Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (4/3/10)

Started by WhiteJC, March 04, 2010, 07:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/summer-search-midfielder-1032031.html
Summer search on for midfielder
Fulham, 15:06, March 3, 2010

Fulham midfielder Andranik Teymourian is looking for a switch to one of Europe's top leagues when he inevitably leaves the club.

The former Bolton player held discussions with boss Roy Hodgson over his lack of playing time in January but did not receive the right offer to tempt him away.

However, having not played in the Premier League this season, the 26-year-old knows the writing is on the wall and that he will not be offered anything by Fulham when his contract expires at the end of the season.

The Iran international is eager to stay in Europe, rather than return home, and could be a target for clubs in Spain and France.

He is quoted as saying by Iranfootball.ir: "I wanted to join another team in the winter break, but I did not receive a good offer.

"I am determined to stay in Europe and I don't want to return to Iran.

"Roy Hodgson prefers to use the other players at Fulham and I cannot stay at Craven Cottage. I am sure I am going to have brighter days in European football."

WhiteJC

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/tottenhamjournal/Tottenhamhotspur/story.aspx?brand=TWGJOnline&category=THFCNews&tBrand=TWGJOnline&tCategory=defaultTHFC&itemid=WeED03+Mar+2010+15%3A16%3A43%3A283
Fulham v Tottenham preview: Will Cottagers hit the wall?
BOBBY DAZZLER . . . Bobby Dazzler shows his strength in Fulham's win over Shakhtar Donetsk
FULHAM fans continue to pinch themselves as they enjoy arguably the most successful season in the club's history.

Despite qualifying for the inaugural Europa League last season with a best-ever seventh-placed finish, few fans expected to be fighting on three fronts in March - and they weren't the only ones.

"The chairman made it very clear: give it [Europe] your best shot but for Christ's sake don't let it impact on the Premier League," said Roy Hodgson earlier in the season.

Survival was still the fundamental priority as Fulham kicked off their season in July. But, 44 games later, there is all to play for at the business end of the season.

Fulham are virtually safe with 38 points already in the bag, allowing them to focus on their striking progress in both the FA Cup and Europe - having sensationally eliminated holders Shakhtar Donetsk and progressed into the last 16 last week.

The Cottagers' stellar season is all the more remarkable because they are missing key first-team players.

Andrew Johnson has made just 13 appearances this campaign, Clint Dempsey is out with a cruciate knee injury and Hodgson is also missing both of his first-choice full-backs. John Pantsil has a knee injury while ex-Spurs left-back Paul Konchesky is racing to be fit after an ankle problem.

"We don't have the kind of squad where we can make wholesale changes," said Hodgson. "We know what our best team is and we try to get it on the field. I keep expecting the players to hit the wall after all the games we've played this season but they keep proving me wrong."

Spurs hope that Fulham finally flag this weekend, but the Cottagers' staggering stamina shows no signs of expiring - they played eight games in February, and were unbeaten.

In fact, Hodgson's side are now enjoying their longest break for six weeks, and they will fancy their chances of extending their FA Cup adventure beyond this weekend.

Spurs were lucky to escape Fulham with a goalless draw on Boxing Day, when Heurelho Gomes was the man of the match.

The Cottagers have one of the best four home defences in the top flight, having conceded nine times in 14 games - the same as Spurs.

Hodgson's side have also matched Tottenham's points total at home, taking 29 Premier League points from a possible 42, and beating Liverpool (3-1) and Manchester United (3-0) along the way.

Fulham's stellar season is largely due to veteran Aussie goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer and towering centre-back Brede Hangeland, but Bobby Zamora has suddenly seized the mantle at the other end of the field.

The ex-Spurs forward recently scored in four consecutive games, taking his total tally to 15 in all competitions.

JournalSport verdict: Dickson Etuhu will allow Danny Murphy the freedom to dictate the game, while Zoltan Gera will play in behind Zamora.

Hodgson's side are very well organised and, with a makeshift midfield, Spurs will struggle to break through.

This looks like a repeat of the Boxing Day stalemate - a tight, cagey affair with neither side overexposing themselves. The defences and keepers are likely to come out on top again, setting up another replay at the Lane."

Prediction: 0-0

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=190270
FA Launch Next Phase Of Respect Campaign
FA Respect Programme is making great progress:

There has been a 9% increase in the number of qualified referees this season and there are 5,197 trainee referees at Level Nine - 1 a 45% increase on 2008/09

Dissent cautions are down in 12 out of 16 of the senior professional leagues and divisions. In the Premier League alone dissent cautions are down by 37% whilst in the Championship the numbers are down by 53%, with League One showing an 8% decrease and League Two dropping by 10%

Respect has become a compulsory module in The FA's training courses for all new referees and coaches (over 25,000) coming into the game each season

Referee assaults down 25% on previous season

But there is still work to be done:

800 grassroots games abandoned in 2008/09 season due to player or spectator misconduct 2

1 in 4 parents would not consider confronting an offensive spectator for fear of physical retaliation 3

1 The FA's 'Get Into Refereeing' campaign, in association with Carlsberg, aims to recruit a base of over 31,000 registered referees in England by 2012.

2 FA data: Games abandoned due to player or spectator misconduct during 2008/9 season across grassroots football in England*

3 OnePoll survey of 2,000 football players and fans (aged 18-45) conducted on 5-7 February 2010

------------

The FA`s new Respect films, entitled 'Are you Losing it?` feature the narratives of an offending player and parent to demonstrate exactly what team‐mates think about their abusive behaviour. The first film, aimed at adult players, depicts an aggressive 'win at all costs` player and his abusive comments, which are overlaid with the voices of his teammates and their chorus of annoyance and disapproval at his actions. The second film, targeting parents and adult supporters, puts the spotlight on a fresh faced junior player who starts the game with youthful enthusiasm but quickly shrinks in confidence thanks to the over zealous 'support` of their parent.

The FA`s approach to the films has been prompted by an ongoing sense of frustration within the grassroots game at the issue of abusive players ruining the game for everyone else.

Taking the Respect message directly to football fans and players, the new films will receive their first play at Wembley during the England v Egypt game on 3rd March 2010. The launch of the 'Are you Losing it?` campaign is supported by research findings which suggest that 58% of grassroots players are prepared to call the verbal shots by telling a team‐mate to calm down if they display offensive behaviour towards an opposing player.

Breaking the Respect code of conduct by physically assaulting a player from the opposing side was seen as the most socially unacceptable behaviour by grassroots players. One in four players admitted they would seek to find an alternative team should a team‐mate of theirs assault a rival player4.

2 FA data: Games abandoned due to player or spectator misconduct during 2008/9 season across grassroots football in England*

3 OnePoll survey of 2,000 football players and fans (aged 18-45) conducted on 5-7 February 2010

4 OnePoll survey of 2,000 football players and fans conducted on 5-7 Feb 2010

Ian Watmore, CEO of The FA commented on the Respect programme, saying: 'We want people to be passionate about the game in the way they play it and the way they watch it, but there is a difference between passion and abuse. There is a difference between banter and vile comments and I think we need to find that balance in each of those areas.'

Out of the current 1,169 leagues in England, the number that are signed up to the Respect programme now stands at 707, whilst over 80,000 education packs have been distributed to leagues, clubs and referees.

For more information on The FA`s Respect programme visit thefa.com/respect

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=190369
Fulham - The Greatest Game!
Contemplating the meaning of life this lunch time I stumbled across a posting on one of the many football forums out there.

Posted, obviously by a Fulham fan, it commented on the club currently touting tickets for the forthcoming Europa League clash, against Juventus, as the greatest game in the history of our club.

Now quite rightly the author of the posting, plus several others that had replied; didn`t agree with such a billing.

In fact they went on to question what exactly has been the greatest game in our history!

Amongst the suggestions were the FA Cup Final against West Ham and the last gasp escape against Portsmouth the season before last.

I thought the subject might possibly prompt a response from the Vital Fulham faithful!

Without further ado, what do you perceive as the greatest game in our history?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=190367
Fulham - Spurs Injury Woe Ahead of Cup Tie!
Wandering around the Vital network last night do I sense that Spurs are having problems ahead of our critical FA Cup clash this Saturday afternoon?

Apparently, Spurs have recalled their young midfield ace Jake Livermore, from Peterborough to compensate for a lengthy midfield injury list that already contains the names of Aaron Lennon, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas and Tom Huddlestone.

It makes you wonder whether this really could be our year!

Get stuck into them lads!

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=190366
Fulham - Smalling on Rise to Fame!
I can`t recall who it was that sang - some guys have all the luck!

In fact at this early hour (at the time of writing) I`m not even sure it was guys or galls.

Nevertheless, it does provide a neat introduction for an article relating to a certain Chris Smalling.

Smalling, as you are all aware, made his Fulham first team debut this season and was promptly snapped up by Manchester United in a mega-money deal and then subsequently loaned back to us for the remainder of the season.

Tonight, Chris continues his rise to prominence with another appearance for the England U21 side, against Greece, at Doncaster. It`s a far cry from eighteen months ago when he was jobbing as a waiter for £5 an hour whilst playing for Maidstone United.

Speaking to the media, Chris has commented ahead of the game,

"It has been a whirlwind and things have happened very quickly. It is very exciting.

"My move to United came out of the blue. I was just concentrating on doing well for Fulham and linking up with the U21`s, then suddenly it came up and it was a fantastic opportunity for me."

"When you have one of the biggest clubs in the world even considering you will be good enough for them, it is a massive compliment."

"I think at times I`ll be star-struck, but I`m not nervous. When I started to play for Fulham I got a few nerves, but I`ve played now and have started to get used to it."

It probably is a dream come true Chris but never forget who gave you the opportunity to realise that dream!

WhiteJC

http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/tottenhamjournal/Tottenhamhotspur/story.aspx?brand=TWGJOnline&category=THFCNews&tBrand=TWGJOnline&tCategory=defaultTHFC&itemid=WeED03+Mar+2010+16%3A47%3A51%3A890
Ex-men can ruin Wembley dream

MICHAEL Dawson is urging Tottenham to respect their formidable former team-mates as Spurs travel to Fulham in the FA Cup quarter-finals on Saturday.

The Lilywhites have won just one of their last nine trips to Craven Cottage, and fought out a tense goalless draw on the banks of the Thames in December.

X-FACTOR . . . Spurs old-boy Bobby Zamora tussles with Michael Dawson at Craven Cottage earlier this season 
Encouragingly, that solitary victory in west London came when the sides last met in the FA Cup, with the Lilywhites triumphing 4-0 in February 2007.

However, Dawson is aware that Roy Hodgson's resurgent side - and particularly the Cottagers' dangerous ex-Spurs contingent - are perfectly capable of capitalising on their home advantage and sealing the spot in the final four.

"We went to Fulham on Boxing Day and whenever you go there it's always tough, but we went there a few years ago in the FA Cup and had a good win. Hopefully we'll have another good win there at the weekend, but we know it will be a difficult game," said Dawson.

"Simon Davies was at Tottenham when I first came to the club, and Murph [Danny Murhpy] was here as well. I've played with Bobby [Zamora] at England Under-21 level but not when he was at Tottenham. They're good players and we know they're a good team.

"Bobby's definitely one of the in-form strikers in the Premier League at the moment.

Whenever you play against him you know it's going to be a tough. He's certainly on fire at the moment, scoring some good goals.

"I think you look at the way he holds the ball up, his goalscoring, he's a top player. You come up against so many of them in the Premier League so it's going to be another good test."

Dawson is fully aware of the prize that awaits the Lilywhites if they triumph at the weekend - a trip to Wembley in the semi-finals.

"We're 90 minutes away from Wembley. Let's hope we have another win and then we can look forward to a day out," he said.

"Playing twice at Wembley is better than playing once at Wembley, but when you go there you want to win the cup. If we go there in the semi-final we'll certainly want to go there and play again. It's not just one day out, it's cup final day that you want to be there, not the semis. You want to win the cup, it's as simple as that.

"This year you look at the teams who have gone out of the competition, but the teams that are still in will all be thinking the same as us. They'll all have a massive belief that they're going to go on and win the cup, so our first aim is to overcome Fulham, which will be a tough game.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamusa.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=939
FA Cup Quarterfinal: Fulham v Tottenham
Craven Cottage will be pulsating this Saturday as Fulham hosts Tottenham with a trip to Wembley Stadium and a berth in the FA Cup semifinals on the line. While neither team considers the other an arch rival, it still is a London derby. Throw in what's at stake, and the big match atmosphere will be very memorable for those fans lucky to be in attendance.

Both teams are coming off very busy and successful Februaries with Tottenham playing 7 matches (winning 4, drawing 2, with one loss), while the hosts went unbeaten in the month in 8 matches (5 of those victories). Overall, this will be the 130th meeting between the two clubs. Spurs have the clear historical advantage winning 65 times compared to Fulham's 29 (they have drawn 35). They have met 6 times in this competition with Tottenham owning a 4-1-1 record. Spurs have won the FA Cup 8 times (most recently in 1991), While the Cottagers best finish in this competition is runner-up in 1975. They have met twice already this season. The teams drew nil-nil at Craven Cottage on December 26th in a game most people agree Fulham clearly outplayed their opponents. While in the return fixture on January 26th, Spurs dominated the match White Hart Lane, winning 2-0.

Tottenham currently sit in fourth place in the Premiership and possess a variety of weapons, but with Tom Huddlestone's injury adding to the list of already knicked up players they're not running on all cylinders. However, there is still plenty of talent healthy left to make them a formidable side. The Croatian combination of Modric, Corluka, and Kranjcar know how to play together and fit into the polarizing Harry Redknapp's system. Jermaine Defoe leads Spurs with 16 goals in all competitions and the once 'about to be sold' Roman Pavlyuchenko is on form with 6 goals in his last 4 matches.

Fulham's recent resurgence seems to have coincided with the addition of NIcky Shorey in the transfer window and the return of Bobby Zamora from injury. Shorey's play at left back combined with Chris Baird's contribution on the right has steadied the defence. Throw in the consistent and steady play of Hughes, Hangeland, and Schwartzer and Fulham's backline is a very solid.

One of the many underlying stories will be how Fulham's trio of Spurs castoffs perform. Captain Danny Murphy, Simon Davies, and Bobby Zamora have all been let go by the North London outfit, and while motivation will not be an issue for either squad, a victory for these three would have to be extra sweet.

All Fulham supporters recognize this as a giant opportunity. However, for life long fans who remember the Whites run in 1975 this has to have special significance. A victory would further validate the undying belief fans have in Roy Hodgson. Another obvious observation is that a draw would be far and away better for the visitors. Winning in a replay at White Hart Lane is probably too tough an task. For Fulham the time is here and now.

COME ON YOU WHITES!!!

Note:
by SoCalJoe, FulhamUSA contributer 

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1255248/England-Under-21-1-Greece-Under-21-2-Smalling-blunder-leaves-Pearce-big-hole.html?ITO=1490
England Under-21 1 Greece Under-21 2: Smalling blunder leaves Pearce in a big hole

England lost their unbeaten record in Group Nine and are in danger of missing out on next year's European Under 21 Championship after a glaring error by Manchester United-bound Chris Smalling at Doncaster's Keepmoat Stadium last night.
Trailing to a first-half goal, England were trying to claw their way back when Smalling allowed a loose ball to trickle past him into the path of Ioannis Papadopoulos, who accepted the invitation to fire his side into what proved a winning lead.

It was a misjudgement ill- befitting a player who will cost United £10million when he finally leaves Fulham in the summer, but the blame for England malaise was hardly his alone.
While there was a purpose and cutting edge to much of group leaders Greece's endeavours, England looked sluggish and were beaten to the ball too easily and too frequently. Nathan Delfouneso pulled a goal back on his debut, but England now trail Greece by five points and will have their work cut out bridging the gap in the two games they have left.
Micah Richards marshalled the England defence in decisive fashion on a bitterly cold evening in South Yorkshire.
There were uncomfortable moments from the start for Pearce's side, but they might have proved even more problematic without a reminder of the sureness that earned the versatile City defender his first senior England cap at the age of 18.

A last-ditch sliding tackle on Vasileios Koutsianikoulis had to be timed to perfection, just as the Greece winger set his sights on goal in the 15th minute, and even when Elin Dimoutsos looked to have escaped Richards' attentions three minutes later, the England skipper recovered brilliantly to regain possession.
There was nothing Richards could do in the 28th minute, though, as Greece went in front.
Dimoutsos' header from an Ioannis Papadopoulos corner was cleared off the line by Tottenham full back Kyle Walker, but centre back Kyriakos Papadopoulos rammed home the loose ball to spark delirious scenes in the visitors' technical area.
Pearce stood stony-faced and could hardly have been enamoured with the sight of his side failing to muster an attempt on goal until the 36th minute, when Tom Cleverley had a shot deflected on to the roof of the net.

Smalling's lapse came in the 48th minute. Richards appeared to have cut out the danger with an outstretched boot that halted a weaving run from Koutsianikoulis, only for Smalling to undo all the good work by somehow failing to heed the lurking presence of Ioannis Papadopoulos just behind him.
By the time he switched on, the Greek midfielder was already setting his sights and drawing back his boot for an unchallenged finish.
Pearce had to make changes, and the introduction of Delfouneso had the desired effect. The Aston Villa forward's debut was barely six minutes old when he forced home a close-range chance, after keeper Asterios Giakoumis failed to hang on to a stinging volley from Walker.

Pearce admitted he was bitterly disappointed at the manner of his first competitive home defeat in three years but claimed qualification was still in England's hands.
'If we win our two remaining games, we will be on 17 points, and that should be good enough to go through as runners-up,' he said. 'But we will have to do a lot better, particularly in our next game, away to Portugal. We were poor and did not play to a standard acceptable to us.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1255248/England-Under-21-1-Greece-Under-21-2-Smalling-blunder-leaves-Pearce-big-hole.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0hC2O97L6

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/barbarous/

Clint has not been wasting his time off.   He seems to have grown a beard.

Only he and Aaron Hughes have a really dark beard 'in them', don't they?   We have a very fair squad.

WhiteJC

http://timetosoundoff.wordpress.com/2010/03/04/well-done-stephen-kelly/
Well Done Stephen Kelly
March 4, 2010 I watched the Brazil-Ireland game on Tuesday night and other than flinching every time Damien Duff went in for a challenge, I kept a close eye on the much maligned Stephen Kelly.

Kelly has come in for a lot of stick this year, and much of it has been justified. He has struggled in defence consistently, to such an extent that Roy has preferred to play Baird there over the last few games. However, despite his struggles, I have never got irritated with him as I did with Baird when he first played there. I am not sure why, but I guess it is the fact that he never gives up, even when things are not going well. Accusations that he is 'not a premiership player' I feel are wide of the mark and Tuesday nights game went some way to helping me back up my argument.

Ireland's defensive setup was somewhat similar to Fulham's, which should come as no surprise as Hodgson and Trappatoni have similar coaching styles.  This meant that they played a very narrow defence with both fullbacks tucking in. This gave us a chance to watch Kelly's defensive skills against a very good attacking side (even if under Dunga they have been more defensive than previous Brazilian sides). I thought that Kelly effectively neutralised the Brazilian attack down their left hand side, shackling Robinho and making a couple of goal-saving blocks (much like some of his recent ones at Fulham). It was most noticeable in the second half when Brazil attacked almost solely down the right hand side of the pitch, against Kevin Kilbane, with the marauding Maicon and others bombarding that flank. Great credit should go to Kelly for neutralizing this threat.

I think that Kelly's recent Europa League exploits have been good as well. He has been played out of position for two of the most defensively intensive Fulham performances of the season, and perhaps even of all time. Although some may say Shakhtar's goal in Donetsk was his fault as Douglas Costa glided past him on the wing to get the assist, I think this is harsh and not even our usual full backs would have been able to do much about that. Here is to hoping he can build on his recent better form and challenge for the starting spot at Fulham once again.

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/03/04/fulham-v-tottenham-hotspur-82029-25962612/

Fulham v Tottenham Hotspur

Mar 4 2010 By Yann Tear

FULHAM are sweating on the fitness of Paul Konchesky before Saturday's FA Cup home clash with Tottenham.

The West London Whites are hoping the left-back has recovered from his ankle injury, but will again be without long-term crocks Clint Dempsey, John Pantsil and Andrew Johnson (all have knee injuries).

Kagisho Dikgacoi's ankle injury makes him a doubt.

Peter Crouch should be buzzing for Spurs after scoring twice for England in their midweek win over Egypt – assuming he reclaims a starting role alongside Jermain Defoe from Roman Pavlyuchenko, who played against Everton in the last match.

Jonathan Woodgate, Carlo Cudicini, Ledley King and Aaron Lennon are their long term injured.

This will be the third meeting between the teams this season, following a 0-0 draw at Craven Cottage on Boxing Day and a 2-0 win for Spurs at White Hart Lane in January.

The Whites will expect to put up more fight than they did three years ago when they lost a fifth round tie 4-0 at home to Tottenham when Robbie Keane and Dimitar Berbatov scored two each and Vincenzo Montella was sent off for Fulham.

Fulham have won only one of the last nine clashes between the teams.

White Noise

http://blog.partybets.com/201003045283/fa-cup-predictions-fulham-v-tottenham-a-tight-derby-expected/

FA Cup Predictions: Fulham v Tottenham – A Tight Derby Expected

March 4, 2010

Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur cross swords at teatime on Saturday in a London derby with a place in the FA Cup semi-finals at stake- and a chance to play at Wembley. The expectations are that this will be a very tight encounter.

Spurs (2.35) have the more star-studded squad but Fulham (2.90) have been stubborn opposition for anyone under Roy Hodgson and eliminating holders Shakhtar Donetsk from the Europa League last week was another boost for their collective confidence.

Harry Redknapp's Spurs have run into form again after a sticky period of form early in the New Year. Roman Pavlyuchenko has hit form to support the prolific Jermain Defoe and the steady Peter Crouch.

Zamora For England?
But Fulham are always very solid at the back, defending expertly as a team. They are formidable opposition at Craven Cottage and they have their own forwards who can do damage- principally the suddenly brilliant Bobby Zamora who has gone from journeyman to star this season.

Fulham's biggest asset is lack of expectation. Roy Hodgson is a canny coach and because of his Continental schooling, he usually sets his side up to leave little space for the other team. Because Fulham are over-achieving, the home crowd don't expect their team to go forward all the time; Hodgson's tactical expertise and organisation are appreciated.

Spurs come from a tradition of expansive football and it's one that Harry Redknapp is happy to embrace. The away team may well make the running on Saturday and the Cottagers will pay for the counter-attack.

4th Place Priority But Harry Wants Silverware
Tottenham could do without another replay- they had second games against Leeds and Bolton- as they are deeply involved in the battle for fourth place in the Premier League. Their squad is a deep one but too may matches can take a toll.

Since 2000 Fulham have threatened to make a big impact on the FA Cup. Chelsea beat them in the 2002 semi-finals and they were in the last eight in 2004 and 2009.

As so often, the contest could come down to how well Fulham handle Jermain Defoe but Peter Crouch might be the man to unsettle the impressive Aaron Hughes/Brede Hangeland pairing at the heart of the home back four.

If you reckon Crouchy will maintain his goal scoring form from England's game against Egypt then you can bet on him to be the first goalscorer at 7.00 or the odds on him scoring at anytime are available at 2.88.

With Fulham making hay in the Europa League and Spurs pressing hard for fourth place neither side will want a replay so expect a result either way on Saturday.  Spurs have the extra class making it wise to bet on them to progress to the FA Cup semis.

PartyBets.com prediction: Tottenham to win 2-0 at 11.00

White Noise

International Round Up

Thursday 4th March 2010

Fulham FC News

Fulham's players arrived back at Motspur Park Training Ground on Thursday morning ahead of Saturday's FA Cup Quarter Final against Spurs at the Cottage |.

Several members of Roy Hodgson's First Team squad competed in international matches this week, with one bright young talent taking the plaudits back home.

Stefano Okaka was the hero for Italy's U21 team on Wednesday night, scoring in a 2-0 win over Hungary to leave Italy second in Group 3.

Italy U21 coach Pierluigi Casiraghi was delighted with Fulham's on loan striker following the victory in Rieti.

"We're sorted with Okaka and Balotelli up front," said Casiraghi. "They are two excellent players who can really lift up the team. They looked good in training and really impressed me."

Chris Smalling (74 min) had a less successful evening with England's U21 side in Doncaster as Stuart Pearce's team were defeated 2-1 by Greece to leave England's 2011 qualification hopes hanging in the balance.

At senior level the action started on Tuesday evening when Damien Duff (57 min) and Stephen Kelly (90 min) competed for the Republic of Ireland in a 2-0 defeat to Brazil at the Emirates Stadium.

Last night Brede Hangeland (74 min) and Bjorn Helge Riise (62 min) played their part in Norway's 1-0 win over Slovakia whilst Simon Davies' (64 min) Wales side were defeated 1-0 by Sweden in Swansea.

Further afield, Andranik's Iran team defeated Thailand 1-0 in Tehran at the Azadi Stadium. Iran had already qualified for the Asian Cup prior to the match but the result meant that Bryan Robson's Thailand failed to reach the finals.

Meanwhile at U19 level Academy Graduate Matthew Briggs captained England to a 1-1 draw against Holland in Waalwijk on Tuesday night. Briggs was joined by Fulham teammate Wesley Foderingham who played a full 90 minutes in goal for the Young Lions.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/March/InternationalRoundUp.aspx#ixzz0hDEc3Huj

White Noise

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk/football/betting/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=betting/10/03/04/manual_101636.html

BACK FULHAM TO SINK SPURS

By Ben Linfoot

BETTING BOX
FIXED ODDS 
2pts Fulham to beat Spurs at 11/5 (Victor Chandler). Big price for a team with such a good home record.
1pt Frederic Piquionne to score first v Birmingham at 7/1 (Stan James). In-form striker who has broken the deadlock in last two games. 

Fulham v Spurs

I'd be surprised if Fulham have had a more exciting or important run of fixtures than those they will encounter this month.

This FA Cup quarter-final with Spurs is followed by a two-legged Europa League tie with Juventus, while their next two league games are against Manchester United and Manchester City.

It's important, then, to assess their priorities.

With a very respectable 38 points in the league they are already clear of any relegation scrap, but given the form of Man City, Spurs and Aston Villa perhaps a European place is beyond them this year.

They are very much the underdogs in their Europa League clash, indeed, Juventus are 4/11 to go through.

So the home FA Cup quarter-final with London rivals Tottenham simply must be at the top of their list.

And with their home form and Spurs' ever-lengthening injury-list it's quite easy to make a case for them at 11/5.

Fulham are a very tough side to take on at Craven Cottage. They have lost just three out of 14 home league games this campaign with Manchester United and Liverpool two of the teams to have met defeat there.

Spurs drew 0-0 at Fulham on Boxing Day when Harry Redknapp's side managed just one shot on target.

And Fulham remain in good form. They are unbeaten in their last eight games and have won their last five at Craven Cottage. Bobby Zamora, in particular, is in really good nick.

Spurs got a vital win over Everton last week but the Toffees started slowly after their heavy Europa League defeat in Portugal and actually finished the better of the two teams.

The win came at a price, too, as Tom Huddlestone was added to an injury-list that already includes Ledley King, Jonathan Woodgate, Jermaine Jenas, Aaron Lennon and David Bentley.

Tottenham have a deeply-talented squad to deal with such setbacks, but whether they should be 6/4 and Fulham 11/5 is a different matter.

It looks closer on paper to me and with home advantage I'd make Fulham slight favourites, so we'll snap up the 11/ 5 available with Victor Chandler.

Verdict: Fulham 2 Spurs 1

White Noise

http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35718&newstype=y

Derby date for U18s

Frustrated by the weather yet again last weekend, Damian Matthew and Charlton's U18s are ready for a home derby against Fulham on Saturday (11am).

The talented Cottagers have reached the quarter-finals of this season's FA Youth Cup and will host Aston Villa at Craven Cottage on Tuesday evening.

But regardless of the make-up of the side which makes the trip across the capital, Charlton's development coach believes a tough test awaits.

"We were again unfortunate with the weather last Saturday, but, as ever, it gives you the chance to get out on the training pitch," said Damian. "We are all looking forward to the test against Fulham on Saturday."

Charlton were scheduled to travel to Norwich City last weekend only for heavy rain in East Anglia to cause the game to be called off on Friday evening.

It's the latest in a serious of weather-affected postponements for the young Addicks this term, with Charlton going a whopping 54 days without action across the turn of the year.

They have returned to action in 2010 with home draws against Ipswich Town and Chelsea, followed by a 2-0 success against Southampton on February 20th at Sparrows Lane.

Away games at West Ham United and Portsmouth have also fallen foul of the weather, so the fixtures are going to start stacking up for the U18s in the closing three months of the canpaign.

Matthew, who watched second-year scholar midfielder Liam Bellamy in action for Cray Wanderers on Tuesday night, admitted: "It's been unprecedented this season, and we haven't known weather like this for a while.

"We've all had to be patient, even though it's been very frustrating. It interferes with your training and everything, really. You have to be adaptable as players and staff and do the best you can. I'd like to think we've acquitted ourselves very well in that field and are looking to stay very strong from now right until the end of the season."

Matthew will have top scorer Lewis Perkins back in starting contention against the Cottagers following a recent groin niggle.

He netted the Addicks' consolation in a 5-1 defeat in West London on October 10th, while midfield schemer Ben Davisson, scheduled to start against the Canaries before the weather intervened, will be looking to further step up his recovery from an ankle injury.

Damian added: "Even when players are not injured, it's sometimes hard with young players to keep them understanding that there is a long-term picture. So it's even more frustrating for someone like Davvo, who has had a bad injury and not had that opportunity to play. He's an exciting player and an exciting talent, but first and foremost he's a fantastic lad.

"He's getting there slowly but surely and we are looking forward to him playing. Ben's a player who makes things happen, and those people who go and make that difference are the hardest to find in football.

"We're looking forward to seeing Davvo play. He's worked hard for the opportunity and it's a credit to him and also some of the unheralded backroom staff such as physio Erol Umut and our part-time sports-scientist, Gareth Pritchard, for the efforts they have put in."

Moving on to opponents Fulham, who were beaten 3-2 on their last league visit to Sparrows Lane in December 2008 when Ben Godfrey, Sam Long and an own goal gave the Addicks victory, Matthew is looking forward to an encounter against an academy set-up on the up.

He noted: "Fulham are another club which is trying to expand its academy and move forward, so it's always a good benchmark of where we feel we are at. They've done well this year in the youth cup, and may change their team in advance of their match against Villa, but whomever they put out will give us a good test.

"In recent years, Chelsea have swamped Surrey and South-West London and become very strong, so Fulham have a bit of catching up to do in that respect. But they now have that financial muscle to buy young players from other clubs and abroad. That gives you that strength in depth, which has been proven this year in the youth cup."

White Noise

http://www.101greatgoals.com/why-tottenham-versus-fulham-in-the-fa-cup-is-too-close-to-call-125-on-the-draw/49343/

Why Tottenham versus Fulham in the FA Cup is too close to call (12/5 on the draw)

Thursday, March 4th, 2010

Fulham v Tottenham, FA Cup quarter-final, March 6, 2010

Fulham 9/4; Draw 12/5; Tottenham 7/5

One of the most enticing games of the FA Cup weekend sees Spurs travel to Fulham in an all London duel. The winner will fancy their chances of going all the way and Saturday's game looks very hard to call. (Fulham are 12/1 to win the FA Cup, Spurs are 5/1.)

Fulham face a huge week and high profile matches against Tottenham and then Juventus next Thursday are indicative of what a good job Roy Hodgson has done at Craven Cottage. Overcoming Europa League holders Shakhtar Donetsk was surely the surprise of the last round and the Cottagers did not receive nearly enough credit for what was the major scalp of last year's winners of the UEFA Cup. (Fulham are 21/1 to win the Europa League.)

Roy Hodgson's side have faced some relatively easy games in the FA Cup so far this season, ties against Swindon, Acrrington Stanley and Notts County have been negotiated relatively easily. In all competitions the Cottagers have not tasted defeat in eight games and they would be in an even better position in the league but for a blip in the second half of January.

As they have been for much of the campaign, there is a real solidity in the Fulham side at the moment. The spine of the team including Mark Schwarzer in goal, the central defensive paring of Aaron Hughes and Brede Hangeland provide a solid base (Fulham are 14/5 to keep a clean sheet) for the likes of Danny Murphy, Zoltan Gera, Damien Duff and Bobby Zamora to make things happen. (Fulham are 11/4 to score in both halves.)

Murphy, Zamora and Davies will all be eager to impress against their former team and Fulham collectively will be eager to get one over Spurs after drawing at home on Boxing Day and losing at White Hart Lane in January. They arguably dominated the game at the Cottage and failed to show their true quality in the 2-0 defeat at Totttenham.

Harry Redknapp meanwhile has much to chew over, not least who will partner Wilson Palacios in the centre of the Spurs midfield. Tom Huddlestone sustained ankle ligament damage in the win over Everton last Sunday and with Jermaine Jenas out, Redknapp's options are limited as was evidenced by the recall of youngster Jake Livermore from his loan spell at Peterborough earlier this week. (Tottenham are 85/40 to keep a clean sheet.)

Younes Kaboul filled in for Huddlestone in a far from convincing second half display by Spurs against Everton and with the French defender cup tied the clear option for Redknapp could be to move Luka Modric inside and see if the Croatian playmaker can be just as influential from the centre of the park.

The dilemma over who to play in midfield is supplemented by a more positive selection poser up front. Roman Pavlyuchenko is now a certain starter after six goals in his last three appearances and it would be a surprise if Jermain Defoe didn't make the first XI. Two-goal England hero Peter Crouch is though often used for away games and his presence up front could be crucial for Spurs if they do struggle to hold the ball.

Injuries to Aaron Lennon and David Bentley could well have Redknapp trotting out his favourite "down to the bare bones" phrase but Spurs have benefitted this season from players coming in with something to prove. Pavlyuchenko is the obvious recent example and Gareth Bale has also come to the fore in the last couple of months and his displays have had many Tottenham fans wishing he was English. (Spurs are 7/1 to win both halves.)

Another defender to stand up and be counted is Michael Dawson, currently captaining the side. He said in the build-up to this match: "We went to Fulham on Boxing Day and whenever you go there it's always tough, but we went there a few years ago in the FA Cup and had a good win. Hopefully we'll have another good win there at the weekend, but we know it will be a difficult game."

A 4-0 rout that Spurs achieved in February 2007 seems highly unlikely (4/5 to be under 2.5 goals) and if anything Fulham are probably slight favourites with their impressive home form. A replay could well be the most likely outcome.

101gg predicts: Fulham 1 – Tottenham 1 (6/1)

Fulham 9/4; Draw 12/5; Tottenham 7/5

White Noise

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/football/danny-murphy/article/3955/

Spurs my tip for fourth

Thu Mar 04 11:54AM

Grabbing the draw at Shakhtar Donetsk last week that saw us go through to the Europa League last 16 was a fantastic result, and certainly one of the best in Fulham's history.
Now, following that result, we have another big tie against Tottenham in the FA Cup quarter-finals this weekend.

Looking at the Premier League, I feel Tottenham will have enough about them to finish fourth. Liverpool and Manchester City are both pushing them hard now but I will stick with my instinct from earlier in the season and tip Spurs to finish ahead of that chasing pack.

Harry Redknapp is an outstanding manager and, under his leadership, I think he will guide them to that final Champions League spot.

Redknapp's handling of Roman Pavlyuchenko has been a topic of some debate, but it is a difficult one to assess having not been in and around training. When you look at the quality Tottenham have had up front throughout the course of the season in Jermaine Defoe, Peter Crouch, Robbie Keane and Pavlyuchenko, it is naturally a difficult decision to decide on the best pair to partner up front.

Pavlyuchenko has kept his head down, worked hard and is now reaping the rewards - the sign of a good professional.

We know it will be a tough game against Spurs, but we feel confident playing at Craven Cottage that we can beat anyone on our day. They clearly have quality all over the pitch and will prove a stern test for us.

The FA Cup is special for me because it is the one that I dreamt of winning as a child. I have previously said I would, if forced to decide, prioritise it over the Europa League because European football is relatively new in comparison.

All the history and heritage associated with the FA Cup makes it a really special competition in my opinion.

The quarter-final stage is when teams really start to believe they can win it. It is essential we don't become complacent as it's a real opportunity for us to continue the momentum of our excellent season so far.

The opportunity to play a semi-final at Wembley acts as an extra motivator, but in my opinion the national stadium should only be a venue for the final itself. It's a huge incentive to look forward to the opportunity to play in an FA Cup final at Wembley.

I believe there are enough good grounds around the country to accommodate the semi-finals without having to use Wembley at that stage. However, for me personally it may be my last opportunity to play there, so we will certainly be pushing hard.

White Noise

http://www.onlinebookmakers.co.uk/6144/fa-cup-fulham-v-tottenham-sat/

FA Cup: Fulham v Tottenham (Sat)

March 4, 2010

by SJ in Football, Others

Tottenham have injury worries ahead of their FA Cup Quarter Final match this Saturday against Fulham. But can Redknapp rely on his red-hot comrade Roman Pavlychenko to get the goals?

Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur cross swords at teatime on Saturday in a London derby with a place in the FA Cup semi-finals at stake- and a chance to play at Wembley. The expectations are that this will be a very tight encounter.

MONEY BACK SPECIAL:
Fulham v Tottenham

6th March 2010

Spurs (2.35) have the more star-studded squad but Fulham (2.90) have been stubborn opposition for anyone under Roy Hodgson and eliminating holders Shakhtar Donetsk from the Europa League last week was another boost for their collective confidence.

Harry Redknapp's Spurs have run into form again after a sticky period of form early in the New Year. Roman Pavlyuchenko has hit form to support the prolific Jermain Defoe and the steady Peter Crouch.

But Fulham are always very solid at the back, defending expertly as a team. They are formidable opposition at Craven Cottage and they have their own forwards who can do damage- principally the suddenly brilliant Bobby Zamora who has gone from journeyman to star this season.

Fulham's biggest asset is lack of expectation. Roy Hodgson is a canny coach and because of his Continental schooling, he usually sets his side up to leave little space for the other team. Because Fulham are over-achieving, the home crowd don't expect their team to go forward all the time; Hodgson's tactical expertise and organisation are appreciated.

Spurs come from a tradition of expansive football and it's one that Harry Redknapp is happy to embrace. The away team may well make the running on Saturday and the Cottagers will pay for the counter-attack.

Tottenham could do without another replay- they had second games against Leeds and Bolton- as they are deeply involved in the battle for fourth place in the Premier League. Their squad is a deep one but too may matches can take a toll.

Since 2000 Fulham have threatened to make a big impact on the FA Cup. Chelsea beat them in the 2002 semi-finals and they were in the last eight in 2004 and 2009.

As so often, the contest could come down to how well Fulham handle Jermain Defoe but Peter Crouch might be the man to unsettle the impressive Aaron Hughes/Brede Hangeland pairing at the heart of the home back four.

If you reckon Crouchy will maintain his goal scoring form from England's game against Egypt then you can bet on him to be the first goalscorer at 7.00 or the odds on him scoring at anytime are available at 2.88.

With Fulham making hay in the Europa League and Spurs pressing hard for fourth place neither side will want a replay so expect a result either way on Saturday. Spurs have the extra class making it wise to bet on them to progress to the FA Cup semis.

Recommendation
Back Spurs to win @ 6/4 with Paddy Power
Back Pavlychenko to score first @ 8/ with Paddy Power

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6002438,00.html

Kelly eyes Spurs scalp

Defender enjoying life at Craven Cottage

By Peter O'Rourke   Last updated: 4th March 2010   

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly is hoping to end former club Tottenham's FA Cup dreams when they meet this weekend at Craven Cottage.

Kelly spent six seasons at Tottenham before leaving for Birmingham and then moving onto Fulham last summer.

The 26-year-old is relishing the prospect of locking horns with his former employers in Saturday's FA Cup quarter-finals and is optimistic of reaching the last four.

"Tottenham in the FA Cup this weekend is special for me, especially if I can get one over on them," Kelly told skysports.com.

"They are a good side and they are playing a lot of good football at the moment and doing very well in the league at the minute.

"It is going to be difficult, but we have got them at home and our home form has been very good this season so why not that we get through to the next round."

Settled
Kelly is enjoying his time at Fulham with the West London side also going well in the Premier League and Europa League, as well as the FA Cup.

"Things are going well so I can't really complain," added Kelly.

"We are in the next round of the Europa League, the quarter-finals of the FA Cup and our league position is doing well and we are also playing a lot of good football.

"I am just really enjoying my football at this time."