watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any one else not digging Jol yet?

Started by Admin, August 18, 2011, 02:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

I know everyone is going to jump on this post and say "give him time", "let's see what he does" etc but I personally haven't warmed to Jol just yet. I'm like others now when Hughes first come on board but I personally liked the way he done things and got the job done. Even with minor changes, he got us winning away from home and made us a very hard side to break down. He even brought attacking football to a Hodgson side that knew nothing more than to play safety first.

Don't get me wrong, Jol's track record is good as a coach but why am I not warming to him? He's a happy chappy, seems genuine, talks a good job in interviews etc but I just don't seem very convinced at the moment. The Villa performance and a few others are making me wonder if he is suited to Fulham. The "we will see goals" comment got him head scratching the other day as to say "Ah, this could be a little difficult than first thought".

AlFayedsChequebook

My Fulham Review (thanks Rich!) arrived today and I flicked through the games until I got to the West Ham boxing day massacre.

This reminded me of two things:

1) We need to give managers time
2) With all the good work in the second half of the season, people seem to forget that we were clueless for the first 6 months under Hughes

The Equalizer

It took me until April to warm to Hughes, then he buggered off. Jury will stay out with Jol until he's proven that he's not broken a good side.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Riversider

What ever happens against Wolves and Newcastle , he must be given time, lets let the transfer window close and from Blackburn Rovers onwards we will have a much better understanding as to what life under Jol will be like.

ImperialWhite

Myth busting #1
Hughes made us a better away side.
06/07 - 1 away win
07/08 - 3 away wins
08/09 - 3 away wins
09/10 - 1 away win (plus a few in Europa)
10/11 - 3 away wins (no away cup wins)

Looks to my eyes that Hughes did virtually nothing to our away form. We may have scored more, but it didn't earn us many more points.

Myth busting #2
Our Hodgson side only knew safety first. Wrong - when we needed to, we could switch on the magic. The life saving 3-2 away win at Man City. The 3-2 away win at Basel (only a win would get us through). Juve. Winning to nil against Man United twice. Our first proper cup final for a long long time.

--

Not sure what I think about Jol though. Was initially very optimistic, but I guess we still haven't seen any properly decent football under him yet and I'm getting a bit impatient. Thought we could go up a gear against Villa but when didn't seem to be able to. BUT, I fell into the trap of criticising Hughes prematurely so I'm not going to do the same with Jol. Give him half a season at least.

Lighthouse

First of all I have to say I remember Jol at Spuds. Very popular etc etc. But made some awful tactical mistakes and was not the universally liked manager the press would have us believe. So far at Fulham he has made so many different statements about players and what we need to make most of what he says meaningless. The problems with the team when he arrived have not improved yet and we are running out of our transfer window. But he has brought in a few young players and the improvement in Riise.

Yes it is far too early and etc etc. I am sure he will do a great job. But I was so enjoying our new found attacking play under Hughes that I was reminded how dull our team can be when we played Villa. Defensive line up, two forwards who are not great playing together.

Jol will have Christmas to aim for and then the seasons end before any real criticism will be put his way. So no I am not feeling the love for Jol. I am waiting to be entertained.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

" Give him time"   "Let's see what he does"  :59:

Admin

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 18, 2011, 02:56:03 PM
Myth busting #1
06/07 - 1 away win
07/08 - 3 away wins
08/09 - 3 away wins

Looks to my eyes that Hughes did virtually nothing to our away form. We may have scored more, but it didn't earn us many more points.

Myth busting #2
Our Hodgson side only knew safety first. Wrong - when we needed to, we could switch on the magic. The life saving 3-2 away win at Man City. The 3-2 away win at Basel (only a win would get us through). Juve. Winning to nil against Man United twice. Our first proper cup final for a long long time.

--

Not sure what I think about Jol though. Was initially very optimistic, but I guess we still haven't seen any properly decent football under him yet and I'm getting a bit impatient. Thought we could go up a gear against Villa but when didn't seem to be able to. BUT, I fell into the trap of criticising Hughes prematurely so I'm not going to do the same with Jol. Give him half a season at least.

A 2-0 away win at Stoke on a horrible Wednesday night. Would have never happened under Hodgson so I count that as double, so yeah he got us winning away more than otherrs.

FC Silver Fox

The man hasn't lost a game yet. If you're like this now, what will you be like when we lose a couple of games on trot?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Andy_M

I have to say that although he hasn't lost a game and hasn't exactly done anything wrong, I agree that something doesn't quite sit with me with Jol at the moment. Perhaps it's because I was initially excited to see his arrival and possibly expected more.

Although it could also be his insistence on picking Etuhu over Sidwell that's also got me scratching my head!
@got_maile

Admin

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 18, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
The man hasn't lost a game yet. If you're like this now, what will you be like when we lose a couple of games on trot?

Same as always Silver Fox. I will throw my toy's out of the pram, vow never to watch them ever again but will get over it by the morning.

The Equalizer

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 18, 2011, 03:02:43 PM

Fair point, but I think that many of us are still riding high from the fantastic last half of the previous season, so to see a lacklustre display like the one against Villa has put a few question marks in the air.

I'm still not happy about his breaking the Hangeland/Hughes pairing, and I don't see the value in having Zamora and AJ playing together up front. And Etuhu.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Its strange I did not like Hughes from day one and did not trust him with team.
When Jol joined I was open to youth getting in the team and playing with proper wingers...hmm that's not happened yet really but Frei was a start.
We have a settled team, maybe as many as nine or ten pick themselves, but i have come to the conclusion that it now needs changing, the villa game with the same old players showed this team or set of players have run out of ideas. I hope jol sees that and starts to make changes, especially in mid field and up front...just don't mess with H&H.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Andy_M on August 18, 2011, 03:04:05 PM
I have to say that although he hasn't lost a game and hasn't exactly done anything wrong, I agree that something doesn't quite sit with me with Jol at the moment. Perhaps it's because I was initially excited to see his arrival and possibly expected more.

Although it could also be his insistence on picking Etuhu over Sidwell that's also got me scratching my head!
The etuhu over Sidwell thing is one of lifes many mysteries.

Andy_M

Jol just doesn't seem to like him, which is odd as he was an inspiration for us once last season. Maybe Sidwell was sat texting, or tweeting or reading this messageboard during Jol's first team meeting.
@got_maile

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Admin on August 18, 2011, 03:00:42 PM
Myth busting #1
06/07 - 1 away win
07/08 - 3 away wins
08/09 - 3 away wins

Myth busting #2

--

A 2-0 away win at Stoke on a horrible Wednesday night. Would have never happened under Hodgson so I count that as double, so yeah he got us winning away more than otherrs.

I would give him minus points in that we could not get close to beating any of the top 6 (bar Chelsea) and were humiliated by a very average Lpool team and a good Man City team because of Hughes's tactical ineptitude.

Admin

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on August 18, 2011, 03:09:23 PM
Myth busting #1
06/07 - 1 away win
07/08 - 3 away wins
08/09 - 3 away wins

Myth busting #2

--

I would give him minus points in that we could not get close to beating any of the top 6 (bar Chelsea) and were humiliated by a very average Lpool team and a good Man City team because of Hughes's tactical ineptitude.

I agree but he still got us into 8th position and if a percentage of those draws were wins, who knows, automatic qualification for Europe? Don't laugh but possibly knocking on the back door of the CL? O.K, he got it wrong a couple of times against top six sides but he did made us look fearless with his no mess attitude. 

finnster01

I have said it for a long time: Jol must go.  089.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Admin

Quote from: finnster01 on August 18, 2011, 03:19:31 PM
I have said it for a long time: Jol must go.  089.gif

Jol out it is then!!

ImperialWhite

Unfortunately for you I'm counting Pompey 0 - Fulham 1 as a thousand away wins!  :005: