more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- FFC v. Aston Villa

Started by HatterDon, August 14, 2011, 04:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

So this is what the Croation writer meant by "Dog Football"

Fulham opened their season with a toothless display against a Villa team that came to SW6 with one goal in mind -- to get one point in a 0-0 match. And, by god, they got it. Villa showed today that they are already Alex McLeish's team. Two goal-bound Fulham shots were kept from bulging the Villa net by great defensive blocks from ... are you ready? ... Gabe Agbonlahor and Emile Heskey. Yes, McLeish named three strikers to his starting lineup and two of them distinguished themselves defensively.

Fulham had a couple of chances in the first half, and several in the second half, but a combination of laser-beam targeting of defenders and an inability to read each other resulted in us not scoring at all against a side that, quite frankly, was waiting to be taken apart. It was difficult to watch. It was difficult to put up with. And, then, I followed it with the Newcastle v. Arsenal match. Welcome to The Barclay's Premier League, 2011-2012 -- 180 minutes and NO FRIGGIN' GOALS!

Here's some things that I noticed today:

1. Although I have little doubt that Senderos is more talented than Baird, the substitution of Senderos for Baird has weakened Fulham's defense both at center half and at right back. Why? Because Senderos is not as good as Hughes at CB and because Hughes is not as good as Baird at RB. I don't think that this is an experiment. I believe that Jol has made his decision to go with a back four of Hughes, Senderos, Hangeland, and Riise. While, individually, this is better than Baird, Hughes, Hangeland, and Salcido, I don't have as much faith in this back four as I had in last year's. Senderous being "out-quicked" by Heskey is just plain embarassing.

2. Riise is not on the same page as most of his teammates. He showed a great talent in moving when no pass was coming and staying put as the killer pass was put through. The great exception was when Duff rotated back on the left wing. He and Riise were brilliant together. I think it's time to acknowledge that Duff is a left winger. Put him there and put Dempsey on the right.

3. While everyone in a white shirt gave the ball away -- REPEATEDLY -- the crowd only reacted with groans and derision when the culprit was Etuhu. It's going to be a long season for the Nigerian Giant who, in my view, had a fairly good match. He's obviously going to be the target of the boo birds while Sidwell, by contrast, will be this season's version of Richard the Lion Heart locked up on the substitute's bench by the evil Marteeeeeen Jol. And so it goes.

4. I'm sure that every comment on the game includes a version of "today is proof that AJ and Zammo can't play together. I beg to differ. I thought each player did his best work today while setting up his partner.

5. Zamora is in poor goal scoring form. I don't know if it is the hand or what, but our enigmatic target man did everything well today except strike the ball towards goal. He had two relatively wide open chances and capitalized on neither. After about 15 minutes of the match had passed, it was obvious that one goal was the most that the folks at Craven Cottage would see. Bobby Z had two of the three best chances to get that one goal. The other? That was JAR.

6. Murphy had a poor match. I still think he's the best midfielder we have. I still think that there are very few individuals in the Premier League who can marshall a side the way that he can, but he was pretty much useless out there.

7. Duff appears to be getting younger every season. I couldn't take my eye off the little fekker for 90 minutes. He made something happen every time the ball came into his area -- and if Aaron Hughes didn't buy him a pint after the match something is terribly wrong.

8. With the exception of the groans and moans at Etuhu, I must say that I heard very little from the Fulham supporters today via television. With the exception of a single round of "Come on, Fulham" early in the second half, the home support was easily drowned out by the visiting Villains the entire time.

9. My friend Ag, who no longer feels welcome enough on this site to post here is correct. There wasn't anyone in White who deserved to get my HatterDon's Man of the Match after today's display.

Finally, those of you who weren't "priviliged" to view the match with commentary by Ian Darke and Steven McMannaman missed this exchange:

ID: What can Fulham take from this lacklustre performance today?

SM: Well, they can be glad they're not QPR.

And so I am.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Me-ate-Live, innit??

goodday Hatter.......
On the evidence of yesterday ............it's going to be a long season with boooooooooooring games.
Love your write -up because they make me re-look at my original on -the -day opinions.
In the main  I agree,   but it is still MO that...........
Senderos, If he is going to be play every game,  I swear I will develop a twitch, I can see the outline of a sledge hammer following him around. He is ok if he has options but when he does not,  you can feel the panic and he does not see what is in front of him ( and unmarked JAR or Hughes). Like Salcido He gets turned, I cannot believe we now have two 1st team players who cannot perform the basic duty of a defender,  it is just plain wrong,  A defender should keep himself between the opposition and his goal.  ...................and never cross the ball across his own goal.    
Baird is one if not the best football brain in the team, Senderos is not in his league, his only advantage over Baird  is that he is a ''big -old-unit''
On ''big old units'',  Dixon :  His 'to me to you'' football is all well and good but when the 'you' does not present itself he is lost.  Yesterday highlighted Dixon's lack of a football brain and also his poor Peripheral vision .........how could he not see and unmarked JAR  waiving at him ???? perhaps I am wrong and he just does not like GINGERS.  

The man of the match was that other little fekker.......... Given

jarv

Good report, agree with it.  I hope the boo boys leave Etuhu alone, I think he has his limitations but is OK overall. Also, I think Fulham fans down the years have been good to most players when in a poor spell (except BZ back a while). I have serious doubts about Senderos when we are talking about limitations. Baird must be scratching his head, probably better than both of them.
Kcat, Given definitely m.o.m.  Duff for Fulham, best of a poor bunch on the day.

BarryP

The only thing I would add to your report was how glaringly bad Hangeland's passing was on the day.  He had some good ideas but over hit the ball far to often.  Enjoyed the write-up as always HD.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Motspur

I've looked at this site often over the years but not in great depth nor was I registered here until the recent trashing of TIFF. Since then I have looked more regularly at this site and I find some posters quite negative about Fulham - HatterDon is one of them (this is an observation not a criticism). I've supported Fulham for around 40 years now and been through thick and thin with the club and I am more of a pessimist than an optimist but I am seldom negative about Fulham. I turn up to most games wanting a win, thinking that a draw will be OK but expecting to get turned over. However, the tide is changing - I do believe that with the team and squad we have we should be putting the opposition under more pressure and now going for the win rather than hanging on as we did under Tigana (premier), Coleman and Roy.

Having said that HD, I think your summary is mostly spot on. The negativity surrounding Dickson is probably only matched by the fans treatment of Melville and Zamora (for his first season) although after this post I'll probably remember several more scapegoated players. Hangerland at one stage yesterday made a woeful attempt at a pass straight off the field and there was no reaction from the crowd - only encouragement. Dickson under pressure failed to complete a pass and was roundly heckled - it was embarrassing.

I would probably start with Sidders and I would like to see Kesami (sp) get a chance but Dickson for most part does a sound job of breaking up opposition attacks and making us much tougher in midfield. Three managers is succession cannot all be wrong about Dickson. Well, they probably can be but I doubt they are.

Thought your report was a pretty fair reflection of the game.   

MJG

Just a quick post on Etuhu's passing and Brede.
We all know what Brede brings to the game and passing is not one if them.saying that what I have noticed is that during the European games and yesterday he is trying to find Riise more and more, Yesterdays I don't think one pass worked, but at least you could see what he was trying to do. And that goes the same for any player who try's a pass that does not work, at least you could see what he was trying to do.
With dickson, he struggles to do the simple pass and when he trys to pass over ten yards forget it.
Crowds moan at some players more than others, but thats based on what we have been before, Murphy still played the two best passess for chances, so we will give the benefit of the doubt when he screws up, etuhu does not have that luxury.

Motspur

Quote from: MJG on August 14, 2011, 09:51:23 PM
We all know what Brede brings to the game and passing is not one if them.

Dickson is not put into the team for his incisive passing either. He is a formidable barrier in front of the back 4 and breaks up numerous opposition attacks. Look for the positives, not necessarily the negatives. Who knows, Ketsami may do the same job with better distribution then everyone will be happy but let's not be blind when it comes to looking at what Etuhu does, eh?