more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (10/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 10, 2011, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Premier League & Football League Statement

The Premier League and Football League are saddened by the recent incidents of civil unrest and the effect it is having on local communities.

We are in on-going discussions with our London-based clubs, the relevant police forces and statutory authorities, in regard to the staging of the coming weekend's fixtures in the capital.

The Metropolitan Police has conveyed to us the dynamic nature of the current situation and with that in mind all parties will review the situation on Thursday and make a further public statement.

With the information currently available there is no reason to think any matches outside of London will be affected.

We are conscious of the need to keep fans informed of any developments and will, of course, keep them as up-to-date as possible through club, league and media channels.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/PremierLeagueStatement.aspx#ixzz1UbV4XQ6V

WhiteJC

Jol preparing to select Zamora
Martin Jol has played down concerns over Bobby Zamora's readiness for the start of the Premier League season.

The striker suffered a broken hand in Europa League action for Fulham late last month and was left out of England's squad for the friendly against Holland on Wednesday.

While Fabio Capello had worries over whether Zamora could perform to his best with such an injury, Jol has continued to select him during pre-season.

And the Cottagers manager looks set to call on the 30-year-old again in Saturday's season opener against Aston Villa.

Asked about the state of Zamora's hand, Jol told Sky Sports News: "It is good.

"It was a disappointment for him to drop out of the squad but Fabio Capello told me as well that he was restricted.

"He could see that he had a different view but that is all in the business."

As well as gearing up for the clash with Villa, Jol must also decide whether he wants to bring in any more new players before the end of the transfer window.

He is keen to do some more business but is nevertheless confident in the men already at his disposal and has targeted another top-half finish.

"I think we've got a good squad so hopefully we can do the same as what they did before and be in the top ten," he said.

"We always like to strengthen the squad so we are looking."

http://www.football365.com/fulham/7089822/Jol-preparing-to-select-Zamora?

WhiteJC

Premier Style

Marcel Gecov is looking forward to making his Barclays Premier League debut for Fulham as the new season kick-off this weekend.

The midfielder has been training with his new team-mates since joining in mid-July and is eager to test himself on English soil.

"The Premier League suits my style and I just love the atmosphere and the supporters and everything about this league," Gecov told fulhamfc.com. "I'm a hard worker and like being here as it suits my game.

"I had a few other offers but when I was offered to come to Fulham I was delighted and I feel very settled. I had some offers in the Czech Rep, Germany and Holland.

"The Premier League is the most broadcast league in the Czech Republic. For me, every team in the Premier League is superb and I'm looking forward to being involved in as many games as possible against all of the teams.

"My style is very much associated with the style of the Premier League. I can play against English teams and I will try my best."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/GecovPremierStyle.aspx?#ixzz1UbWULTN8

WhiteJC

Analysis: Clinical finishing and defensive tenacity have been the secrets of Fulham's success

At the start of their season, way back in July, few would have expected that Fulham would be England's most successful team in Europe in 2009/10. However, under the auspices of Roy Hodgson the Cottagers have completed a gruelling 18-match marathon to reach Wednesday's Europa League final.

Though some of their matches have been the most exciting in England this season, coming from behind to beat both Juventus and Hamburg in the last two rounds, Fulham have actually been one of the least attacking sides in the Europa League this season:

Europa League 2009/10: Fewest Shots Per Game

Rank Team Games Played   Total Shots    Shots Per Game
1  Unirea Urziceni         2        12        6.00
2  Levski Sofia         6        42        7.00
3  Fulham        14        108        7.71
4  Everton        8        62        7.75
5  FC Twente        8        62        7.75
6  Toulouse        6        47        7.83

Only two sides, Unirea and Levski Sofia, have averaged fewer shots per game in the Europa League this season. However, what the Cottagers have lacked in quantity, they have more than made up for in quality of efforts, managing the third-highest shot conversion rate in 2009/10:

Europa League 2009/10: Highest Goals To Shots Ratio

Rank Team  Games   Played  Goals To Shots Ratio
1   Marseille        4             24.24%
2   RSC Anderlecht         10             21.35%
3   Galatasaray          8             20.59%
4   Liverpool           8             19.44%
5   Fulham              14             19.44%
6   Hapoel Tel Aviv          8             19.40%

Fulham have had the fifth-highest goals-to-shots ratio in the Europa League this season, 19.44%, well above the competition average of 12.98%, and are almost twice as effective in front of goal as Wednesday's opponents Atletico, who have a ratio of 10.23%.

If Roy Hodgson's men have not been the most attacking team in Europe this season, they have more than made it up with their defensive displays. The Cottagers have made over 100 more clearances (442) than any other Europa League side this season, have blocked the most shots (53), have made the most interceptions (285) and have made the second-most tackles (295).

Though they have admittedly played more games than most teams in the competition, this does perhaps show that Roy Hodgson has taught his players how to break up opposition attacks effectively, especially given that they have found themselves on occasions under more pressure than some other sides.

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/news/uefacup/manualstories/clinicalfinishinganddefensivetenacityhavebeenfulhamsroutetothefinal2745/default.html?

WhiteJC

Zoggy Will Be Ready For Fulham

New signing Charles N'Zogbia has said he expects to be fit for our season opener against Fulham.

Speaking on the Official Site the winger said he expected to be 100% match fit come the game.

'I feel I need to work a bit more on my physical fitness but I have been training every day and I'm fine. I'm feeling good. I feel fit and it's just a matter of working with my team mates, learning on the training ground and making it happen in the games.'

Charlie is also hoping to continue his scoring streak after bagging his debut goal in his erm debut against Braga.

'The quicker I settle, the better it will be for me and the team because I will be able to contribute. So it was good to be able to get on the ball and make my mark quickly with the goal. It was the perfect start to what I hope will be a fulfilling career at Villa. The season is about to start and I want to contribute right away, I think we will create many opportunities together and hopefully we can achieve something.'

Certainly making all the right noises isn't he.

http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7509653

WhiteJC

NI skipper Hughes on London riots

Northern Ireland captain Aaron Hughes hopes order is restored in London in time to allow the opening Premier League fixtures to go ahead at the weekend.

Hughes should be in action for Fulham against his former club Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

He was speaking to BBC Sport before Northern Ireland's Euro 2012 qualifier against the Faroe Islands.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14464958.stm?

WhiteJC

London rivals shirk at Spurs' playmaker price - reports
Tottenham Hotspur - Jermaine Jenas deal still unresolved

Fulham's deal for Jermaine Jenas is still unresolved with the midfielders wage demands proving a stumbling block, according to the Daily Mail.

The former England midfielder has played a bit part for Tottenham Hotspur under Harry Redknapp, and with Sandro having emerged last season, his place in the first-team squad appears under threat.

However, any deal for Jenas to join Fulham is unlikely to go through until he reduces his wages demands, otherwise Tottenham will be stuck with him until the end of his contract.

Fulham are keen to bolster their defensive ranks with a full campaign in the Europa League ahead of them, while Tottenham may want to offload Jenas if they have ambitions of keeping Luka Modric, who has been linked with Chelsea.

Chelsea have had several bids rejected for Modric, and if he were to stay then it would be a further blow to Jenas' hopes of breaking into the first team.

The Blues' west London rivals Fulham are however in greater need, as they fight on four fronts this season, with a wafer thin squad at Martin Jol's disposal.

Tottenham are expected to receive another bid from Chelsea for Modric, but are expected to again turn down their advances.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/london-rivals-shirk-at-spurs-playmaker-price---rep?

WhiteJC

England v Holland scrapped... and now riots could put end to Premier League matches

The opening weekend of the Premier League is now under threat after England's friendly with Holland was axed because of the London riots.

The Premier League and Football League are in talks with police to see whether this weekend's matches in London can still go ahead.

A joint statement read: 'The Premier League and Football League are saddened by the recent incidents of civil unrest and the effect it is having on local communities.

We are in ongoing discussions with our London-based clubs, the Metropolitan Police and statutory authorities in regard to the staging of the coming weekend's fixtures in the capital.

'The Metropolitan Police has conveyed to us the dynamic nature of the current situation and with that in mind all parties will review the situation on Thursday and make a further public statement at that time.

'With the information currently available to us there is no reason to think any matches outside of London will be affected.
'We are conscious of the need to keep fans informed of any developments and will, of course, keep them as up-to-date as possible through club, league and media channels.'

If the troubles don't die down there will be more issues for the police in deciding whether they have the resources to let club football matches go ahead this week.

Saturday could pose even bigger problems. In the Premier League, Fulham Tottenham and QPR are hosting games, while from the Football League, Palace, Millwall, Leyton Orient and Barnet are due to play home matches.

The entire England appealed for calm across the country after their friendly with Holland was called off after the shocking riots across London.

Wembley was due to host the match on Wednesday night but it has now been axed along with Tuesday's friendly between Ghana and Nigeria, which was set to take place at Watford.

The decision to postpone England's clash was made after talks between the police and the FA on Tuesday morning, with rioting in nearby Harlesden and Brent Cross.

They agreed that they do not have the resources to deal with a massive Wembley crowd.

An FA statement read: 'Following the events in Greater London, the FA has this morning held discussions with the Metropolitan Police, the Government and Brent Council.

'We have received clear advice that due to the sporadic and widespread nature of the unrest there are significant concerns in relation to the available emergency service resource to safely police the fixture.

'In light of these concerns regarding policing and emergency service provision the authorities have advised us that under the terms of our safety certificate we are unable to host the fixture, or guarantee the safety of visiting supporters or the teams. For these reasons the game cannot go ahead.

'The FA wishes to make clear it is in complete agreement with the advice of the Metropolitan Police, the Government and Brent Council.

'The Dutch FA (KNVB) were informed of the decision prior to their scheduled departure from Holland, and we thank them for their co-operation and support during this difficult period.'

A tweet from the FA's official Twitter page later read: 'The England squad are appealing for an end to the disorder after fixture with Holland called off. Please retweet and help #stoptheriots'

More than 70,000 fans were due to attend the game and the FA confirmed general admission tickets for the match would be refunded in full.

Club England managing director Adrian Bevington said the England players supported the decision to call off the game.

'On behalf of the squad we would like to say that we are disappointed that tomorrow's game will be called off, but obviously we understand the reasons behind the decision and we support it,' he said in a statement.

'We've all seen the terrible pictures on the television and the most important thing at this time is the safety of the fans and the general public.

'At this time the whole squad would like to appeal for calm and an end to the disorder which has been ongoing.'

FA chairman David Bernstein confirmed the organisation would seek to rearrange the fixture against Dutch.

'We're hoping and believe this fixture will be rearranged, hopefully next year,' he said.

Bevington insisted the FA had been in contact with the KNVB and they understood the decision to call off the match.

He added: 'The dialogue between ourselves has been extremely positive and the key point here is the game is rearranged and played at the earliest convenience.

'Obviously it's not straightforward with the international calendar, but there are potential slots which could come available and any losses through not playing the game can be regained by playing the fixture at the earliest possible convenience.'

England defender Rio Ferdinand, who comes from Peckham, one the riot-hit areas, said on Twitter: 'England vs Holland game is off, good call. Who wants to see a game of football when our country is in turmoil.'

He also tweeted: 'The solution to this is not to just clean up the glass, its to stop the glass breaking in the 1st place.'

A spokeswoman for the Dutch said: 'We will remain in the Netherlands. It's a shame.'

The Dutch federation (KNVB) later released a statement which read: 'The KNVB has just been in touch again with the FA.

'Early on Tuesday morning, the English federation consulted with local authorities about the friendly match due to be played on Wednesday night. The authorities have decided to cancel the scheduled game.

'The rioting in London is such that all available police capacity is reserved for this.'

After the announcement, England trained together at London Colney before heading back to their clubs, with all 23 remaining members of Fabio Capello's squad present.

West Ham, Crystal Palace and Charlton postponed the League Cup ties they were due to host on Tuesday against Aldershot, Crawley and Reading respectively on police advice as the disorder spread.

The Hammers will now meet Aldershot on Wednesday August 24 after rearranging the tie.

Bristol City's tie with Swindon at Ashton Gate has also been postponed following trouble in the city overnight.

Chairman Colin Sexstone said: 'It's disappointing but we totally understand the reasons given by the police. Clearly the most important factor is people's safety and these are exceptional circumstances the police are dealing with.'

Nottingham was another city which witnessed civil unrest last night but Nottingham Forest confirmed this morning that their Carling Cup match against city rivals Notts County would go ahead as planned.

A statement on the Championship club's website read: 'Nottingham Forest's Carling Cup first-round tie with Notts County at the City Ground this evening will go ahead as planned, Nottinghamshire Police have confirmed.

'The game will kick off at 7.45pm, despite some concerns it would be postponed following disturbances in the St Ann's area of the city overnight.

'Police say the disturbances - which saw vehicles damaged, windows smashed and a police station attacked - will not affect the eagerly-anticipated derby between the two teams.'

England striker Wayne Rooney pleaded for the trouble to stop.

He wrote on Twitter: 'These riots are nuts why would people do this to there [sic] own country. Own city. This is embarrassing for our country. Stop please.'

Meanwhile, the continued trouble should not affect preparations for next summer's Olympics and even offers the opportunity for sport to heal some of the wounds caused by the current violence, according to the BOA's Director of Communications Darryl Seibel.

'It makes an Olympic Games and a Paralympic Games all the more important. We need a reason to come together,' Seibel told Sky Sports News.

'What better city to do it in than London. It is the only city to be honoured with the Olympic Games on three occasions.'

Seibel also expressed confidence in the ability of the authorities to make sure next summer's Olympics were safe.

He added: 'We know the level of work and we know the level of planning that has gone into it.

'This is a reflection of the world we live in today. This is not a reflection of London, this is a reflection of the world we live in today.'

Asked if he was aware of any damage caused to Olympic venues he said: 'I'm not aware of it, no.'

London 2012 Olympic organisers are planning to press ahead with test events in the capital for the Games next year, including the beach volleyball at Horse Guards Parade today.

The Surrey Cycle classic on Sunday, a test event for the cycling road race which will go through the streets of London, is due to take place as planned as is the marathon swimming event at Hyde Park on Saturday.

A London 2012 spokeswoman said: 'A lot of detailed work has taken place regarding security plans for the Games and we will continue to review them together with the Met Police and the Home Office over the coming year.'

Elsewhere, Ghana's friendly with Nigeria due to be held at Watford's Vicarage Road tonight due to concerns regarding policing.

Executive committee member Randy Abbey told the Ghana Football Association's offical website: 'We have just been informed by the match organisers about the latest decision calling off today's friendly with Nigeria at Watford.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2024015/London-riots-2011-England-stars-appeal-calm-friendly-Holland-axed.html#ixzz1UbZhYRbm

WhiteJC

Questions Over Fulham - Aston Villa, Still Running Riot In Birmingham

Here in London, it seems like things have calmed down (cross fingers). But the madness continues in Birmingham, despite the efforts of the community to pull together and clean up after last night's looting. As Robert wrote this morning, there is something about sport that connects us in strange ways. Being supporters of the best team in Birmingham*, even seeing the devastation on the streets from a distance is difficult. I can't imagine what it would be like to be there.

*I wanted to make a snarky joke here, but somehow, those just haven't seemed appropriate the last couple days. We can re-embrace rivalries when life turns back to normal.

Speaking of normal, there's a slight danger the London matches on the weekend will be postponed, meaning, of course, Fulham v Aston Villa. As I mentioned, it seems to be calming down here, and if everything is in check tonight, that might not be needed. A decision will not be made until Thursday, however.

Be safe, Birmingham. Take care of each other.

http://www.7500toholte.com/2011/8/9/2353671/questions-over-fulham-aston-villa-still-running-riot-in-birmingham?

WhiteJC

Let's Get Ready to Rumble..!

The boys are back. Tanned, toned, fitter than ever and full of enthusiasm - just like your blogger. Life isn't always black & white, but for the next 9 months that's all that matters as we launch into a new season in the history of Fulham FC
Would you believe the finest football club in London has now gone into 5 seasons under 4 different managers. To an outsider that would suggest a period of instability and struggle. It's been anything but. This weekend Martin Jol leads out the side for his first taste of Premiership action with the Cottagers. Back in 2007 it was Lawrie Sanchez hoping he'd found the ingredients to make a success of things at Fulham.

We all know things unravelled pretty quickly for Sanchez. But while he looks to rebuild his managerial reputation this season with Barnet (somewhat fortunate to still be in the Football League), Jol will emerge from the Cottage on Saturday chest out and bristling to show he's still one of the best coaches in Europe. That comparison alone underlines the progress made at Fulham Football Club since we dodged the executioner's axe on that fabled afternoon at Fratton.

You will doubtless have noted from the ten a penny punditry on offer this week that nobody now considers 'little' old Fulham as relegation fodder. In fact, everyone it seems tips us to finish again in the top half. And of course, we're back on the European trail to add spice to the season. Call me a myopic optimist, but with Jol at the helm, I fancy us to kick on to another level and possibly achieve our highest ever league finish.

Outside of the big four, if we can avoid any major long term injuries to key players, and with the addition of hopefully one really big signing this month, I'd like to think we are capable of matching Spurs, Liverpool and the rest in pursuit of 5th or 6th place. Why not? The transfer business done to date all looks to be very sound - if unspectacular. Clearly it's being worked on with an eye to the future, while the core of the side are mostly settled and well used to each other - albeit another year older.

This is clearly a happy bunch of professionals with no big egos or flaky characters to sour the mood. Why else would Brede still be happy to trot out in Fulham white when he could have his pick of any club in Europe? I suspect with what they went through under Roy, from relegation certs to Europa League finalists, there is a tremendous amount of mutual respect through the ranks. If Man City had even 50% of our secret formula, they'd cakewalk the title.

For the likes of Duff, Zamora, Etuhu, Mark, Riise senior, Hughes and of course Murphy, the sands of time are running out. They don't need to be told that. The truly heartening aspect of how the club now operates is to appreciate that wherever players have moved on, even fan favourites like Zoltan and Pants, better players have been acquired to replace them. Going back to my point above, the budget can still stand one really big signing to put icing on the cake. I hoped that target might be Shane Long, or could it be Bendtner?, If wily old Woy fancies Long for the Baggies, I reckon he would have done the business for us too. I shall watch his progress with great interest, having fed a direct recommendation through to Hughes last January that Shane was worth checking out. I think we all agree, we do need another striker. Jol has said as much, hence his bid for Jerome.

I know AJ's been getting game time in the Europa warm ups, and showing up well enough, but I still feel a stepdown in class for him is imminent. It's been the case now for some time though under CEO Mackintosh that the club tie up their transfer targets in utmost secrecy. Even while the bloated and lazy press pack have nothing over the summer to feed off but rumours, they are repeatedly sandbagged by Fulham's transfer strategy. As I write Jol could well be homing in on some foreign target we are yet to hear of.

So to the season proper and our prospects against Villa. I certainly think we will start with a win. Man for man, while we look stronger, our opponents, also with a change of manager, don't look as solid as last year. A full season of Senderos cementing what was already a pretty mean defence suggests we are going to be a hard team to score against. Six shutouts from the last nine home games before the off season, while Villa have conceded in all of their last 20 games on the road. Dembele won't be fit to start and Simon Davies has a sore knee, but Demps has sensibly been allowed a decent break and eased back gently into match action. Duff looks very lively so far, and there's plenty of competition for places in all areas. Zamo won't be hindered by his cracked wrist, and must surely be hungry to re-establish his England credentials.

I shall be back again with more musings ahead of the big kick-off. But in the meantime don't be shy - I want to hear from all my regulars and all our new Twitter fans on how you think the boys will fare this season, and where you think we could still improve the side. Looking forward to re-igniting our love affair from last season guys, and ensuring the FFC site continues to be far and away the best blog out there! Must sign off now and slip into my hoodie to see if any flat screen TV's are still lying around...
Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/08/lets_get_ready_to_rumble.php?

WhiteJC

All good for Bobby

Bobby Zamora will be good to go for the start of the premier league season.

Some doubts had arisen about the strikers fitness after he was left out of the England squad for the friendly with Holland, which has since been called-off, but Martin Jol, as he told sky sports news, has no doubts he will be ok.

Zamora broke his hand in a Europa League qualifier last month, and was not deemed fit enough by Fabio Capello even if Jol thought he was, but when asked about his hand Jol said: 'it is good.

'It was a disappointment for him to drop out of the squad but Fabio Capello told me as well that he was restricted.

'He could see that he had a different view but that is all in the business.'

The 30-year-old should be good to go against Villa this weekend, assuming the ongoing rioting throughout the country does not intervene...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=250241#ixzz1Ubb3yS4q

WhiteJC

Fulham keen on Inkoom

Fulham's scouting mission of Samuel Inkoom will have to wait for another time, that is if Fulham were even planned on watching the Ghanaian?

Sky sports 'understood' that scouts from Fulham were going to be among those at Vicarage Road this evening to watch Ghana take on Nigeria in a friendly to check on the 22-year-old, although this was scuppered when the game was called-off amid the rioting in London...

The defender plays for Dnipro, Fulham's Europa League opponents, so he can be seen first hand when the Ukrainian's are taken on later this month!

Arsenal and Villa are also 'said' to be interested in Inkoom...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=250242#ixzz1UbbKRlhb

WhiteJC

Always looking to strengthen

Martin Jol, as he told sky sports news, is happy with the Fulham squad although that does not mean he is not looking around for players.

Any manager of any team is always keen to strengthen and Jol is no different: 'I think we've got a good squad so hopefully we can do the same as what they did before and be in the top ten.

'We always like to strengthen the squad so we are looking.'

With over 3-weeks to go before the transfer window closes there is still plenty of time for Jol to conclude some more deals, and I would expect more movement in this time...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=250243#ixzz1UbbZntxz

WhiteJC

All quiet tonight

I just took Stan out for a walk to see what's what. Tooting had been tipped as a possible venue for disorder tonight, but while we saw at least thirteen police (three on bikes, five pairs on foot), there were hardly any other people about (weirdly I bumped into a couple who sat behind us on Thursday – they were out looking for mushrooms, everywhere was closed), and certainly no troublemakers. It was a lovely evenening in fact, and while police cars were firing past regularly, it's very much a case of so far so good.

I don't know what to make of all this trouble. As someone who spends too much time trying to understand everything he comes across (I asked my mum why? every two minutes as a child), today has been difficult. My upbringing and belief system doesn't really cater for all this – there must be a reason.  I was all set to refer people to Will Hutton's Them and Us or Wilkinson and Pickett's Spirit Level, both good books about how unfair/divided societies are far less healthy than societies where wealth is more equally shared. Then last night we sat in front of various news programmes watching with horror as buildings burned and people suffered, and, well, it goes beyond deprivation and wealth disparity doesn't it? These people are the poo on the bottom of our feet.

The BBC at one point had a good interview with political correspondent Nick Robinson.  It was agreed that whatever your take on the ills of the modern world, you'd probably find a way to explain these riots.  I agree. There isn't a simple answer, and just as people say it'll take a generation to fix all this, it's probably taken a generation to create it, too. It's depressing that people would loot a shop for trainers or for crisps or for dvds, but we are where we are and these are the gods we're all told to worship.

No answers from me, then, but let's hope all this passes soon.  It'll come again – you can't cut police, neglect education, load a society's interests too far towards the wealthy and expect everyone to sit back and know their place – but hopefully the police are going to be able to get on top of the situation, and communities will perhaps police themselves and their kids that little bit better, and we can all get on with leading our silly little lives again.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/all-quiet-tonight/?

WhiteJC

Walton Casuals 2-1 Reserves

Fulham's Reserves were narrowly defeated by Walton Casuals in a pre-season friendly at the Waterside Stadium on Tuesday evening.

The Whites took the lead early on, courtesy of a goal from a trialist, but the home side netted twice within ten minutes before half-time to secure the win.

Speaking after the match, Reserve Team Manager, Billy McKinlay, gave his reaction:

"Overall it was disappointing, we expected to do a lot better than we did tonight," he said. "We started the game quite well, scored the goal but then got bogged down and never got going after that. They hit us with two quick goals, which caused us a problem.

"We passed it better in the second-half, created two or three chances and should have taken a couple of them. We should be doing better, fitness wasn't a problem, but there's obviously a lack of match practice for a number of the players.

"We've got a lot of work to do, both individually and as a team to make sure that we're getting good progression and reaching higher levels of performance."

Fulham: Somogyi; Dean, Arthurworrey, Burn, Smith; Pritchard, Brister (Trialist 2 50), Minkwitz, Kacaniklic; Trotta, Trialist 1 (Woodrow 70)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/WaltonCasualsvReserves.aspx?#ixzz1UbgFXrm2

WhiteJC

Schwarzer says 'no' to A-League

Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has emphatically ruled out ever playing in the A-League, saying it hasn't worked out for too many Socceroos who have returned from overseas.

As Socceroos teammate Harry Kewell continues to contemplate a move home, Schwarzer sounded a cautionary note to Australian players looking to wind down their careers in the domestic competition.

He believes the A-League hasn't been kind to his contemporaries who have returned to Australia from Europe.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Schwarzer cited the example of World Cup qualifying hero John Aloisi, who was turned on by Sydney FC fans during his stay there.

"I have seen too many players go back home and it has not worked out," Schwarzer told Football+ magazine.

"The biggest example is John Aloisi, and how he was treated so badly by people.

"You are up there to be shot down very, very quickly.

"I don't want to give anyone the opportunity to do that to me."

Schwarzer, who turns 39 soon, believes the A-League is clearly "a step down" from Europe and he had no interest in winding down his career in the near future.

"The truth is returning from Europe it is a step down, and I don't want to be in that situation," Schwarzer said.

The Fulham keeper was keen to finish his career in England - and the Premier League if possible.

And he remains adamant he can continue as the Socceroos' No.1 goalkeeper until after the 2014 World Cup, when he would be almost 42.

"There's no easing up, no way, forget about it. I'm sticking around for a while yet," he said.

"What motivates me is the 2014 World Cup. I want to play in it - that's my dream.

"I will be 41, so I think I can make it happen. I am fully determined to keep playing and get there.

"All the conversations I have had with the national coach so far indicate he wants me fully involved and to continue to play."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/schwarzer-says-no-to-aleague-20110810-1ilwx.html?

WhiteJC

Will YOUR game go ahead this weekend? What the Premier League clubs are saying

How things stand at the 10 sides playing at home on opening weekend.

Blackburn: 'We will consult the appropriate authorities."

Fulham: Nothing to suggest game with Aston Villa will be affected.

Liverpool: "The Premier League have released a statement on the riots which sets out our position, and supercedes anything we may say on the matter."

Manchester City: "We are confident and prepared for any incidents, but are not expecting any heightened tensions for Monday's visit of Swansea."

Newcastle: "We cannot comment on this issue because Newcastle has not been affected by the riots."

QPR: Involved in talks with the Met and the FA on a daily basis. At present, the game goes ahead.

Tottenham: "We said on Monday that we are in contact with the ­relevant ­authorities and that remains the case."

Stoke: "As yet, there has been no change but we will continue to monitor the situation in our area."

West Brom: "The Manchester United game is one of our policed fixtures and the match remains on at this stage."

Wigan: "There has been no change with regard to our game with Norwich."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/UK-riots-football-cancelled-what-Premier-League-clubs-say-Liverpool-Manchester-City-Tottenham-Stoke-Newcastle-Fulham-article783358.html#ixzz1Ubi3rRhX

WhiteJC

Call it off! Spurs stars want Premier League opener scrapped amid fears of ongoing riots

Terrified Tottenham players have called for this weekend's opening day Premier League fixture to be called off amid fears over the London riots.

Spurs are set to host Everton at White Hart Lane on Saturday but the match is in doubt after trouble erupted in the surrounding area of the stadium last weekend following the shooting of local man Mark Duggan.

England's international with Holland was the first big sporting casualty after outbreaks of disorder swept the capital and forced tonight's friendly to be scrapped, while four Carling Cup games and Ghana v Nigeria were axed.

The Premier League and Football League will make a final decision on Thursday whether some of this weekend's games will take place with Fulham v Aston Villa and QPR v Bolton also facing postponement.

But worried Spurs defender Younes Kaboul insists they should strongly consider rescheduling the club's meeting with Everton for the sake of the fans if the ongoing situation fails to improve.

'We don't know whether we will be able to play this Saturday, as the riots are spreading across London. They look like they're getting pretty serious,' the France international told The Sun.

'If it is too dangerous, it would be preferable to postpone the match for the sake of the fans' safety.

'That is even though it is annoying for us players, especially as it is the first league game of the season.

'But you have to put people's safety above everything else.'

Dutch midfielder Rafael van der Vaart admits he can't see Saturday's match going ahead after Holland's match with England was called off to offer police more support in the capital.

'I ask myself whether the league matches at the weekend will be able to go ahead. Right now, I can't imagine it,' he said.
'I saw the TV pictures from London and the chaos there at present is unbelievable.

'With things as they are, there is simply no way to organise a big international match safely. My wife Sylvie is over in England but I've not phoned her.

'Thankfully, everything is OK. It has remained calm where we live.'

Defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto has also cast doubt over playing this Saturday but hopes it will be played as planned otherwise the club will face a backlog of fixtures due to their involvement in the Europa League.

'Like in any riot, it's a minority who are messing things up.

'Most people are very well brought up and very respectful. I've never had any problems.

'It's the effect of the mob and not everyone is strong enough to stay outside of it all. They've smashed things up that people have worked hard to get.

'It's a shame, because it's not going to bring anyone back to life.

'I hope the match against Everton goes ahead. The season is busy enough as it is.

'If we don't play the first match, it will mean playing two games in a week. We play enough of those in England. I hope sport will calm things down.'

Spurs chairman Daniel Levy lead the north London club's appeal for peace within the stricken local community and has pledged thousands of pounds to help rebuild the area.

He said: 'Our hope is that calm and order are restored as soon as possible and that we can now look to rebuild the area and the spirit of the community.'

Scenes of chaos engulfed the areas across the country on Tuesday night including Manchester, Birmingham and Wolverhampton.

Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand reacted by appealing for calm on social networking site Twitter.

In a post to over one million ofhis followers, the England vice-captain wrote: 'Unrest now in Manchester....come on now....this isn't the way....stooooooooop it. What is this in aid of?? Innocent people are the victims.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2024394/London-riots-2011-Tottenham-players-want-Everton-game-cancelled.html#ixzz1UcJIBHre

WhiteJC

Gecov makes Fulham vow

MARTIN Jol reckons he has added special one spice to Fulham's midfield – and Marcel Gecov is ready to prove the manager has bought a hit.

The Czech U21 international comes with curly cropped red hair, and last night claimed he could stick the boot in like any full-blooded Englishman.

After winning rave reviews in the summer's European U21 Championship, Jol reckoned the man he reportedly shelled out £700,000 to Slovan Liberec for was 'typically special one.'

The suggestion being that a bit of fiery fluff on a head brings with it a typically fiery temperament.

He added: "He's a real special one player and versatile as well. He can tackle and will play a big part in the future of this club."

Gecov is set to give Danny Murphy a run for his money this season in the centre of midfield and warmed to the idea he will also give Premiership opponents a hard time as well.

He said: "The Premier League was always my goal – it suits my style and I turned down clubs in Germany and Holland to come here. I'm a hard worker and I like a fast game, and yes I like to tackle – to get stuck in – as you say.

"In my country, they say the red ants always attack the black ants, so maybe there's some truth in the idea of special one-haired players being aggressive."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/08/10/gecov-makes-fulham-vow-82029-29210853/?#ixzz1UcJvI3ij

WhiteJC

Aston Villa: McLeish fine tuning squad for Fulham clash

ALEX McLeish believes his Villa squad possesses the team togetherness which is essential as a foundation stone for a strong season in the Premier League.
With three days left before the opener at Fulham, preparation time is almost over for the boss.
It is now down to fine-tuning for the clash at Craven Cottage.

And while McLeish tackles the detail of his first Premier League game in charge since Blues' cataclysmic defeat at White Hart Lane 80 days ago, he is happy that the basics of any successful group – strong team and work ethics – are in place.
"What has pleased me most about our pre-season is the way the players have knuckled down to the hard work ethic and realised that it's not about any individual," he said.

"It's about the club, it's about the team and their team-mates and working hard. If their team-mate is out of position it's about filling in for them.
"They have done all these things really well. The Hong Kong trip was very good in terms of the lads living with each other 24/7 and these pre-season trips are very beneficial.
"I am sure the lads are raring to go and we go into the campaign with optimism.

"Every summer, from the day I started playing football, from the first day of pre-season, I have always had high optimism. I am thinking 'why can we not do really well this season?' And nothing has changed my mind working with this bunch of lads.
"We know there are tough challenges ahead but you wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The Premier League is the place to be. It has turned into a phenomenon. To think it's the 20th year and it's grown and grown and still deemed the strongest and best division in the world. I am really looking forward to the season."
Every manager needs a good start to a campaign but, in the circumstances, McLeish probably more so than any other in the country this time round. He is under no illusion that, however impressive the pre-season work and however upbeat the words, judgment will be made only on results from Saturday onward.
"The application of the lads has been tremendous but they know, as well as I do, that they will be judged on the field when the real competitive action starts," he said.

"I am looking for more highs than lows, that's for sure. We have a good bunch of lads who have excelled in pre-season training."
McLeish is hopeful James Collins, who has been nursing a back injury, will be available at Fulham when Villa would no doubt settle for a repeat of the 6-3 victory they harvested there early in the 1965/66 season, courtesy of goals from Tony Hateley (two), Phil Woosman, Mike Tindall, Johnny MacLeod and Bill Hamilton.
"We have high hopes that James will be okay," the Villa boss said.

http://www.sundaymercury.net/midlands-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-fc-news/2011/08/10/aston-villa-mcleish-fine-tuning-squad-for-fulham-clash-97319-29211005/?