more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (17/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 17, 2011, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Play-Off Challenge

On Wednesday afternoon Martin Jol's squad completed their final preparations ahead of Thursday evening's UEFA Europa League Play-Off match against Ukrainian side FC Dnipro (first leg).

Fulham's squad are well aware of the rich rewards that come with qualification to the Group Stages, and one current player who admired Fulham's last magical European adventure from the stands, Steve Sidwell, is hoping to be part of the action this season if Fulham can navigate their way past FC Dnipro.

"It's great for the fans," said Sidwell of the UEFA Europa League competition. "What they experienced a few years back was phenomenal – I came to a few games and they were fantastic. It's a real buzz for the fans, they experienced a great run a few years back and they'll want to go one better this time around, if we qualify.

"The Europa League is a tough competition to win. It's a long road and there are a lot of games. It doesn't matter what round of the competition you're in or who you come up against – you've got to play the right way. The further you go into the competition, the harder it gets. We don't take these games lightly, we train how we play. You've got to be professional."

Should Fulham progress to the Group Stages of the UEFA Europa League, Sidwell expects Martin Jol to make full use of his squad and is hoping to impress the Manager in central midfield when the opportunity arises.

"With the Europa League on top of a Premier League season as well, you're going to need a squad that's going to be capable of dealing with both," Sidwell explained. "If we do qualify, I'm sure everybody's going to be used.

"We've got a few additions in over the past few weeks so it takes time for them to bed in, I'm sure the Gaffer has a clear picture of certain personnel and formations that he's looking to play.

"It's a clean slate for everyone, when I came in January I hit the ground running and was able to play as few games and did well. The Manager's come in, it's time to impress and hopefully you can get in the starting line-up. If you don't, you just try harder in training to try and get in the next squad."

Catch the action live at the Cottage on Thursday night when the Whites face FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the UEFA Europa League Play-Off (KO 7.30pm). Tickets are on General Sale with adults from £5 and juniors from just £1! 

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/SidwellEuropaPreview.aspx?#ixzz1VHnlGbIL

WhiteJC

Fulham in Bentley race
Jol eyes move for out of favour Spurs man

Skysports.com understands Fulham are weighing up a move for Tottenham winger David Bentley.

Bentley appears to be surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane with the England international spending the second half of last season on loan at Birmingham City.

Spurs are thought to be open to offers for Bentley as Harry Redknapp looks to trim his squad and bring in funds for his own transfer plans.

Bentley, who joined Spurs from Blackburn in the summer of 2008, has struggled to hold down a regular place in the team under Redknapp with Aaron Lennon preferred on the right side of midfield.

Fulham have held a long-term interest in Bentley and new Cottagers boss Martin Jol is ready to pursue a move for the talented wide man.

Jol is keen to bolster his attacking options and he sees Bentley as the right man to provide the ammunition for the likes of Bobby Zamora.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11675_7107536,00.html?

WhiteJC

The European Adventure Continues: Dnipro

Off to the Ukraine we go! Next up for Fulham in the playoff round of the Europa League is FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

Hopefully the matches won't stress Fulham fans out as much as trying to pronounce the club's name, but Dnipro is no slouch. They have a ton of young talent (they do not own a player over 29 years old) and have the tools to make an upset or two in the tournament. Let's go through a quick preview of their club:

They are managed by the experienced Spaniard Juande Ramos, who has managed such minnows as Real Madrid, Tottenham, Sevilla, and Malaga. He actually succeeded Martin Jol at Spurs. He won the Copa del Rey with Sevilla, and took home the League Cup with Spurs with a man-down win over Man City, a beatdown of Arsenal 6-1 on aggregate, and an extra-time finals victory over Chelsea. Needless to say, the guy's had his fair share of success as a manager.

Jan Lastuvka is very familiar with Craven Cottage

You may recognize their goalkeeper, Jan Lastuvka. He played for Fulham during the 2006/07 season, making 8 appearances and backing up Mark Crossley for most of the year. He came to Craven Cottage on a free transfer after 3 years backing up at Shakhtar. He also played 25 matches with VfL Bochum in the Bundesliga. So with a year's experience in the Premier League, the Bundesliga, and 6 in the Premier Liga in Russia, he will be the most experienced goalkeeper Fulham will face yet in Europa.

Fulham are just one of a number of British clubs in the playoff round of the Europa League

Arguably their best player is their 21 year old Brazilian Attacking midfield Giuliano. he has 1 goal in 6 Premier Liga matches this season so far and has a lot of talent.

Another big threat up front for Dnipro is Nikola Kalinic. The 23 year old Croatian was bought by Blackburn back in 2009 from HNK Hajduk Split for just over £6 million, but was unable to break into a regular role, scoring just 13 goals in 53 matches. He was sold to Dnipro for £5 million just this past week.

Their best injection of experience comes from 29 year old midfielder Ruslan Rotan, who has made 160 Premier Liga appearances (109 with Dnipro and 51 with Dynamo Kiev) and 46 Ukranian caps. He's played in the Champions League with Dynamo and knows his way around a pitch.

As a club, since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the formation of the Ukranian Premier Liga, Dnipro have finished second in the league once and third five times. They have finished second in the Ukranian Cup 3 times, most recently in 2004, but lot to Ukranian giants Shakhtar all 3 times.

Fulham can certainly beat this club, but they will have their work cut out for them, as this is where the "glorified friendlies" end and the real grind of the Europa League begins. Any predictions for the finish of the first leg at the Cottage?

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2011/08/17/the-european-adventure-continues-dnipro/?

WhiteJC

Homesick Fulham full-back Salcido joins Mexican outfit Tigres on season-long loan

Unsettled Fulham full-back Carlos Salcido has left the club to return to his homeland joining Mexican outfit Tigres on a season-long loan deal.

The 31-year-old signed for the Cottagers last summer from PSV Eindhoven and impressed during his first season in the Premier League.

Heading home: Mexico star Salcido is joining Tigres on a season-long loan deal

But Salcido grew unsettled at the west London club after a robbery at his house resulted in his family leaving England.

Manager Martin Jol has granted the defender's his wish to leave with the player linking up with the Nuevo Leon-based club Tigres after undergoing a medical in Mexico on Tuesday.

Heading off: Carlos Salcido is leaving Fulham after one season at the club

Fulham confirmed the deal on their official Twitter page and Salcido is likely to join up with his new team-mates for training today.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2026974/Carlos-Salcido-leaves-Fulham-Tigres.html#ixzz1VHpRTo5u

WhiteJC

Wellington for Warner

Wellington Phoenix coach Ricki Herbert has opted for experience over youth and signed former Fulham and Millwall goalkeeper Tony Warner.

The 37-year-old, who started out as a trainee with Liverpool in 1990 and spent nine years at the English Premier League club, was recently linked with a move to Blackburn Rovers after a spell with League One club Tranmere Rovers ended in June.

While Warner never made a first team appearance for Liverpool he went on to have successful spells at Millwall, where he made more than 200 appearances between 1999-and 2004, and Fulham (2005-08) before having loan spells at lower league clubs in England, including Leeds United, Norwich City and Barnsley.

"He's got a lot of experience. He's 37 but it's something I want," Herbert told Sportal.

"I think he will do a great job for us. He's got premier league experience," added the coach who expects Warner to challenge All Whites goalkeeper Mark Paston for the No.1 shirt.

"The last two seasons Mark has unfortunately hit a speed bump with injuries and stuff like that."

"I think we just needed to be reassured that we had somebody who could step straight in."

"He's very similar (to Mark). He's 6ft 4in so you are going to get great presence and a great distributer of the ball."

"He had a long time at Liverpool without playing but he jumped in and played at Fulham. He's played at the highest level. I'm really excited. For someone of that experience to come here and want to come here is terrific for us."

Warner will travel with the squad to Dunedin for their pre-season match against Brisbane Roar on Saturday.

http://www.newcastlejets.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=40648

WhiteJC

Salcido seals Tigres loan
Full-back loaned home to join unsettled family in Mexico

Fulham full-back Carlos Salcido has joined Mexican outfit Tigres on a season-long loan deal.

The 31-year-old joined the Cottagers last summer from PSV Eindhoven and impressed during his first season in the Premier League.

However, Salcido grew unsettled at the west London club after a robbery at his house resulted in his family leaving England.

The full-back, who has been capped 92 times by Mexico, has now joined Nuevo Leon-based club Tigres after undergoing a medical on Tuesday.

Fulham confirmed the deal on their official Twitter page and Salcido is likely to join up with his new team-mates for training on Wednesday.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7107648,00.html?

WhiteJC

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk Live and Free

LAOLA1.tv are an international online sports TV broadcaster and will be broadcasting tomorrow evening's match between Fulham and Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

This is LIVE and FREE as part of a major evening of Europa League qualifiers on our Europa League channel; http://www.laola1.tv/en/int/home/

If you would like to find out more information about our company, then please feel free to look at the holding website; http://thesportsmanholding.com/en/

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/dnipro_dnipropetrovsk_live_and_free_694852/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Cottagers without midfield duo

Fulham midfielders Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise will not feature in tomorrow's Europa League play-off first leg against Dnipro at Craven Cottage.

Davies will not face the Ukrainian team due to a knee injury, while Riise is suffering with a hamstring problem.

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora is in contention once again despite a broken hand, which he will wear a protective cast over.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, Dembele.

http://www.eecho.ie/news/sport/cottagers-without-midfield-duo-516872.html?

WhiteJC

Etuhu - I Am Not Siasia's School Boy

Fulham midfielder Dickson Etuhu has lashed out at Super Eagles coach Samson Siasia for treating him like a schoolboy.

Etuhu turned down a chance to return to the Eagles for the aborted friendly against Ghana last Tuesday, saying Siasia has disrespected him on several occasions.

"I feel every human being deserves some element of respect. I respect everybody irrespective of your age, stature, or whether you are rich or poor; that is how I feel it should be everywhere," Etuhu said.

"I am not going to accept the way coach Siasia treated me. I am quite different from a lot of people but one simple fact about me is that I speak the truth. I am just speaking what everybody knows already and I'm not afraid to say it here.

"I cannot play for him under such circumstances. I have played under lots of managers before and even at the World Cup, we all saw the way things were run under several managers."

He added: "Coach Samson Siasia has never given me a call-up since he took over from Lars Lagerback. Not even a text message, let alone calling me to know how I am doing at my club. There are several times I have put calls across to him but he didn't pick.

"I don't think it is too much if he explains things to me as a gentleman would. If he said something like ... 'Dickson as you can see I am just taking over as national team coach and I would like to try out some young players in my quest to develop Nigerian football, and all you have do for me is to be patient', that's all and I will simply hold my peace.

"But he told the NFF Secretary-General to call me two days before the friendly with Ghana. What! You called two days to a match and expect me to start packing my bags and boots, running down to the camp like a schoolboy who is happy for being invited into the national team.

"No, that is not going to happen to me at all, I am not a schoolboy for God's sake."

However, the defensive midfielder, who has won over 17 caps for the country and played at the 2010 World Cup, has insisted he loves to play for his country despite his latest decision not to play under Siasia.

"I grew up in Nigeria and I owe all that I have achieved today to my upbringing in Nigeria. Wearing the green and white jersey of Nigeria gives me a sense of joy and at a point, I felt I could dump any club that try to stand in the way of me playing for my country," he said.

"There is nothing that I enjoy doing better than playing for Nigeria, I love playing for Nigeria at the expense of my club, because Nigeria is my life and I'm just crazy about the country."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201108171189.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham in £15m double swoop for Tottenham duo

Fulham could be set for a double raid on Tottenham for David Bentley and Peter Crouch.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp has deemed Crouch and Bentley surplus to requirements and he will now listen to offers for the pair in an effort to free up space for new signings.

Martin Jol is keen to bolster his attacking options by adding Crouch to his ranks, while he sees Bentley as the right man to provide the ammunition from wide areas.

The 26-year-old winger has struggled for form since joining Spurs from Blackburn in 2008 for £15 million and spent the second half of last season on loan at Birmingham City.

Fulham have held a long-term interest in Bentley and new Cottagers boss Martin Jol is ready to pursue a move for the talented wide-man, who is now valued at around £6m by the White Hart Lane club.

Fulham drew a blank on the opening day of the season in a goalless draw against Aston Villa, highlighting their need for more quality up front.

Fulham have promptly entered the race to sign Crouch, with Stoke, Newcastle and Sunderland all credited with an interest.

Jol wants as striker to rotate with Andy Johnson and Bobby Zamora and is willing to pay £9 million to land the former Liverpool and Portsmouth.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/fulham-in-15m-double-swoop-for-tottenham-duo-694/

WhiteJC

Fulham v Dnipro preview
Team news ahead of Thursday night's Europa League play-off first leg between Fulham and Dnipro at Craven Cottage (kick-off 7.30pm).

Fulham are without midfield duo Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise for the game.

Davies will not face the Ukrainian team due to a knee injury, while Riise is suffering with a hamstring problem.

Bobby Zamora is in contention once again despite a broken hand, which he will wear a protective cast over.

Fulham (from): Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Zamora, Dembele.

http://www.football365.com/match/3438092/preview?

WhiteJC

Goal Target

Martin Jol has called for his Team to demonstrate their firepower on Thursday night when Fulham face FC Dnipro in the UEFA Europa League Play-Off (first leg).

Whilst highlighting the need to profit from home advantage on Thursday night, Jol is far from underestimating the quality of opposition, who will offer Fulham their sternest test to date in the competition. 

"RNK Split were a good side but FC Dnipro is a different kettle of fish," Jol told fulhamfc.com. "We always focus on the positives and I believe we're good enough to reach the group stage of the competition, but first we have to show we can score goals.

"We're always confident and we need a good result on Thursday night because they're a strong team at home. They're a good team who are probably the third best team in their league, which is very strong.

"Every year there are four or five clubs that are amongst the favourites to win the competition. We are not amongst the favourites this year, but we weren't when we reached the Final two years ago, so anything can happen.

"For me the main thing is to get through to the Group Stage of the competition."

Jol will have an almost fully fit squad to choose from on Thursday evening, with only two players missing through injury. "Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise will not be available on Thursday night," said Jol. "Everyone else is available for selection."

Tickets are on General Sale for Thursday night's UEFA Europa League Play-Off at Craven Cottage. Adult tickets are priced from £5 whilst junior tickets are priced from just £1. Purchase your tickets today.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/FCDniproPreMatchConference.aspx?#ixzz1VILOU8dv

WhiteJC

Martin Jol plays down Juande Ramos animosity ahead of meeting

Fulham boss Martin Jol has played down talk of animosity with Dnipro coach Juande Ramos despite the Spaniard controversially replacing him as Tottenham manager four years ago.

The Dutchman was sacked as Spurs manager in acrimonious circumstances in 2007 before being swiftly replaced by then-Sevilla coach Ramos.

Jol's departure came after a successful 2006/07 season and months into the new campaign, during which time stories emanated about Tottenham officials meeting Ramos.

The pair come head-to-head for the first time tomorrow evening as Ramos brings his Dnipro side to Craven Cottage for the first leg of their Europa League play-off.

Jol was keen to turn attention away from any potential grudge match in today's pre-match press conference, although he seemingly made a jibe at his counterpart.

"He was there for 10 or 11 months and moved on and then ended up in the Ukraine," he said with a smile. "So it's something to think about.

"They play well. I was there last year playing against Dynamo Kiev. I think it is a strong competition."

Jol went onto successful spells with Hamburg and Ajax after leaving Spurs and returned to English football with Fulham this summer.

Ramos, by comparison, spent a short stint at Real Madrid and was sacked after just 47 days in charge of CSKA Moscow before joining Dnipro.

When asked about their different career paths, Jol retorted: "Talking about him is a different issue. Do you want to talk about him or about me? About both?

"I don't want to focus on the coach. He's important, but not that important. Same as me.

"They have to show it on the pitch. The only thing we can do is try and take control and bring our vision over to the players.

"Don't make it more important than this."

Jol's side have already dispatched Faroese minnows NSI Runavik, Northern Irish part-timers Crusaders and NSI Runavik of Croatia on their route to the play-offs.

The Ukrainian side were knocked out at this stage last year and have struggled in the Ukrainian Premier League of late, although Jol insists he is not taking them lightly.

"It's a good team, if you know the level of football over there," he said. "They've got a couple of good teams, very strong teams.

"Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk are the best two, then Dnipro. They play a high tempo, technically skilful. It's a very good footballing team.

"We are confident; 0-0 will not be the best of results.

"We need a cushion to go there because, at home, they're strong. We'll need a good result."

Fulham come into the match off the back of a 0-0 home draw with Aston Villa at the weekend but Jol is confident his side can find the net tomorrow.

"It's a different game, we start all over again," he added.

"We created chances against Villa, but not enough for my liking at home.

"The difference always is to score a goal. I would have been satisfied if we'd scored one.

"We were the better team and should have scored. But, although it's a different side tomorrow, it's an adventure.

"It's a new thing. I've been here for nine weeks and we will probably play in this style up front for the first time tomorrow.

"We'll wait and see. I'm very confident. We have to trust the players. We will play with a few other players tomorrow."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/martin-jol-plays-down-juande-ramos-animosity-ahead-of-meeting-2339336.html?

WhiteJC

Roger Brown Tribute

The Club would like to pay tribute to former player Roger Brown, who sadly passed away in the early hours of Wednesday morning at just 58 years of age.

Roger will be fondly remembered by Fulham Football Club as a truly great servant and a favourite of the Cottage faithful.

Roger's goalscoring feats at Fulham, as a defender, with 12 goals during the 1981-82 campaign remains  a Club record. Hisheaded goal against Lincoln City that secured promotion in the 1981-82 season clinched his place in Fulham history.

Born in Tamworth in Staffordshire on 12 December 1952, Roger joined his local club, Walsall, in 1970 as an apprentice but failed to make the grade.

He became a production manager in an engineering firm based in Lemington and joined the local club as a semi-professional. Bournemouth revived his Football League career at the age of 25 when they signed him from AP Lemington in February 1977.

A powerful, dominant central defender, Roger was soon spotted by First Division club Norwich City and moved to Norfolk in July 1979 for a fee of £85,000. He stayed eight months before joining Fulham for a £100,000 fee but was unfortunately injured on his debut against Chelsea.

Roger became a great favourite at the Cottage and was an inspirational leader in Fulham's promotion season of 1981-82 when he scored the vital goal against Lincoln in the last match to ensure a return to the Second Division.

In December 1983 Roger moved to Bournemouth and won an Associate Members Cup-winners' medal in 1984.

The Club would like to pass on its deepest sympathies to Roger Brown's family at this difficult time.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/RogerBrownTribute.aspx#ixzz1VIXu0weO