watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham inbetweeners....

Started by Tktd, August 19, 2011, 01:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tktd

So read the article writte by Rufus Brevett in the Programme today and in lieu of the new inbetweener film coming out today it got me thinking...

Who are fulhams inbetweeners?

Let me explain...

In Rufus's article he mentioned how all the players were really enjoying playing for Fulham at the moment and how it's been great being part of the most successful period in Fulhams history arguably ever... He mentioned how it's easy to appreciate where you are when you're winning, and he raises a valid point in saying it's not always been like that.

It lead me to thinking that it's very easy to nowadays have a favourite player - everything's going well and the teams winning BUT what about when everything wasn't going well - who was here and got us to where we are now and who we have possibly forgotten but who played a key role in us getting to this period of stability....

I think it's important to remember where we come from, I think most of you will also agree, but more important, when it comes to the club is to not lose sight of who got us here - whether you like or loathe them...

Players like Sean Davis, Steve Finnan, Lee Clark, Edwin Van Der Saar, Jean Tigana, Roy Hodgson and dare I say it to some of you Jimmy Bullard were all instrumental in giving us their all and really helping us stay up when times got rough or keeping us up when we just came up and were fighting relegation... Saha also deserves a mention, Barry Hayles, Geoff Horsefield etcc...

Anyway, I just wanted to start a kinda tribute thread to any of those players that aren't around now that we should pay tribute to for helping being instrumental in their own little but significant way, whether it's by being humble, down-to-earth and Fulhamish, always having time for the fans and giving us our friendly reputation or , like I said, giving their all to Fulham's cause when all wasn't seen through rose tinted glasses...

Please feel free to add any names... obviously Al Fayed and Jimmy Hill get big mentions...

Lighthouse

John Marshal was with the club for 15 odd years and played in every position nearly and played over 400 times. He was a true utility player and never recieved the thanks he deserved considering he was with the club during the bad old day. Without players like him we wouldn't have the team we have today.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Dan in Notts

This isn't nearly as good as Lighthouse's suggestion of John Marshall, who played in pretty much every position and was a real stalwart as things got bleaker and bleaker, but Julian Hails cheered me up during at least one miserable season in the in between years: more skill and trickery than you'd usually see at the level we were playing, very occasionally (okay, maybe once ... for 30 minutes) capable of running a game, and looked like he might become a bit of a star.  In a similar vein: Justin Skinner and Paul Brooker.  If not quite oases in the desert of the decade and a half from 1983 onwards, mirages that provided a bit of hope.

Sheepskin Junior

Brian McBride. Without him we would be a lot worse off than we are
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

CincyFulham1

More recently Murphy and Dempsey have saved us on the last day of the season.  They weren't the days of languishing in the lower divisions, but not the stability we have today.  I agree with you about RH and Bullard. 

The Bronsons

Don't laugh: Kuqi.  :005:  :005:  :005:

I can think of at least two goals he made when coming on as sub in that dire Sanchez period: a flicked header from the middle of the park that ended with a cross to Healey, and a mad bruising bundle on the line that knocked the ball (and half the defence) against Dempsey, who got the last touch over the line. (I can't remember the opponents.)   092.gif

Not a good player, by any stretch, but those were valuable goals, maybe as valuable in the wider scheme as Danny's. And just for the comedy value, Kuqi.

Vinnieffc

Back in the bad ole days Jeff Eckhardt was a little beam of sunshine in a dreadfully bad side.. Gary Brazil too.. And I always liked Martin Pike (although I understand he was a bit of a bad dressing room influence)..

ron

Chippy Carpenter, Nick Cusack, Mike Conroy, Robbie Herrera.....all there at the beginning of the great Renaissance.

CincyFulham1

Eric Nevland and I dare say Kamara against Citeh.

MJG

Quote from: Vinnieffc on August 19, 2011, 01:27:44 PM
Back in the bad ole days Jeff Eckhardt was a little beam of sunshine in a dreadfully bad side.. Gary Brazil too.. And I always liked Martin Pike (although I understand he was a bit of a bad dressing room influence)..
I always liked Pike, spoke to him a lot and found him very down to earth unlike say Justin Skinner.
I gave Jeff a player of the month prize in front of the Hammersmith end once and still have the photo on display in my house.

Two names for me in this whole list:

Ray Lewington, ok not really a manager but has Fulham in his heart (ok I know he's chelsea)
&
Gary Barnett, old FA Cup ears used to love him as a player.

MrFantastic

there would be no Fulham without Jimmy Bullard
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

watfordwhite

Barry hayles and Steeeeeeeeeeeeed

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.548117,-1.852148
- Watford white
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrumpy

Simon Morgan.

We bought him at the same time as Stacy North. 2 quality players bought with money we really didn't have at the time. Typical of football, one barely got started after a nasty injury ended his playing days while the other went on to play for us in all four divisions.

I can honestly remember coming away from every match in one particular season and agreeing that Simon Morgan was man of the match. Literally MOM for about 23 out of 24 games. If anyone stopped us disappearing into oblivion it was the moaning brummie himself. Gawd bless 'im.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.