watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Another take on the Malbrangue retirement

Started by Lighthouse, September 02, 2011, 12:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

STEED Malbranque has shocked football by hanging up his boots in the week when Fulham signed three new players – including £10.6million Bryan Ruiz.

The Whites hero for five years between 2001-06, and the one greeted with "Ste-e-e-e-ed" by the Fulham faithful every time his name was announced, has stunned French club St Etienne by walking out on them less than two months after joining from Sunderland.

Still only 31, Malbranque is understood to have rowed with his father over the contract negotiated by Malbranque senior, and begged his new team to be released from the deal.

Sources close to St Etienne reckon his father's interference throughout his career, including when he was at Fulham, came to a head this week.

The source said: "When Steed saw and understood the real terms of his contract he decided enough was enough.

"He expected his father, of all people, to do a better job."

St Etienne coach Christophe Galtier added: "Steed came to see me to say that he was having personal problems. I saw a troubled guy and I'm worried about him."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/09/02/fulham-signs-three-as-former-whites-hero-quits-64767-29345021/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1WnIFipPK
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Airfix

Heard he'd been having trouble with his father when he was with us.  I think Steed is just a little flower sometimes but he did well for us so I'll wish him well.

epsomraver

Warburton is a muppet! :014: :014:Steed was a very moody player, no one at Fulham knew from day to day who was going to turn up, why the local rag would get the inside on this story beggers belief, "a source said" typical Sun crap where Warburton got the boot from. As you can tell he is not my favourite person.

Sheepskin Junior

I thought he stopped because his son has cancer
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

The Equalizer

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 02, 2011, 12:43:44 PM

I read that too. Could have been a bit of both I suppose. Best of luck to him anyway, he was a cracking player.

We gave him a great welcome on his debut at Crystal Palace years back, but when we created the 'STEEEED' chant, I'm pretty sure we didn't put hyphens in it.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 02, 2011, 12:50:59 PM
Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 02, 2011, 12:43:44 PM

I read that too. Could have been a bit of both I suppose. Best of luck to him anyway, he was a cracking player.

We gave him a great welcome on his debut at Crystal Palace years back, but when we created the 'STEEEED' chant, I'm pretty sure we didn't put hyphens in it.

Warburton has a st-u-t-t-e-r

ron

Steed was Johnny Haynes up to the last ball, pass or shot.......and then he s-o-o-o-o-o-o wasn't !

I really liked him though.

Burt

It was a sad day when he left...

Hope it is not down to his kid having cancer. Best wishes if it is...

CULTUREVULTURE

Fernhurst

Very sad end to good career in football.

Loved him from his debut onwards. Sometimes I thought him and Boa were keeping us afloat..... Good luck Steed, whatever your reason for retiring may you find success and contentment post football.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Fernhurst on September 02, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

Loved him from his debut onwards. Sometimes I thought him and Boa were keeping us afloat..... Good luck Steed, whatever your reason for retiring may you find success and contentment post football.
Agree Fernhurst, except you have missed a certain Mr Saha - the best striker we've ever had - Not dismissing my personal all time hero, Ivor  :Haynes The Maestro:, but just being honest!

Blingo

Quote from: BestOfBrede on September 02, 2011, 09:04:15 PM
Quote from: Fernhurst on September 02, 2011, 08:37:53 PM

Agree Fernhurst, except you have missed a certain Mr Saha - the best striker we've ever had - Not dismissing my personal all time hero, Ivor  :Haynes The Maestro:, but just being honest!

+1