https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (25/08/11)

Started by WhiteJC, August 25, 2011, 06:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Kelly wary of Dnipro threat
But away goal will kill the tie, says Fulham defender

Fulham defender Stephen Kelly expects Dnipro to attack from the off in Thursday's Europa League play-off second-leg clash.

The Cottagers take a lead Ukraine following last week's 3-0 victory, which came courtesy of a Clint Dempsey brace and an Aaron Hughes effort.

Kelly impressed in the first-leg at Craven Cottage and, should he feature again in the Meteor Stadium, is expecting a barrage of attacks from the hosts.

"It's going to be difficult, but if we get a goal over there, then hopefully that would be the tie over," he told the Ealing Gazette.

"I think they gave us a little bit of respect with a man in front of the back four instead of behind a main striker in the first leg and I think we took full advantage of that.

"They've got it all to do in the second leg so we can imagine them going for it.

Different game

"I can't imagine them having a player sitting in front of the back four this time and it will be a totally different game. They have to come at us from the start.

"But I think the way we played in the first leg, they will be wary of us on the counter-attack and that's going to be in the back of their minds."

Despite last week's 3-0 defeat, Dnipro impressed in patches and were unfortunate not to find an elusive away goal.

"They are a very good side," Kelly added. "Hands down the best that we've faced in this year's competition.

"They are a tricky side, similar to Shakhtar (Donetsk). We nullified them early on by getting tight to them and imposed our own game on them and will try to do the same over there."

While Fulham's progress to the Europa League group stages looks all but certain, pressure is mounting on Dnipro manager Juande Ramos for his side to impress.

Scrutiny

The Spaniard, who replaced current Fulham boss Martin Jol as Tottenham manager four years ago, came under close scrutiny from the assembled Ukrainian press after last week's defeat.

Ramos has denied he fears the sack and has vowed to bounce back from last week's disappointment.

"It is clear that after the result in the first match that we are not the favourites," he said today.

"At the same time, I'll tell the players before the game 'you do not need to think that we have to score four goals'.

"We need to go out and score the first goal. If that happens, everything can change internally and you can start playing better.

"Then we must try to score the second goal and then the third. There is no need to convince the players. We must try to score as much as possible during the match."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11681_7122338,00.html?

WhiteJC

Clint Dempsey's training regime
Star and stripes hero Clint Dempsey reveals the secret of his training regime

In the build up to a game what is your approach to training?
I work as hard as I can during the week, and always listen to the manager, whether he is talking about our shape, tactics, going over set-pieces or reviewing tapes of your opponents.

How do you work on your own personal fitness?
We do so much more work on our fitness in July and August, and the early months compared to the climax of the season. You have to be careful not to burn yourself out. It is all about pacing yourself, especially for those of us lucky enough to go on and play in the World Cup finals. You always have to focus on your body, you take ice baths, and make sure you get enough rest as all those games take their toll.

What work do you towards the end of the season?
By the turn of the year and in to the Spring just the work you do in training and the games themselves are enough to keep you fit, and you don't really have to do anything extra. Do the basics and the fitness takes care of itself.

What is the balance between weights and cardiovascular work?
You do a lot of weights, especially at the beginning of the season, it is seen as a means to prevent injury, but as the season progresses you get tired and it is difficult to maintain a weights programme. You can actually lift weights, and make it cardiovascular too, by doing quick reps to get your heart rate up. But overall when you're playing so many games, you just stretch, there is no time to hit the weights hard.

How do you train just enough to be in peak condition for a game?
You need to know your body and how far you can push it, you need to eat right, have ice baths, do your stretches, the little things to give you that edge. I know there have definitely been times when I've not been able to give my best in games because I trained too hard in the week, and took too much out of myself.

http://performance.fourfourtwo.com/fitness/clint-dempseys-training-regime

WhiteJC

Borriello 'rejects' Fulham move
by DAN on AUGUST 24, 2011

Reports from Italy suggest that Mario Borriello has rejected the chance to move to Fulham.

Sky Italia reported yesterday that Fulham had made an official bid for the Roma striker, but Borriello is keen to stay and fight for his place at the Giallorossi. Inter are now preparing to make an offer for the 29 year-old.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/borriello-rejects-fulham-move/?

WhiteJC

Defensive Dynamo is Jol's target as Fulham make move for Boro old boy Wilkshire

Fulham, who carry on their European campaign on Thursday, have made enquiries about Dynamo Moscow defender Luke Wilkshire.

The 29-year-old Australian, an international team-mate of Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer, spent six years with Middlesbrough and Bristol City before joining Dutch side FC Twente in 2006.

Manager Martin Jol wants as many as six new players, but the club will prioritise a striker and right back.

Doubts persist over Bobby Zamora's ability to play more than half Fulham's games this season and Jol has already failed with a £3million bid for Birmingham City striker Cameron Jerome this summer.

Zamora, who fractured his left hand last month, has not travelled to the Ukraine for the return leg of Fulham's Europa League play-off against Dnipro after missing Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Wolves with an ankle injury.

The line-up
FULHAM (probable) 4-4-1-1:
Schwarzer; Hughes, Senderos, Hangeland, JA Riise; Duff, Murphy, ,Sidwell, Dempsey; Dembele; Johnson.
Referee: Tom Harald Hagen (Nor).

But Jol has otherwise selected a full squad as Fulham seek to protect their 3-0 first-leg lead and progress to the group stage.

Jol said: 'Bobby's not available so we have to find a solution for that position, but last week (in the first leg against Juande Ramos's side) Clint Dempsey scored two goals and it's not all about Bobby. Of course he's a good target man but we have to come up with another solution up front.

'Moussa Dembele came on against Wolves last weekend and did well so hopefully he can have a big say in the game.'

Fit for purpose? Bobby Zamora (left) has been dogged by injury problems

Top of Fulham's wanted list is Freiburg's Papiss Demba Cisse, 26, who scored 22 goals in the Bundesliga last season, but they face stiff opposition from Bayern Munich and Wolfsburg.

At the back, centre half Aaron Hughes has been filling in on the right and Chris Baird has fallen out of favour, with West Bromwich and Wolves interested in the former Southampton defender.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2029758/Fulham-ex-Middlesbrough-defender-Luke-Wilkshire.html#ixzz1W187NOMq

WhiteJC

Steve is keen to double up on El Hamdaoui and Ibisevic after Emerton quits

Blackburn are closing on deals for Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui and Hoffenheim's Vedad Ibisevic.

Manager Steve Kean held talks with El Hamdaoui, 27, on Tuesday while a £5m deal has been agreed with Hoffenheim for Ibesivic, also 27.

The moves come as Blackburn midfielder Brett Emerton made the surprise decision to return to Australia and join Sydney FC.

Emerton, 32, has signed a three-year deal after passing a medical in Manchester. He had one year left on his contract and that has been terminated by mutual consent.

El Hamdaoui was wanted by West Ham and Fulham while Ibisevic has scored 43 goals in 113 league games for Hoffenheim but is recovering from a thigh injury.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2029802/Blackburn-want-Mounir-El-Hamdaoui-Vadad-Ibisevic-Brett-Emerton-quits.html#ixzz1W18ippl7

WhiteJC

Fulham have entered the race to sign Freiburg striker Papiss Demba Cisse.

Sunderland are also interested but are unable to put down the £12million that Freiburg want.

The Germans have revealed there are three offers on the table for the 26-year-old Senegalese.

Cisse, whose contract runs until 2014, said: 'I want to leave. I hope that this happens before August 31. Yes, I still have a contract, but I really want to prove myself at a different level.'

Blackburn have also shown interest but only offered £6.5m.

Last season Cisse scored 22 goals in 32 games and has scored 32 goals in 51 matches since moving to Germany in 2009 from French club Metz.

Fulham striker Lauri Dalla Valle, 19, has joined Dundee United on loan until January, with an option to stay until the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2029797/Fulham-join-12m-chase-Freiburg-striker-Papiss-Cisse.html#ixzz1W190vWqE

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2029797/Fulham-join-12m-chase-Freiburg-striker-Papiss-Cisse.html#ixzz1W18wHBst

WhiteJC

ROMA STAR HEADED TOWARDS FULHAM, BARCELONA SET TO RAID SERIE A AGAIN AND INTER RUSH TO TIE-UP ETO'O REPLACEMENT

In today's gossip column, Fulham are targeting Roma forward, Barcelona set to raid Serie A once more and Manchester City look to the Eternal City.

Jol steps up to the Marc-o
Source: Daily Star
Fulham plan to solve their striker crisis with a cut-price £3m move for Roma striker Marco Borriello. Cottagers boss Martin Jol needs cover up front for Bobby Zamora, who is playing with a broken hand. Borriello, 29, has hit more than 50 goals in the last four seasons during spells with Genoa, AC Milan and Roma.

Juve close in on Estigarribia
Source: Tuttosport
Juventus are looking to increase their attacking options ahead of the new Serie A season with the signing of Paraguayan International Marcelo Estigarribia. Estigarribia currently plays for French outfit Le Mans but rumour has it they would be willing to let him leave for a 'reasonable' fee.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2011/08/roma-star-headed-towards-fulham-barcelona-set-to-raid-serie-a-again-and-inter-rush-to-tie-up-etoo-replacement/?

WhiteJC

JOL WANTS FULHAM TO ATTACK

Fulham manager Martin Jol has urged the Cottagers to strike the first blow in tonight's Europa League play-off against Dnipro.

The west Londoners travelled to Ukraine for the second-leg clash on the back of last week's 3-0 victory, which came courtesy of a Clint Dempsey brace and an Aaron Hughes effort.

Despite their three-goal advantage, Dnipro impressed in patches and were unfortunate not to find an elusive away goal.

After the match, manager Juande Ramos claimed the result was unjust and Jol wants Fulham to quieten his counterpart with an early goal.

"They're a good team with a very good home record," he said. "Away from home it's different for them.

"They will probably do everything they can to score an early goal.

"For us it's very important to score on Thursday night.

"When we've got the ball our intention will be to score.

"It's important to be strong defensively and if you drop off like we did in the last 15 to 20 minutes of the first leg then you could end up with a problem, because they are very good at finding the spare man on the edge of the box or creating an overlap."

Fulham have taken a strong squad to Ukraine but will be without striker Bobby Zamora.

The England international missed the weekend's 2-0 defeat at Wolves with an ankle injury and will be sidelined once again.

"Bobby's not available so we have to find a solution for that position," said Jol.

"Of course last week Clint scored two goals and it's not all about Bobby.

"Of course he's a good target man but we have to come up with another solution up front.

"Moussa Dembele came on against Wolves last weekend and did well so hopefully he can have a big say in the game."

While Fulham's progress to the Europa League group stages looks all but certain, pressure is mounting on Dnipro boss Ramos.

The Spaniard - who controversially replaced current Fulham boss Jol as Tottenham manager four years ago - has denied he fears the sack and has vowed to bounce back from last week's disappointment.

"It is clear that after the result in the first match that we are not the favourites," he said.

"At the same time, I'll tell the players before the game, 'You do not need to think that we have to score four goals'.

"We need to go out and score the first goal. If that happens, everything can change internally and you can start playing better.

"Then we must try to score the second goal and then the third.

"There is no need to convince the players.

"We must try to score as much as possible during the match."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/08/25/SOCCER_Fulham_Jol.html&TEAMHD=soccer&BID=165

WhiteJC

On loan

Lauri Dalla Valle has been sent to Dundee United on loan.  This might not mean much to you, but it's a nice reminder of days gone by for me.

(First things first, Dundee United play in orange-black-orange. If I started a team from scratch my team would wear these colours. I haven't thought about this seriously for about 25 years, but this was always my position on the matter: any football club I found would wear orange-black-orange. I see no reason to change this stance now, except to stipulate that all players should wear black boots (I wouldn't have needed this rule in 1985, of course, but we must move with the times).)

Back to business: Dundee United nearly won the UEFA Cup in 1987, back when this was a very worthy trophy (the European Cup was for champions; the Cup Winners Cup was for cup winners, the UEFA dragged in the rest). The team's route to the final is a who's who of exciting (and of course unknowable back then) names:

RC Lens (a lot of French teams had the exciting RC prefix. Lens as well! Very evocative)
Universitatea Craiova (a team of Eastern European scholars)
Hadjuk Split (as crack as crack Eastern European outfits go)
Barcelona (ooooh!)
Borussia Moenchengladbach (the daddy of European teams, frequently pitted against English sides in big games, their untouchable surname made them even more intimidating)
IFK Gothenburg (this works wonderfully well, too)

(PS how to learn where places are in Europe: become an obsessive football fan at a young age, preferably pre-Champions League when you had different teams every season).

The good things from this tournament were the Barcelona wins (Kevin Gallacher scored from the right wing with a cross that kept on going and lodged in the far top corner) and (I've just read) the debut of one Billy McKinlay, which is perhaps the link for Dalla Valle.  Also in the final Gothenburg scored a goal that I was convinced had crept in through the side netting.

Dundee-IFK 0-1 (1987)

But maybe not. Odd.

So yes, hurray, nice move for Lauri.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Kelly's Target

Stephen Kelly is hoping for another chance to impress in the Ukraine on Thursday night following his strong performance at right back against FC Dnipro last week.

The Republic of Ireland international defender believes the second leg of Fulham's UEFA Europa League Play-Off will be a very different proposition from last week's match at the Cottage where Fulham gained a three-nil aggregate lead.   

"It was a very solid performance last week and it was nice to get three goals as well," Kelly told fulhamfc.com. "We wanted to do that and it was a positive start to the Play-Off.

"We're in great stead for Thursday's game. They're hands down the best side we've faced so far and we knew it was going to be a tricky tie last week.

"We were told it wouldn't be too dissimilar to Shakhtar Donetsk. They weren't as good as Shakhtar but I think we nullified them quite early on last week and we imposed our own game on them.

"We caught them on the break a couple of times and I thought we could have added to our tally with the opportunities that came our way. We were able to get the ball down, play our game and overall it was a really positive performance.

"They've [Dnipro] got it all to do in the second leg so I imagine they will just go for it. I can't imagine they'll have a player sitting in front of the back four like they did last week at the Cottage.

"It will be a totally different game because they will come out from the start but they'll be wary of us on the counter attack. If we can get an away goal it will effectively mean the tie will be over.

"It's going to be difficult because they're a good side but I thought we dominated them last week and we'll be looking to deliver the same professional performance on Thursday."

Kelly is hoping for further game time in the Ukraine to impress manager Martin Jol as he looks to build on his first two seasons at the Club by making the right back position his own.

"The Manager has given everyone a chance and hopefully after my performance last week I've given him a selection headache," said Kelly.

"I'm an out-an-out right back and I play there for my country a lot. I've captained my country from there and that's where I've played most of my football. Hopefully I can continue on and grow in confidence and stake a claim for the position at Fulham.

"I've played left back and centre back but right back is my position. Last season started off great. I played the first 11 or 12 games before I got injured and then I found myself on the bench every week which is frustrating, but that's football.

"Sometimes you get knocks at the wrong time and I got injured against Tottenham and then Chris [Baird] came in and did well and stayed there for the rest of the season.

"That can happen in football. The season before I was mainly involved in Europe and I got to play in some fantastic games, like the match against Juventus and Shakhtar Donetsk. I played in every game up until the Final which was great for me.

"It was frustrating for me last season but it's a new campaign and we have a new manager and everybody is out to show what they can do. I think I proved that I can do well against a very good side last week."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/KellyEuropaPreview.aspx?#ixzz1W2U9iPgj

WhiteJC

Clubs bid for Cisse
Foreign trio move for Freiburg marksman

Freiburg chairman Fritz Keller has confirmed three foreign clubs have tabled bids for in-demand striker Papiss Demba Cisse.

The Senegal international has been linked with the likes of Blackburn, Sunderland and Fulham, who all play in the Premier League.

Freiburg are believed to want in the region of £13.5million for the 26-year-old who is under contract until June 2014.

Cisse has also bagged four goals in just three appearances for Freiburg this season while he has 32 in 18 months with the Bundesliga side.

Keller insists the club are going to study the offers carefully, stating they are not necessarily going to sell simply because offers are in.

Offers

"We have received three concrete offers for the services of Papiss Demba Cisse," Keller told Deutsche Presseagentur.

"All three are from clubs in foreign leagues.

"We are going to consider these offers calmly, but this doesn't necessarily mean we are definitely going to sell him."

Cisse's agent Guido Nickolay told BILD: "I'm actually on a journey abroad. In this case I am looking into everything and I hope that in the end every party involved is satisfied."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,16414_7123354,00.html?

WhiteJC

FFC at a crossroads?
Despite the fact that the new season is very much at an embryonic stage, concerns about the direction Fulham FC are moving in are starting to arise amongst supporters. In fact, were you to log on to a messageboard on Sunday evening after the abject performance and defeat by Wolverhampton Wanderers and you would think the team had just lost a end-of-season relegation decider, that our fate was sealed and the doomsday scenario of relegation lay before us.

Whilst this is perhaps indicative of the highly exaggerated and over-emotional reactions found on almost any football forum, the fact is there is certainly some grounding in the worries of some supporters. It is not so much down to the team's on-pitch performances; although it is true that we have hardly been impressive in any of our matches so far, most fans understand that Martin Jol will need time to familiarise himself with the squad and work out its strengths and weaknesses, and vice versa the players need to acclimatise themselves with the way he wants his team to play. Indeed, our previous two managers both had difficult starts, and very few would convincingly argue that either was anything but a success.

So whilst Jol's somewhat baffling decisions to play Aaron Hughes at right back and to start the increasingly laboured-looking Dickson Etuhu over the Steve Sidwell can be tolerated with a small dose of the benefit of the doubt, what is abundantly obvious is that the squad needs investment. Most notable are the limitations of Jol's frontline options; Zamora seems to really be struggling with fitness, Johnson is hard-working and useful when playing off a partner but is totally ineffective on his own, and Moussa Dembele, whilst listed on the squad page as a striker, isn't really one at all. Despite being linked with a whole host of centre forwards over the past few weeks (Jerome, Cole, Ruiz, Cisse, Borriello), nothing has materialised and time is beginning to run out. It would be crazy to go into the season with our current striking options, particularly considering the rigours the Europa League will likely place on the squad. Whilst Dempsey managed to step up and fill the goalscoring void left by Zamora's absence last season, it is risky to expect him to do it again. Quite simply, at least one striker is needed before the window closes in a week's time.

The frustration inspired by the squad's perceived thinness is heightened by the club's apparently frugal spending policy. Reports of 'half-bids', from FC Twente referring to an offer for winger Nacer Chadli, are likely to provoke much eye-rolling and sighing from supporters who, since being bank-rolled to the Premier League by Al-Fayed's millions, have been forced to accept that the expenditure has had to be reined in. There is no arguing with the logic; after all, the club has a noose of £150-200m debt around its neck, a fact that most seem to deal with by simply ignoring it and assuming it will all work out ok, but one day the club will have to move onwards without Al-Fayed's financial backing propping it up. Attempts to make the club self-sufficient will no doubt be applauded by supporters, but nevertheless the club cannot afford to be negligent in terms of player recruitment. From the outside, it seems that there must be more money available; the club haven't really granted significant spending on players since Hodgson's first summer in charge in 2008 (when Andy Johnson was signed for circa £8m), around £10m was received for Chris Smalling from Man United in 2010, plus there's the money earned from getting to the Europa League final. Added to the usual incomes budgeted for, such as Sky money and gate receipts, and fans' frustrations at the unwillingness to pay the necessary transfer fees to attract quality players become more understandable. Mark Hughes walked out on the club because he didn't feel they would sufficiently back him in the transfer market, and the lack of significant arrivals have perhaps vindicated his decision somewhat.

It certainly feels that Fulham are currently standing at a crossroads. Three years of almost unprecedented success under the guidance of Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes have left the club in a healthier position than ever – comfortably established in the Premier League, recognised throughout Europe for the incredible Europa League run, a highly-reputed manager and, of course, European football. All this has been done on a relatively meagre investment, but the consequences are starting to come home to roost; key players are all getting old together and, whilst Jol has begun the process of bringing in young players to eventually replace the old guard, the process is unlikely to be easy or cheap. The club can either invest more to consolidate and further build upon the strong position in which we find ourselves, or continue with their prudency and jeopardise the good work that has been done so far. The distinct impression gained is that the next seven days will be very revealing as to the extent of the club's ambitions.

http://bytheriverffc.blogspot.com/2011/08/ffc-at-crossroads.html?

WhiteJC

The Italian Job

Staff from the Fulham Football Club Foundation (FFCF) spent the last week of July working on a pioneering project, delivering sports sessions to a group of young children in the town of Montegabbione, Umbria, in Italy.

A team of six FFCF coaches ran the week-long holiday course, aimed at getting more young people participating in and enjoying football. The event saw 60 children from the area take part in the course and was run in conjunction with the Mayor of Montegabbione, the Valdichiani Association Calcista (Local FA) and the local community.

The standard of play from the young people was extremely high and even the language barrier did not hinder the progression and development of the players. Two sessions were held each day, with the children taking part in matches and fun and competitive games.

Steven Day, Chief Executive Officer of the Fulham Football Club Foundation said:

"This pioneering project, the first of its kind for our charity, has been a fantastic experience for everyone. Whenever we set up a new holiday course in England, our target is to get 30-40 children involved, so it's astounding that the team has delivered to 60 young people when in Italy."

"The visit has also been a great way for our coaches to develop their own styles and methods in teaching and communicating with young people. We hope that the structured learning environment we delivered will help assist the players in their future social and sporting environments.

The reception and hospitality from all of those who assisted us in running the course was overwhelming and I cannot thank the Mayor and the community in Montegabbione enough."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/FoundationItalianTrip.aspx?#ixzz1W2WKZYXL

WhiteJC

Blackburn Rovers rival Fulham for want-away Freiburg striker Cisse

According to reports Blackburn Rovers are chasing Freiburg forward Papiss Demba Cisse.

The striker wants to leave the German club and Rovers boss Steve Kean is looking to offer him a home at Ewood Park.

However, it is understood that Cisse is interesting several Premier League clubs including Fulham.

"I want to leave," he told local SWR radio. "I hope that this happens before August 31.

"Yes, I still have a contract, but I really want to prove myself at a different level."

http://www.clicklancashire.com/sport/blackburn-rovers-fc/1210320-blackburn-rovers-rival-fulham-for-want-away-freiburg-striker-cisse.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham May Break the Bank to Snare £12m Senegal Striker

Fulham are allegedly weighing up a sensational move to bring Senegal international Papiss Cissé to Craven Cottage before the transfer window closes next week.

The striker, currently employed by SC Freiburg, has been in prolific form of late, scoring 22 goals last season in 32 Bundesliga matches.

He has also hit the ground running this year, opening the new campaign strongly by netting four times in the first three fixtures Freiburg have played.

According to report in the Daily Mail this morning, Cissé was also wanted by Sunderland, but the Black Cats were unable to stump up the £12 million that Freiburg are demanding for their prize asset.

However, Fulham are determined to snare another striker to ease the burden on England international Bobby Zamora, who has led their frontline with distinction.

Manager Martin Jol will be hoping Cissé's stance on an exit from Germany has changed drastically since last December, when he seemed rather reluctant.

"I know a lot is said about my future. There are a whole lot of rumours and, of course, any professional who wants to play for a big club."

"I am not aware of anything, though. I am under contract with Freiburg until June 2014. I do not have more to say on this, except that I feel great at this club."

Having scored seven times in his nine international appearances, as well as his obvious success in the Bundesliga, Cissé appears primed to make an big impact in the Premiership.

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/fulham-may-break-the-bank-to-snare-12m-senegal-striker-10280/?

WhiteJC

Fulham underdogs in Dnipro match but still look good to go through
At 1/100, Fulham are near-certainties to go through but this doesn't mean they will win their second-leg against Dnipro.

Fulham travel to the Ukraine defending a 3-0 first leg lead in their Uefa Europa League play-off tie against Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

However, Dnipro are 13/10 favourite to win tonight's encounter, with those betting against the form book able to get odds of 7/4 on Fulham to return to London with a victory. A draw with any scoreline is priced at 11/5.

A shaky away record could make it a tricky night for Martin Jol's men, although they are still well-placed to progress to the group stages.

Fulham's European exploits in their previous Europa League campaign saw them make the inaugural final.

But just like in the Premier League, this was built upon a sound home record rather than their pedigree away from home.

Their last visit to the Ukraine saw them eke out a fortuitous 1-1 draw with then-holders Shakhtar Donetsk, with repeat of the same scoreline this time round priced at 23/4.

However, we are likely to see more than two goals as scoring would all but see the Cottagers through to the next round and, with nothing to lose, Juande Ramos' men will look to attack and break a winless streak extending four games.

We can therefore expect to see an open game with goals, and with this in mind punters could take advantage of a 3-1 win for the Ukrainian side at odds of 17-1 or a 2-1 score line in favour of Dnipro at odds of 35/4.

Last time out in the Ukraine Fulham took the lead early on through Brede Hangeland, defending for their lives in the rest of the match.

As we saw in the last 20 minutes of the first leg, Dnipro are a good attacking threat.

An interesting bet for those wishing to take advantage of their free £25 bet for new customers is for Fulham to lead in the first half and lose the tie in the second. At odds of 25-1 this would net a huge £650.

New customers can register here to claim a free £25 bet or click here to see all our Europa League qualifier odds.

http://bwinbetting.com/fulham-underdogs-dnipro-match-good,6153.html?

WhiteJC

Jol on the offensive
Fulham – Martin Jol wants side to come out attacking

Martin Jol has urged his Fulham squad to come out all-guns-blazing in tonight's Europa League play-off with Dnpro.

The Cottagers are currently 3-0 up on aggregate, and have flown to the Ukraine for the second leg against the European side.

And while Fulham are in prime position to defend their way to an aggregate win, Jol believes that Dnpro will be attacking hard and his need to do the same.

"They're a good team with a very good home record," he said. "Away from home it's different for them.

"They will probably do everything they can to score an early goal. For us it's very important to score on Thursday night."

Jol insisted that an attacking style of play would be used in the clash tonight, with Fulham taking no chances on winding down the clock and holding possession.

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/jol-on-the-offensive?

WhiteJC

EXCLUSIVE: Blackburn hunt Ajax star (with video)

Blackburn are trying to snap up Ajax striker Mounir El Hamdaoui - and give him a second crack at English football.

Rovers manager Steve Kean flew to Holland to work on a £2.5million deal for the former Tottenham forward, before returning for the Carling Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday.

Morocco international El Hamdaoui, 27, flopped on his previous stint in England in 2005-2006 but has been a big hit in Dutch football, being voted Player of the Year after finishing as top goal-scorer in 2009.

Rovers are in need of more bodies up front with El Hadji Diouf available for a move and Brett Emerton a shock target for a return to his native Australia with Sydney FC.

Meanwhile, Kean is closing in on Hoffenheim's Bosnia striker Vedad Ibisevic, whose agent was in Lancashire on Wednesday to finalise terms.

Check out El Hamdaoui in action here (particularly No.2):

Top 10: Mounir El Hamdaoui

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/transfer-news/Blackburn-target-Ajax-striker-Mounir-El-Hamdaoui-Steve-Kean-flies-Holland-work-on-2-5m-deal-article789833.html#ixzz1W2aCCJPv

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol turns attention to Juventus striker

Fulham manager Martin Jol is set to make a move for Juventus striker Amauri, as he looks to improve his side's options up front.

Jol is desperate to add another striker before the transfer window closes next week but has so far been frustrated in his attempts to find the right man.

But the Fulham manager has been boosted by news that Amauri may be available from Juventus. The club's manager Antonio Conte has not guaranteed Amauri a regular starting place in his side and that has alerted Jol, who is keen to strike a deal.

Amauri, a Brazilian-born Italian international, would bring a wealth of experience to Jol's attack and the Dutchman is ready to make a bid for the 31-year-old, who seems to have been frozen out at Juventus.

He spent last season on loan at Parma but the club have decided against making the move permanent - leaving Jol free to step in to try and seal a deal.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/1017/43/fulham-boss-jol-turns-attention-juventus-striker

WhiteJC

Cottagers without Zamora in Ukraine

Fulham will have to do without Bobby Zamora against Dnipro as they try to make it through to the Europa League group stage.
The striker has an ankle injury and also missed Sunday's match at Wolves.

However, Martin Jol's men are strong favourites to progress in the competition following last week's 3-0 first-leg victory at Craven Cottage.

"Bobby's not available so we have to find a solution for that position," Jol told the club's official website.

"Of course last week [in the first leg] Clint scored two goals and it's not all about Bobby. Of course he's a good target man but we have to come up with another solution up front.

"Mousa Dembele came on against Wolves last weekend and did well so hopefully he can have a big say in the game."

Midfielder Simon Davies is also set to miss out tonight having not fully recovered from a knee injury and Bjorn Helge Risse will also be absent with a hamstring problem.

Despite holding a three goal lead Jol isn't expecting his side to have an easy time in the Dnipro Arena.

"They're a good team with a very good home record," explained Jol.

"Away from home it's different for them. They will probably do everything they can to score an early goal. For us it's very important to score.

"When we've got the ball our intention will be to score. It's important to be strong defensively and if you drop off like we did in the last 15 to 20 minutes of the first leg then you could end up with a problem, because they are very good at finding the spare man on the edge of the box or creating an overlap."

Fulham squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Kelly, JA Riise, Hangeland, Baird, Senderos, Hughes, Halliche, Sidwell, Kasami, Murphy, Gecov, Duff, Etuhu, Dempsey, Johnson, Dembele.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/cottagers-without-zamora-in-ukraine-1269816.html?#.TlZ0lHPHo98