Main Menu

Macclesfield manager Keith Alexander dies

Started by os5889, March 03, 2010, 02:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/macclesfield_town/8547410.stm

Macclesfield manager Keith Alexander dies

Alexander also managed Lincoln and Peterborough

Macclesfield Town have announced that manager Keith Alexander has died at the age of 53.

Alexander, who suffered a brain aneurysm in November 2003, passed away after arriving home last night from the League Two match at Notts County.

He had recently returned to work after taking time out because of illness.

"Keith was a splendid man. He will be sorely missed at the Moss Rose and by everyone involved in football," read a club statement.

"Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family at this very difficult time."

606: DEBATE
So sad to hear of the death of Keith Alexander. My condolences to his family

ANON

Alexander played as a striker for Barnet, Grimsby, Stockport, Lincoln and Mansfield and took over as Lincoln manager for the first time in 1993.

After spells with Ilkeston and Northwich, he returned to Sincil Bank in 2002 with the club in administration and on the verge of folding, leading the club to four successive League Two play-off campaigns - the only manager to achieve that feat.

In November 2003 he collapsed with a double aneurysm, revealing afterwards that he had to be brought back to life three times.

Alexander left Lincoln by mutual consent shortly after the defeat to Grimsby in 2006 and moved to Peterborough, but left in January 2007 after a disappointing run of results.

He took the position of director of football at Bury before being appointed Macclesfield manager in February 2008, agreeing a two-year contract extension in the January of this year.

Macclesfield chairman Mike Rance led the tributes to Alexander, saying: "We're all absolutely devastated.

"I spoke to Keith last night at about 11.15pm after our game at Notts County and he was in good spirits because, although we lost, we had given a team chasing promotion a good game.

"We were chatting about an FA hearing after he had a row with a referee at Bournemouth, which just shows how passionate he was about the game.

"It was perhaps fitting that the last conversation we had was about football

"He went home after the game last night and collapsed. Tragically, he never recovered.

"Keith was the perfect manager for a club like ours. He was totally pragmatic about managing in League Two and the constraints involved.

"He was a splendid man, a real gentleman and an absolute privilege to work with. He was strong, sensible, commanded respect throughout the game and was unique in many ways."

"You won't find a more dedicated man at any club, he always gave 150%. I feel so sad for his family

Peterborough director of sport Barry Fry

Macclesfield are set to play Hereford on Saturday but that match may now not go ahead, with Rance stating that he has already spoken to Hereford boss Graham Turner.

"Graham also knew Keith very well and the decision as to whether Saturday's game goes ahead will be taken by Keith's family shortly," added Rance.

"I know what Keith would have wanted, but it will be his family's decision."

Lincoln chairman Steff Wright told BBC Lincolnshire: "I'm absolutely numbed. To think everything Keith has done in football has gone is a massive shock.

"Keith was an absolute professional, a gentleman, but more than anything else Keith was a great guy."

Peterborough director of sport Barry Fry, who worked with Alexander when he was a player at Barnet and also at London Road when he was a manager, added: "I really can't believe it. I'd been worried lately about his health but he assured me he was fine.

"He recently had a bout of hiccups that he couldn't get rid of and he went into hospital for that, but he wasn't feeling ill when I spoke to him last, he was bubbly.

"He'd had a few days off but he couldn't wait to get back on the training pitch.

"You won't find a more dedicated man at any club, he always gave 150%. I feel so sad for his family."

A Bury spokesman said: "Keith Alexander was one of the most genuine people you could work with, to know and to have the pleasure to meet.

"There are a lot of heavy hearts around Gigg Lane this afternoon and as a club, we wish to pass our condolences to Keith's immediate family, his friends and all supporters, players and officials at Macclesfield Town Football Club."

The Doctor

Horrible, horrible news.  My thoughts are with his family and friends

LBNo11

...very sad news, he seemed on of the nice guys, my condolences to his family and friends and to the fans of the 'Silkmen'...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WhiteJC

53 is no age, just goes to show...

my condolences to all who knew him

Lighthouse

Nice club Macclefield Town and I used to know people who were fans.

It goes without saying that when a fit,young man like this is struck down prematurely we feel for all those left to mourn him. But I hope the mourners  don't think of what could have been but what was. A sad loss but a life worth celebrating.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dugliss

Very sad indeed, definitely seemed like a genuine nice fella

finnster01

Terrible news. 53 is far too young to leave this place.

I will pray for him and his family tonight. I hate hearing about these kind of news, especially when it is a nice gentleman like him who could have given so much more to us given a chance. R.I.P.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead