watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Question for you groundspersons out there

Started by Logicalman, August 13, 2011, 11:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logicalman

A mate of mine just asked me a question.

"Why are soccer pitches watered down just before kickoff (and sometimes at halftime?).  I've read LOTS of opinions, but like I said so far no definitive answer."

Anyone want to offer opinions?

LBNo11

...as I've understood it it adds 'zip' to the ball, makes the ball travel faster along the grass . Keegan in particular wanted the pitch well watered before each game - in fact more than once the pitch was watered after pre-match downpours courtesy of the great groundsman in the sky...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Logicalman

I thought we used to have someone on here that was part of the Cottage ground staff - or is my memory (yet again) playing ye olde tricks on me?

HatterDon

pitches are, as Mr. Ed put it, watered prior to play to make the game "zippier." By contrast, when the USA played Canada in Detroit, the turf was NOT watered and every ball rolled about 5 feet and stopped. All the players looked like crap [when only 18 of the 22 were]. No fun.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Tktd

It's just dependant on what a club prefers - water on the pitch is meant to make the ball go faster and play to teams, who favour a quick attacking and fast game, strengths.

You can't just water one side as that makes the playing surface favourable to one side so you have to water both. Stoke would never water their pitch for example.  064.gif

Logicalman

Cheers everyone for the replies, I just thought it was to ensure the surface wasn't bone hard - shows my depth of knowledge on that one.  fp.gif

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

We have under Cookie, also been known to water at half time but you need both manager's permission...

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Quote from: LBNo11 on August 14, 2011, 12:09:41 AM
...as I've understood it it adds 'zip' to the ball, makes the ball travel faster along the grass . Keegan in particular wanted the pitch well watered before each game - in fact more than once the pitch was watered after pre-match downpours courtesy of the great groundsman in the sky...

Keegan was really anal about the pitch and would bring a ruler out and measure the height of the grass...

MOR :

I actually thought the grass was a little long yesterday...then when the game had finished you saw 2 x suited gentlemen bent down with a member of the staff talking intently about the surface.

It only pays to water the grass before the game and at half time if the grass is short, otherwise the ball would probably hold up more.