watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any one else not digging Jol yet?

Started by Admin, August 18, 2011, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Question to all the Jol doubters/haters.

Who would you prefer instead?

Dave Jones
Steve Mclaren
Alan Curbishley
Alex Mcleish
Sven Goran Errikson

We weren't exactly inundated with CV's.

I was one of Hughes more vocal critics but I gave him until Boxing day - seeing that we only won two matches in that period I think that myself and the other critics were being fairly generous!

I'm pleased that we finished 8th place last season but let's not gloss over tha fact that there were 3 points separating ourselves and 14th place.

As for Jol I can see why some of you have concerns but still think it very early days to be getting jittery about a proven premiership manager after one league match. Only 4 teams taking maximum points - Two of which have spent the equivalent of an small African countries GDP and a third that faced a whipping boy side.

Not only this but we have breezed through Europe up until now - tonight will be tough but instead of getting ready to circle Jol's carcass let's put the wagging fingers away and get behind the boys.

COYW

Jimpav

Anyone had a change of heart after last night?

FulhamMic

I'm left speechless by this thread!

I had to double-take just to make sure I hadn't accidentally visited the Official forum by mistake.

Two threads in such close proximity, one criticising Jol, the other Bobby. Shocking!

FC Silver Fox

Quote from: Jimpav on August 19, 2011, 11:24:03 AM
Anyone had a change of heart after last night?

8 games in charge so far.  5 win, 3 draws   NO defeats.

If Maarten Jol read this thread, he'd wonder exactly what the fans want.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

FulhamMic

Quote from: FC Silver Fox link=topic=14546.msg165436#msg165436

8 games in charge so far.  5 win, 3 draws   NO defeats.

If Maarten Jol read this thread, he'd wonder exactly what the fans want.

Finally, some sense!

And if it weren't for an on-form, out-to-impress Shay Given it'd almost definitely be 6 wins!

Peabody

OK, so some of you have not taken to MJ. Lets face it, some of you have taken time to take too our last three managers. I just wonder sometimes if you honestly believe that you are the best candidates for the job because you have been successful in Football Manager. Honestly, I know that this is only opinions but, you'll be telling me that Lighthouse is an optimist next. Oh and by the way, leaving yourself aside, if Jol left, who would you replace him with?

HatterDon

my god. We've had ONE LEAGUE MATCH which we've drawn against a team that didn't ever look like scoring. Last season half of this board was still moaning about Hughes until March. What is it with Jol that makes it a mortal sin to have some doubts about him?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ImperialWhite

Quote from: HatterDon on August 19, 2011, 01:16:42 PM
my god. We've had ONE LEAGUE MATCH which we've drawn against a team that didn't ever look like scoring. Last season half of this board was still moaning about Hughes until March. What is it with Jol that makes it a mortal sin to have some doubts about him?

On the other hand - we went nearly twenty games without winning under Hughes, yet the majority of this board (in hindsight correctly) said we needed to give him more time - if I recall there was a massive "I still back Hughes" thread at some point before the West Ham game.

We've had 90 minutes in the league. Surely we need more data before forming any meaningful opinion at all?

ImperialWhite

For starters, we haven't had an abysmal away match! (only a couple of days now...)

FulhamMic

8 games; 15 goals scored; 1 goal conceded.

I'd say he's made a pretty good start to his tenure at the Cottage.

finnster01

Quote from: FulhamMic on August 19, 2011, 01:42:28 PM

You left out the impressive performances against quality opposition such as AFC Wimbledon and Stevenage with pretty fully loaded teams in our end.

But clearly, he will be the best manager we ever had and they may as well just give him the Manager of the Year trophy right now and get it over with
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: finnster01 on August 19, 2011, 02:15:31 PM

You left out the impressive performances against quality opposition such as AFC Wimbledon and Stevenage with pretty fully loaded teams in our end.

But clearly, he will be the best manager we ever had and they may as well just give him the Manager of the Year trophy right now and get it over with

Fully loaded teams - didnt we play the youth?

FulhamMic

Oh, you mean those two matches presided over by reserve team manager Billy McKinlay, NOT Martin Jol.

Fully loaded? ...

AFC Wimbledon 2-0 Fulham XI

Stockdale; Baird, Halliche Hughes, Smith; Riise (Marsh-Brown 60), Murphy, Donegan (Harris 82), Frei; Dalla Valle, Trotta (Hoesen 45)

Stevenage 1-0 Fulham XI

Etheridge (GK), Kelly, Senderos, Halliche, John Arne Riise, Frei, Sidwell, Donegan, Smith, Dalla Valle, Trotta

finnster01

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 19, 2011, 02:17:59 PM

Fully loaded teams - didnt we play the youth?

All right so there were a few youf but still about a handful of 1st team regulars. If I'm not mistaken Stevenage was the debut for JAR as well in a white shirt.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FulhamMic

Quote from: finnster01 on August 19, 2011, 02:31:28 PM
All right so there were a few youf but still about a handful of 1st team regulars. If I'm not mistaken Stevenage was the debut for JAR as well in a white shirt.

Regardless, both your criticisms were factually incorrect.

Jol wasn't in-charge for either game, nor did we field a full loaded squad.

supersub

I was talking about Jol to a Spurs season ticket-holding colleague yesterday and he said of him: "What's not to like?" I can see what he means and, obviously, it is far too early to make any proper judgments about his time at Fulham.

But did anyone else share my frustration last night about our second-half tactics? It's pretty churlish, I guess, to complain about a 3-0 win, but when our third goal went in and Dnipro looked devastated, I assumed we would go all out to batter them, score a couple more goals and kill off the tie.

Instead of that, we started playing like a team that had collectively staked all its pay for the month on a 3-0 win. We pretty much stopped pushing forward and spent much of the half on the back foot. What was that all about?

HatterDon

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 19, 2011, 01:32:57 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 19, 2011, 01:16:42 PM

On the other hand - we went nearly twenty games without winning under Hughes, yet the majority of this board (in hindsight correctly) said we needed to give him more time - if I recall there was a massive "I still back Hughes" thread at some point before the West Ham game.

We've had 90 minutes in the league. Surely we need more data before forming any meaningful opinion at all?

I haven't formed a meaningful opinion, senor. I just haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet. I said I had some doubts. This reinforces my opinion that we've created St. Marteen and anyone who isn't up to his lugholes in Hosanna's is some sort of heretic.

I'm also having some difficulty remembering the 20 matches in a row without a win to which you refer, but I'll let that pass.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

TonyGilroy

But your tone is certainly negative even hostile.

You are of course free to feel however you wish but it clearly is very early days for Jol but so far, surely, he's doing pretty well.

And appears likeable.

Tktd

Quote from: White Noise on August 18, 2011, 03:23:48 PM
I really like Jol. He will make mistakes as Hodgson and Hughes did but I think he is honest, hard working, respected by the players and willing to experiment.

He won't get us relegated, he may win a trophy and he will bring exciting players to the club and youngsters into the first team.

More than anything I like the fact that he is our third quality manager in a row. I think that is the most definitive evidence going that Fulham are seen as a club worth managing. How many other top flight English clubs have had 3 good managers in a row?

Spot on - a voice of reason!

I'm more excited about the prospects of seeing the players he's going to bring in with the reputation he's got. I also rate the fact that he brings in youth and gives it a go, but brings in good youth, with top flight careers within their grasp.

If he brings in the likes of either Crouch or Cole along with Ryan Luiz from FC Twente and he gets in a right back there'll be alot to be happy about. Patience.

FulhamMic

Quote from: HatterDon on August 19, 2011, 02:37:29 PM
I'm also having some difficulty remembering the 20 matches in a row without a win to which you refer, but I'll let that pass.

Whilst not technically in a row, Hughes first 20 league games resulted in 10 draws, 7 losses and only 3 wins.