News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu


Greatest Living American Actors

Started by RidgeRider, March 04, 2010, 07:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RidgeRider

Based on a challenge by WhiteNoise, this is a new competing thread to those dime store actors our hosts have posted on another thread. Daniel Day Lewis couldn't carry the dirty jockstraps  ;)of:

Robert DiNero
Al Pacino
Edward Norton
William Hurt
Sean Penn
Don Cheadle
Tom Hanks
Gene Hackman
Johnny Depp
Dustin Hoffman
Jack Nicholson
Robert Duvall

Others?

finnster01

Jeff Bridges.

How could you miss out "the Dude" when you live in California mate?

The Great Lebowski is one of my favorite movies.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

Martin Sheen,Toby Maguire,Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope


Jimpav


SoCalJoe

Denzel Washington, Ed Harris, Robert Downey Jr, Terrence Howard
You can observe a lot by just watching.

White Noise



HatterDon

You've left off our two best film actors:

Chris Cooper
Meryl Streep

I'd also say that there are several out there better than RR's original list, including -- believe it or not -- Leonardo Di Caprio.

Pacino is a caricature of himself these days.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Let's end this thread right here by all agreeing that Dinero is the greatest actor in the World and of all time. But you could argue that Dustin Hoffman runs a close second. And no Joe Peschi mentions???

mofulham

#8
Jeez what is wrong with you lot.

Pacino is s***e.  plays same role over and over.  Just like Redford thank god no one mentioned him.

Whoever mentioned Dustin Hoffman, the same.  That midnight cowboy gay character in his earlier days was exact same performance as his autistic Rainman character - utter crap.  He played them both like a ****** which is an insult to all good gay and autistic men.

Dinero gets is lame.  So he gained and lost weight for a fighters role.  Little Renee zelwhatever did that twice and all she gets is criticism.

Jack Nicholson sucks and is full of himself.  Whatever role he plays, he plays at is if he is Jack  Nicholson.

William Hurt, where the hell did that come from?  Are you kidding me?  why?

Tom Hanks,  very good guy but very average when it comes to acting.  I give him high marks as a famous person that has true integrity.  

Sean Penn is good but he's so limited probably due to his attitude where has he been lately.  Too full of his righteousness probably.

I'll give you Don Cheadle.  Johnny depp is good if you need someone who can only play a wierdo.

Only one I agree with is Gene Hackman,  He can be a villian, a hero, and an in-between.

You missed Kevin Bacan.  He can be a leadinng or supporting at anything, at any age, and at any genre.

Hands down the English are better when it comes to acting and film.  Some of England's brightest go into this profession and some of the USA's dimmest (thank you Mary mother of God) go into this profession.  Enjoy your day everyone

Like someone else said Morgan Freeman is good and Leoardo Dicaprio, but most US actors are lame.  especially the Bridges dude and Tom Cruise.  Tom Cruise SSSSUUUUCCCKKKs  so baddly


TheDaddy

Robin Williams

Verne Troyer  Now Mofulham this boy will never be type casted  ;D
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

BobbyTheBrain

Bill Murray for me (I'm an 80s comedy film buff).


It's not fair to flair.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 04, 2010, 07:57:00 PM
Martin Sheen,Toby Maguire,Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt

OK Mr Lighthouse, I'll take the bait. 4 of these gents are very good actors - and the other one is Tom Cruise.
Peculiar individual and a very limited actor IMHO. I actually avoid watching anything that he features in.
Tommy Lee Jones, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken - even John Travolta would be well ahead of Mr Cruise on my list.


finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on March 04, 2010, 10:18:46 PM
You've left off our two best film actors:

Chris Cooper
Meryl Streep

I'd also say that there are several out there better than RR's original list, including -- believe it or not -- Leonardo Di Caprio.

Pacino is a caricature of himself these days.
Meryl Streep is clearly a very good shout.

She is the US version of Audrey Hepburn (if she was still alive) and by far the classiest actress in the business. Not sold on the other two Mr Hatter.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Tom

"The Dude"  :D  Ice Cube? Kidding it's a joke!
Fulham for life!

Lighthouse

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on March 05, 2010, 04:01:08 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on March 04, 2010, 07:57:00 PM
Martin Sheen,Toby Maguire,Tom Cruise, Kevin Spacey, Brad Pitt

OK Mr Lighthouse, I'll take the bait. 4 of these gents are very good actors - and the other one is Tom Cruise.
Peculiar individual and a very limited actor IMHO. I actually avoid watching anything that he features in.
Tommy Lee Jones, Dennis Hopper, Christopher Walken - even John Travolta would be well ahead of Mr Cruise on my list.

I tend to agree. But he has been in some successful stuff. Greatest can cover so many things.Have to admit I am sad the threads ARE ABOUT Living Actors.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope


blingo


Dragoman


Lighthouse

Quote from: Dragoman on March 05, 2010, 11:04:48 AM
Don't forget TROY McCLURE !

Probably THE LAST TIME I saw him was - Man versus Nature, The road to victory or Smoke Yourself thin.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope


Dragoman

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 05, 2010, 11:17:03 AM
Quote from: Dragoman on March 05, 2010, 11:04:48 AM
Don't forget TROY McCLURE !

Probably THE LAST TIME I saw him was - Man versus Nature, The road to victory or Smoke Yourself thin.

Do you know that the name Troy McClure was made up from the names of two hammy, B movie actors: Troy Donahue and Doug McClure ?

Lighthouse

Doug McClure HAMMY? Surely not. The Virginian tv series  was a classic. The Land That Time Forgot was ... Yes I see your point.

Troy Donahue on the other hand I knew nothing about. But will find out.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope