watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Greatest Living British Actors?

Started by White Noise, March 03, 2010, 09:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

Anybody mentioned Tom Wilkinson? Been about for some time in BBC costume stuff and in Hollywood films. Played the Father in 'In the Bedroom' a fine film about revenge and plenty of stuff since.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

TheDaddy

Malcolm McDowell

Alex: And the first thing that flashed into my gulliver was that I'd like to have her right down there on the floor with the old in-out, real savage.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Lighthouse

Also in A Clockwork Orange was Warren Clarke, better known now for Dalziel & Pascoe

MrCheviot

Daniel Day Lewis is a breed apart IMO.

Ben Kingsley is amazing.

Ian McShane in HBO's Deadwood blew my f**king mind.
"Zamora!! What About that? We have seen some brilliant football from Shakhtar Donetsk tonight, but nothing.. nothing quite as good as that!"

FC Silver Fox

You've all missed the biggest.

Lee Bowyer, the diving, shirt-pulling, cheating big girl's blouse. He only gets my vote because Drogba isn't British.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

finnster01

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on March 04, 2010, 07:04:44 AM
You've all missed the biggest.

Lee Bowyer, the diving, shirt-pulling, cheating big girl's blouse. He only gets my vote because Drogba isn't British.
:D ;D
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

bog

Roger Moore never took himself seriously. Was well aware that his looks got him film parts.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: MrCheviot on March 04, 2010, 03:08:31 AM

Ben Kingsley is amazing.

Deadwood is the best TV series I've ever seen and McShane was incredible.

I'd add Patrick Stewart and Jim Broadbent to the list.

alfie

The problem with a thread like this is that everyone has completely different ideas and tastes, what you may think is good i may think is rubbish, it is the same with football coaches/scouts, they all see something different, but if i must choose then i think currently David Tennent very versatile actor.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

The Equalizer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on March 04, 2010, 08:42:51 AM
Quote from: MrCheviot on March 04, 2010, 03:08:31 AM

Ben Kingsley is amazing.

Deadwood is the best TV series I've ever seen and McShane was incredible.

I'd add Patrick Stewart and Jim Broadbent to the list.

I was about to post exactly the same Tony. Just on Season 2 of Deadwood and it's ruddy amazing! More profanity than a Manchester slum.

I see no-one has mentioned Ian Holm yet.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

blingo

TonyGilroy

I was about to post exactly the same Tony. Just on Season 2 of Deadwood and it's ruddy amazing! More profanity than a Manchester slum.

I see no-one has mentioned Ian Holm yet.

[/quote]

And it justs gets better. You're in for a treat with Series 3. I'll give nothing away but there's one fight scene which is the most gruesome I've ever seen.

Incredibly much of what is portrayed is historically accurate. Apart from the language because if 19th century profanities were used it would seem exceptionally mild - the likes of "drat" or "by God". So to give the correct effect they had to use language that we, even today, find shocking.

The Equalizer

Yeah, I Wiki'ed Deadwood and read up on all the characters. It's incredible that all of the events are historically accurate, if somewhat embellished for dramatic effect.

Al Swearengen was actually in his mid 30s during the events of the show.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

GoldCoastWhite

Charles Dance ?

I'm not really a fan of Sean Connery or Michael Cain. I've enjoyed some of Connery's performances but he plays every character almost exactly the same as the last. Russian sub commander with a Scottish accent ? And Michael Caine much the same for me but a bit more of a range. I did enjoy "Last Orders" though, excellent British production.

The Equalizer

I watched Die Hard again last night on Sky. Alan Rickman's Hans Gruber really is the greatest ever movie villain. What a quality actor.

"And when Alexander looked over the breadth of his domain he wept for there were no worlds left to conquer. Benefits of a classical education..."

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on March 04, 2010, 09:01:52 AM
The problem with a thread like this is that everyone has completely different ideas and tastes, what you may think is good i may think is rubbish, it is the same with football coaches/scouts, they all see something different, but if i must choose then i think currently David Tennent very versatile actor.

The thread is about the Greatest Living British Actor not the favourite. I agree that alot of those names mentioned would not be on my list. Acting is all to do with script and Direction and Production as well as the Acting. There really are not that many greats. Tennant may be versatile but is not great. But then only three or four are.

No Female as yet mentioned. Some great ones out there.

Logicalman

What about Robert Carlisle? I can think of three movies that show him in diverse roles, The Full Monty, The 51st State, and that Bond movie, (the one where M - Judy Dench - is kidnapped).

alfie

Lighthouse, this is what i mean about this thread
The thread is about the Greatest Living British Actor not the favourite.

If you do not like the actor/actress you are hardly going to consider them to be great, i used to think that Paul Scholfield was the best but of course others thought that Olivier was or Richardson or Redgrave, it's all about personal taste.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

FC Silver Fox

This thread is about actors, not actresses, Lighthouse. The linguistic distinction exists in the English language. You don't get actors calling themselves actresses, not many anyway.
Its all this gender neutralisation rubbish emanating from the States. Girls calling themselves guys, etc. I take my lead from nature. When cows start growing cojones, I'll call them all bulls.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Lighthouse

Quote from: alfie on March 04, 2010, 10:56:35 AM
Lighthouse, this is what i mean about this thread
The thread is about the Greatest Living British Actor not the favourite.

If you do not like the actor/actress you are hardly going to consider them to be great, i used to think that Paul Scholfield was the best but of course others thought that Olivier was or Richardson or Redgrave, it's all about personal taste.

That was my point really. If somebody asked you about Great British Actors you would list Olivier amongst them. But he wasn't your favourite. But he was considered the best. In the same way as you would never mention Roger Moore as a great British Actor, Whoops somebody did, but the exception proves the rule.

Kenneth Branagh is the modern day equavalent. Never a fan until Wallander. But great actor or great part.