more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I'm on a different page - Briggs

Started by rhyspabsolom, August 19, 2011, 05:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhyspabsolom

I'm doubting myself.
During / after the game last night I left the Cottage thinking that that was the worst I'd seen Briggs play for us, that he was our worst player and a constant liability.

He didn't do too badly defensively, occasionally letting their winger get the run on him, but on the ball he either played the pass too short, much too late (constantly putting Duff under pressure) or just straight out of play.
Murphy had to tell him when and where to run for the first 20 mins and when he found himself with the ball and space to run into he just seemed to amble wide, waiting for Duff to do something he could pass to.
Luckily his strength got him out of a few situations that were potentially dangerous losses of possession, it's a good quality that full-backs often lack.

Anyway, I'm not being a WUM or looking for a fight but I thought (barr his assist and some late surges into the box) he was really poor and I was genuinely surprised when the manager, pundits and you lot were praising his performance.

Was anyone else not astounded by him or should I get my head checked?  094.gif

JBH

Put down that medication it is clearly not working  096.gig

TonyGilroy

Briggs is impressing me more and more. I think we may have a Gareth Bale on our hands.

He gets forward with real pace and intent and has good ball skills. Defensively he's looking fine to me.

It is a problem not really knowing how strong our opposition has been but I'm hoping to see plenty of Briggs this season.

Brede Butter Pudding

A liability... who set up the first goal? Hmmmmm

Yarden

Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 19, 2011, 07:28:49 AM
Briggs is impressing me more and more. I think we may have a Gareth Bale on our hands.

He gets forward with real pace and intent and has good ball skills. Defensively he's looking fine to me.

It is a problem not really knowing how strong our opposition has been but I'm hoping to see plenty of Briggs this season.

Just what i was thinking, he does look alot like Bale and I fear the big boys will come after him if he has a really good season.

rhyspabsolom

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on August 19, 2011, 07:30:39 AM
A liability... who set up the first goal? Hmmmmm

Firstly, setting up a goal (attack) has nothing to do with him being a liability (defense).
Secondly, I said "barr his assist".
Please read my original post before you don't make a point.

BB

Did you actually go to the game?? Briggs put in a good shift and played well. Duff played like a headless chicken, all huff and puff, rushing everything and as is becoming more usual with each match he plays, no end decent product..... time to sell and move him on!!! 086.gif

Sidwell played like everything Dicks'out' is not. Composed, cool under pressure, he even managed to get a shot off ( Dicks'out' please note [and I know the shot was off target] ), managed to pass the ball to his team mates and should be a starting choice every week and not getting splinters in his arse on the bench.  098.gif

Whilst Dicks'out' needs to go back and train 'intensively' on how and who to pass the ball to, whilst he's there he needs to get his eyesight checked as well. Currently he should be viewed as an oxygen thief.....

Murphy, seems to have had an indifferent start to the season and although he has upped his fitness level he looks like he is Mr. Grumpy with a real nasty hangover... :031:

If its advice your looking for... try The Samaritans!  S001.gif

Snibbo

Quote from: BB on August 19, 2011, 08:24:00 AM
If its advice your looking for... try The Samaritans!  S001.gif

Bit unnecessary.

CravenCottager

i went to the match last night and have to say I wasn't awestruck by Briggs' performance. Certainly the reverential press he is getting on the back of last night doesn't reflect the game I thought he had. He made some good runs and the set up for Hughes was terrific. However, in the second half he got skinned a fair few times and there were a number of occasions when he did the hard work of recovering the ball and then dwelt on it and gave it away. A little defensively naïve at the minute for me but I have seen enough to think (maybe just hope) that he will turn into a very decent player.
"The first 90 minutes are the most important".

Motspur

I think some perspective is needed. He is a young lad trying to earn a place in the first team. He has limited premiership experience and would have had a fair few more starts had he not had such a bad injury last season. He is not yet the finished article but who is at that age and having played so few games? He has the attributes to become a very good player but that will be down to his attitude and the opportunities he gets.

He played ok last night and recovered well from dodgy situations. That is precisely why these sorts of games are invaluable to give him experience without necessarily risking him in important league games.

Willard

I thought that Briggs and Kelly added a real dimension to our play by their forward runs and crosses into the Dnipro box. Defensively, though, both were liable for some of the scary moments. Mind you they weren't the only ones. We seemed to cede control of the game in the last 10 minutes but I'm not sure why.

That said, it was a good performance from Fulham and an improvement on the Villa game but we're still a work in progress.

In the Enclosure

I went last night and thought he had a mixed game but thats what one might expect from a youngster. He is a really good athlete with speed and made some lovely eyecatching bursts forward. Duff was definitely telling him off for keep misplacing passes to him but hopefully he will learn. If he can improve his passing and positional play I think he will turn himself into a real asset - Him and Kasami look like a couple of good young prospects

FC Silver Fox

I disagree with you completely, Rhyspabsolom. Matthew Briggs was strong going forward with all the audacity of youth, creating the goal and almost scoring himself. Like all good players, he always seems to have plenty of time on the ball and makes himself available in space. I agree with other posters that he's still learning his craft but he's picking it up very fast. Don't forget that he's primarily a centre-back not a left back. I think he will evolve into a very good central midfield player in the next few years (yes, central midfield rather than left back).
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

rhyspabsolom

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "Briggs out".

He's a great prospect, absolutely has to play as many of these games as possible (both with and without Riise like previous matches).

It's just that he's getting all the praise for last night when I think he was much better against the Pharoes and the Norn Irons.

rhyspabsolom

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on August 19, 2011, 09:15:53 AM
I disagree with you completely, Rhyspabsolom. Matthew Briggs was strong going forward with all the audacity of youth, creating the goal and almost scoring himself.

I think he was good once he was forward (receiving the ball down the wing, etc) but never seemed to drive forward or make decisive passes from the back.

Like all good players, he always seems to have plenty of time on the ball and makes himself available in space.

I actually think he received the ball in lots of space (and therefore time) due to the technique and vision of his teammates (Papa Smurph and the Hangman) but then dawdled, resulting in rushed and misplaced passes.

epsomraver

Crikey , 3-0 and people want to moan about players, Briggs is young and learning, Duff and Murf were guiding him,  he played very well!!!! I will be amazed if one day we play a match and no one moans about something

TonyGilroy

Quote from: epsomraver on August 19, 2011, 09:26:18 AM
Crikey , 3-0 and people want to moan about players, Briggs is young and learning, Duff and Murf were guiding him,  he played very well!!!! I will be amazed if one day we play a match and no one moans about something

Strange isn't it?

The worst thing you can say about last night is that it was a solid performance and job done.

Personally I'm going further and getting excited about the potential of Briggs and Kasami but I suppose that's optional.

But to be critical?

rhyspabsolom

Again, I'm not moaning. I'm just saying that I don't understand why everyone's giving him such high praise.
If you don't want debate, close the forum.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on August 19, 2011, 09:22:05 AM
I disagree with you completely, Rhyspabsolom. Matthew Briggs was strong going forward with all the audacity of youth, creating the goal and almost scoring himself.

I think he was good once he was forward (receiving the ball down the wing, etc) but never seemed to drive forward or make decisive passes from the back.

There were a few occasions when he didn't see the pass to Duff available until too late, I agree.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 19, 2011, 09:42:11 AM
Quote from: rhyspabsolom on August 19, 2011, 09:22:05 AM

There were a few occasions when he didn't see the pass to Duff available until too late, I agree.

I think this is an experience thing rather than a talent thing. He looks very comfortable on the ball, so it is his decision making that needs to improve. Again, experience is key here.