watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jol's positives????

Started by DUKE, August 26, 2011, 12:01:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUKE

This is something that is bothering for a while now.having watched all the games since the start of the season i have  tried to understand what has Jol brought to our team and style of play that we could say : ah OK that's new i like it ...or...... oh well at least we are good at this now....u guys get my point. when Roy first came in with the addition of Brede he made us stronger at the back and it was obvious straight away. Hughes made us more attacking minded and this was seen as well.With Jol i am struggling to see any positives.Maybe its too early or maybe he has nothing to bring in. Time will tell! :drums:

JBH

It is just too early to say, Roys first 6-7 games in the Premiership were also disjointed and the results poor and getting the same reaction as Jol is now and this can also be said for the start under Mark Hughes.

Give it time and see waht develops  :54: COYW

MJG

I think we saw a glimmer of what he wants us to do in the way we played first half last week in the first leg. The ball being passed quickly through the team and midfield and the wide men(mainly the left side) getting forward.
The trouble is thats pretty much as good as it has got in the last 4 games. Yes yesterday was a good back to wall result, but we also got those in europe before, but what I don't recall is how disorganised we look and how much last ditch type defending we were doing. But then thats Roy's way of setting a team up and as we keep being told that was deadly boring.

Holders

I understand what you mean but we have to give the guy time.

I thought we were better second half yesterday (once I got the stream). I'd like to see some snappier passing, mostly Dnipro moved it much quicker than we did when they got the ball. Kasami looks good, though he missed a sitter.

Baird played with all heart but got caught out a couple of times which is perhaps why Jol wants to bolster that position. It's no use all our attacks coming from the left.

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

I always thought Roy away was dull. But we were organised. So far it is early days but no such organisation seems to exist. Could be players off form like Brede. Or something more SINISTER?

Given that we have only Tuesday and Wednesday left in the transfer period. Bank Holiday and Weekends count but we may hear nothing. Times are sure frustrating if nothing else.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BalDrick

Still way too early to write him off - if anything it's a mark of Hughes' ability that he appeared - in hindsight anyway - to have changed things relatively quickly. We all know what needs to improve in our style and that's faster movement of the ball, but equally we all know our average age isn't going anywhere but up, meaning we're highly unlikely to ever start moving the ball faster.

I have a feeling - borne of I don't know what - that there may be an issue between the chairman and the manager with regard to funds to improve the squad. Despite the fact people are cutting costs left, right and centre in the real world, in football inflation's marching on unchecked - the Citeh factor you could call it. To move our team forwards is, I believe, going to require spending an 8-figure sum on players, particularly a striker, but I have a feeling Mo ain't buying that line of thought. (Incidentally I have thought for some time that this was the reason Hughes walked - fair dos to him for not bleating to the media about it.) There's a week or so until the window closes, sorry slams; we'll be wiser by then. Should no funds be forthcoming, we may be in for a hard season, but not one that realistically involves the R word.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

DUKE

Newcastle on Sunday will give us the first indication on how our season will shape up.A lot of us are saying that we should give Jol more time and i agree but we are 11 games on the season and we are still not happy with the way we playing.Don't get me wrong we are still doing ok  considering that our squad is paper thin atm. It just something is not clicking with our players and the manager. Is like they dont agree with him. Also as Baldrick stated above it might be the case of funding but then i am sure that MJ was promised a sizable budget when he first signed and i don't think the board will turn him down on that. Considering the most of the teams around us have spent some decent money i.e Stoke,Sunderland etc.

FulhamMic

Three whole league games to make a judgement on our forthcoming season, surely you're being far too generous? (please sense the tone)

In the Europa we've done just enough in each game to see us through to the next round and it's worked admirably. For the first few games we were missing key players such as Dempsey & Dembele, instead using the likes of Frei, Briggs & Dalla Valle.

At Wolves Bobby didn't make the cut and both Dempsey and Murphy were carrying knocks so we were bound to be off the pace.

It's far, far, far too early to form an opinion and base it on the games played so far.

DUKE

Quote from: FulhamMic on August 26, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Three whole league to make a judgement on our whole season, surely you're being far too generous? (please sense the tone)

In the Europa we've done just enough in each game to see us into the next round and it's worked admirably. For the first few games we were missing key players such as Dempsey & Dembele, instead using the likes of Frei, Briggs & Dalla Valle.

At Wolves Bobby didn't make the team and both Dempsey and Murphy were carrying knocks so we were bound to be off the pace.

It's far, far, far too early to form an opinion and base it on the games played so far.

I guess you are right but i still don't like the way  we are playing even if we r missing some key players we seem to have switch the way we defend. also we seem to play the long ball  more often than we used to. These are some key elements on our style of play which in my opinion is becoming a point of judgement from a lot of our fans.

FulhamMic

Quote from: DUKE on August 26, 2011, 02:07:23 PM
also we seem to play the long ball more often than we used to

I believe this is actually part of the 'Mark Hughes Hangover' as Jol has already stated he's looking to address it (so it's not something he's brought in) and we should definitely have other options and outlets.

HatterDon

Quote from: JBH on August 26, 2011, 08:10:48 AM
It is just too early to say, Roys first 6-7 games in the Premiership were also disjointed and the results poor and getting the same reaction as Jol is now and this can also be said for the start under Mark Hughes.

Give it time and see waht develops  :54: COYW

Roy's first 6-7 games in the Prem were in the middle of the season -- most of them before the January window closed. He inherited a sullen, dispirited, and beaten-down squad. Jol inherited a club that finished 8th, and that was one of the in-form sides for the last three months of the season. He also had an entire summer, exhibition matches, and Europa League competitions to instill his style and methodology.

It's not really the same thing, is it?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FulhamMic

Jol's not had the luxury of a proper pre-season to work on his style. Instead the team had to come back earlier than usual and have had to prepare for one or two competitive games each week every week.

That leaves absolutely no time to work on anything else, including style and more importantly fitness.

We've also not played any friendlies in the traditional sense, the two we have played were not full strength teams by any means and were presided over by McKinlay not Jol.