on you in anyway?

My entire career, I have never been under pressure. I enjoy playing football and I enjoy playing with my team mates and for my manager and my fans. For me, I am an emotional person to be honest with you. I don't like it when my manager disrespects me and doesn't give me playing time. I always need attention from the manager so with this man I have got everything I need in football.

I quite remember three years ago when I joined Fulham, everyone was talking about my performance. It was great because he (Roy Hodgson) was there for me.

Every time, he polished me in training. Every game he will call me to his office to advice me to improve and that brings my confidence up and you saw what we achieved that year with Fulham.

But you could see the changes when Mark Hughes came. I'm not criticizing anybody but when he came, a lot of things turned upside down. For me, like I said, the manager who gives me playing time and is there for me is the one I will want to work with.

MTNFootball.com: What can John Panstil give to Leicester City?

I have got a lot to give because it's a big challenge to me. Our chairman is also spending a lot of money to promote the team to the Premiership and has brought in a lot of players. And the players are quality players and more professional.

It's not going to be only me but I know I have got good team mates that we will stick together and work together and bring the team to a certain level. Next season by God's grace, we will be there.

MTNFootball.com: Do you feel you (Leicester) can play in the top level like the English Premier League again? I believe strongly. Now I'm praying for the team qualify to the Premiership. I do not doubt it because we have got everything that it takes to go to the Premiership.

Our training pitch, our stadium, the fans will be there and also the kind of players we have got and the manager. We are going to stick together and work as a team. Next season we will get there and when we get there we will stay up and show people what we can do in the Premiership.

MTNFootball.com: How much do you know about the Championship because it has got more teams than the Premier League which means more matches?

Championship is a very tough competition and it's not easy. It is very difficult. I trained with the team and I know how difficult it will be. It's not going to be easy. When I was playing in the Premier League, I used to watch them sometimes. Even when they are playing play-off or when it getting to the end of the season, they telecast a lot of Championship games.

So I know how it works when you are playing in the league. It's a very difficult one. If you are not fit, you're not strong enough, you don't have power, I think you are going to drop on the way.

And also it is good that you will be playing a lot of games. It's about 42 to 45 games in a year. Not talking about the FA Cup and Carling Cup. So it's a lot. For me I'm looking at, the whole season, playing 60 or 65 matches for Leicester. That is my target. I know it won't be easy but with my God, everything will be okay and I will succeed.

MTNFootball.com: You have played in England for five years. How would you rate yourself?

I think I have done fantastically well. In West Ham, I spent two years which I didn't get a lot of playing time due to a change in manager. I came to Fulham and I got a lot of playing time and in my three years, I played about 98 games which were good and I was pleased about my performance and also the position of the team.

In my first season, we were seventh. Second season, we came 12th and the third season it was 8th position so it's a big achievement and I think that I've done a lot and I'm happy with the five years in the Premiership.

MTNFootball.com: Last season was quiet an memorable one. What did you tell yourself especially when you scored those three own goals in a season?

For me I am not thinking about it all because own goals are part of the game and mistakes are part of football so whether own goal or proper goal for me I'm not thinking about it. It's past and gone and I want to think about the future.

I have never thought about the negative past. So what has happened is gone. Like I said, if you have a manager who trusts you, who will never frustrate you, then you play and enjoy your game all the time.

But playing under a coach that you feel like you are under-fire, always trying to prove yourself, you have to prove yourself, that does not work for me. With my new manager, I'm getting on well with him and everything will be okay with me.

MTNFootball: Finally you had an amazing time at Fulham. How did it feel when you were leaving Fulham?

To be honest it felt like leaving your family forever. That was not a good feeling.

I felt like crying because I like the club and fans and the fans were like my family. I didn't have the time and chance to say bye to the fans and that hurt me a lot.

I wish them good luck for the future and every success they wish for themselves. At least I go with the feeling that I was part of the history of Fulham.

I am grateful to the club and fans for the opportunity to serve them. I have a new family with Leicester and I know we will be successful there. Thank you.

Source: MTNFootall.com

http://www.ghanasoccernet.com/exclusive-qa-with-john-pantsil/?

WhiteJC

The Toughest Test

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland has predicted a testing UEFA Europa League qualifying fixture lies in wait as the Whites face FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the qualification Play-Off.

The Ukrainian side, managed by former Tottenham Hotspur manager Juande Ramos, come highly rated and have European experience, reaching the Group Stages of the UEFA Cup in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

"We expect it to be the toughest tie yet," Hangeland told fulhamfc.com. "But that's what you have to expect the closer you get to the Group Stage – from which we are now just two games away from.

"Of course, we want to do well in the UEFA Europa League and we want to make sure that coming back so early hasn't been for nothing because this is a competition that we all have good memories from."

Fulham's season is now already in its second month, extending their run following Thursday night's 2-0 second leg defeat of RNK Split (2-0 on aggregate) which was the team's sixth of the competition so far.

"There's already been a fair bit of football, but we've needed to get through these early rounds in order to give it another good go," added Hangeland. "As I said, the opposition gets stronger the further you go.
"RNK Split were a good side and we should give them credit – they played some decent football. They caused us a few problems in the first leg and at times did the same in the second.

"Fortunately, we played very well in the first 45 minutes, probably playing as well as we have done so far this season. AJ took his goal really well and that settled us down before Danny added a second. From then on I think we were quite comfortable and certainly deserved to go through."

Fulham will host Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, who include former reserve goalkeeper Jan Lastuvka in their squad, on Thursday 18th August, before travelling to the Ukraine for the second time in three years on Thursday 25th August for the second leg.

"One of the good things about football, particularly when you play in Europe, is that it gives you the opportunity to see and experience different countries," he said. "Of course, that comes from playing in this competition and we'll try to keep that up.

"It's been very enjoyable so far and to go out now, when we are this close to the Group Stage would be devastating. So, as we always do, we'll take each game as it comes and give it our best."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/HangelandRNKReaction.aspx?#ixzz1UE7MUply

WhiteJC

COTTAGERS IN FOR STRIKER

Martin Jol is still weighing up his attacking options at Fulham as he looks to bolster his strike force ahead of the new season.

The Cottagers await the outcome of their bid to buy at least one unnamed striker after they had a £3m offer for Cameron Jerome rejected by Birmingham in the week.

The Dutchman is fully aware of the need to have reliable cover to support his current attacking line-up. Bobby Zamora missed the majority of last season with a broken leg and suffered a further injury scare, breaking his hand in the 0-0 draw away to Croatian side RNK Split last week.

However, the 30-year-old will still be fully fit for the start of the season as he is able to play in a cast.

Despite this, Jol does not want to have a similar situation to last year when Zamora was absent, with Clint Dempsey being heavily relied upon, scoring 12 league goals for the Whites.

Having released Diomansy Kamara this summer and Andy Johnson and Moussa Dembele only netting six league goals between them last season, it is an area that Jol will want to add to.

The former Tottenham boss has targeted a number of former players to add to his squad at Fulham, including Robbie Keane and Jermain Defoe.

There is the possibility of a season long loan deal for Defoe who struggled to get a regular run of games at White Hart Lane last season.

The priority for now will be maintaining the fitness of Zamora, to try and reignite the form he showed in the 2009-10 campaign.

http://www.shoot.co.uk/news/latest_article/C48/premier_league/cottagers_in_for_striker/?

WhiteJC

Dempsey eyes Fulham improvement
American ace reckons Cottagers can enjoy more success this term

Dempsey: Raring to go despite international duty this summer

Clint Dempsey believes Fulham have the strength in depth to improve on last season's eighth-place finish.

The American midfielder has been an integral part of the Cottagers' success in recent seasons, claiming a best-ever league finish of seventh in 2008/09 before reaching the 2010 Europa League final.

Now the 28-year-old has targeted even more success given the additions Martin Jol has made to the squad this summer.

Dempsey believes the new boss has added flair to the team and he reckons the Dutchman can lead them to bigger and better things this term.

"We want to better what we did last season," he said. "We have a good core group of guys who have been here through the most successful period.

"These last three years have been great. We want to make a good run in the Europa League and see what we can do in the cups.

More depth

"We've got more depth to our team and I think we're going to be a tough team to play against.

"I think we are going to try to play with a little bit more attacking flair, although I thought last year we were pretty good in attack as well.

"But getting the outside backs to push up more forward and take more risks, as long as they're calculated, is going to add to our attack, so hopefully we can continue to score goals and try to keep as many clean sheets as possible.

"We've always been a team that was tough to break down and hopefully we can maintain that but add more goals to the season."

Dempsey was speaking after Thursday night's Europa League third qualifying round clash with RNK Split at Craven Cottage.

After enduring a tough goalless draw in the first leg in Croatia last week, Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy scored to give the Cottagers a 2-0 win and book a play-off with Ukrainian side FC Dnipro.

Dempsey return

The European game also marked Dempsey's return after a prolonged break due to international duty at the Gold Cup and he insists he is raring to go in the new Premier League campaign.

"I had 24 days, something like that," he said. "Your career is short and you have to make the most of it. It is trying to find the right balance.

"You can't really take too long off because when you take a long period of time off it is difficult to come back, you start picking up injuries.

"It is almost better to stay fit almost all year round. But you do need a bit of a break and I feel I got enough of a break and I'm ready to put in a good season."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7083197,00.html?

WhiteJC

Moussa Dembele sets fitness target after Fulham comeback

MOUSSA Dembele reckons he will be back to full fitness by the end of the month.

The Fulham frontman has been struggling with a knee injury, but made his first appearance of the season as a late substitute in last night's Europa League win against RNK Split.

But the Belgian star believes he will be firing on all cylinders by the time the Whites visit Newcastle later this month.

He said: "It felt good to be back. After five minutes I was already tired but It's nice to be part of the group again.

"My knee felt all right. It's not 100 per cent yet but I'm getting there. Each day in training I feel better and better.

"I don't think it's going to be long until I'm up to speed. It will probably take a few games."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/08/05/moussa-dembele-sets-fitness-target-after-fulham-comeback-82029-29185863/?#ixzz1UE8Sffdh

WhiteJC

The Big Debate

As part of a new feature in this season's matchday programme, we're inviting fans on Fulham's social networking channels to have their say on topical football subjects.

Ahead of every home Premier League game, we'll post a question of Facebook and Twitter and invite you to respond with your thoughts. Our pick of the responses will be selected and printed in the following matchday programme.

Given that we're a week away from the start of a new Premier League season, the subject of the first debate is:

Six games in, what are your early impressions of Martin Jol's Fulham, and what are your expectations for 2011/12?

Have your say on Facebook

or

Respond via Twitter

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/TheBigDebate.aspx?#ixzz1UE8ppeJQ

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3734169/Prem-trio-target-Pedro-Leon.html

Prem trio target Pedro Leon

Published: 05 Aug 2011

EVERTON, Aston Villa and Fulham have all contacted Real Madrid about taking Pedro Leon, 24, on loan.

Former Spanish Under-21 midfielder Leon wants a switch to England after falling out with boss Jose Mourinho at Real.

WhiteJC

Hangeland wary of Europe
Norway international hopes to relive Europa League glory

Hangeland: Fulham defender expects more tough tests in Europe for the rest of the season

Brede Hangeland insists Fulham will face a difficult game against FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in their Europa League qualifier.

The Ukrainian side will be well prepared for the game as they are managed by former Tottenham boss Juande Ramos, who will be well aware of the dangers Fulham possess.

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk have gained rich experience in Europe over the last few years, reaching the group stages in consecutive seasons of the Uefa Cup in 2003, 2004 and 2005.

"We expect it to be the toughest tie yet," Hangeland told Fulham's official website.

Group Stage

"But that's what you have to expect the closer you get to the group stage - from which we are now just two games away from.

"Of course, we want to do well in the UEFA Europa League and we want to make sure that coming back so early hasn't been for nothing because this is a competition that we all have good memories from."

Fulham's involvement in the Europa League has meant they are already into their second month of the campaign, despite the start of the Premier League still being over a week away.

RNK Split

Thursday's game against RNK Split was their sixth of the season and ended in a 2-0 aggregate win for the west London team.

"There's already been a fair bit of football, but we've needed to get through these early rounds in order to give it another good go," added Hangeland.

"As I said, the opposition gets stronger the further you go.

"RNK Split were a good side and we should give them credit - they played some decent football. They caused us a few problems in the first leg and at times did the same in the second."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11959_7083257,00.html?

WhiteJC

Register Your Interest

Following Friday afternoon's draw, and in association with the Club, TMG Sport are looking at the potential to arrange a Fulham Flyer day trip or overnight trip to Ukraine. Should you be interested in travelling please click the button below and complete the form - we will be in touch as details develop.

Register Your Interest

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/RegisterYourInterest.aspx?#ixzz1UE9WdKQk